Postecoglou to Tottenham

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Postecoglou to Tottenham

Post by Popeye Magoo »

I wish Ange luck, but this will be a massive step up. With all due respect, coaching Celtic is a job whereby you pretty much just need to be better than Rangers, and you will get domestic success almost automatically.
Knives will be out quickly if results don't come early, but all in all, who can begrudge him from grabbing such a huge opportunity, especially a 4-year deal which will be worth very big coin. Hopefully Spurs will show some patience, much like Celtic did but anything less than Europe next season and he could be on knife's edge.
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by romarios shin »

i think he will be successful there as long as Spurs dampen their expectations, they are a top 6 side just, but are battling for 6th spot with Villa,Brighton and Chelsea, i would say if they finish 7th and have a good cup run, that is a successful season for them.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

If the reports are Correct Tottenham will pay Celtc £5million in compensation.

Tottenham want Kyogo and are prepared to pay £30 million for the 28-year-old and also may make a move for Jota and Reo Hatate..I rate Jota imho as the best of them.
Celtic will squeeze them.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

by Popeye Magoo » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:20 am

I wish Ange luck, but this will be a massive step up. With all due respect, coaching Celtic is a job whereby you pretty much just need to be better than Rangers, and you will get domestic success almost automatically.
Knives will be out quickly if results don't come early, but all in all, who can begrudge him from grabbing such a huge opportunity, especially a 4-year deal which will be worth very big coin. Hopefully Spurs will show some patience, much like Celtic did but anything less than Europe next season and he could be on knife's edge.

if you extend your logic to both sides of an arguement, you haven't considered he will be at a bigger, better-resourced club with better players....he has shown the step up from an Australian club to a Japanese club to a Scottish club hasn't fazed him nor leading the national team to a major tournament win.

his playing style blueprint and man management are transferable skills....his biggest issue is whether or not the players 'buy in'.....and if they don't, they will be shipped out.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am
eagleboy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:31 pm
haywood djablowme wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:32 pm Spurs finally get a new manager! He was their 7th choice, but hey someone had to get the job
Good on him. I hope he does well. Looks like Ange will take a big chunk of his coaching team with him to Spurs.
I recall Adelaide United passed on him and went for Viddie. :cry:

Who remembers this with that wank Craig Foster.

https://youtu.be/BPkOsjrV-KY
Foster was right at the time.
Postecoglou is a terrible national team manager.

As a club manager he is excellent as he can bring in the players he needs.

He will do well at Tottenham if he can manage the next level of player and club ego
he's never managed an elite player in his life so there are questions about his recruitment ability at that level

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:43 am

if you extend your logic to both sides of an arguement, you haven't considered he will be at a bigger, better-resourced club with better players....he has shown the step up from an Australian club to a Japanese club to a Scottish club hasn't fazed him nor leading the national team to a major tournament win.

his playing style blueprint and man management are transferable skills....his biggest issue is whether or not the players 'buy in'.....and if they don't, they will be shipped out.
What major national tournament has he won?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:34 pm

The Asian cup. Most of the world's population in the region.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm

that's international, its not a major tournament and there are no strong countries in it

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am If the reports are Correct Tottenham will pay Celtc £5million in compensation.

Tottenham want Kyogo and are prepared to pay £30 million for the 28-year-old and also may make a move for Jota and Reo Hatate..I rate Jota imho as the best of them.
Celtic will squeeze them.
source?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

zzz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:58 pm

that's international, its not a major tournament and there are no strong countries in it
The AFC Asian Cup is the primary association football competition contested by the senior men's national teams of the members of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), determining the continental champion of Asia. It is the second oldest continental football championship in the world after Copa América. The winning team becomes the champion of Asia and until 2015 qualified for the FIFA Confederations Cup.

https://youtu.be/h1YoVo_y0tU

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Watched that foster-ange interview again.

Christ Ange was cringe :oops: :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:26 pm Watched that foster-ange interview again.

And foster? what an absolute tool, ange sort him out quick smart.....
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:05 pm
zzz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:58 pm

The AFC Asian Cup is the primary association football competition contested by the senior men's national teams of the members of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), determining the continental champion of Asia. It is the second oldest continental football championship in the world after Copa América. The winning team becomes the champion of Asia and until 2015 qualified for the FIFA Confederations Cup.

https://youtu.be/h1YoVo_y0tU
A national tournament is a tournament contested by clubs within a nation. I know English is hard.
Must be that world class Aussie education system. :thumbup:

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Michael wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:47 pm
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:26 pm Watched that foster-ange interview again.

And foster? what an absolute tool, ange sort him out quick smart.....
Both knobs

But I gave points to foster/Les for a TKO

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:22 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:14 pm

*Losing Kane might not be the total disaster everyone thinks. He's obviously a world class striker but him being in the middle forces Son and Richarlison out wide and I don't think you see the best of them because of it.
Everyone?
Now, now, don't be pedantic like Hawkesy, you lack his razor sharp intelligence ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Nice One Cyril wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 pm
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:22 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:14 pm

*Losing Kane might not be the total disaster everyone thinks. He's obviously a world class striker but him being in the middle forces Son and Richarlison out wide and I don't think you see the best of them because of it.
Everyone?
Now, now, don't be pedantic like Hawkesy, you lack his razor sharp intelligence ;-)
I would never dare to compete with his mental prowess :lol:

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Last word on Postecoglou from me- Well done for the recent treble, not forgetting the double the previous season. Five out of six is a brilliant achievement in any professional football league. He was brave enough to come to Celtic on his own (without backroom staff) and guide the staff and players to a wonderful couple of seasons.

