Saturday results 15/9

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Saturday results 15/9

Post by snow white »

God is an Englishman wrote:
snow white wrote:
onthemound wrote:Poor form by BOSA. What is the fine for forfeiting all 3 games? To not even field a first team is just slack. With the cup semi around the corner I would of thought they would of wanted to play.
Also I believe they now drop from 3rd to second. Isn't that more dollars lost?
Disappointing, especially considering this was a game postponed from the first thalf of the season.

Rules need to be put in place for all clubs to play a catch up game within a certain period of time. Midweek is always an option, if there is a will.

Delaying for months until the end of the season either ends up in forfeits or a team having a distinct advantage of knowing what result is required to win a title or avoid relegation etc.
It's an amateur league not the world cup. People have commitments midweek, we signed up to play on saturdays/sundays not tuesday nights.
Exactly ... you 'signed up' to play Saturday's but you forfeited not to play on a Saturday. Bit of a contradiction there :lol:

and here's a novel idea ... whislt you only 'signed up' to play on a Saturday, I assume you train during the week?? Pick a training night to have a catch up game, without interrupting your 'contractual' obligations of when you can and cant play.

and thanks for bringing up the world cup ... talk about comparing apples with apples :roll:

finally, you stance would have carried more merit if you had forfeited BEFORE the end of season, but you had everything to play for right, and would have been nice hey to play that catch up after the season finished knowing exactly what result was needed??

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

snow white wrote:Exactly ... you 'signed up' to play Saturday's but you forfeited not to play on a Saturday. Bit of a contradiction there :lol:

and here's a novel idea ... whislt you only 'signed up' to play on a Saturday, I assume you train during the week?? Pick a training night to have a catch up game, without interrupting your 'contractual' obligations of when you can and cant play.

and thanks for bringing up the world cup ... talk about comparing apples with apples :roll:

finally, you stance would have carried more merit if you had forfeited BEFORE the end of season, but you had everything to play for right, and would have been nice hey to play that catch up after the season finished knowing exactly what result was needed??

My team didn't forefeit any games, we played our catch up games. You brought up the playing midweek, not me! So, no contradiction there at all.

What about players who can't always make training because of work/family commitments?

I believe my comment was "it's not the world cup" hardly comparing them was I?

Once again, we didn't forefeit any games!

I suggest that if you're going to use snow white's log in you don't show yourself up as actually being Dopey.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

snow white wrote:Exactly ... you 'signed up' to play Saturday's but you forfeited not to play on a Saturday. Bit of a contradiction there :lol:

My team didn't forefeit any games, we played our catch up games. You brought up the playing midweek, not me! So, no contradiction there at all.

What about players who can't always make training because of work/family commitments?

I suggest that if you're going to use snow white's log in you don't show yourself up as actually being Dopey.
I assumed you played for BOSA ...

Over 4 months, I expect that somehow a player can make a training night to play a catch up game. There will be plenty of Saturday's too where players are not available to play. So saying that mid week catch ups don;t work cause some players have work/family commitments is a piss poor excuse.

Its quite simple ... ALL CATCH UP GAMES MUST BE PLAYED BEFORE THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. Otherwise forfeit before the last game, not after when it suits.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

maybe snow white is dopey ... just 2 minutes of research would tell you GIAE doesnt play for BOSA

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

bloodypassit wrote:maybe snow white is dopey ... just 2 minutes of research would tell you GIAE doesnt play for BOSA
I don't frequent the forum too often and neither do I see the need to research other forumite's.

I made an assumption which wasn't correct.

My points raised remain pertinent.

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

Why does it matter if they play the catch up or not??

Uni couldn't go anywhere on the table and BOSA was the team that was disadvantaged.

The only person who could legitimately feel aggrieved on Ryan Lewis as he missed an opportunity to play another game to get the top goalscorer trophy in the league.

pannafc
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by pannafc »

maybe teams should play games as scheduld instead of post poning games for reasons which where found to be dis honest

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

pannafc wrote:maybe teams should play games as scheduld instead of post poning games for reasons which where found to be dis honest
Nah. Because then you'd be the first one on here whingeing about the condition of the pitch.
Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

snow white wrote:

I assumed you played for BOSA ...

