British Super League?

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Post Reply
User avatar
Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
Posts: 1992
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 17 times

British Super League?

Post by Michael »

Celtic & Rangers to join a new revises British Super League?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... er-league/
CELTIC and Rangers are wanted to join a BRITISH League as part of the fall-out from the failed Euro breakaway plot.

While the Big Six led the humiliating retreat from the Super League debacle, they remain convinced that reform of the Prem is essential.


Celtic are also wanted to join the revamp as part of the fall-out of the failed Euro breakaway


The potential British Premier League is expected to get the green light from Fifa and Uefa
Top of the list of plans being actively discussed is an offer to the two Glasgow giants to come south of Hadrian’s Wall.

And unlike the Super League shambles which was condemned globally, it's likely an enlarged Premier League including the Old Firm would be BACKED by Fifa, Uefa and the UK Government.

Celtic and Rangers would jump at the chance to take a slice of the Prem cake, while their inclusion would also see a spike in interest from fans across the world, sponsors and broadcasters.

Even the pair’s SPL rivals are thought likely to be willing to wave goodbye to the two dominant forces north of the border, because it would give them a realistic chance of winning the title and the chance to qualify for the revamped Champions League.

One club source said: “Whether or not the Super League was going to happen, we all feel that the Premier League has to be changed and improved.

“It is time we opened it up to Rangers and Celtic. That would make sense for everyone.”

Reform of the Prem has been a huge discussion point since October’s publication of the Project Big Picture plans drafted by Liverpool and Manchester United.

Prem chief executive Richard Masters was forced to agree to a “strategic review” of the competition’s future, conceding “the status quo is not an option”, which was conducted by US-owned Boston Consulting and is due to report back in June.

In addition to the Rangers and Celtic plan, one other idea is an end of season top four play-off, similar to that in rugby union and rugby league.

But they are also still pushing, firmly, for a reduction to the 18 team league that was envisaged at the outset of the Prem when it was formed three decades ago.

Another club chief added: “We have never wavered from the belief that 18 clubs is the only sensible way forward.

“It is also what Uefa, Fifa and the European Club Association have long called for.”

That may be a proposal too far for the 14 members of the 'left behind club' who ganged up to help win the Super League battle with the Big Six.


But unlike the doomed Super League, there would be global backing for a British League.

Fifa President Gianni Infantino gave his blessing for cross-border leagues when asked about proposals for mergers between Holland and Belgium and Mexico and the MLS.

Infantino said: “If we want teams to play at the highest level around the world we need to have new ideas and we need to see that.

“I am confident the best decisions will be made in that regard but any mergers must be done with respect to the rules.”

And while PM Boris Johnson launched into the Super League debate by insisting he would throw every possible obstacle in the way of the changes, the prospect of including Rangers and Celtic in a cross-border UK league would be a potential factor in the fight against the proposed second Scottish independence referendum.

Ibrox and Parkhead supporters, excited at the prospect of locking horns with England’s big guns, might be tempted to strengthen resistance against the SNP-led breakaway plans.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach
Posts: 21736
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by ozzie owl »

Michael wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:04 pm Celtic & Rangers to join a new revises British Super League?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... er-league/
CELTIC and Rangers are wanted to join a BRITISH League as part of the fall-out from the failed Euro breakaway plot.

While the Big Six led the humiliating retreat from the Super League debacle, they remain convinced that reform of the Prem is essential.


Celtic are also wanted to join the revamp as part of the fall-out of the failed Euro breakaway


The potential British Premier League is expected to get the green light from Fifa and Uefa
Top of the list of plans being actively discussed is an offer to the two Glasgow giants to come south of Hadrian’s Wall.

And unlike the Super League shambles which was condemned globally, it's likely an enlarged Premier League including the Old Firm would be BACKED by Fifa, Uefa and the UK Government.

Celtic and Rangers would jump at the chance to take a slice of the Prem cake, while their inclusion would also see a spike in interest from fans across the world, sponsors and broadcasters.

Even the pair’s SPL rivals are thought likely to be willing to wave goodbye to the two dominant forces north of the border, because it would give them a realistic chance of winning the title and the chance to qualify for the revamped Champions League.

One club source said: “Whether or not the Super League was going to happen, we all feel that the Premier League has to be changed and improved.

