Season 2023.

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Season 2023.

Post by BeNatural »

Good to see new clubs staying up in WNPL like Flinders, and clubs like Fulham who has struggled in recent years being relegated forcing them to now regroup and restructure to get promoted again.

Hopefully one of the State League cubs can knock off Adelaide Uni too,. Makes its more interesting with new clubs into the mix in WNPL.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

BeNatural wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:10 pm Good to see new clubs staying up in WNPL like Flinders, and clubs like Fulham who has struggled in recent years being relegated forcing them to now regroup and restructure to get promoted again.

Hopefully one of the State League cubs can knock off Adelaide Uni too,. Makes its more interesting with new clubs into the mix in WNPL.
It's definitely been on the cards for Fulham for a few seasons now, hopefully they can re-group and have a solid season in the State league.

Thought Flinders celebrating with champers was a bit OTT but if you manage to get out jail by bringing in some big name players - you get to reap the rewards!

BeNatural
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BeNatural »

SwandelPark wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:13 pm
BeNatural wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:10 pm Good to see new clubs staying up in WNPL like Flinders, and clubs like Fulham who has struggled in recent years being relegated forcing them to now regroup and restructure to get promoted again.

It's definitely been on the cards for Fulham for a few seasons now, hopefully they can re-group and have a solid season in the State league.

Thought Flinders celebrating with champers was a bit OTT but if you manage to get out jail by bringing in some big name players - you get to reap the rewards!
What they celebrating staying up with Champagne? Really?

That is reserved for Champions!

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

BeNatural wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:25 am Maria Rojas back this time with the highest bidder being Flinders United outmatching two other clubs.
Geeez talk about money well spent when even sometimes marquee players can fail to deliver but not this time.
Congrats to Maria on almost singlehandedly steering her team into another season in SA WNPL, surely worthy of a bonus. ;-)

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

The WNPL Hub post is right. The term 'minor' isn't used. Premiers if you finish top and champions if you win grand final.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

I agree with the comment that to win a league title as did Comets requires far more than the Championship. Both have merit however, a league title is the culmination of a whole year where many factors come in to play.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

Rightside wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:02 am Relegation battle is heating up with 3 games to go.

Uni 13pts - have Metro, NTC, Flinders
Flinders 12pts - have Birks, City, Uni
Fulham 12pts - have Comets, Inter, Metro

Fulham would need an upset I think to get off the bottom against a tough run home.
The 9th place team match vs 2nd in state league will be a very interesting one, closer than it has in the past I think.
Modbury 0-8 Uni.
It looks like the gap is widening. A very, very one side game of football today.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Granted Uni did have few high quality players that made the difference. Look at who scored the goals. Take away 2-3 players and you’d expect a closer score line.

There’s always going to be a gap, but I don’t think it’s widening.

lethal14
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lethal14 »

SwandelPark wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:57 am Granted Uni did have few high quality players that made the difference. Look at who scored the goals. Take away 2-3 players and you’d expect a closer score line.

There’s always going to be a gap, but I don’t think it’s widening.
But the difference between the Unis and Flinders, and the Fulham-Sturt-Vistas IS those 2-3 players (or 1 player).

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

Jenkins to Cove ?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

John Cena wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:47 am Jenkins to Cove ?
Correct ....

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

wow wee, how many clubs is that now , they must be splashing the cash

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

NTC were great and were unlucky not to beat Comets in normal time.
NTC were the better side for me.
The youngsters stood tall when it mattered and deal very well with the pressures of a penalty shootout.
This group have grown so much under the leadership of Michele and its a real credit to him and his staff.

Well done.

Anyone can win the GF between NTC and Inter.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Totally agree with your summary about the NTC and Michele.

These players and those to come into the program, are very lucky to have an excellent set up and high performing programme. In comparison the sasi programme had all the support and infrastructure however, its programme head in sa was unaccountable and produced very very little. That person wielded a lot of power and destroyed the promising national team careers. NTC is accountable,, focused and is a fast-paced programme that only has players in it for a set time. sasi was a haven for underperforming seniors.

NTC has my vote

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:11 pm This group have grown so much under the leadership of Michele and its a real credit to him and his staff.
Agreed & I believe he should takeover the Adel. Utd W-League side given their disastrous & embarrassing season under Stenta.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

It’s so easy to hang one person out to dry when things go wrong. And I think Michelle would be the last person to do that. Be better.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

The problem with AUFC Women goes far beyond the coach. Whoever the coach is has to deal with a LACK of buy in by the AUFC. For years, there has been discussion about why the other teams are doing so well. What is it that makes them better and achieves sustainable results? One part is to establish off season training with the local team members. The situation where a player comes into squad just before the seasons and thereafter departs at season's end leads to a lack of continuity. The better teams have this continuity.

State teams in NSW and QLD all have this continuity and year-round connection and training.

Yes....I understand that not all the players for one season may be retained however, you need to work beyond that.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I also think that people underestimate the effects of chronic underfunding. It's not just about how much players are being paid, it's what resources are being allocated to back room support staff- trainers, Physios, S and C staff....if you can't keep your players on the park, especially when you have a roster of 20 players, a club won't get very far. This is part of what happened last season. A few key injuries and it's all over.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Last edited by bloodypassit on Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

bloodypassit wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:42 pm Adelaide Comets !!! Finish First after the league season , Win the Cup and you decide to sack the coach !!... Who's the snake in the background trying to get their job back ..... maybe its why your daughter didnt get a gig at Adelaide United
:eek:

Love to hear more on this!
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Last edited by n8 on Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Last edited by bloodypassit on Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

bloodypassit wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:25 pm
n8 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:53 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:42 pm Adelaide Comets !!! Finish First after the league season , Win the Cup and you decide to sack the coach !!... Who's the snake in the background trying to get their job back ..... maybe its why your daughter didnt get a gig at Adelaide United
Clearly you have no idea and are just spewing out garbage…and pretty sure she’s out with Adelaide United as we speak….so I reckon you’re 0-2 champ….
Ease up turbo are you still upset you were sacked as goalkeeper coach and they went onto success this year !!! id say the messages from the players are telling a bigger story and many are shocked of the decision... in your mind I might be 0-2 but you know deep down what the story is and so do many others now ...
I don't know the story but keen to know.
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

The Forum never fails to deliver. Pseudonyms used yet people either know (or assume) they know the ID of the person. Interesting.

Anyway, what about the sacked coach? There is some inference that there is a disgruntled parent? Not sure if coaches get sacked for that reason alone. Doubt it.

Anyway, I'll get my popcorn and await another rebuttal.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Popeye Magoo wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:25 am
bloodypassit wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:25 pm
n8 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:53 pm
Clearly you have no idea and are just spewing out garbage…and pretty sure she’s out with Adelaide United as we speak….so I reckon you’re 0-2 champ….
Ease up turbo are you still upset you were sacked as goalkeeper coach and they went onto success this year !!! id say the messages from the players are telling a bigger story and many are shocked of the decision... in your mind I might be 0-2 but you know deep down what the story is and so do many others now ...
I don't know the story but keen to know.
New coach just announced and a heap of player re-signings in the last week should say enough…

On another note, Wish Daniel Milovanovic all the best at the comets for next season and hope the girls have continued success!