AUWFC vs Canberra

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

AUWFC vs Canberra

Post by United We Stand »

Good luck to the Lady Reds in their game against Canberra. They have performed well and recorded some good results (Especially away to Melb. City) lately. However, they will be up against a very talented and dangerous Canberra team smarting from a heavy loss to Sydney FC last round. They will also be reinforced by Lisa De Vanna,who made her first appearance as a sub last week. I hope the girls can record that elusive first win and get off the bottom of the table.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: AUWFC vs Canberra

Post by Rightside »

I think its very unfortunate timing to play Canberra after their recent belting and now with DeVanna, I have no doubt our girls will give it all they have but Canberra have so many great players that know each other well and play well together and will be hungry for a turn around result from last week so can see us conceding plenty.

Interesting move at City to make Fishlock Player/Coach. Surely a tough gig to balance both.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Rightside wrote:I think its very unfortunate timing to play Canberra after their recent belting and now with DeVanna, I have no doubt our girls will give it all they have but Canberra have so many great players that know each other well and play well together and will be hungry for a turn around result from last week so can see us conceding plenty.

Interesting move at City to make Fishlock Player/Coach. Surely a tough gig to balance both.

I agree with your comments re the timing of this fixture and that Canberra have so many great players. Heyman is out injured, but they have a settled lineup and they will be hungry to atone for last week. I was shocked that they copped so many goals against them. It is normally what Canberra do to other teams with their array of great attacking players. I hope that Huss will consider playing a little more "conservatively" and include a defensive midfielder to counter Canberra's attacking threat. This is especially so as Monica is out injured. Scalzi is a very good replacement, but Canberra are an awesome attacking threat all over the ground. The Lady Reds will need nullify their midfield and stop the supply of passes (From the back and in midfield) to those great attacking players. I do, however, acknowledge that the girls have done well with the high energy pressing game in recent weeks. My concern is that it is a very draining/tiring game and they will need adequate defensive-minded cover on the bench.United keep conceding late goals and this has been due to tiredness as well as lapses in concentration.

It isn't easy to be a player/coach, but Fishlock is an experienced player who has shown "leadership" on the field in every game that she has played. You can always see that she is encouraging, directing and "coaching" the players. She also 'leads by example" and is a great player. Therefore, although it isn't easy, it is a logical move to install the "Welsh Wizard" as Head Coach with the vastly experienced Patrick Kisnorbo as Assistant Coach on the sidelines.
Last edited by United We Stand on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think City's issue all season has been that Montemurro has been stretched too thin He's the NYL head coach and has been the Aleague assistant as well as the wleague head coach. I think Fishlock has been running trainings for much of the season. Women's game getting short shrifted again. Like Huss has dual responsibilities. What would happen if an ALeague head coach was asked to do something else as well?
Im not sure whether other Wleague coaches have more than one job, but as far as I'm concerned it's an equity issue that needs to be resolved.
And I don't believe in having a player/coach. No disrespect to Fishlock, who is brilliant, but I think it is once again short changing the women's game.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

juniorsupporter wrote:I think City's issue all season has been that Montemurro has been stretched too thin He's the NYL head coach and has been the Aleague assistant as well as the wleague head coach. I think Fishlock has been running trainings for much of the season. Women's game getting short shrifted again. Like Huss has dual responsibilities. What would happen if an ALeague head coach was asked to do something else as well?
Im not sure whether other Wleague coaches have more than one job, but as far as I'm concerned it's an equity issue that needs to be resolved.
And I don't believe in having a player/coach. No disrespect to Fishlock, who is brilliant, but I think it is once again short changing the women's game.

I agree that Montemurro has been pulled in too many directions. He, had THREE positions-A-League Assistant Coach, NYL Coach and W-League Coach. Huss has DUAL responsibilities as W-League Coach and NYL Coach. Does anyone on this forum know if Huss actually takes all the training sessions for the W-League? Does he leave his Assistant Coach( Catanzaro) to take some of the sessions while he takes the NYL squad? Does anyone on this forum with a daughter/has a friend with a daughter in the W-League squad or is friends with girls/ in the W-League squad (Maybe Sportsbird?) know about how Huss goes about coaching two teams?
Last edited by United We Stand on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

Huss takes training. Youth sessions are run different times. Joe has always had his assistants run majority of work at sessions.
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Thanks for your response Gee Kay. I was more wondering about what happens say when the youth team have a game at home, but the girls are travelling interstate. Anyway, back to the topic. Well done to the Lady Reds. Apparently it was a good performance and was a thrilling game. Good to see Lucy Adamopoulos get some minutes after being injured for most of the season. It is a pity that there weren't more detailed match reports (in the media) written or more detailed "commentary" on the United website. I haven't seen any video highlights either which is disappointing as we do not get any real information about the match.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

You will see that no game clashes, if though the girls travel and the youth are playing elsewhere he will normally meet the girls in the city they are playing in.
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

good result all up with a well deserved draw

Canberra looked to bounce back but we showed some character and never gave in.

hopefully give the team some belief heading into remaining games.
Im closer than you think

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

FoundIt wrote:hopefully give the team some belief heading into remaining games.
More like a lot of belief this Sat. night's match vs WSW is definitely within reach of that elusive first win.
I'm hoping we can get a very good crowd on the night to cheer them home & then kick on from there in the last couple of games.

Btw just a side note; it would be nice too if the 'American' contingent at the end of the home matches (I know disappointment gets in the way sometimes) took the time to sign autographs for many of the young fans that line up. Not a good look to walk straight past. :x

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

scar wrote:
FoundIt wrote:hopefully give the team some belief heading into remaining games.
More like a lot of belief this Sat. night's match vs WSW is definitely within reach of that elusive first win.
I'm hoping we can get a very good crowd on the night to cheer them home & then kick on from there in the last couple of games.

Btw just a side note; it would be nice too if the 'American' contingent at the end of the home matches (I know disappointment gets in the way sometimes) took the time to sign autographs for many of the young fans that line up. Not a good look to walk straight past. :x

I agree Scar. United have been very competitive against some really good sides like Melb. City and Canberra lately. That must have boosted their confidence and belief. They should have beaten Newcastle as well as it was only a dubious penalty awarded against Eliza Campbell that robbed the team of a win. The girls only narrowly lost to WSW in Sydney early in the season and are certainly capable of beating them and getting that elusive first win.They are much more settled now and they should have Monica back to boost their chances.

I haven't noticed the American contingent not taking the time to sign autographs. However, I agree that they should. I have noticed Michelle Heyman and Samantha Kerr taking the time to sign plenty of autographs and take "selfies" with young fans. The joy on those young girls faces was clearly evident. Our "star" players should do the same.