“It is time we opened it up to Rangers and Celtic. That would make sense for everyone.”

Reform of the Prem has been a huge discussion point since October’s publication of the Project Big Picture plans drafted by Liverpool and Manchester United.

Prem chief executive Richard Masters was forced to agree to a “strategic review” of the competition’s future, conceding “the status quo is not an option”, which was conducted by US-owned Boston Consulting and is due to report back in June.

In addition to the Rangers and Celtic plan, one other idea is an end of season top four play-off, similar to that in rugby union and rugby league.

But they are also still pushing, firmly, for a reduction to the 18 team league that was envisaged at the outset of the Prem when it was formed three decades ago.

Another club chief added: “We have never wavered from the belief that 18 clubs is the only sensible way forward.

“It is also what Uefa, Fifa and the European Club Association have long called for.”

That may be a proposal too far for the 14 members of the 'left behind club' who ganged up to help win the Super League battle with the Big Six.


But unlike the doomed Super League, there would be global backing for a British League.

Fifa President Gianni Infantino gave his blessing for cross-border leagues when asked about proposals for mergers between Holland and Belgium and Mexico and the MLS.

Infantino said: “If we want teams to play at the highest level around the world we need to have new ideas and we need to see that.

“I am confident the best decisions will be made in that regard but any mergers must be done with respect to the rules.”

And while PM Boris Johnson launched into the Super League debate by insisting he would throw every possible obstacle in the way of the changes, the prospect of including Rangers and Celtic in a cross-border UK league would be a potential factor in the fight against the proposed second Scottish independence referendum.

Ibrox and Parkhead supporters, excited at the prospect of locking horns with England’s big guns, might be tempted to strengthen resistance against the SNP-led breakaway plans.
Why should they just walk into the EPL? They should have to start from the bottom and work their way up the ladder they can start in Div 2 of the Northern League and if they will have get promoted 9 times to reach the EPL, that sounds fair :D :D :D

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
Posts: 932
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by Scholes »

Well, if they join at all, they should start in Div. 2. They will struggle, of course, but it will a good learning curve. :lol:

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1401
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:09 am
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by thebeautifulgame »

B.Toomer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:41 pm Well, if they join at all, they should start in Div. 2. They will struggle, of course, but it will a good learning curve. :lol:
Okay, I will take the bait! ;-)

They would struggle in top flight initially if you are basing it on the money and resources but they would steadily climb and could potentially compete at the top end of the table once established. They would both do fine in the Championship, no doubt about it.
All this talk that they couldn't compete is nonsense.
Personally I think it is all media hype and it is not likely to happen in the near future if at all. I would like to see them stay in Scotland and see the others like Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc. improve and become more competitive. Not that simple as
once more the real reason they can't consistently compete with Rangers and Celtic is the lack of money and resources.
That said if my lot don't get their finger out soon (due to poor internal decisions/mismanagement and dare I say it arrogance) they will continue to be second best in Glasgow, especially if Gerrard is prepared to stick around. I hope he does stay as I honestly want Celtic to improve and not for Rangers to go backwards for the sake of the Scottish game in general.
Unless Celtic secure the services of Howe (looking more unlikely with each passing day) or someone of a similar standard it shows that Celtic are NOT as ambitious as their main rivals.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

there are 27 tiers of football in england. if some mega rich person bought a bottom tier club and won promotion every year it would take them 27 years to reach the epl. this is where the passion comes from but here in oz we cannot get a second div for A LEAGUE.BUGGA. :roll:

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

theorakle wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:03 am there are 27 tiers of football in england. if some mega rich person bought a bottom tier club and won promotion every year it would take them 27 years to reach the epl. this is where the passion comes from but here in oz we cannot get a second div for A LEAGUE.BUGGA. :roll:
that is why we cannot move forward internationaly here without a second div, its about bloody time to become like all other football nations on this planet, unlike afl, :thumbdown:

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 51452
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by God is an Englishman »

theorakle wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:03 am there are 27 tiers of football in england. if some mega rich person bought a bottom tier club and won promotion every year it would take them 27 years to reach the epl. this is where the passion comes from but here in oz we cannot get a second div for A LEAGUE.BUGGA. :roll:

You can apply to be in a higher division than Step 27. I know of clubs that have started as high as Step 9.
Image

