The decision making process must move on...

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

The decision making process must move on...

Post by To Mati »

These days the decision making in games is probably more crucial then ever. Every move, every decision can affect so much. FIFA truly need to get the scrapbook out and reinvent the wheel and stay up to date with modern times.

We have technology available to us to assist decisions by referees. Referees are not perfect. They are human. There is such a thing as human error. There should be more video footage at games covering many angles of play. All close decisions should be checked via as a replay broadcasted only to a fourth official on the sidelines. The situation with Henry could have been resolved accurately within seconds. Almost all of the referees decisions can be made accurately with video footage. Never will you wonder whether it was a free kick or a penalty again. Never will you wonder if it was a corner or goal kick and never will you wonder whether the ball really did go out of play.

Also, how many times, have we see a goal/non-goal because of the discrepancies in human decision making. There are microchips available now that can be inserted in the balls to confirm whether it has actually crossed the goal line in its entirety. Known as the goal line technology, it has been available for some time, yet FIFA have not implemented it.

I am not calling for any change in the laws of the game, but merely to introduce the tools to assist the referees with their decision making. The combination of video replays in my opinion should be used when the referee has some doubt and the goal line technology should be used without a doubt at all times.

Time to move on for the better of the game.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: The decision making process must move on...

Post by Red-4-Life »

agreed.
goal line technology has been talked about for too long now and no action has been taken when clearly, it needs to be done so these errors that cost teams games are not made as often as they are. even though its not all the time, its still too many times. it can be the difference between 1st and 2nd in the EPL or Goal Diff at the end of a season. Hopefully by the world cup, the most important event in world football, this is done so there are no dramas.

Astroboy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Astroboy »

I saw a report on the BBC (can't remember where sorry) that FIFA is considering extra officials and/or goal-line technology for the World Cup. To be honest I'm not a fan of extra officials, but goal-line technology is a must. Surely a ball can be invented that has a chip in it, which, when it COMPLETELY crosses the goal line, triggers a light on top of the crossbar? Just makes the AR's job slightly easier - there's no way you can judge the 2nd last defender at the same time if they're at the halfway line.

You could even rig fireworks or something, but then it would be slightly embarrassing if it was over-ruled for offside! Haha.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Astroboy wrote:I saw a report on the BBC (can't remember where sorry) that FIFA is considering extra officials and/or goal-line technology for the World Cup. To be honest I'm not a fan of extra officials, but goal-line technology is a must. Surely a ball can be invented that has a chip in it, which, when it COMPLETELY crosses the goal line, triggers a light on top of the crossbar? Just makes the AR's job slightly easier - there's no way you can judge the 2nd last defender at the same time if they're at the halfway line.

You could even rig fireworks or something, but then it would be slightly embarrassing if it was over-ruled for offside! Haha.
haha maybe not fireworks ;)
but yes, i like the idea of goal line technology, it will help the AR's a lot with their already tough job. Im not a fan of extra officials either, doesnt suit the game. AFL dont even need goal umpires, they are bloody useless, half the time they need to ask the field and boundary umpire to confirm if it was a goal/behind.

Astroboy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Astroboy »

Haha got that right - all they do is get in the way and wave a massive flag around.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Astroboy wrote:Haha got that right - all they do is get in the way and wave a massive flag around.
bunch of :clown: 's