Ashes 2023

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Ashes 2023

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:55 pm
Popeye Magoo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:29 pm I assume England have by and large written the laws of cricket, yet oddly enough seem to be very critical of them in this series including legitimate stumpings, drawn test due to weather limiting game time.
2-1 down yet so many saying they are unlucky?
For me they can be thankful for being competitive against the world's number one ranked test team (who have been without their top line spinner in last couple). England have won the toss on each occasion, ordered certain pitches to their liking, crowd getting stuck in at any opportunity, but still couldn't break down the opposition.
I say well done Australia who yet could still take this out 3-1.

Both teams have had injury issues. We are without our top line spinner. As well as Robinson, Wood and Archer for all/a lot of the series.

Certain pitches orderered. Hahaha. Groundsman have said this didn't happen.

The MCC write the laws, not England. All sports have people making suggestions about changes. The playing until later or a spare day both seem sensible enough for discussion.

Crowd getting stuck in, so exactly what happens in australia then?

I'd say we've been more than competetive. 3 of the games could have been won by either team. Going into the 4th test, either team could have been 3-0 up.
I reckon there should always be a "reserve" day (day 6) but only if weather has been a prime factor in there not being a result after 5 days. Eg, if say they work out 40 overs of play was lost that hadn't been already made up in first five days, then those 40 overs would be allowed on day 6.
Anyway, for now, I'm glad it rained, and this time it worked for us, but who is to say Marsh & Green wouldn't have gone on to make a 200+ partnership and set england around 200 to win, which they then got bowled out chasing? ;-)
Ignore this signature

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

They wont add a rest day to test matches .. schedules are already packed.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:27 pm They wont add a rest day to test matches .. schedules are already packed.
What if both teams in the series agreed to it beforehand? It won't even be needed in majority of tests but serves as a backup, so you are likely only looking at an extra day, maybe two, in an entire series.
Ignore this signature

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:36 pm
zzz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:32 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:44 am
zzz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:31 am obviously God isn't an Englishman :lol:

Of course he is.
sadly for you evidence would suggest otherwise

time to change your handle

What evidence do you have that he isn't?

For him being English - the greatest Empire ever known.
rain is an act of God

obviously karmic for the tirade of abuse and whingeing

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

does anyone remember anyone whingeing and complaining about the outcome of the 2013 Ashes?

I don't either

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

Popeye Magoo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:29 pm I assume England have by and large written the laws of cricket, yet oddly enough seem to be very critical of them in this series including legitimate stumpings, drawn test due to weather limiting game time.
For me they can be thankful for being competitive against the world's number one ranked test team (who have been without their top line spinner in last couple). England have won the toss on each occasion, ordered certain pitches to their liking, crowd getting stuck in at any opportunity, but still couldn't break down the opposition.

Both teams have had injury issues. We are without our top line spinner. As well as Robinson, Wood and Archer for all/a lot of the series.

The MCC write the laws, not England. All sports have people making suggestions about changes. The playing until later or a spare day both seem sensible enough for discussion.

I'd say we've been more than competetive. 3 of the games could have been won by either team. Going into the 4th test, either team could have been 3-0 up.
Of course you would believe the groundsman, even though it was made clear what your captain wanted.
MCC is virtually England.
More sour grapes but at least you had a good crack, despite much of things going your way, home grounds, toss wins. You just forgot to be nice to the weatherman!
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Popeye Magoo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:13 pm

Of course you would believe the groundsman, even though it was made clear what your captain wanted.
More sour grapes but at least you had a good crack, despite much of things going your way, home grounds, toss wins. You just forgot to be nice to the weatherman!

Ahh so you just want to assume the groundsmen were lying? If it had happened then surely all wickets would have been the same. What happened in England is no different to what happens in australia?

The MCC is certainly not England.

No sour grapes, just facts

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

600 wickets. Congratulations.
On the opening day of the Ashes fourth Test, England fast bowler Stuard Broad joined the illusive 600 Test wickets club.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FB_IMG_1689942062794.jpg
FB_IMG_1689942062794.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 140538 times

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Did Broad say that the 2021-22 should be void ?? So if that’s the case his 13 wickets don’t count…

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:25 pm

cite the source....
Ben Stokes was asked in April what kind of pitches he was hoping to play on in the Ashes. His response was unequivocal. “We’ve been clear with the ground staff what type of wickets we want and they have been responsive,” he said. “We want flat, fast wickets.”
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:24 pm Did Broad say that the 2021-22 should be void ?? So if that’s the case his 13 wickets don’t count…

If you get sent off in a voided football match the red card still counts.

Same with Broad's wickets. It must hurt the aussies knowing they'll never have as great a wicket taker as Broad and he's not even our best.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:03 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:25 pm

cite the source....
Ben Stokes was asked in April what kind of pitches he was hoping to play on in the Ashes. His response was unequivocal. “We’ve been clear with the ground staff what type of wickets we want and they have been responsive,” he said. “We want flat, fast wickets.”
MegaBonus wrote:Barwell, head of sports turf and grounds at Edgbaston since 2011, will be responsible for the wicket used in the first Test and this news came as a complete surprise to him. “I was on holiday in Miami and I got sent the clip,” Barwell says.