User avatar
Bodø Glimt
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:24 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by Bodø Glimt »

I know of clubs that have started at the top tier, albeit in the 1800's
Image

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

Bodø Glimt wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:20 pm I know of clubs that have started at the top tier, albeit in the 1800's
at that time they were the only tier, twelve of them, the game then grew from there. blackburn bolton burnley everton preston aston villa derby notts county stoke wba wolves and accrington not stanley which came later, cheers, :wave:

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

i would like to see a comp consisting of the top 4 teams from spl and epl at seasons end, would be good for spl teams to strive for, a money spinner for them which does not wreck either league, unfortunately british football is now dominated by rich yanks who just see our game as a cash cow to make them even richer, they are not interested in the game its self because they did not invent it,which means they feel they have to change things so in time other generations would think that they did, postscript, just try telling them their electoral system is no good and should be revised, :roll:

User avatar
Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by Raich Carter »

theorakle wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:27 am i would like to see a comp consisting of the top 4 teams from spl and epl at seasons end, would be good for spl teams to strive for, a money spinner for them which does not wreck either league, unfortunately british football is now dominated by rich yanks who just see our game as a cash cow to make them even richer, they are not interested in the game its self because they did not invent it,which means they feel they have to change things so in time other generations would think that they did, postscript, just try telling them their electoral system is no good and should be revised, :roll:
It's not dominated by yanks and what have they specifically changed in the way the game is played?
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

Raich Carter wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:03 am
theorakle wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:27 am i would like to see a comp consisting of the top 4 teams from spl and epl at seasons end, would be good for spl teams to strive for, a money spinner for them which does not wreck either league, unfortunately british football is now dominated by rich yanks who just see our game as a cash cow to make them even richer, they are not interested in the game its self because they did not invent it,which means they feel they have to change things so in time other generations would think that they did, postscript, just try telling them their electoral system is no good and should be revised, :roll:
It's not dominated by yanks and what have they specifically changed in the way the game is played?
look raich yanks dont give a rats about english football, they have their own version, but we have many yankee owners in the epl and they are only there because it makes them money and for no other reason, at least the sheiks are fans, :thumbdown:

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 51452
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by God is an Englishman »

theorakle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:38 pm
Raich Carter wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:03 am
theorakle wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:27 am i would like to see a comp consisting of the top 4 teams from spl and epl at seasons end, would be good for spl teams to strive for, a money spinner for them which does not wreck either league, unfortunately british football is now dominated by rich yanks who just see our game as a cash cow to make them even richer, they are not interested in the game its self because they did not invent it,which means they feel they have to change things so in time other generations would think that they did, postscript, just try telling them their electoral system is no good and should be revised, :roll:
It's not dominated by yanks and what have they specifically changed in the way the game is played?
look raich yanks dont give a rats about english football, they have their own version, but we have many yankee owners in the epl and they are only there because it makes them money and for no other reason, at least the sheiks are fans, :thumbdown:

Millwall have an american owner, probably the best owner we've had.
Image

User avatar
Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by Raich Carter »

theorakle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:38 pm
Raich Carter wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:03 am
theorakle wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:27 am i would like to see a comp consisting of the top 4 teams from spl and epl at seasons end, would be good for spl teams to strive for, a money spinner for them which does not wreck either league, unfortunately british football is now dominated by rich yanks who just see our game as a cash cow to make them even richer, they are not interested in the game its self because they did not invent it,which means they feel they have to change things so in time other generations would think that they did, postscript, just try telling them their electoral system is no good and should be revised, :roll:
It's not dominated by yanks and what have they specifically changed in the way the game is played?
look raich yanks dont give a rats about english football, they have their own version, but we have many yankee owners in the epl and they are only there because it makes them money and for no other reason, at least the sheiks are fans, :thumbdown:
So you don't mind an EPL club being owned by a country that stones women for being raped, that throw gays from building and have been bombing the Yemen for 8 or so years.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

cbviously not but i would trade the glazers at man u for any sheik from anyware.taliban are even worse they think women are for cooking and rooting only, they can have 4 eleven year old girls each to marry and because of biden 20 years of democracy has gone down the shoot, 1984 was an insightfull book, i read it in school and thought it scary even then and now years later it seems like it could actualy come true, :thumbdown:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by eagleboy »

theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 pm cbviously not but i would trade the glazers at man u for any sheik from anyware.taliban are even worse they think women are for cooking and rooting only, they can have 4 eleven year old girls each to marry and because of biden 20 years of democracy has gone down the shoot, 1984 was an insightfull book, i read it in school and thought it scary even then and now years later it seems like it could actualy come true, :thumbdown:
Are you saying that the Glazers have not put money into Man U.? Just what medications are you on?

