Rio in 'rose' banter

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rio in 'rose' banter

Post by 50cent »

I'm not homophobic. I just don't like poofs....

Rio in 'f-a-g-g-o-t' banter
From Simon Baker in London
October 03, 2006

MANCHESTER United and England star Rio Ferdinand hascalled a British DJ a "f-a-g-g-o-t" live on air.

BBC Radio One star Chris Moyles, who has been in hot water himself in the past for swearing during live broadcasts, was given the rebuke during a light-hearted exchange on his breakfast show.

The DJ had been questioning the defender about who he thought was most attractive out of his Manchester United teammates - Alan Smith and Paul Scholes.

Moyles, referring to the two players' nicknames, said: "If you had to, who would you rather go out with - Smudger or Scholesy?"

Ferdinand replied: "That is not my bag that, that is not my game, talking about going out with geezers."

But when Leeds United fan Moyles jokingly declared that he would always prefer Smith, an ex-Leeds United player, Ferdinand said: "You're a f-a-g-g-o-t."

As others in the studio expressed shock, the England defender said: "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm not homophobic."

Moyles said "you can't say that" before joking that the comment was "footballing terminology for a funny lad".

The conversation started with Ferdinand defending England teammate Peter Crouch after Moyles cast doubts over the Liverpool player's looks.

"He is a half-decent looking geezer," Ferdinand said.

"I am not feminine or gay in any way but he is not ugly and a few birds like him."

But as Moyles pushed for more from Ferdinand, the player quipped: "I don't want to start talking about going out with players. Let's move on."

A spokeswoman for Radio One described the exchange, which was followed by jokes from Moyles about Ferdinand "flirting" with him, as "banter".

A station spokeswoman said just two phone complaints had been received about Ferdinand's interview.

"Rio Ferdinand appeared on Chris Moyles's show this morning and they entered into some friendly banter about which football player they would go out with," she said.

"After Rio's comment, he immediately apologised and Moyles acknowledged that he had meant no offence by commenting 'I know you didn't mean anything by it, you're just messing'."

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

lol @ that..

y wud u ring in to complain

god get over it...he said f-a-g-g-o-t...good on him

kyle can swear on safm but if u sa f-a-g-g-o-t in england..look out

Fred Goldstone
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Fred Goldstone »

It's all about Political Correctness.

It's strangling the art of conversation.

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

yeah .... bloody england

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

what a f@g !!

English
Bench Warmer