“I can 100% tell you I have never been told that. I know they want good pitches, that’s all I’ve heard, and I don’t think that’s unusual. I’ve never been asked to produce a pitch for England in all the time I’ve been here. I get asked to produce a good cricket wicket and that’s it.”
Happily I will quote you, quoting the head groundsman

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:19 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:24 pm Did Broad say that the 2021-22 should be void ?? So if that’s the case his 13 wickets don’t count…

Same with Broad's wickets. It must hurt the aussies knowing they'll never have as great a wicket taker as Broad and he's not even our best.
would Warne have taken more international wickets than Broad

If you score in an abandoned game the goal isn’t added to your tally …

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

@ Hawksey

So who is lying....given the quotes are a contradiction...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:39 pm
@ Hawksey

As I said at the time. They're not contradictions.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:29 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:19 pm

would Warne have taken more international wickets than Broad

If you score in an abandoned game the goal isn’t added to your tally …
Warne's wickets don't count. Same as Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong's wickets don't count.

I do enjoy it when the bait catches the correct person.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Fairly poor comparison but are you saying Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong were disqualified and not recognised for any gold medals or races won ?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by God is an Englishman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:16 pm
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:09 pm
@ Hawksey

yeah ok.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

one said "yes we did"
the other said "no they didnt"

i know you are butt hurting but thats as obvious a contradiction that you can get

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

FB_IMG_1689942062794.jpg
FB_IMG_1689942062794.jpg (164.52 KiB) Viewed 140490 times

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:51 pm
Unread post by God is an Englishman » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:16 pm
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:09 pm
@ Hawksey

yeah ok.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

one said "yes we did"
the other said "no they didnt"

i know you are butt hurting but thats as obvious a contradiction that you can get
I spoke to someone at Westpac today, they were very responsive to my requests.

Peter King said he's never had a conversation with me.

Which one of them is lying as apparently tha's contradictory.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:29 pm Fairly poor comparison but are you saying Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong were disqualified and not recognised for any gold medals or races won ?
How is it a poor comparison? All 3 of them are convicted drug cheats.

I assume they had their titles stripped from them

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:14 pm 600 wickets. Congratulations.
On the opening day of the Ashes fourth Test, England fast bowler Stuard Broad joined the illusive 600 Test wickets club.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FB_IMG_1689942062794.jpg
Pretty good, but most of ours usually retire when they are in their early-mid thirties.

Take away Warner and Ireland, how many would he have? ;-)
Ignore this signature

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:27 pm
Popeye Magoo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:13 pm

Ahh so you just want to assume the groundsmen were lying? If it had happened then surely all wickets would have been the same. What happened in England is no different to what happens in australia?

The MCC is certainly not England.

No sour grapes, just facts
MCC is situated where? Who originated the laws of cricket? How many non-Brits are involved?
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:24 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:29 pm Fairly poor comparison but are you saying Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong were disqualified and not recognised for any gold medals or races won ?

Assume ?? Ben Johnson had his 1988 Olympic 100m, 1987 World Championships and 1987 World Indoor Championship Gold medal stripped but still retained all his other medals he won in other events,

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his 7 consecutive TDF but still retains his stage wins 1993,1995 and races inc 1993 World Road Race Championships...

so events they were found guilty they had titles taken from as expected, Was Shane Warne found guilty of performance enhancing drugs during a match ?

But I guess England allow their athletes to keep their OBE's even if they have been banned for life from the British Olympic Association for testing positive to banned drugs

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:31 am

Assume ?? Ben Johnson had his 1988 Olympic 100m, 1987 World Championships and 1987 World Indoor Championship Gold medal stripped but still retained all his other medals he won in other events,

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his 7 consecutive TDF but still retains his stage wins 1993,1995 and races inc 1993 World Road Race Championships...

so events they were found guilty they had titles taken from as expected, Was Shane Warne found guilty of performance enhancing drugs during a match ?

But I guess England allow their athletes to keep their OBE's even if they have been banned for life from the British Olympic Association for testing positive to banned drugs
I believe the drug cheat warne tested positive in the build up to the world cup. Shortly after a miraculously quick recovery from a shoulder injury.

Who has tested positive and then kept an OBE?

Did Armstrong and Johnson test positive in all of those events or did they strip him of the titles anyway?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 am

I believe the drug cheat warne tested positive in the build up to the world cup. Shortly after a miraculously quick recovery from a shoulder injury.

Did Armstrong and Johnson test positive in all of those events or did they strip him of the titles anyway?
Linford Christie OBE

Armstrong was found guilty of systematic drug cheating , Johnson had those medals stripped.... Anyway the history books (fact ) will show Shane Warne has more international wickets then Stuart Broad... who would carry more weight on this ICC or GIAE for who has more wickets ...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:17 am

Linford Christie OBE

Armstrong was found guilty of systematic drug cheating , Johnson had those medals stripped.... Anyway the history books (fact ) will show Shane Warne has more international wickets then Stuart Broad... who would carry more weight on this ICC or GIAE for who has more wickets ...
Wasn't Christie found not guilty?

You can claim the drug cheat if you really need to. Rather embarassing for you though.

I still can't believe I set a trap for you, you fell in and still trying to fight yout way out though. :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice to see you laugh after what must have been a very traumatic last couple days for you. :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:19 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:17 am

Linford Christie OBE

Wasn't Christie found not guilty?

You can claim the drug cheat if you really need to. Rather embarassing for you though.

I still can't believe I set a trap for you, you fell in and still trying to fight yout way out though. :lol:
What trap ? the imaginary trap .....