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 51452
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by God is an Englishman »

theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 pm cbviously not but i would trade the glazers at man u for any sheik from anyware.taliban are even worse they think women are for cooking and rooting only, they can have 4 eleven year old girls each to marry and because of biden 20 years of democracy has gone down the shoot, 1984 was an insightfull book, i read it in school and thought it scary even then and now years later it seems like it could actualy come true, :thumbdown:

Ahh, so all Arabs are taliban?
Image

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

eagleboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:43 pm
theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 pm cbviously not but i would trade the glazers at man u for any sheik from anyware.taliban are even worse they think women are for cooking and rooting only, they can have 4 eleven year old girls each to marry and because of biden 20 years of democracy has gone down the shoot, 1984 was an insightfull book, i read it in school and thought it scary even then and now years later it seems like it could actualy come true, :thumbdown:
Are you saying that the Glazers have not put money into Man U.? Just what medications are you on?
they have taken a bloody sight more out, the only reason they are there is to line their pockets like all the rest of them, the equasion is simple no loot no yanks, dont know who you support but millions of man u fans would support what ive posted on here, :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by eagleboy »

theorakle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 am
eagleboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:43 pm
theorakle wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 pm cbviously not but i would trade the glazers at man u for any sheik from anyware.taliban are even worse they think women are for cooking and rooting only, they can have 4 eleven year old girls each to marry and because of biden 20 years of democracy has gone down the shoot, 1984 was an insightfull book, i read it in school and thought it scary even then and now years later it seems like it could actualy come true, :thumbdown:
Are you saying that the Glazers have not put money into Man U.? Just what medications are you on?
they have taken a bloody sight more out, the only reason they are there is to line their pockets like all the rest of them, the equasion is simple no loot no yanks, dont know who you support but millions of man u fans would support what ive posted on here, :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
You have evidence that millions of Man U fans agree with you or that the Glazer's are just there to make money.
BTW I'm a Chelsea fan. Our owner supports his club but unfortunately, was born in the wrong country.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

that sounds like a giae :?: yes im totaly sure, oh by the way 9 pills in the morning and 7 in the evening, thats before giae asks why i didnt answer the :?: romans not a yank but i believe another yank wants to buy chelsea now, i wonder why, :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 pm
Has thanked: 270 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by eagleboy »

theorakle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:27 pm that sounds like a giae :?: yes im totaly sure, oh by the way 9 pills in the morning and 7 in the evening, thats before giae asks why i didnt answer the :?: romans not a yank but i believe another yank wants to buy chelsea now, i wonder why, :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I do agree they are a dodgy family.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

eagleboy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:32 pm
theorakle wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:27 pm that sounds like a giae :?: yes im totaly sure, oh by the way 9 pills in the morning and 7 in the evening, thats before giae asks why i didnt answer the :?: romans not a yank but i believe another yank wants to buy chelsea now, i wonder why, :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
I do agree they are a dodgy family.
they are just legal crooks con men just like pollies, the glazers have taken about 20 million out of man u ,to them its just business baby which is why the rich yaNKS are there, at least arabs like the game and will put money in instead of useing our clubs as a cash cow like the yanks do, if the milkmaids/glazers sell utd it will be to the arabs, the club is valued at 4.3 billion the robber glazers want 6.o billion, carnt see sir jim affording that even if he is a mancunian. its just a bloody shame but anybody would be better owners than the looting and pilaging glazers :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

User avatar
Get In The Car
Promising Junior
Promising Junior
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by Get In The Car »

It never gets old.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player
Posts: 2795
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: British Super League?

Post by theorakle »

Get In The Car wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:39 pm It never gets old.
money is the root of all evil.fact. nobody ever cared about the poor. fact. no one ever will. fact. :roll:

Post Reply