Georgie Best

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Georgie Best

Post by MegaBonus »

in the never ending debate about who the best player to have ever played the game, usually pele v maradona, heres a little anecdote...

not only would i have loved to have seen him play but he wouldve made a great 'guest speaker'....oh the stories he could recite.....
George Best. This sums him up (from an article in the Guardian at the time of his death) :-

In 1976, Northern Ireland were drawn against Holland in Rotterdam as one of their group qualifying matches for the World Cup. Back then the reporters stayed at the same hotel as the team and travelled with them on the coach to the game. As it happened I sat beside George on the way to the stadium that evening.

Holland - midway between successive World Cup final appearances - and Johan Cruyff were at their peak at the time. George wasn't. I asked him what he thought of the acknowledged world number one and he said he thought the Dutchman was outstanding. 'Better than you?' I asked. George looked at me and laughed. 'You're kidding aren't you? I tell you what I'll do tonight... I'll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.' And we both laughed at the thought.

A couple of hours later the Irish players were announced one by one on to the pitch. Pat Jennings, as goalkeeper, was first out of the tunnel to appreciative applause. Best, as No 11, was last. 'And now,' revved up the PA guy, 'Number 11, Georgie [long pause] Best.' And out trotted George. Above him, a beautiful blonde reached over with a single, long-stemmed red rose.

Given his nature, his training and his peripheral vision there was no way he was going to miss her or the rose, so he stopped, trotted back, reached up to take the flower, kissed her hand and ran out on to the pitch waving his rose at the punters as the applause grew even louder.

Five minutes into the game he received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff's feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.

Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Georgie Best

Post by Le King »

Pure Genius

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MUFCBOY wrote:Flawed Genius
Corrected :)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
I believe MUFCBOY was relating his comment to what he could do on-field rather than what he did off it.

And I agree, he was right; pure genius. :P :wink:
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

footage??? or stfu :P :lol:
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
unfortunate, but correct, just shows you what happens when the booze takes over, he should be in anyones top 5 best players

in brazil maradonna doesn't get a mention, its either garincha or pele :lol:
ImageImage

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Saw him at his peak @ the old Olympic Sports Field on the Norwood parade in 1967 versus S.A.

Marvelled at black n white tv footage of him in the Euro Cup final v. Benfica.

Scored an incredible 6 goals in 1 FA cup match.

Said he honed his skills in endless scratch matches as a kid on Belfast waste-grounds.

Genius. RIP

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

DOC wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
unfortunate, but correct, just shows you what happens when the booze takes over, he should be in anyones top 5 best players

in brazil maradonna doesn't get a mention, its either garincha or pele :lol:
Being Argentinian might have something to do with that :roll:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Steelinho
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Steelinho »

<3 George Best

Quite possibly the greatest person in football ever.

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

legend
I speak nothing but the truth

R. King
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by R. King »

Con wrote:Saw him at his peak @ the old Olympic Sports Field on the Norwood parade in 1967 versus S.A.

Marvelled at black n white tv footage of him in the Euro Cup final v. Benfica.

Scored an incredible 6 goals in 1 FA cup match.

Said he honed his skills in endless scratch matches as a kid on Belfast waste-grounds.

Genius. RIP
Also saw at this game and it still sticks in my memory as THE game. When you consider who else was on the pitch at the time, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Nobby Stiles etc etc, Man U actually fielded a full strength team that day. 27,000 people turned up, and none went home disappointed.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

G Best = nowhere near the best. FFS, not even a piss take is amusing me on this one. Good/above average player yes, upper echilons, no!

:P
Ignore this signature

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Bomber, you must be referring to Besty in the 1970s when the booze and the sheilas dragged him down.

If you'd just seen him in the flesh in 1967, and all his brilliant matches for Man.U on the telly
in the late 1960s when he was young and bullet-proof. Busby used to order his troops "just give the ball to Besty".

Brilliant

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Bomber wrote:G Best = nowhere near the best. FFS, not even a piss take is amusing me on this one. Good/above average player yes, upper echilons, no!

probably just trying to get a rise out of everyone but you are joking right im not saying he is the best ever but to say he was just good/above average player is a joke he was absolute brilliance at one stage he was untouchable.

The Fountain
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Fountain »

He was born one of the Best :P
El Diego wrote:hey i get called princess all the time

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The one and only wrote:
Bomber wrote:G Best = nowhere near the best. FFS, not even a piss take is amusing me on this one. Good/above average player yes, upper echilons, no!

probably just trying to get a rise out of everyone but you are joking right im not saying he is the best ever but to say he was just good/above average player is a joke he was absolute brilliance at one stage he was untouchable.
:wink:

Oh, by the way, how many World Cups did he star in?
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote: Oh, by the way, how many World Cups did he star in?
As many as some of Poland's greats :wink:

Personally I have not seen a player with his fluency, determination on the ball, humour and desire to remain on his feet despite those aiming to chop him down......and his self destruct desire.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Bomber wrote:
The one and only wrote:

:wink:

Oh, by the way, how many World Cups did he star in?
so does that mean that you are also saying ryan giggs was just a good / above average player becasue he didnt star in a world cup ??????????????

just to put it out there messi hasnt stared in a world cup yet either so look at it as you want

jimbo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jimbo »

I maybe biased because I met George on a few occasions, but in my opinion we was the greatest ever.

Filikis Eterias
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Filikis Eterias »

I remember him playing for West Adelaide.
KYPROS-ELLAS-ENOSIS
EXO H TURKOI APO TIN KYPRO

Blotto
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Blotto »

Steelinho wrote:<3 George Best

Quite possibly the greatest person in football ever.

Paul Scholes
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Paul Scholes »

Con wrote:Bomber, you must be referring to Besty in the 1970s when the booze and the sheilas dragged him down.

If you'd just seen him in the flesh in 1967, and all his brilliant matches for Man.U on the telly
in the late 1960s when he was young and bullet-proof. Busby used to order his troops "just give the ball to Besty".

Brilliant
This is best in the 80's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HWUbFGHMU

fansi099
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by fansi099 »

hahaha :) just kidding ,i still like maradona best !!!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Greatest player I ever saw live was George Best. Sadly unlike Maradonna and Messi his international side was crap so lacked the extra motivation of playing for successful national side.