Over 4 months, I expect that somehow a player can make a training night to play a catch up game. There will be plenty of Saturday's too where players are not available to play. So saying that mid week catch ups don;t work cause some players have work/family commitments is a piss poor excuse.

Its quite simple ... ALL CATCH UP GAMES MUST BE PLAYED BEFORE THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON. Otherwise forfeit before the last game, not after when it suits.

So let's use a player at my teams situation as an example.

He has his children week on/week off. He doesn't attend training on the weeks that he has his kids. If a midweek catch up was that week, then he would not be able to play. Thus it would be disadvantageous for us to play.

There would be others in the team who can't for other reasons.

We signed up for saturday games, not for wednesday night games.

What if our training night doesn't match the other teams?

What happens if the last game of the season is postponed for some teams?

Chips
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chips »

pannafc wrote:maybe teams should play games as scheduld instead of post poning games for reasons which where found to be dis honest
which club are you referring to?

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

He has his children week on/week off. He doesn't attend training on the weeks that he has his kids. If a midweek catch up was that week, then he would not be able to play. Thus it would be disadvantageous for us to play.

The last game of the season is an obvious exception. You have no option but to play it after the season finishes. Everyone would understand that. But we are talking here about a game from the first half of fixtures!!!

There are always if's and but's ..... what if half the opposition team had decided to go away the first weekend after the comp finished??? You may well play a catch up during a cup weekend where both clubs are not involved, but you may not have players available on that Saturday as they assumed it was a cup round and they had previously been knocked out. There are many, many variables.

There have been many mid-week catch up games over the years as precedence, and yes, sometimes you can't make everyone happy, but games that potentially decide titles and relegation cannot be left to until after the season ends where one team has the advantage of knowing exactly what result they need, nor can the absence of a single player for whatever reason be a deciding factor otherwise games will never get played.

Compromises are often made in the Cup competition. You say you signed up to play Saturday's, so are you telling me you would refuse to play a Sunday Cup game??? Over 4 months, like BOSA had, is ample time to find a suitable date. Moreover, did they even try to arrange something?

Last year the title was won on goal difference by a single goal. This year, the title almost came down to goal difference yet again, and relegation wasn't decided until the last round.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

snow white wrote:

The last game of the season is an obvious exception. You have no option but to play it after the season finishes. Everyone would understand that. But we are talking here about a game from the first half of fixtures!!!

There are always if's and but's ..... what if half the opposition team had decided to go away the first weekend after the comp finished??? You may well play a catch up during a cup weekend where both clubs are not involved, but you may not have players available on that Saturday as they assumed it was a cup round and they had previously been knocked out. There are many, many variables.

There have been many mid-week catch up games over the years as precedence, and yes, sometimes you can't make everyone happy, but games that potentially decide titles and relegation cannot be left to until after the season ends where one team has the advantage of knowing exactly what result they need, nor can the absence of a single player for whatever reason be a deciding factor otherwise games will never get played.

Compromises are often made in the Cup competition. You say you signed up to play Saturday's, so are you telling me you would refuse to play a Sunday Cup game??? Over 4 months, like BOSA had, is ample time to find a suitable date. Moreover, did they even try to arrange something?

Last year the title was won on goal difference by a single goal. This year, the title almost came down to goal difference yet again, and relegation wasn't decided until the last round.
BOSA are still in the cup .... and maybe mid week wasnt a viable option for neither team ....
Snow white just give up while your ahead

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Chips wrote:
which club are you referring to?

comets!!
their lamb rolls are TOO TASTY!
If u eat too many, u become fat, lazy and sleepy (just ask Hawkesy).......perfect for Comets to win the match!
:wink:

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

bloodypassit wrote:
snow white wrote:

BOSA are still in the cup .... and maybe mid week wasnt a viable option for neither team ....
Snow white just give up while your ahead
I can't change the past ... just keen on seeing a rule brought in for next year. End of rant.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

and what rule is that ?????

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

bloodypassit wrote:and what rule is that ?????
catch up's must be played before last game (last game excepted).

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

snow white wrote:
bloodypassit wrote:and what rule is that ?????
catch up's must be played before last game (last game excepted).
good luck with that.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

Not always easy, when teams are involved in the cup- should we have a bye/free weekend before the last round to allow for catchup games ?
Would make sense to play postponed games before the last round, particularly if the A's already know where they are going to finish, may be encouraged to play some of them in the B's in the catch up game, if it is played after the last round .

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

snow white wrote:The last game of the season is an obvious exception. You have no option but to play it after the season finishes. Everyone would understand that. But we are talking here about a game from the first half of fixtures!!!

what if it's the game before the last week of the season and you are giving people only a few days notice of a game?

In cup games you regularly get people unavailable if on the wrong day.

Where was the game being held? Why should a team give up it's home advantage if it doesn't have lights to play a night game?

Yes the game did come down to this, were those position affected by the game not being played.

The league has always had as it's policy that catch up games do not need to be played if they don't affect promotion or relegation.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

snow white wrote:The last game of the season is an obvious exception. You have no option but to play it after the season finishes. Everyone would understand that. But we are talking here about a game from the first half of fixtures!!!

what if it's the game before the last week of the season and you are giving people only a few days notice of a game?

In cup games you regularly get people unavailable if on the wrong day.

Where was the game being held? Why should a team give up it's home advantage if it doesn't have lights to play a night game?

Yes the game did come down to this, were those position affected by the game not being played.

The league has always had as it's policy that catch up games do not need to be played if they don't affect promotion or relegation.
If the game holds no bearing on promotion, relegation or winning a title, I don't have any major issue in it not having it played.

But when those circumstances do apply, then teams gain an unfair competitive advantage knowing exactly what result they need going into the game, and potentially against an opponent who has nothing to play for.

Last years title I understand went right down to the wire, with a goal in the dying minutes deciding the crown on goal difference by a single goal. If one of those two clubs involved in the title race, had the advantage of playing their game the following week knowing exactly what is required, thats an unfair competitive advantage arising from a catch up game postponed from the first half of the season.

I think the League should adopt a ruling whereby the two clubs must agree within two weeks of the actual game being postponed, when the game should be played and not later than the last game of the season.

If clubs didn't wait months for catch up games to be played, the issue of the game not being relevant wouldn;t even occur. This issue only rises when catch up games are played after the end of season.

I've said my piece on this subject and now repeating myself, so I will be moving on.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

snow white wrote: If the game holds no bearing on promotion, relegation or winning a title, I don't have any major issue in it not having it played.

But when those circumstances do apply, then teams gain an unfair competitive advantage knowing exactly what result they need going into the game, and potentially against an opponent who has nothing to play for.

Last years title I understand went right down to the wire, with a goal in the dying minutes deciding the crown on goal difference by a single goal. If one of those two clubs involved in the title race, had the advantage of playing their game the following week knowing exactly what is required, thats an unfair competitive advantage arising from a catch up game postponed from the first half of the season.

I think the League should adopt a ruling whereby the two clubs must agree within two weeks of the actual game being postponed, when the game should be played and not later than the last game of the season.

I've said my piece on this subject and now repeating myself, so I will be moving on.

So you have no problem in those situations yet you are moaning about bosa v uni not being played when it was exactly that scenario.

So, with your 2 weeks thing - you now want to take away home ground advantage to a team if they don't have lights.

Clearly, the game has to be at a mutually convenient time. Midweek isn't always convenient to every one.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

snow white wrote: If the game holds no bearing on promotion, relegation or winning a title, I don't have any major issue in it not having it played.

So you have no problem in those situations yet you are moaning about bosa v uni not being played when it was exactly that scenario.

So, with your 2 weeks thing - you now want to take away home ground advantage to a team if they don't have lights.

Clearly, the game has to be at a mutually convenient time. Midweek isn't always convenient to every one.
I said I don't have a 'major issue' in a game of no consequences being played, though ideally it should be played. If you look at my original quote, my 'moan' revolved more around the advantage of playing catch ups past the last game of the season rather than the actual forfeit of a no consequence game.

My idea is to organise the catch within 2 weeks, not necessarily play within the 2 weeks, but before end of season.

If it comes down to a club losing home ground advantage or gaining a competitive advantage after the end of season, I would argue that you lose home ground advantage if you weren't able to organise a catchup over a two month plus period.

I agree Midweek isn't convenient for everyone, but neither is after the end of season, but like I said earlier, there are many precedents over the years of mid-week games. Its nothing revolutionary.

Like I said, I'm going in circles now. Respect your opinion, but don't agree with it.

pannafc
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by pannafc »

this whole argument could have been advoided if the game was just played when it was supposed to be

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

pannafc wrote:this whole argument could have been advoided if the game was just played when it was supposed to be
Fixture Nazis :lol:
Time for some righteous indignation

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

snow white wrote:

I said I don't have a 'major issue' in a game of no consequences being played, though ideally it should be played. If you look at my original quote, my 'moan' revolved more around the advantage of playing catch ups past the last game of the season rather than the actual forfeit of a no consequence game.

My idea is to organise the catch within 2 weeks, not necessarily play within the 2 weeks, but before end of season.

If it comes down to a club losing home ground advantage or gaining a competitive advantage after the end of season, I would argue that you lose home ground advantage if you weren't able to organise a catchup over a two month plus period.

I agree Midweek isn't convenient for everyone, but neither is after the end of season, but like I said earlier, there are many precedents over the years of mid-week games. Its nothing revolutionary.

Like I said, I'm going in circles now. Respect your opinion, but don't agree with it.
So, all the away team has to do is refuse to agree to any of the proposed times and there goes home advantage - sounds fair to me!!

Yes midweek games have happened previously and they have been agreed to by both sides.

blackout
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by blackout »

Stopped reading Hawksy and Snow white's banter (TLDR), but to clarify:

BOSA vs Uni in round 9 was not played as both pitches were literally under water.

BOSA forfeited all games that were scheduled for last weekend.

BOSA firsts have made it this far in the cup, and so haven't had a weekend free to play the catch up during the season. Fair enough. I understand them not wanting to play last weekend too, if they feel that will give them the best chance in progressing. All the best to them too.

I don't think that means the other teams should pike though.

Uni tried to organise games between the B's and C's, for cup weekends, but BOSA declined, so the first time any Uni team played BOSA this year was the final round, where we took 7 points off them, and denied their first team a shot at the league. I'm not surprised they didn't want to play us again! :lol:

Our C's especially wanted to play the game, as they missed so many weeks in the middle of the season due to wet weather "preserving pitches" for the senior teams on wet days, cup rounds, etc - they just wanna play! Thanks to Iggies for agreeing to the catch up this weekend, BTW. They obviously like playing too!

On another note, and food for thought:
If a team can forfeit a catch up game because it 'won't effect the league' or they can't be f'd, what is to stop some mid-table mediocrity match being forfeited on the last week of the season, or a team that is already relegated throwing in the towel and not playing their last few games?

Brutus32
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Brutus32 »

blackout wrote:Stopped reading Hawksy and Snow white's banter (TLDR), but to clarify:

BOSA vs Uni in round 9 was not played as both pitches were literally under water.

BOSA firsts have made it this far in the cup, and so haven't had a weekend free to play the catch up during the season. Fair enough. I understand them not wanting to play last weekend too, if they feel that will give them the best chance in progressing. All the best to them too.

Uni tried to organise games between the B's and C's, for cup weekends, but BOSA declined, so the first time any Uni team played BOSA this year was the final round, where we took 7 points off them, and denied their first team a shot at the league. I'm not surprised they didn't want to play us again! :lol:

Our C's especially wanted to play the game, as they missed so many weeks in the middle of the season due to wet weather "preserving pitches" for the senior teams on wet days, cup rounds, etc - they just wanna play! Thanks to Iggies for agreeing to the catch up this weekend, BTW. They obviously like playing too!

If a team can forfeit a catch up game because it 'won't effect the league' or they can't be f'd, what is to stop some mid-table mediocrity match being forfeited on the last week of the season, or a team that is already relegated throwing in the towel and not playing their last few games?
Piss poor effort, why wouldnt you wont to play full stop. Snow white has some fair points.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Brutus32 wrote:
blackout wrote:Stopped reading Hawksy and Snow white's banter (TLDR), but to clarify:

Piss poor effort, why wouldnt you wont to play full stop. Snow white has some fair points.

hence, catch up games SHOULD of been played before round 18!

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

I have hesitated to get involved for obvious reasons.

My personal opinion is that catch up games should be played prior to the last game of the season by:
1) where both teams are out of the cup the league automatically schedule the catch up game for the next cup round;
2) I like the idea of a spare weekend being set aside a week before the last round for any other catch up games.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Obviously it would be best to all finish at the same time but too many people seem to think they're actually playing a decent standard where it matters.