World Cup 2022 Forum

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: World Cup 2022 Forum

Post by MegaBonus »

maybe its no ones fault.....maybe England arent that good, given France's B' Team (given their outs) were the first real test all tournament.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Marinos wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:03 am
N5 1BH wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:44 pm
thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:58 pm
N5 1BH wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:19 pm Let’s be honest this was always coming despite all this nonsense about Southgate improving the players. The young players are improving at their clubs but they look isolated and often lost in his very basic set up because Southgate has not improved his technical ability or bravery. They have gone beyond him, he is still clueless and was always going to get found out, Henderson wasn’t the answer 10 years ago why would he be the answer now and don’t get me started on his subs jesusfuckingchrist give me strength, Sterling and Rashford? Who was going to give them the ball, McGuire ?
FFS- He took you guys to the Euro Finals and lost because the players bottled the penalties, not him. He took you this far in the WC and you went out because big Harry missed a pen- not him.
Hope he walks, some of you Engerland fans don't deserve him. Southgate is far from clueless.
Subbing on two kids at the last minute to take penalties isn’t clever by the way. If we lost coz Kane missed a penalty that means we were reliant on two daft defensive mistakes to be even in the game so if our tactics were so good can you tell us why, despite lots of possession we were unable to put Lloris and a pretty vulnerable frog defence under any real pressure. Giroud is 36 and he got played in better than any of our lot
Game was lost before kickoff when your entire nation focused on how your 32 year old right back who plays as a CB for his club was going to stop the most electric player in the modern game. I did not see a single French media report on stopping Kane who plays with his back to goal and focuses on set pieces.

Not sure how vulnerable the French defence were when - fairly - they've not managed a clean sheet all tournament but managed to keep England to a non-penalty xG of 0.61.
Entire nation or a few people in the media?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

To be fair, the last couple of months lead up to the WC should have highlighted that England would fall over at the first real test.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:02 am
N5 1BH wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:19 pm Let’s be honest this was always coming despite all this nonsense about Southgate improving the players. The young players are improving at their clubs but they look isolated and often lost in his very basic set up because Southgate has not improved his technical ability or bravery. They have gone beyond him, he is still clueless and was always going to get found out, Henderson wasn’t the answer 10 years ago why would he be the answer now and don’t get me started on his subs jesusfuckingchrist give me strength, Sterling and Rashford? Who was going to give them the ball, McGuire ?
FFS- He took you guys to the Euro Finals and lost because the players bottled the penalties, not him. He took you this far in the WC and you went out because big Harry missed a pen- not him.
Hope he walks, some of you Engerland fans don't deserve him. Southgate is far from clueless.
Subbing on two kids at the last minute to take penalties isn’t clever by the way. If we lost coz Kane missed a penalty that means we were reliant on two daft defensive mistakes to be even in the game so if our tactics were so good can you tell us why, despite lots of possession we were unable to put Lloris and a pretty vulnerable frog defence under any real pressure. Giroud is 36 and he got played in better than any of our lot
Game was lost before kickoff when your entire nation focused on how your 32 year old right back who plays as a CB for his club was going to stop the most electric player in the modern game. I did not see a single French media report on stopping Kane who plays with his back to goal and focuses on set pieces.

Not sure how vulnerable the French defence were when - fairly - they've not managed a clean sheet all tournament but managed to keep England to a non-penalty xG of 0.61.
I'll use social media and forums (such as these, with opinions such as ours) as my census to compliment "a few people in the media", and it was 95% focused on that battle.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Marinos wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:52 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:02 am

I'll use social media and forums (such as these, with opinions such as ours) as my census to compliment "a few people in the media", and it was 95% focused on that battle.
Only person I even saw talking about it was Gary Lineker.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Final will be Morocco v Croatia

Argies showed their arrogance in the QF, much like the Brazilians against SK

France has had an easy run through the Cup and hasn’t been tested, Morocco will be a shock.

Take that to the bank ;-)

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:38 pm Final will be Morocco v Croatia

France has had an easy run through the Cup and hasn’t been tested, Morocco will be a shock.

