Henry Considers America Switch

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Henry Considers America Switch

Post by getborn »

Barcelona and former Arsenal star, Thierry Henry is refusing to rule out a future move to America’s MLS

After signing for Spanish giants Barcelona for £16.1 million from Arsenal only this summer, many would expect striker Thierry Henry’s mind and lifestyle to be settled in Spain.

Instead he today told The New York Times “I think everybody knows I love America.â€￾ He added “I always say that one day I can play over there. I would love to. But it’s still early. I just love the U.S. I don’t know why.â€￾

“I love the way you live. I love American sports. For me, it’s a dream to go to training and then see a game of football, basketball, whatever game. For me, New York is the best city in the world."

The Frenchman is comfortable in America and he already has connections across the Atlantic - he was the best man to San Antonio Spurs star Tony Parker at his recent wedding to Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria.

He is clearly a fan of the American lifestyle and has taken Basketball to his heart “When I go to see a game, it is never boring. I love the speed, everything, especially more now that I have friends in the N.B.A.â€￾

The global brand of Thierry Henry is not be underestimated as he currently features in adverts with Roger Federer and Tiger Woods, and he has this week been named as the global face, of clothing giant, Tommy Hilfiger, making the U.S. public aware of his sporting presence.

America has produced many African-American global sports stars over the years, notably perhaps Michael Jordan, but they haven’t produced a football (or soccer) star of African-American origin yet.

Brazilian legend Pele playing for the NY Cosmos in the 1970s was one of its kind, but the sport was not nearly as serious in the country back then, not because of the lack of stars, but perhaps for want of shrewd marketing. With things looking a lot better now, Henry could well be the catalyst.

The Frenchman recognises the importance of providing a role model to the youth and he has set up Stand Up Speak Up campaign to raise awareness of racism in football, but knows it is a global dilemma “We still have the same problem everywhere - Spain, Italy other countries.â€￾

Major League Soccer, as football is referred to in America, has gained international notoriety since the arrival of David Beckham at Los Angeles Galaxy. Such is the interest that in Britain a weekly magazine show, David Beckham’s Soccer USA, shown on Channel Five, has been devoted to his involvement.

American soccer has enjoyed considerable success in the past, notably in the 1970s when international stars were persuaded to see out the remainder of their careers in America. Despite hosting the World Cup in 1994, America’s domestic league has failed to ignite the passions of the majority of its countrymen and the rest of the worldwide football community.

Using the 1970s model of attracting known international stars, such as Beckham, and Denilson to promote the stature of the league on a worldwide scale, has so far payed dividends.

The league could be accused, though, of becoming a bit of a working retirement home for players who are perhaps coming towards the end of their careers, with the majority of its international star players over the age of 30.

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

come to the A-League instead

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Rigoni 10 wrote:come to the A-League instead

i reckon hes more worth than all 'clubs' of the a-league together :lol:

ComeOnYouBlues
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ComeOnYouBlues »

Him and Beckham in the MLS?

If they played for the same team there would be a fair few goals scored!
Possibly the best set piece taker ever, with one of the best finishers ever
and the Yanks dont even like the sport :roll:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

it looks like there is a new trend under the older guys to retire ... they all go to the US ....

imagin: in 10 years ... cronaldo,kaka,ronaldinho... all in the US :shock:

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

torres12 wrote:
Rigoni 10 wrote:come to the A-League instead

i reckon hes more worth than all 'clubs' of the a-league together :lol:
?

Crazy-North
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Crazy-North »

torres12 wrote:it looks like there is a new trend under the older guys to retire ... they all go to the US ....

imagin: in 10 years ... cronaldo,kaka,ronaldinho... all in the US :shock:
it looks like there is a new trend under the older guys... they all go after the money

Not really a new trend

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

IpswichTown1878 wrote:Him and Beckham in the MLS?

If they played for the same team there would be a fair few goals scored!
Possibly the best set piece taker ever, with one of the best finishers ever
and the Yanks dont even like the sport :roll:
Unless Beckham moves to NYC, I wouldn't count on it..

Chelsea007
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Chelsea007 »

all follow in beckhams footsteps,yes their after the bigger money in years to come,Henry will only have couple years at Barc before he struggles to keep his spot and than he'll try and do what beckham did and go to US and make millions for being an overated star.