EPL 23/24

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: EPL 23/24

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Frank Costanza wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:33 pm Burnley continue to struggle...

And why the continued interest with Burnley? :lol: ;-)

Think your little wager was safe from the get-go, though not in everyone's eyes.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:53 pm
Frank Costanza wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:33 pm Burnley continue to struggle...

And why the continued interest with Burnley? :lol: ;-)

Think your little wager was safe from the get-go, though not in everyone's eyes.
For this exact reason.
I don't want it forgotten amongst all the chatter about VAR
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:10 pm
haywood djablowme wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:42 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:05 am
haywood djablowme wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:38 am Well played VAR another fine performance 👏
Which bit did you not like, or are you like Arteta, calling the decision to let Havertz off with a yellow a disgrace, an embarrassment etc.? :lol:

For the record, although I do accept that Havertz was trying to block the ball up the line, rather than directly tackle Longstaff, and only caught him with his trailing leg, in the modern game I think he was very lucky to stay on.

As for the goal, it was obvious that the ball stayed in play and Gordon was definitely onside, but I am a bit mystified how they allowed two hands in the back not to be deemed to be working Gabriel under the ball and a foul. :crazy:

Couldn't happen to a nicer team :grin: :grin:
Havertz was lucky to stay on - yes!

There was a gap between the ball & line - yes!

2 hands / arms at full stretch in the back of Gabby - yes!

After it made contact with the Newcastle player, there was 1 Arsenal player behind the ball, clear offside - yes!

VAR should of stopped reviewing the incident at the ball out of play, it seems to me they are reviewing the 'whole' scene & forget which one they should be intervening on.. it's an absolute joke of a system. It's costing teams points!
I think you need to revisit the laws, it's the whole of the ball over the whole of the line and many a time I've seen turf on the other side of the line but the ball is still in, just look at how they position the ball for corners these days. As for the possible offside, Gordon was behind, at worst level, with the ball, so the number of men between him and the goal is irrelevant. Cannot be offside if you're behind the ball.

I think the only reason they didn't call Joelinton for a foul was that Gabriel made no attempt to jump for the ball, he just stuck his muscat out and held his ground as Joelinton jumped sort of over him. Still a foul for me, but it's Arsenal so who gives a shiraz? :lol:

Arteta to spend a few weeks in the stands I think. :clown:
The ball was out but even if unbelievably it was in, the push in the back was as clear a free as can be. The ref should have called that. VAR surely had to. Spent all its time on the out ball. Not a gunner's fan at all but that was a disgrace.

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Midfield Maestro »

Udogie should have received a yellow for the challenge then a yellow for dissent. Lucky to still be on the pitch.
As soon as you're born you start dying.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Midfield Maestro wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:52 am Udogie should have received a yellow for the challenge then a yellow for dissent. Lucky to still be on the pitch.
Lucky not to get a red for the challenge alone. :lol: Mind you, he's only 20, they should go easy on him ;-)

I was saying to my mate in England that thirty years ago Romero's tackle would have been perfect, wins the ball down low and leaves a bit on the opponent, it wouldn't have even been a foul. I guess it's still like that in Argentina. ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

by Midfield Maestro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:22 am

Udogie should have received a yellow for the challenge then a yellow for dissent. Lucky to still be on the pitch.
just wondering if Irukunda would agree.....or do you have different standards for different countries????? :crazy: :crazy:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:44 am
Midfield Maestro wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:52 am Udogie should have received a yellow for the challenge then a yellow for dissent. Lucky to still be on the pitch.
Lucky not to get a red for the challenge alone. :lol: Mind you, he's only 20, they should go easy on him ;-)

I was saying to my mate in England that thirty years ago Romero's tackle would have been perfect, wins the ball down low and leaves a bit on the opponent, it wouldn't have even been a foul. I guess it's still like that in Argentina. ;-)
Udogie was a yellow and that's it, can't believe you ignore the dissent though ;-)

Romero not a penalty and not a red.

