Best Manager EVER

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Best Manager EVER

Post by God is an Englishman »

Do you think fergie did enough to overtake paisley?

Personally, not quite. 3 European cups is hard to beat.

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Best Manager EVER

Post by Statler and Waldorf »

Chapman was far better.
Whats wrong with you?
Its either indigestion or this forum, and I hope its indigestion
Why?
Because at least I know that will get better in a little while

the fink
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by the fink »

God is an Englishman wrote:Do you think fergie did enough to overtake paisley?

especially as paisley did that in such a short time

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

cue the debate about how it's harder to win now than then....

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If someone can work it out this way

6 points Euro Cup
5 points League
4 Points UEFA CUP
3 Points FA Cup
2 Points Cup Winners Cup
1 point League Cup

Charity Shield, Super Cup, World Club etc should be discounted

Then work out the average per season for each manger, we will get a rough idea.

Obviously my man, Chapman won't get near the top as there was no European or League Cup.
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The Kop wrote:cue the debate about how it's harder to win now than then....
But there is no debate, it's easier now. As you don't have to win your league, we got to a final without being Champions in 2006

Also you can lose many games and still go through a round robin stage.
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

SIR Alex Ferguson
Bob Paisly

spot the difference

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

Gary Neville wrote:Some people complain that Sir Alex won the Champions League only twice in 26 years. But only a mug would compare the old European Cup to the Champions League.
Teams won the European Cup three or four years on the bounce. No team have defended the Champions League.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jimbob wrote:
Gary Neville wrote:Some people complain that Sir Alex won the Champions League only twice in 26 years. But only a mug would compare the old European Cup to the Champions League.
Teams won the European Cup three or four years on the bounce. No team have defended the Champions League.

gary neville's a lefty piece of cabernet though.

look at the amount of teams that have won the cup winners cup that wouldn't have even qualified for the european cup. That speaks volumes.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

laurel and hardy wrote:If someone can work it out this way

6 points Euro Cup
5 points League
4 Points UEFA CUP
3 Points FA Cup
2 Points Cup Winners Cup
1 point League Cup

Charity Shield, Super Cup, World Club etc should be discounted

Then work out the average per season for each manger, we will get a rough idea.

Obviously my man, Chapman won't get near the top as there was no European or League Cup.
OK, some quick maths makes this:

Paisley: 55 points - 6.11 a season

Fergie (just man u): 91 points - 3.37 a season
Fergie (overall): 121 points - 3.10 a season.

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

both great managers
I speak nothing but the truth

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Le King wrote:

SIR Alex Ferguson
Bob Paisly

spot the difference
Aah, but Bob had a fabric named after him :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

threesome wrote:

especially as paisley did that in such a short time
After Shanks had done all the hard work, then retired and left him in the box seat.

I'm sure some Pool fans will disagree, but I can't think of one that I know who thinks Paisley was a better manager than Shanks.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

Had to be Champions of country back in Paisleys day
things happen for a reason

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Le King wrote:

SIR Alex Ferguson
Bob Paisly

spot the difference
WG Grace was a far better cricketer than Sir Ian Botham. I know Botham got his knighthood for charity work as wells but if he wasn't a cricketer he wouldn't have been knighted. Being knighted doesn't make you better.

Ryan Giggs world CUp appearances is zero, are you saying that he is worse than my man Theo.

Also its the modern day thing to give knighthoods, Paisley would have gotten one if he was in The modern era, there is no doubt.

Finally, of course Gary Neville would say that, he benefited from the simple to win cup era.
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

laurel and hardy wrote:
Finally, of course Gary Neville would say that, he benefited from the simple to win cup era.
Simple to win? Yet not one team has ever won it back to back, not even the great Barca or Madrid teams.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

Jimbob wrote:
laurel and hardy wrote:
Simple to win? Yet not one team has ever won it back to back, not even the great Barca or Madrid teams.
Spot on. That was a good article by Neville. No team has gone back to back in the new format.
Not denying that paisley was a gd manager, but he inherited a pretty decent team off shankly... That's y people say shanks was better than paisley. Although managers are judged on trophies won, its also the ability to build and develop a squad which are qualities of a great manager

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Paisley converted Kennedy from Forward to midfield in his first season.

Us Arsenal fans laughed, as we knew how good Kennedy was up front. Paisley shut us up.
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

When man u won the champions league in 98, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

When chelsea won the champions league in 12, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

When liverpool won the champions league in 05, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

I can't be bothered looking it up but I don't think they would have. Therefore, it's a clear fact that it's easier to win the european cup now as they wouldn't have won the old European Cup.