Redemption for Croatia in final against Les Bleus!
Morocco fairytale to end in SF
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Just saw this on my Facebook. The leap would not be out of place in AFL.
318723417_5252515738187545_8860968604248873134_n.jpg
318723417_5252515738187545_8860968604248873134_n.jpg (142.41 KiB) Viewed 10128 times

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

With the news that the Qataris have corrupted the European parliament, I guess there is now no choice but for the remaining Euro teams to withdraw immediately from the Qatar WC.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

N5 1BH wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:57 pm With the news that the Qataris have corrupted the European parliament, I guess there is now no choice but for the remaining Euro teams to withdraw immediately from the Qatar WC.
you put money on a morocco v agrentina final too hey ?
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Just didn’t click today. Sloppy passing sloppy defending. The vibe wasn’t there. Still, would never have called a semi place prior to the start, we had a great run.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Sad to see Modric substituted. He had a great QF against the Dutch when he was everywhere and took one of the coolest of penalties.

At 37 still looks very fit and lean. But like Ronaldo for Portugal, is this the end playing internationals for Croatia?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Gutted Argies won, was going for the other team

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

At 35, to shred a centre back everyone considers one of the worlds best, was exceptional.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Croatia denied a corner kick which led to Argentine attack when pen was given ,BS penalty ,are there new rules where a player can run into a goalkeeper & not get card himself. Argentina played mainly on count attack which to me is pretty poor if you have a team of top players ,not to mention going down for any close contact-Messi included. I am bitter that my Croat legendary midfield was useless & hardly any shots on goal, Argentine left side was always open, Mathew Lecki would have ripped it up this game. IW am glad English legends Wright/Neville/Keane all agree with my viewpoint. One more thing an Italian ref-good one half the Argentine team & country have an Italian background, Next time get a Polish or Czech ref .

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by God is an Englishman » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:01 pm

Only person I even saw talking about it was Gary Lineker.
ive already seen countless "Englands Frightening Best 11 at the 2026 WC" posts on social media....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

predrag wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:58 pm Croatia denied a corner kick which led to Argentine attack when pen was given ,BS penalty ,are there new rules where a player can run into a goalkeeper & not get card himself. Argentina played mainly on count attack which to me is pretty poor if you have a team of top players ,not to mention going down for any close contact-Messi included. I am bitter that my Croat legendary midfield was useless & hardly any shots on goal, Argentine left side was always open, Mathew Lecki would have ripped it up this game. IW am glad English legends Wright/Neville/Keane all agree with my viewpoint. One more thing an Italian ref-good one half the Argentine team & country have an Italian background, Next time get a Polish or Czech ref .
What you've written is highly offensive. Keane is Irish.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

offensive to the Irish.....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:00 pm offensive to the Irish.....

I'm sure both would find it offensive. We certainly don't want the serial whinging thug.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Sorry Roy is Irish ,all those years it Manchester deceived me .Apologies to any Irishmen on forum & i would have loved an Irish ref for the semi.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:18 pm
:lol: If he's so good you're welcome to have him in Scotland.

He was cabernet at club level, he's boring, tactically inept, scared of losing and, with the standard of players at his disposal, Sam Allardyce would have done just as well. He need to take a shiraz off pill right now and give us a chance in the next tournament.
Myself and a guy called Alan Shearer (you Poms might have heard of him) are happy to disagree with your opinion on Southgate. England expects- they always do. Perhaps your players are simply not as good as you tend to think they are.
If big Harry held his nerve it could have been all so different- so close yet so far. Yet you prefer to have a go at the other Harry (Maguire) who actually had a decent tournament. On another day his header(v France) sneaks inside the post and doesn't shave the outside of the upright.
Southgate DESERVES another chance as he has EARNED it. Mind you if you think Allardyce is just as capable you better get the FA to employ him so he can get a couple of fullbacks to hurl them balls in to the penalty areas that panic those international defenders!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:06 pm
Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:18 pm
:lol: If he's so good you're welcome to have him in Scotland.

He was cabernet at club level, he's boring, tactically inept, scared of losing and, with the standard of players at his disposal, Sam Allardyce would have done just as well. He need to take a shiraz off pill right now and give us a chance in the next tournament.
Myself and a guy called Alan Shearer (you Poms might have heard of him) are happy to disagree with your opinion on Southgate. England expects- they always do. Perhaps your players are simply not as good as you tend to think they are.
If big Harry held his nerve it could have been all so different- so close yet so far. Yet you prefer to have a go at the other Harry (Maguire) who actually had a decent tournament. On another day his header(v France) sneaks inside the post and doesn't shave the outside of the upright.
Southgate DESERVES another chance as he has EARNED it. Mind you if you think Allardyce is just as capable you better get the FA to employ him so he can get a couple of fullbacks to hurl them balls in to the penalty areas that panic those international defenders!
:lol: :lol: You've been watching too much Scottish football. Nobody on mainstream TV is going to come out and say Southgate is clueless, especially those that are still involved in the game.

Had Kane held his nerve and hit the target, so long as Lloris didn't guess correctly we would still only have been level, no guarantee of winning. As for the other Harry, he's good at certain things, heading the ball being one of them and he should have scored with a free header tbh.

Explain to me how Southgate has earned more chances, he's been there for 6 years, three tournaments, with the best crop of players in 40 years and won absolutely fuckall. Worse than that, he's very rarely beaten any country of note, except Scotland of course.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

I actually agree with your point about the 'two kids' taking the penalties but I will shoot from another angle. Pregame Southgate knew who his penalty kickers would be if it went to the wire. This would be based on the taking of penalties at training sessions and going with the confidence players. Ideally Southgate would have wanted Rashford and Sancho on earlier but game management and circumstances didn't allow it. I can remember post match that Southgate
commented that he 'lost two' of his penalty kick takers during the match(Mason Mount was one I think?) and had to make a couple of changes regarding the penalty kick takers. In picking the young lads it would suggest that some of the more experienced players such as Walker and Henderson (both subbed off at the death) were not up to taking a penalty.
Can you really blame the manager for that?

Your other point I disagree with- Being reliant on two defensive mistakes as you put it is all part of the game. About putting the opposition under pressure is how mistakes are made, particularly by defenders. I'm sure if you guys won the final due to a 'couple of mistakes' by the opposition you wouldn't care too much. Sublime goals are wonderful but sometimes winning ugly is all that matters.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:38 pm Final will be Morocco v Croatia

Well half that prediction was wrong.

The other half of the prediction remains to be seen tomorrow if Morocco’s passionate support can carry them over the reigning World Cup holders. Will their defence be able to hold out Mbappe?

As for Argentina’s 🇦🇷 QF against the Netherlands 🇳🇱 I enjoyed that intriguing game. It was war. 17 yellow cards with both skippers, Lionel Messi and Virgil van Dijk, amongst those booked.

Argentina survived that maelstrom and the next test in the Semi-Final.

They also now get an extra day’s rest than France 🇫🇷 or Morocco 🇲🇦 will before the weekend’s World Cup Final.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:22 pmBeing reliant on two defensive mistakes as you put it is all part of the game. About putting the opposition under pressure is how mistakes are made, particularly by defenders. I'm sure if you guys won the final due to a 'couple of mistakes' by the opposition you wouldn't care too much. Sublime goals are wonderful but sometimes winning ugly is all that matters.
Taking friendlies out of it because they mean diddly squat, who of any note have England beaten in the last six years and who have they lost to or drawn with? The ledger is not in Gareth's favour.

Winning is all that matters, second is nowhere. Period. However, a team that consistently plays consistent quality football will generally win a darn sight more than they lose, even though you'll always get the occasional unexpected result. England have been a lesson in drudgery and under performance under Gareth, which I could accept if we had Scotland's squad, but we have some of the best players in the world being stifled by awful management.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

So, an Argentina v France final. Possibly an englishman's worst nightmare.

Either way, another World Cup winner that had to beat Australia along the way (even Poland can say same this time) ;-)
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Two of my least favourite teams, a bit like watching Arsenal play Chelsea ;-)

A popular final in Qatar though, Messi v Mbappe, who both play for PSG, who are owned by........?

No wonder we've seen some dubious refereeing. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Nice One Cyril » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:35 am

but we have some of the best players in the world being stifled by awful management.
and theres your problem..........but i dont disagree with your comments regarding Southgate
Last edited by MegaBonus on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Neil Warnock has this morning suggested that Neil Warnock will be next England manager

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:38 am So, an Argentina v France final. Possibly an englishman's worst nightmare.

Either way, another World Cup winner that had to beat Australia along the way (even Poland can say same this time) ;-)
What world cup final?

It's lile being asked which if your exes you would like to see win the lottery?

I won't be watching.