Euro 2012

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Euro 2012

Post by The Kop »

Ga Pala wrote:I do feel England have taken a huge step backwards now Capello has left . Unfortunately Hodgdon and English coaches in general don't have the technical and tactical nous needed to be successful in world football. They desperately need a foreigner who can show them the way .
This is true.
Still confused as to how anything thinks Roy is a good manager.

The knives are being sharpened but will be well and truly out when they concede bulk of possession to a side like Montenegro in WC14 qualifying. I'd be surprised if Roy makes it to Brazil.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Backwards? Everything's a step forward compared to cabbage man.

dudley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by dudley »

if god is a englishman, then he must not like football very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

England = Muppets

Hawkesy's Solicitor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hawkesy's Solicitor »

If anyone knows their muppets you do.
When I have people around for dinner I make sure I set aside a couple of options for vegetarians.
They can make do or they can shiraz off !!

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Juventino wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Why would I do that, I have to educate the italians that goals are more important than number of passes.
Well of course, and Italy should be concerned that only four goals have been scored in four matches. For all the chances created this is not good enough and if that many are wasted against Germany then they won't reach the final. But in general Italy can be happy with the win, it was a dominating performance for all but 10-15 minutes out of 120.

England did what they felt they had to do to win and while it's all well and good to sit back and defend with numbers, if you don't exact the counter-attacking side of the game then it is useless. And barring those 10-15 minutes England did not do that. With a more clinical edge Italy would have won comfortably inside 90 minutes but that's football and so penalties it was. We'll take the win but know it should never have gone that far.

this!

JolyV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JolyV »

My final is Spain Vs Germany, Im all in with the germans

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

desperate times call for desperate measures.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Ga Pala wrote:I thought England defended extremely well and held structure really well Too. Not many teams would of put goals past them today. however Italy Played them off the park .

The better team progressed today, but...
Just stop there.[/quote]

Why would I do that, I have to educate the italians that goals are more important than number of passes.[/quote]

they scored 4.....england scored 2.... :D
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

getborn wrote:desperate times call for desperate measures.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/ ... 64x615.jpg
:lol:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

johnydep wrote:
getborn wrote:desperate times call for desperate measures.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/ ... 64x615.jpg
:lol:
See the bloke on the left wasnt quick enough ....... :lol:
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Faith No More wrote:
DOC wrote:england out in the quaters as predicted :lol:
scotland at home playing with themselves.....AGAIN !
Ireland were the embarrassment of the tournament .
wales & Nthn Ireland lucky to beat san marino.

British football is a mess.
Someone likes my posts...

First off Ireland is not part of the uk so not British

Second Ireland has a team of aging stars, we make a tournament every 10 years so getting there is our goal, plus with that group not much was expected of the Irish, especially both dunne and given carrying injuries

Third football is prob the 4th sport in Ireland and participation is lower than the tradaitonal gaa games which are encouraged much more
ImageImage

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

neways, back to the Semis

Portugal V Spain
odds
$4.80 - portugal
$3.40 - draw
$1.99 - spain

Germany V Italy
$1.95 - germany
$3.50 - draw
$4.90 - Italy

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Lukas Podolski says he and his team-mates do not have any reason to fear any of Germany's remaining rivals for the Euro 2012 crown.
Joachim Loew's side beat Greece 4-2 in the first of the quarter-finals to set up a semi-final clash against Cesare Prandelli's Italy, who overcame England on penalties.

With that victory, Germany set a record by winning 15 consecutive competitive matches, and Podolski says that his side is carrying an unbreakable momentum into every match.

"The confidence in the Germany team is very high after the way our tournament has gone so far," he said.

"I watched almost all the other matches, and I know one thing. In this year's tournament there is not one single team we have to be afraid of.

"Modern football is very fast and aggressive - exactly as it is played in Germany. It suits us. So if it's a final with Spain, we'll be happy and we'll believe we can win," he said.

"But let's wait. First they, and we, have to win our semi-finals."

The 27-year-old sat out the win against Greece after being replaced by young star Andre Schurrle, but is confident of regaining his place in Loew's starting line-up.

"I'm not making a fuss and I'm not feeling down," he said. "Nothing bad has happened, has it? The coach wanted to try out other players and they did well.

"The most important thing is what's good for the team. We won and the rest doesn't matter.

"Of course I want to play this time and maybe the coach was just saving my strength for the semi-final. Who knows?

"I just have to work hard in training and show I am ready. Whatever happens, I cannot wait for the battle in Warsaw. We will be up for it."

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Riccardo Montolivo says Germany and Spain should watch out, because Italy fear no team at Euro 2012.
Cesare Prandelli's men take on their old rivals Germany on Thursday, but the 27-year-old, who will join AC Milan from Fiorentina this summer, has praised the Azzurri's performances in the tournament so far, especially given that their build-up was marred by the Scommessopoli scandal.

He also said that despite Germany and Spain being favourites for the competition, Prandelli's side are not afraid to take them on.

"We've played well in all of our games so far in the tournament," he said.

"Now we will face Germany, probably the best team with Spain, but we will be ready to challenge them.

"We don't fear anybody."

Montolivo, who missed his penalty in the quarter-final shoot-out victory over England, is expected to keep his place in the Azzurri's starting XI for the semi-final in Warsaw.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Germany will look to end their winless run against Italy in major tournaments when the two meet in Thursday's Euro 2012 semi-final.
The Germans have failed to beat Italy in seven previous attempts at major tournaments, the most recent being a 2-0 loss after extra-time at the 2006 World Cup.

It's a run which has seen Germany taste victory just seven times in 30 fixtures and they are without success in 17 years, a run stretching back to 1995.

But the form shown by Joachim Loew's side at these championships suggests the streak may be about to come to an end.

Since losing to eventual winners Spain in the semi-finals of the 2010 World Cup, Germany have won 15 consecutive competitive fixtures, which include four wins at this year's championships.

And the third-ranked side has netted nine goals in Poland and Ukraine, with four of those coming against Greece in the quarter-finals.

However, Italy will pose a far greater threat than the 2004 European champions.

To date, the Italians have conceded a mere two goals in four matches and held Spain to a 1-1 draw in their Euro 2012 opening fixture.

The most impressive aspect of Italy's game has been the performances from experienced campaigner Andrea Pirlo.

Pirlo has put in a number of stellar showings, in particular his match against England, but don't expect the midfield maestro to be given as much time and space on Friday.

This German side, boasting the likes of Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mesut Oezil will enjoy extended periods of possession.

In terms of injury news, Italian centre back Giorgio Chiellini could make a return on Thursday having missed his nation's quarter-final clash with a hamstring strain.

The Juventus defender said he could be fit and ready to play at Warsaw's National Stadium.

"I feel better," he said. "We'll see in the next few days but I hope and I think that I can play on Thursday."

For Germany, Schweinsteiger insists he feels 100 percent fit despite suffering from a number of niggling injuries.

"I'm very happy and I feel OK," Schweinsteiger said. "I know how to deal with the situation. I'm looking forward to the game, and trying my best to be ready.

"I'm feeling better today (Monday). I feel fit enough to start, and I'm really eager to do so. When I say that I feel good, I mean it."

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Reigning champions Spain do battle with Portugal in their Euro 2012 semi-final on Wednesday with one man on coach Vicente del Bosque's mind.
Paulo Bento's Portugal possess one of the most damaging players at the tournament in Poland and Ukraine with Cristiano Ronaldo's three goals to date and constant threat helping them into the last four in style.

The Spaniards know Ronaldo all too well with four likely starters being team-mates of his at Real Madrid, while another five have played against him countless times for Barcelona.

Ronaldo scored the winner as Portugal played the Czech Republic off the park in their 1-0 quarter-final win and will pose a threat to Spain, who were thoroughly dominant against France to win 2-0.

Despite striker Helder Postiga sidelined with a hamstring injury, Del Bosque is not expecting Bento to spring any major tactical surprises.

"They are going to keep the 4-3-3 that they have used so far," Del Bosque said.

"It is true that the other teams that we have faced have made reinforcements to their defence, but I don't expect that Portugal will change anything."

Portugal have been lethal on the counter-attack in wins against the Czechs and the Netherlands and although they required a playoff to reach the tournament, they appear to have reached their peak at the right time.

"Portugal have players like Nani, who is a very intelligent footballer, (Joao) Moutinho with his clever passes, (Raul) Meireles and his powerful shots from outside of the area," Del Bosque said.

"They have strong and powerful defenders and two full-backs that fit well in their attacking shape."

But with Ronaldo on the other side, Del Bosque knows that Spain's possession style could play into the hands of Portugal, as it did when they handed Spain their biggest defeat since 1950 with a 4-0 friendly win in Lisbon in 2010.

"They don't need much of the ball because with one counter-attack or one long ball they have Ronaldo," he said.

"It is obvious that he is a one-off; there is nobody else like him. I would like to keep him quiet and not let him play, but this will need lots of team-work in order to deny him space when Portugal have the ball."

Del Bosque has raised eyebrows throughout the tournament by fielding an 11 without a recognised striker.

Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has occupied the 'false nine' position for much of the tournament, relegating Chelsea striker Fernando Torres to bit-part roles after a lean season.

World-class midfielders Xavi, Andreas Iniesta, Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso and David Silva lend support to effectively comprise a six-man, interchangeable midfield.

Spain maintain their favourites tag as the reigning world and European champions but will be wary of a dangerous Portugal side sure to make this a memorable Iberian clash.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

DOC wrote:First off Ireland is not part of the uk so not British
Depends whether you are talking about northern or southern ireland!

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

DOC wrote:First off Ireland is not part of the uk so not British
Depends whether you are talking about northern or southern ireland!
Who cares ?
they are both shite !
good argument though, we were crap due to injuries ( no other team had injuries to good players ) & it's not our native sport.
what next ?
We don't play well in green ?
we couldn't find any Guiness ?
Nobody in the Ukraine could understand us when we said Diddley dee potatoes ?

see you back in another 20 years at a major tournament.

matrightyeh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by matrightyeh »

italy will win this thing
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Spain are looking very tired. If they get through this (and assuming Italy are knocked out), Germany will crush them.

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

Another borefest from the spaniards
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

was Ronaldo supposed to take the 5th penalty???i find it strange that he wouldnt be one of the first to take a penalty

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Chaos wrote:Another borefest from the spaniards
I didn't think it was boring, but I do think they've gone too far on this possession at all costs thing. As with any facet of football, it can't be the right choice every time and, whilst it's very pretty, they need to mix it up more. Which by the way, is something I think the Germans do very well.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Hawkesy's Solicitor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hawkesy's Solicitor »

Rookie wrote:was Ronaldo supposed to take the 5th penalty???i find it strange that he wouldnt be one of the first to take a penalty

Who knows? Either way it was nice to see him lose.
When I have people around for dinner I make sure I set aside a couple of options for vegetarians.
They can make do or they can shiraz off !!

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Chade wrote:Spain are looking very tired. If they get through this (and assuming Italy are knocked out), Germany will crush them.
Agree there ....... the only time I thought they played their proper game was in extra time

Chade
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chade »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Chade wrote:Spain are looking very tired. If they get through this (and assuming Italy are knocked out), Germany will crush them.
Agree there ....... the only time I thought they played their proper game was in extra time
Perhaps a slight correction is in order - Xavi specifically looked very, very tired, especially in the second half. Once he went off it gave Alonso and Busquets a bit more space to work in (that and the game was finally opening up due to general tiredness), because Iniesta roams wider more than Xavi does.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote:was Ronaldo supposed to take the 5th penalty???i find it strange that he wouldnt be one of the first to take a penalty

2 schools of thought here. Have your best penalty taker on early doors to get you off to a good start. OR leave him until 5th, that one is going to be the penalty with the most pressure (if it gets that far).

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

2 schools of thought here. Have your best penalty taker on early doors to get you off to a good start. OR leave him until 5th, that one is going to be the penalty with the most pressure (if it gets that far).
Can't stand forwards who don't jump at the chance to take a penalty. WTF are they on the pitch for if it's not to score goals?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:Can't stand forwards who don't jump at the chance to take a penalty. WTF are they on the pitch for if it's not to score goals?

Agreed!

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Can't stand forwards who don't jump at the chance to take a penalty. WTF are they on the pitch for if it's not to score goals?
I'm sure he was going to take one, just the 5th one .... but never got to it !