The rest is just subjective and opinion, the above is FACT!

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

God is an Englishman wrote:When man u won the champions league in 98, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

When chelsea won the champions league in 12, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

When liverpool won the champions league in 05, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

I can't be bothered looking it up but I don't think they would have. Therefore, it's a clear fact that it's easier to win the european cup now as they wouldn't have won the old European Cup.

Man Utd didn't win the Champions League in '98. So therefore, the above is not fact.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

sephiroth wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:When man u won the champions league in 98, would they have even qualified for the old european cup?

Man Utd didn't win the Champions League in '98. So therefore, the above is not fact.

You are correct, it was 99. Point still valid though.

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

Don't really want to get into this argument again as we've gone over this before but....

yes, GIAE you are correct, the one indisputable fact is that it used to be champions only back in the old format. Nobody is denying this. But this fact on it's own straight away meant the old format was easier because you excluded the 2-3 other best teams from each country from playing each year.

This is the only argument you've ever put forward on this subject, well done. To win it in the current format, you really have to be one of the best ahead of the creme de la creme of European football.

But yes, strictly speaking it was harder then because you had to win the league first to even compete. The argument goes a bit beyond that however.

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Making it a league format now has also made it easier to win. You can afford to lose 3 games in a row and qualify.

When Liverpool won it in 05 they were not the best in Europe
Chelsea were not the best in Europe last season

In the past the winners were arguably the best team in Europe, you did get minnows getting to the final, but they never seemed to win it, Bruges, Malmo etc
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

Jimbob wrote:Don't really want to get into this argument again as we've gone over this before but....

yes, GIAE you are correct, the one indisputable fact is that it used to be champions only back in the old format. Nobody is denying this. But this fact on it's own straight away meant the old format was easier because you excluded the 2-3 other best teams from each country from playing each year.

This is the only argument you've ever put forward on this subject, well done. To win it in the current format, you really have to be one of the best ahead of the creme de la creme of European football.

But yes, strictly speaking it was harder then because you had to win the league first to even compete. The argument goes a bit beyond that however.
Teams these days that finish 2nd and 3rd in the bigger leagues eg England Spain Italy n Germany, can beat most teams that come top in other leagues
Personally I believe it's harder these days to win it as the competition is much harder

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jimbob wrote:Don't really want to get into this argument again as we've gone over this before but....

to win the tournament, first you had to qualify. If you can't qualify, you can't win it.

Can you prove that a team that won the old european cup, wouldn't be able to win the champions league because i've proved beyond all doubt that a champions league winners wouldn't have won the old european cup.

As i said, the rest is subjective and opinion. You couldn't really lose games in the european cup but you wouldn't have had barcelona, real, inter and ac all in the same tournament. Subjective and opinon compared to FACT!

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Le King, why its it harder.

Look at the 99 Comp, Man Utd won less than half of (I think) of their games!!!!!
Whats wrong with you?
Why?

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

laurel and hardy wrote:Le King, why its it harder.

Look at the 99 Comp, Man Utd won less than half of (I think) of their games!!!!!
In the old format to win the whole thing you had to navigate through what, 5 rounds of knockout matches with the first rounds against Shamrock Rovers and Grasshoppers?

Now, not only do you have to qualify from a group stage, you then have to play 4 knockout rounds against the BEST teams in Europe. In the old format, roughly only a quarter of the best teams in Europe were competing each year.

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

God is an Englishman wrote:

to win the tournament, first you had to qualify. If you can't qualify, you can't win it.

Can you prove that a team that won the old european cup, wouldn't be able to win the champions league because i've proved beyond all doubt that a champions league winners wouldn't have won the old european cup.

As i said, the rest is subjective and opinion. You couldn't really lose games in the european cup but you wouldn't have had barcelona, real, inter and ac all in the same tournament. Subjective and opinon compared to FACT!
Zzzzzzzzzzz

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Jimbob wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Jimbob wrote:
laurel and hardy wrote:Le King, why its it harder.

In the old format to win the whole thing you had to navigate through what, 5 rounds of knockout matches with the first rounds against Shamrock Rovers and Grasshoppers?

Now, not only do you have to qualify from a group stage, you then have to play 4 knockout rounds against the BEST teams in Europe. In the old format, roughly only a quarter of the best teams in Europe were competing each year.
I would think travelling behind the iron curtain was tougher than than flying on chartered planes round Europe like they do now.

As a UTD fan you wouldn't know about such things, having not been champions or competing in the comp for over a quarter of a century.
Whats wrong with you?
Why?