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Plus Martin Tyler needs to retire and that other peanut next to him shouldn't be in the box again

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by Midfield Maestro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:27 am

agree.......

in the same passage of play, just before the penalty, Sterling shouldve been carded for simulation...thus no penalty...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

ok......now im officially confused...

re: Chelseas 2nd goal...

can you not be called offside after being passively offside but gaining an advantage???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

That was a great game for Tottenham to go through. They would have gained so much more from that than if they had beaten Chelsea confortably. It's the loss they had to have

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:48 am

just wondering if Irukunda would agree.....or do you have different standards for different countries????? :crazy: :crazy:
You need some sarcasm awareness training

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:44 am
Mind you, he's only 20, they should go easy on him ;-)
And just to clarify, I've never mentioned anywhere that decisions for or against Irankunda should be based on his age. In fact, it is an argument used by the pro ref crowd because "it teaches young players they can't do that"
So Udogie should have been taught a lesson if that is the standard. :thumbup:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by Midfield Maestro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:40 am
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:18 am

nice backtrack..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sarcasm relies on tone of voice, body language, facial expression, and gesture — all are omitted when communicating online. To make your sarcasm clearer, use “irony punctuation” or emojis that contradict the statement, italics to emphasize tone......or you can print in green

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:25 am

Sarcasm relies on tone of voice, body language, facial expression, and gesture — all are omitted when communicating online. To make your sarcasm clearer, use “irony punctuation” or emojis that contradict the statement, italics to emphasize tone......or you can print in green
lol like usual, everyone else's fault, it's never you

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:25 am

15 years ago I might have agreed with this, but once you get to know regular contributors, it's funny how easily you can "read" between the lines.
PS - I thought it was blue text, but the left are turning more and more green, so that doesn't surprise any more. ;-)
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by Midfield Maestro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:02 am

lol like usual, everyone else's fault, it's never you
no...not everyone....just you.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by Bomber » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:41 am

PS - I thought it was blue text, but the left are turning more and
more green
, so that doesn't surprise any more
never cease to disappoint....your two favourite topics in the 1 sentence....your dinner parties must be exciting affairs.... :roll:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:37 am
Post by Bomber » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:41 am

PS - I thought it was blue text, but the left are turning more and
more green
, so that doesn't surprise any more
never cease to disappoint....your two favourite topics in the 1 sentence....your dinner parties must be exciting affairs.... :roll:
The irony of you not seeing the ;-)

QED
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:03 am
Unread post by Midfield Maestro » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:27 am

agree.......

in the same passage of play, just before the penalty, Sterling shouldve been carded for simulation...thus no penalty...
Sterling is a cheating, diving little champagne and should be pulled up more. Spurs should be reasonably pleased that, with 9 men, two of their best players off injured, they still managed to get to 75 minutes on level terms.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by Bomber » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 am

QED
the only thing you have proven is your predictability..... ;-) ;-) ;-)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:05 pm
Post by Bomber » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 am

QED
the only thing you have proven is your predictability..... ;-) ;-) ;-)
Which is showing you up (time and time again). :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

The Left..........ABC...........Greens.............Labor...........Dan Andrews.........The Left........ABC........Greens.........Labor.........Dan Andrews.............The Left...........ABC..........Greens...........Labor......Dan.......The Left.......ABC........Greens........Labor.........Dan Andrews.........The Left.......ABC........Greens.........Labor.........Dan Andrews.........The Left........ABC.......Greens........Labor.........Dan

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 pm The Left..........ABC...........Greens.............Labor...........Dan Andrews.........The Left........ABC........Greens.........Labor.........Dan Andrews.............The Left...........ABC..........Greens...........Labor......Dan.......The Left.......ABC........Greens........Labor.........Dan Andrews.........The Left.......ABC........Greens.........Labor.........Dan Andrews.........The Left........ABC.......Greens........Labor.........Dan

Glad you have finally identified why the country is going backwards at a rate of knots. :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Music to NOC's ears from Southgate in a stinging criticism of VAR

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67373765

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 am Music to NOC's ears from Southgate in a stinging criticism of VAR

I'm a big fan of Gareth :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:13 am
ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:00 am Music to NOC's ears from Southgate in a stinging criticism of VAR

Sadly the authorities believe VAR has made the game better and we are going to be stuck with it now.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:52 am

Sadly the authorities believe VAR has made the game better and we are going to be stuck with it now.
Sports betting (and their sponsorships) main reason VAR exists IMO.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:38 am
ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:52 am

Sports betting (and their sponsorships) main reason VAR exists IMO.
Nah, it was always going to happen once we had TV with a zillion different angles, it gave the pundits the chance to analyse in forensic detail.
Danny Blanchflower

Midfield Maestro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Hjobjerg.... :lol: