The penalty shootout dilemma

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

The real thing
Apprentice
Apprentice

The penalty shootout dilemma

Post by The real thing »

Just an issue for discussion while we wait for our new season.

Fifa have looked at many ways to do away with the penalty shootout to decide cup games. To date, they haven't found any better way.

The proposal they are looking at now still does not eliminate the penalty shootout but does lessen the possibility.

The new proposal is that if an extra time period is played, the goalkeeper cannot use his hands. No other rule change is required.

My first thought is that I would prefer to win or lose this way than by a penalty shootout. Obviously, a draw at the end of extra time would still mean a penalty shootout but at least there would be less chance.

I know there are those traditionist like me who say leave the rules as they are, but then I thought that the pass back rule to the keeper (no hands) wasn't a good idea, yet it has been one of the best changes to the rules ever made.

Opinions welcome, however give reasons.

Cantona.7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: The penalty shootout dilemma

Post by Cantona.7 »

I'd like to see (think they tried it many years ago in a exhibition tournament):
-every 3 minutes in extra time a player frOm each side takes a player off. Opens the game up, and would def get a result before pens.

Adolf Hītler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hītler »

I agree with your choice of forum. It should be trialled by the SAASL. :P
Live a critic, diacritic

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

The real thing wrote:J

The new proposal is that if an extra time period is played, the goalkeeper cannot use his hands. No other rule change is required.
Take the goalies off completely, or swap the goalie with a outfield player

Chips
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chips »

Why not blindfold the kicker in the penalty shootout? Would slow the shot done making it easier for the goal keeper. That or paper scissor rock.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Why is everyone focused on the goalkeepers ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Ricky Tan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ricky Tan »

Or better yet why not leave it as it is?

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Agree 100% leave it as it is, makes great TV and every other option I have heard sounds stupid
Are you Bodo in disguise?

vertu1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by vertu1 »

if it is a score draw then the team who scored the first goal wins
this would give teams incentive to attack and play positive football from the start
and make the team who concedes first go all out knowing they need to score at least 2 goals
this rule should be applied to league games as well as cup games

if it is 0-0 , then stick with the penalty shootout but have it sudden death from the start , why have 5 each then sudden death? i have never understood that

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

If a team /coach is not prepared to take the risk of scoring just one more goal then your opposition. in 120 mins football ( 90+ET ) then they deserve to go to penalties.
I like the thrill of a penalty shootout, where most of the pressure is on the penalty taker (imo ), only part I would change ( agree with vertu 1 ) is to make it a sudden death shootout,whenever it goes to penalties.

Just like there is varied opinion on, is it better to go first , or second in a shootout ?
I prefer to go first, score and you get the early advantage (imo ).

Your thoughts ?

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

Leave it as it is. Whilst its a cabernet way to loose a game if you weren't good enough to do it in the first 120 mins then so be it. I'm open to other alternatives but haven't seen one on here thus far that is any better than the shoot out. We tried golden goal and silver goal but neither really took off too well.

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

I seem to remember as a kid playing in E&D there use to be a comp played on one of the longweekends (Queens Birthday I think) where corners were used like points in Footy. If there was a draw the team with most corners won. That was pretty good as it rewarded the most attacking team.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

You Too wrote:I seem to remember as a kid playing in E&D there use to be a comp played on one of the longweekends (Queens Birthday I think) where corners were used like points in Footy. If there was a draw the team with most corners won. That was pretty good as it rewarded the most attacking team.

Good idea with that particular style of knockout carnival, for all the different age groups,held at one location. It had to be all over in 3 days,didnt have time to take penalties.
It did encourage attacking play, score was 0-0 one game and the team losing 5-0 on corners scored a goal just before full time whistle to win the game.Did make for some exciting games.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Didnt they trial many years ago, where the player has the ball somewhere near the edge of the centre circle, and he had dribble the ball past the Keeper in under 20 seconds ? ( instead of a penalty shootout )Obviously wasnt very popular.

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ontheblackburner »

Activate landmines pre-inserted into the pitch and wait for the magic to unfold. Team that is either winning at the end of extra time or has more players alive is the winner
#venkysout

Salisbury Florina (1970 - 2018)
2005 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions
2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions
2013 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions

https://www.facebook.com/MantonStTribe
https://www.twitter.com/MantonStTribe

Cantona.7
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Cantona.7 »

The General wrote:Didnt they trial many years ago, where the player has the ball somewhere near the edge of the centre circle, and he had dribble the ball past the Keeper in under 20 seconds ? ( instead of a penalty shootout )Obviously wasnt very popular.
That was in the MLS when Pele, George Best were all playing. Think it was a rip off of the NHL.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

I think the MLS did it trial again more recently.
Agia Lavra 1821!

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

vertu1 wrote:if it is a score draw then the team who scored the first goal wins
this would give teams incentive to attack and play positive football from the start
and make the team who concedes first go all out knowing they need to score at least 2 goals
this rule should be applied to league games as well as cup games

if it is 0-0 , then stick with the penalty shootout but have it sudden death from the startwhy have 5 each then sudden death? i have never understood that
would you like sudden death from kick off ? who ever scores first wins ?? i dont think so..... thats why u have 90 mins in a game for a reason...and 5 penalties each for a reason..... if your going to have sudden death in penalties you might as well do it in the game lol
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.