KNEE RECONSTRUCTION RECOVERY

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

nugget66
Squad Player
Squad Player

KNEE RECONSTRUCTION RECOVERY

Post by nugget66 »

would like know how all boys are doing who had recons last year e.g. ROSS TAYLOR, CHAD GOLDER, ect. & any tips for recovey

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

drugs, anything that ends in RONE is real good :wink:

downsboynow
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by downsboynow »

RT here - the knee is stronger than before the injury due to all the weights & running for rehab etc.

Would be ready to start the season but I'm off to the Uk & Malaysia for my honeymoon soon (no - it won't make me a soft touch!) & I plan to keep up the running when the missus lets me out of her sight....

should arrive back in Adelaide after the first 3 or 4 games ready to jump in once & if Motts gives me the green light.

Cheers for asking - RT

Rexie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rexie »

Im in the same boat as RT, and fromt the same club. Was a bad year for us with knees.

I had mine done in May last year. Recovery was hard, mainly due to my work commitments being long hours. But plenty of swimming helped increase the power in it. Im back to full training now. Physio says it great, and it feels awsome. Mind you, my body is not quite agreeing after being away from it for 12 months. No matter how much running and weights I did, I think it was always going to be a shock to get back to the game, get the touch back, and the confidence to go back in for tackles and things.

Overall. Pretty good though.

Daniel Ocean
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Daniel Ocean »

nasty injury --- i know a fella who has had 3

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

downsboynow wrote:RT here - the knee is stronger than before the injury due to all the weights & running for rehab etc.

should arrive back in Adelaide after the first 3 or 4 games ready to jump in once & if Motts gives me the green light.
If you can come back from a knee recon and play less than 12 months later without further injury I would be surprised.......AFL players with 100% of there time devoted to rehab cant make it back in 12 months and u want to come back and play amateur league where the tackles are hard in less than 12 months.

If you can I take my hat off to you.

nugget66
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by nugget66 »

Good to hear your knee is feeling that strong RT but the guy above has a good point & it hasnt been 12 months yet has it more like 8??? When do you think seriously that you will be able to resume full competetive training & then be able to play? What is the medical advice that you've had? I too wish you all the best in your recovery & hope you'll be back playing soon!!!!

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

I had a knee recon back in 2000, I believe it all depends on who did the knee op, I went to Sportsmed ( Dr Tony Spriggins) he did a brilliant op and then there rehab program with there physio (Dr ? Camans) I was back playing in 10 months and haven't had any major problems, other than minor hamstring injury's (as they used my hamstring to make new cruciate)

But be very careful on your first game, as you feel like you have done your knee again at every tackle etc, then you slowly get your confidence back.

Go you reds
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Go you reds »

I wish all you boys that have had those recons a speedy recovery, especially Ross taylor a talented individual. They sound like and are a horrible injury and wouldnt wish it apon any one!

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: KNEE RECONSTRUCTION RECOVERY

Post by maxin in the shade »

has anyone had a reco done at burnside hospital?

i tore my cruciate in the second last game of the season and was given a referral to see a surgeon at Burnside

now im thinking i shouldve gone straight to Sportsmed

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Ive had 2 ACL recons on the same leg

First one when 18 (cant remember the surgeon) This lasted 8 years before snapping again.

Second one was done by Patterson from Sportsmed. I was told by the nurse that he is very pedantic and double checks everything. 10 years on the graft is still strong. (big tick to this surgeon)

IMO the key to a good return to playing is in the rehab. Not just directly after to operation but for the rest your playing days

I suggest every year during pre season you also do your rehab weight sessions. The muscles around the knee need to be strong to support your graft. If not strong there is an increased potential to snap it again.

After my first recon, i did the weights for 6 years. I got lazy and stopped the weights and only 2 years after i snapped it again. The injury sustained to snap the ACL for the second time was a very low impact.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Some of the posts here are fairly old I think rexie and RT sustained further knee problems.
Didn't RT do his knee again this year at Parafield ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Gardensgoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gardensgoon »

swannsong wrote:Some of the posts here are fairly old I think rexie and RT sustained further knee problems.
unfortunatly ross did it again playing for us this year, just as he was getting back to his best! i havent spoken to him in a while, but hope we havent seen the last of him.

sprogget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by sprogget »

Tim Foureur did his ACL in round 8 against the down and was fixed up at sportsmed by greg keene. Knee is solid and going well. Not allowed to row surfboats over summer and will miss the nationals at the gold coast (spewing). Was told it will be a full 12 months and dont rush it.Will be back playing at westies mid season he hopes. Did it as easy as pie by just baulking and turning.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

gardensgoon wrote:
swannsong wrote:Some of the posts here are fairly old I think rexie and RT sustained further knee problems.
unfortunatly ross did it again playing for us this year, just as he was getting back to his best! i havent spoken to him in a while, but hope we havent seen the last of him.
Yeah heard RT is doing well

Add Jurek & Glen Zaworski to RT (all 3 of them for a 2nd time) for this year @ Gardens, 3 quality players. Weve had an average of 2 ACL's a year the last 4 years straight.. shiraz frustrating for the lads & club :roll:
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Rexie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rexie »

sprogget wrote:Tim Foureur did his ACL in round 8 against the down and was fixed up at sportsmed by greg keene. Knee is solid and going well. Not allowed to row surfboats over summer and will miss the nationals at the gold coast (spewing). Was told it will be a full 12 months and dont rush it.Will be back playing at westies mid season he hopes. Did it as easy as pie by just baulking and turning.
Ive had 3 ops from Greg Keene at Sports Med- 2 recons and a clean out this yet. Its feeling alot better now that Ive had a clean out. Hurt it in the first training back for this year. Hoepfully may get another crack next year.
Did my 2 acl- Same Knee0 with the baulking and turning. Kida sucks, would have at least like to have done it in a takcle or something tuff, just sound funny, " I just turned to go for the ball, and collapsed"
I think my drinking club has a soccer problem.....

http://www.edsc.com.au

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

haywood djablowme wrote:
gardensgoon wrote:
Yeah heard RT is doing well

Add Jurek & Glen Zaworski to RT (all 3 of them for a 2nd time) for this year @ Gardens, 3 quality players. Weve had an average of 2 ACL's a year the last 4 years straight.. shiraz frustrating for the lads & club :roll:
Could it be the playing/training surface.....I was speaking to a physio person who suggested that a lot of players these days don't "run in" their new boots and many of the stud types aren't suited suited for Australia.
New boots on a rock hard surface can't be good for the ankles and knees.
Indoor football isn't too kind on the knees and ankles either.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook