Freaky things about AFL

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Mister Miyagi
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Freaky things about AFL

Post by Mister Miyagi »

And you were once saying you were never wrong. Well now you are.
Colossus wrote:You arent priviliged enough just yet to have my forum name anywhere near your sig so heres your first and last chance to rid of it quick smart sunshine before someone gets rid of you first :wink: :D
Thankyou kindly 8)

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

You get a point for missing in korfball.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Blueblood wrote:You get a point for missing in korfball.

Maybe we should rephrase to you include points for sports that people have actually heard of.

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

Average attendances down 25% so far this season. More at the Melbourne Vixens netball game than GWS vs Richmond at the weekend.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Blueblood wrote:You get a point for missing in korfball.

Maybe we should rephrase to you include points for sports that people have actually heard of.
I know a guy who represented Australia at Korfball.

And I met an Australian Legend (in the AFL Hall of Fame) at a Korfball tournament.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bacon888 wrote:I know a guy who represented Australia at Korfball.

And I met an Australian Legend (in the AFL Hall of Fame) at a Korfball tournament.
I had to look up what the shiraz it even was. Dutch Netball!!

How do you get a point for missing?

I met an cricketing legend in a pub in Norwood and another one in a pub in North Adelaide, does that mean those pub are worthwhile and important?

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Mister Miyagi wrote:
DAM wrote:Only game, where even if u miss a goal , u still get a point.....
Gaelic football

NOPE! They deliberately aim for the goal above the goals to avoid the keeper.

this!

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

So, if a player aims for the goals, trying to kick a goal, and the goalkeeper tips the ball over the ball, there isn't a point scored?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bacon888 wrote:So, if a player aims for the goals, trying to kick a goal, and the goalkeeper tips the ball over the ball, there isn't a point scored?
I don't know, blueblood (or one of the paddies) could give us the answer though.

Does it being saved, count as a miss though?

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Yes the point still counts, and technically, in some cases you could argue the player is rewarded with a point when his initial intention is to score 3, but there are always other instances in Gaelic where the solitary point is the sole objective of the player shooting.
In korfball, you get a point for hitting the top of the ring and 2 points for a basket, which is always the shooter's aim. They get a point for getting close.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

Mad_Max wrote:Average attendances down 25% so far this season. More at the Melbourne Vixens netball game than GWS vs Richmond at the weekend.
you dont think the average has gone down because there are extra teams that suck in the AFL now?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

egg and chips wrote:When all is said and done you are awarded a point for getting reasonably close to the target. And here is the really clever bit, if get reasonably close to the target a lot more often than your opponent you are actually rewarded with a victory.
you can also see it as the most dominant team deserving the victory (i.e. more scoring shots)

in soccer it happens quite often that a team sits back and defends 30 shots on target and scores from 1 counter... how is that good for the sport?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ruud wrote:
egg and chips wrote:When all is said and done you are awarded a point for getting reasonably close to the target. And here is the really clever bit, if get reasonably close to the target a lot more often than your opponent you are actually rewarded with a victory.
you can also see it as the most dominant team deserving the victory (i.e. more scoring shots)

in soccer it happens quite often that a team sits back and defends 30 shots on target and scores from 1 counter... how is that good for the sport?
the game is about scoring goals, not getting close.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Stitch This wrote:
zackadacka wrote:
Stitch This wrote:In the SANFL it appears their U18 players have to pay to get into watch their reserves play, even if they played for the reserves the week before :shock:

(Stitch Jnr's cousin plays for North Adelaide and that's the story I got at the weekend!)
Last time i went to an SANFL game, Children under the age of 18 were admitted for free, has this changed?
Looks like he gave me a bum steer on this one. U18s are free. Adults are $14 so anyone whingeing about Super League being too expensive can STFU.

However, went down to see the Nephew no.1 playing for the Reserves at Prospect Oval today. As he lives in Pirie he normally comes down on Friday evening and stays at our place. Nephew no.2 (also from Pirie) plays for North's U16s and boards with us and as part of that I have to drop him off/ pick him up from training take him to games etc. So went down with Nephew no.2 and Stitch Jnr to watch the game this morning. Pay my $14 then at quarter time start getting hassled by North Adelaide supporters for not sitting in the away bay of the grandstand, even though Nephew No.2 was wearing his North jacket! I walked out.

Fucking North Adelaide retard supporters. Fuck their shitty club!

So glad Stitch Jnr plays real football.
Time for some righteous indignation

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stitch This wrote:Looks like he gave me a bum steer on this one. U18s are free. Adults are $14 so anyone whingeing about Super League being too expensive can STFU.

However, went down to see the Nephew no.1 playing for the Reserves at Prospect Oval today. As he lives in Pirie he normally comes down on Friday evening and stays at our place. Nephew no.2 (also from Pirie) plays for North's U16s and boards with us and as part of that I have to drop him off/ pick him up from training take him to games etc. So went down with Nephew no.2 and Stitch Jnr to watch the game this morning. Pay my $14 then at quarter time start getting hassled by North Adelaide supporters for not sitting in the away bay of the grandstand, even though Nephew No.2 was wearing his North jacket! I walked out.

Fucking North Adelaide retard supporters. Fuck their shitty club!

So glad Stitch Jnr plays real football.
Bunch of roosters (Male chickens). Should have asked them if their partners were free range!
Ignore this signature

Sure Beano
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sure Beano »

AFL has slaves that throw the ball in when it goes out of bounds.

Hawkesy's Solicitor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hawkesy's Solicitor »

Sometimes the players kick it back into play.
When I have people around for dinner I make sure I set aside a couple of options for vegetarians.
They can make do or they can shiraz off !!