On to pastures new- Ange doesn't shirk a challenge and I hope he does himself proud at Tottenham. I am not for or against Tottenham, I just hope he does enough to prove himself as a top manager in the EPL. Many will have opinions on what he has to achieve to be deemed a success in England. Reasonable success for me is that he has to show an improvement and finish in the top six and compete with the big hitters on a consistent basis. I think this is achievable but it is far from an easy, straight-forward task. I seriously doubt he can wrestle the title from Man City or climb above the ever improving clubs like Newcastle United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. in his first season, not forgetting Brighton who performed wonderfully well.

I reckon Postecoglou will put out an entertaining football team with lots of attacking energy but fear they will leak goals at the back. If this proves to be the case his chances of any success will be severely limited. Teams that leak goals will hardly have a chance of a Cup run, never mind winning the League Title. They will be capable of hurting teams but if they have a gung-ho attitude it will prove his downfall. If he gets the defensive side sorted(a big ask) they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Bottom line for me is that to be a 'real success' and not a 'reasonable success' you have to achieve something- like winning the FA Cup or the League Title itself. Ange will be driven to achieve real success but ultimately this ambition may be well beyond him. I genuinely hope he gets a fair crack of the whip and the four year contract would appear to support this, unless the wheels fall off in a disastrous first season.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:24 pm Last word on Postecoglou from me- Well done for the recent treble, not forgetting the double the previous season. Five out of six is a brilliant achievement in any professional football league. He was brave enough to come to Celtic on his own (without backroom staff) and guide the staff and players to a wonderful couple of seasons.

On to pastures new- Ange doesn't shirk a challenge and I hope he does himself proud at Tottenham. I am not for or against Tottenham, I just hope he does enough to prove himself as a top manager in the EPL. Many will have opinions on what he has to achieve to be deemed a success in England. Reasonable success for me is that he has to show an improvement and finish in the top six and compete with the big hitters on a consistent basis. I think this is achievable but it is far from an easy, straight-forward task. I seriously doubt he can wrestle the title from Man City or climb above the ever improving clubs like Newcastle United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. in his first season, not forgetting Brighton who performed wonderfully well.

I reckon Postecoglou will put out an entertaining football team with lots of attacking energy but fear they will leak goals at the back. If this proves to be the case his chances of any success will be severely limited. Teams that leak goals will hardly have a chance of a Cup run, never mind winning the League Title. They will be capable of hurting teams but if they have a gung-ho attitude it will prove his downfall. If he gets the defensive side sorted(a big ask) they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Bottom line for me is that to be a 'real success' and not a 'reasonable success' you have to achieve something- like winning the FA Cup or the League Title itself. Ange will be driven to achieve real success but ultimately this ambition may be well beyond him. I genuinely hope he gets a fair crack of the whip and the four year contract would appear to support this, unless the wheels fall off in a disastrous first season.
Your correct. Scoring goals has not been an issue for Spurs this year. They have leaked too many goals. That is what Ange needs to look at. The sale of Kane may give them an opportunity to buy players at both ends.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:20 pmScoring goals has not been an issue for Spurs this year. They have leaked too many goals.
Pretty much every Spurs fan thinks the same. Lloris has never been the same since he smashed his elbow, needs to go. We should have spent £60m on a keeper, not Richarlison.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

So, what MAJOR NATIONAL tournament has he won?

It's An Injustice
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by It's An Injustice »

Do you have any other records?
What does the fox say?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

It's An Injustice wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:50 pm Do you have any other records?
Have you heard "I'm glad I could educate you"?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:32 pm
It's An Injustice wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:50 pm Do you have any other records?

It's An Injustice
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by It's An Injustice »

Even David Bowie had to kill of Ziggy Stardust and some point.
What does the fox say?

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Simple - C grade coach, coaching a C grade club
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

haywood djablowme wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 pm Simple - C grade coach, coaching a C grade club
What has he done to upset you buttercup? ;-)

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:02 pm
Yeah ok, play this record for a few more days, but then can you put on "so none then, glad I could educate you"?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:15 pm
haywood djablowme wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 pm Simple - C grade coach, coaching a C grade club
What has he done to upset you buttercup? ;-)
:lol: Yeah haywood, what's your problem? You need better bait to catch this wily old fish ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:58 am
Yeah ok, play this record for a few more days, but then can you put on "so none then, glad I could educate you"?
Is this another one you can't answer?

It's fun making you look silly. I hope it never gets boring

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

God is an Englishman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:20 pm
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:58 am
Is this another one you can't answer?

It's fun making you look silly. I hope it never gets boring
I'm not the one defending Postecoglou, brainiac :wave: