Adelaide Utd 2022-23 a season to forget

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Adelaide Utd 2022-23 a season to forget

Post by scar »

Season 2021-22 finished 3rd
P W D L PTS
14 9 0 5 27

Season 2022-23 finished 8th
P W D L PTS
18 5 3 10 18

Adelaide Utd W-League have sadly gone backwards & in quite a remarkable way this 2022-23 season under Stenta.
At the start of the season I believed we had a squad capable of competing for finals yet we’ve ended up closer to bottom & in our final game it was very embarrassing to be beaten at home by bottom placed Wellington.
Many might make excuses (injury to key players & yes we certainly missed Emily Condon) but I just can not comprehend the weekly team selections especially during the 2nd half of the season. Not to also mention the questionable substitutions Stenta made or didn’t make for that matter during this period.
I won’t go into the deficiencies of our individual players (since there were many) but instead place almost all the blame on Stenta who is the person most responsible on game day with his selections and tactics.

The question I would be asking the Adelaide Utd. hierarchy is where else in any competition in the world can you go ONE win in the last 13 games & are still likely to keep your job next season. :thumbdown:

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Adelaide Utd 2022-23 a season to forget

Post by scar »

scar wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:35 pm
The question I would be asking the Adelaide Utd. hierarchy is where else in any competition in the world can you go ONE win in the last 13 games & are still likely to keep your job next season. :thumbdown:
Now ONE win in the last 14 games and not only has Stenta kept his job but was this season rewarded with a full-time gig. :???:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

scar wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:37 pm
Now ONE win in the last 14 games and not only has Stenta kept his job but was this season rewarded with a full-time gig. :???:
Still Sour??
:sad:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

United were very good against Canberra. Move the ball around well. Unfortunately a few keeper errors meant they had to settle for a draw but they were good value.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

On a positive, I believe Hannah Blake will this season prove to be our 'star acquisition' & having already impressed me during the preseason trial game vs the Wnpl Select so I wasn't surprised with her standout performance for Adel. Utd on the w/end.
Meanwhile Stenta really needs to get our defence sorted and he should start by dropping Emily Hodgson who was woeful. The last time Emily was dropped for an extended period of time we managed to discover Charlie Grant's best playing position so who knows which other player in the current squad might seize the opportunity. And please don't be rushing Izzy Hodgson back into the team if it means we have to endure another season of her playing at full back . :oops:

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Michael wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm
Still Sour??
Now just ONE win in the last 17 games. Yeah Michael, "Still Sour".

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

scar wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:30 am
Michael wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm
Still Sour??
Now just ONE win in the last 17 games. Yeah Michael, "Still Sour".
a 2-1 loss away from home to Perth whom are on fire.....
:clap:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Not sure what to make of this season. Sitting 2nd to bottom :(

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

relying on free kicks to score all your goals won't win you many games, so far only scored one out of the six goals from direct play, all the rest have come from free kicks.
should we have played for a draw in the second half ? away from home against top side, we haven't won in a while , would have come home feeling positive,

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

We've had multiple discussions over the AUFC-W journey however, the same problem exists. LOSSES outweigh WINS. Performances are haphazard.

What my observations have been over the years is that the team is not a team. Made up of a diverse group of players from across local/interstate/overseas competitions. The team is full of individuals who collectively are below par. As individuals they are ok and some excellent. Its' like bringing together a musical group made of session musicians who can't read music and are trying to produce harmony and good music. It will not happen. Same with the AUFC-W team.

What is the answer? Theer isn't one. The coach Adrian cannot fix this alone. Are the intestate teams that good or are they the best of a bad bunch? AUFC-W won't spend the money to bring in quality. They did a few years back but the esteemed head (not coach) at the time quickly tightened the purse.

For mine a review of the whole department is not the answer. Wiping out the team and starting again is an option with some long standing players needing to move on.

Results are the only KPI. Not good

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by WNPL Hub »

Comments from a number of ALW coaches recently (not Adrian) around the fact that a 5 week pre-season (which included an international camp for U20s and U23s within it) and a 2 week international break 7 days after the season kicked off have contributed to a large number of injuries experienced across all squads.

Emily Condon, Emilia Murray, Annie Grove, Grace Wilson, Isabel Hodgson, Nano Sasaki, Maruschka Waldus, Katie Bowler, now Zoe Tolland...I'm not sure many squads in mens or womens football would handle having 9 players variously unavailable in the first 4 rounds of their competition.

It is hard to point the finger at what is a clear underinvestment (in the squad) from AUFC either, given all clubs are generally in the same boat. This sits more at the level of the Australian Professional Leagues, who are comfortable to create a World Cup marquee fund (for the likes of Cortnee Vine and Tameka Yallop) but are unwilling to work with the PFA and clubs to raise the minimum wage high enough and extend the season long enough so that many players don't have to play WNPL and then straight into ALW (or work a second or third job to sustain their living expenses).

The ALW is unfortunately not a professional competition in the true sense of the term...the minimum contract is $25,000 for full contract (and $12,600 for a scholarship contract) therefore given players are contracted for 35 weeks they are paid $715 a week ($677 after tax)...there are probably a few NPL players on more than that ironically.

Many things to fix but it is more from a holistic and philosophical perspective.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Are we any chance to sign Chids? bring her back home for a short stint.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

billy the kid wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:51 pm Not sure what to make of this season. Sitting 2nd to bottom :(
Now just ONE win in the last 19 games.
Stenta building some record here but still AU hierarchy appears not concerned ('Afterall it's only the women's team'). :oops:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

scar wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm
billy the kid wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:51 pm Not sure what to make of this season. Sitting 2nd to bottom :(
Now just ONE win in the last 19 games.
Stenta building some record here but still AU hierarchy appears not concerned ('Afterall it's only the women's team'). :oops:
:cry:
:roll:

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Just read Miley Grigg 'the youngest Adelaide United debutant' & congratulations to her but you have to ask 'Why Stenta'.
This game was (0 - 1) still in the balance & you introduce a youngster(who appears is still learning the offside rule)at such a critical time yet an experienced goalscorer like Chrissy Panagaris (although was not available for this game)has been so disrespected thus far this season with just token minutes.
Stenta's coaching/tactics show why we are now ONE win in our last 20 games & breaking records for the wrong reasons.

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by WNPL Hub »

scar wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:50 pm Just read Miley Grigg 'the youngest Adelaide United debutant' & congratulations to her but you have to ask 'Why Stenta'.
This game was (0 - 1) still in the balance & you introduce a youngster(who appears is still learning the offside rule)at such a critical time yet an experienced goalscorer like Chrissy Panagaris (although was not available for this game)has been so disrespected thus far this season with just token minutes.
Stenta's coaching/tactics show why we are now ONE win in our last 20 games & breaking records for the wrong reasons.
I understand that Panagaris has had limited mins and availability all season due to an ongoing injury that is being managed, not due to tactical consideration. This has been a similar scenario for Emily Condon.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

scar wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:50 pm Just read Miley Grigg 'the youngest Adelaide United debutant' & congratulations to her but you have to ask 'Why Stenta'.
If no striker was subbed on, you’d be here complaining about stenta not going for the win :roll:

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

totsreds08 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:00 pm
If no striker was subbed on, you’d be here complaining about stenta not going for the win :roll:
Sadly Totsreds08 your missing my point bec what I saw was an inexperienced 15yr old who hasn't grasped the offside rule & very unlikely would be turning things around for Stenta that day. Not the time to be promoting youth at such a critical stage.

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by WNPL Hub »

scar wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm
totsreds08 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:00 pm
Sadly Totsreds08 your missing my point bec what I saw was an inexperienced 15yr old who hasn't grasped the offside rule & very unlikely would be turning things around for Stenta that day. Not the time to be promoting youth at such a critical stage.
Miley Grigg starred and started in the WNPL Grand Final this season, at the age of 14, as well as being called up to the Junior Matilda's training camp.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

At the risk of stating the obvious, there's a huge leap between WNPL and mini Matildas, and the ALW. With all due respect, and Miley is doing very well for 15, she is inexperienced at ALW level.

I don't agree with all of the Stenta sledging that goes on in this thread- but I agree that this particular substitution was unlikely to change much in the game. Looking back at the match report she was his only offensive player left on the bench. He seems to have felt that it was worth a shot. And a nice opportunity for her.

WNPL Hub
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by WNPL Hub »

juniorsupporter wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:55 pm At the risk of stating the obvious, there's a huge leap between WNPL and mini Matildas, and the ALW. With all due respect, and Miley is doing very well for 15, she is inexperienced at ALW level.

I don't agree with all of the Stenta sledging that goes on in this thread- but I agree that this particular substitution was unlikely to change much in the game. Looking back at the match report she was his only offensive player left on the bench. He seems to have felt that it was worth a shot. And a nice opportunity for her.
There has always been a trend of teenage debuts - Chidiac, Condon, Holmes, Murray, Hodgson, Coorey. They only became who they were by getting those initial minutes. The quality and level of the ALW has dropped significantly in the last 2 years. It is not that big a jump anymore when the entire Young Matildas and half of the Junior Matildas are in ALW squads or already getting game time. Most internationals are now college graduates, not professionals on a sojourn. Grigg is not the youngest to play in the comp this season either. At least every squad has had teenage players playing this season (Stanic-Floody, Younis, Brooking, Dos Santos x 2, Rasmussen, Gooch, Elliott, Karic, Briedis to name a few).

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

scar wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm Stenta building some record here but still AU hierarchy appears not concerned
Unfortunately 2023-24 is becoming a season to forget like our previous now we are anchored to the bottom of the table & I'm left wondering where our next win is going to be. Meanwhile Stenta like an 'immovable object' remains in the job.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

scar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:15 pm
scar wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm Stenta building some record here but still AU hierarchy appears not concerned
Unfortunately 2023-24 is becoming a season to forget like our previous now we are anchored to the bottom of the table & I'm left wondering where our next win is going to be. Meanwhile Stenta like an 'immovable object' remains in the job.
2 wins in a row, 3.5k at the game yesterday, starting to become a season to remember.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Marinos wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:31 am2 wins in a row, 3.5k at the game yesterday, starting to become a season to remember.
Hmmm, let us not get carried away just yet as still quite some way to go but at least now heading in the right direction.
Btw congrats to one of my fav. local players in Chrissy Panagaris on her winning goal :clap: & more mins. pleaz Mr. Stenta.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

scar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:00 pm
Marinos wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:31 am2 wins in a row, 3.5k at the game yesterday, starting to become a season to remember.
Hmmm, let us not get carried away just yet as still quite some way to go but at least now heading in the right direction.
Btw congrats to one of my fav. local players in Chrissy Panagaris on her winning goal :clap: & more mins. pleaz Mr. Stenta.
ok Chrissy....
;-)

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

If last season was a season to forget then unfortunately this season so far we've gone backwards but remarkably Stenta (the immovable object) is still there. :oops:
Season 2022-23
P W D L GF GA PTS
18 5 3 10 16 29 18

Season 2023-24 thus far
P W D L GF GA PTS
18 4 3 11 20 39 15

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Another poor result against a very average Brisbane side and unfortunately another season to forget. You can take some positives, lots of young local girls getting valuable experience.

Where to now though? For me - it's a bit of both, we don't have the cattle and we don't seem to have a coach that can get the best out of the players.

We signed a couple average Americans who with all things considered, didn't stand out. Do we need more investment from the club to scout higher quality players? Do we need to pay better wages to attract these players?

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

You've asked good questions and comments.

Most will lay the blame at the feet of the coach. Facts are that the step up from WNPL to A-League is (from what's been told to me) is quite significant. Question is whether we have the level of WNPL competition here in SA that is equivalent to the consistent and high achieving NSW and QLD teams that reduce the gap between the two comps? For mine, you can't have a bunch of locals transitioning from WNPL to A League seamlessly and expect to step up to the high intensity and higher calibre opposition and expect success.

In the National Soccer League Comp (pre A league - W league) the Adelaide Sensation was made up mainly SASI squad members. The training intensity lifted as the local season ended and preparation was being made for the NSL. From what I recall the Adelaide Sensations were relatively successful.

Do we then, take the majority of the team from the core of the local NTC team and add to it recruits from interstate and o/s and some WNPL? or do we look at the structure of the A League and local WNPL and see what needs to occur in order to have a far more successful side in the A League? If we don't, then why do we bother playing in the A League?

A previous coach once wanted to implement a change in how we should approach the season. Made some excellent suggestions based on what the successful interstate teams were doing. At the time, the changes started to happen however, the club put a stop to it. And since.....we've not reached the levels of success constantly and with finals appearances.

Again I will say, the coach is not the problem. Unlike the AFL W where there is a huge amount of support and resources afforded to the players, the A League has significant gaps between good and ordinary practices.

The core of the A League team in SA need to keep together and train all year round. Like the previous SASI, they would play in the boys league. And maybe if they want, they could play with their local WNPL team. Then recruit as needed.

Clearly what we are doing is not working. Again I say, it's not the coach or his panel/team. Far bigger.