SCHOOL SOCCER

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

vidic15
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

SCHOOL SOCCER

Post by vidic15 »

do you think that players should play school soccer aswell as there club?

maximum
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: SCHOOL SOCCER

Post by maximum »

Should be left to the individual and not dictated by either school or club. As long as one doesn't interfere with the other that is.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

gooie wrote:Should be left to the individual and not dictated by either school or club. As long as one doesn't interfere with the other that is.
Unfortunately it does interfere. The private schools are the problem, they threaten the students with suspension if they don't play for the school.

I know clubs from the eastern side approached these schools a few years ago asking them to play their games wednesday afternoon but was told flat out no :x
STAY ON YOUR FEET

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

From an SANFL and AFL perspective the schools rule the roost, players are often withdrawn from their league teams due to school football commitments. Personally I think they need to work on the scheduling so the kids can do both. Schools threatening kids with suspension must be given a warning from the authorities, that is just bizarre.

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Personally I think the more kids spent time playing the game the better but when the kids reach the age of playing senior or rep football, the should be some consideration taken by the schools!
I get the feeling watching school soccer that winning is the main focus by the schools and more so with main rivals. Some of the coaching leaves me scratching my head and is pretty much opposite to what I like to teach, but like I said before I suppose the more time spent with the ball the better!
Would really like to see more schools hire decent coaching staff and take the game and player safety a little more seriously :wink:

Southampton #7
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Southampton #7 »

SILENT P wrote:
gooie wrote:Should be left to the individual and not dictated by either school or club. As long as one doesn't interfere with the other that is.
Unfortunately it does interfere. The private schools are the problem, they threaten the students with suspension if they don't play for the school.

I know clubs from the eastern side approached these schools a few years ago asking them to play their games wednesday afternoon but was told flat out no :x
send your kids to state schools an d you wont have a problem , but if you think your childs education comes first play by the rules.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

Nova wrote:Personally I think the more kids spent time playing the game the better but when the kids reach the age of playing senior or rep football, the should be some consideration taken by the schools!
I get the feeling watching school soccer that winning is the main focus by the schools and more so with main rivals. Some of the coaching leaves me scratching my head and is pretty much opposite to what I like to teach, but like I said before I suppose the more time spent with the ball the better!
Would really like to see more schools hire decent coaching staff and take the game and player safety a little more seriously :wink:
Isn't Megabonus our resident school football coach, he seems like a quality kind of guy, more of the same would be good.

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Southampton #7 wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

send your kids to state schools an d you wont have a problem , but if you think your childs education comes first play by the rules.
Silent P is a coach and he's talking about his players that play senior football that are forced to play a game in the morning for the school, then play club soccer sometimes an hour later :wink:

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

povman_2009 wrote:
Nova wrote:Personally I think the more kids spent time playing the game the better but when the kids reach the age of playing senior or rep football, the should be some consideration taken by the schools!
Isn't Megabonus our resident school football coach, he seems like a quality kind of guy, more of the same would be good.
Yes he is, and we need more of people like him :wink:

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

My son last year played for his school in Eastern Dist and for his club on Saturdays and I coached both teams but club committment came first with no demands from school. With respect to school comp it is not as organised and played at 1 venue.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

My son has joined the ranks of the coaching world at the tender age of 16 he is looking after a Year 8 girls team in Football and supporting the boundary umpires within his region as as assistant coach, he must have my genes after all...

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

I'm usually highly supportive of school soccer, but Son of a Manalishi's schedule for the next week and a half has me a little worried...

Thursday School Training/ Club training
Saturday School match
Sunday Club match
Monday School Trial game (Yr 8/9 vs Yr10)
Tuesday Club training
Wednesday Yr 8/9 Knock out Cup (two matches)
Saturday School match
Sunday Club match

I think there's at least one kid in similar circumstances who has State training on top of this schedule. Of course some schools have their internal soccer programs during school hours, but with the exception of the Knock Out cup all the above is 'after hours'

SoM looks forward to schol matches as much as club matches as theye are a good distraction from the 'pressure' of the club matches - he might not be as keen this week.

One thing schools need to sort out are some of the crap pitches they expect their kids to play on (Adelaide High, Blackfriars are you listening?).

I'd be interested to hear what rabbit has to say on this subject.

GM
Occasionally available in blue

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

I agree, the more the kids play the better for them (coaching aside). School soccer also alows talented kids to experiment and do things that they normally would not do at club level.

Let the kids play and have fun.

Black Hawk
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Black Hawk »

School soccer is great. Why wouldn't you play. The frienships gained at school are as powerful as those from football and there is no better place to entrench them then on the school football field.

The lower standards provide a game for all and a chance for "club" (more advanced players) to gain confidence and credibiltity.

A school game on saturday morning with correct recovery and rest in the afternoon is a much better preparation for the Sunday club game than a lazy start to Saturday followed by a day of video gaming.

Parents or clubs wanting to wrap their U13-U16 players in cotton wool "saving" them for sunday's BIG club game are just nonsense. The real Saturday evils to watch for are sleepovers and parties resulting in late nights, inactivity on a Saturday and/or overeating.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

Black Hawk wrote:School soccer is great. Why wouldn't you play. The frienships gained at school are as powerful as those from football and there is no better place to entrench them then on the school football field.

The lower standards provide a game for all and a chance for "club" (more advanced players) to gain confidence and credibiltity.

A school game on saturday morning with correct recovery and rest in the afternoon is a much better preparation for the Sunday club game than a lazy start to Saturday followed by a day of video gaming.

Parents or clubs wanting to wrap their U13-U16 players in cotton wool "saving" them for sunday's BIG club game are just nonsense. The real Saturday evils to watch for are sleepovers and parties resulting in late nights, inactivity on a Saturday and/or overeating.
I don't disagree with you Black Hawk but what about the kids that play 19s and reserves on Saturdays?
STAY ON YOUR FEET

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

SILENT P wrote:
Black Hawk wrote:School soccer is great. Why wouldn't you play. The frienships gained at school are as powerful as those from football and there is no better place to entrench them then on the school football field.

I don't disagree with you Black Hawk but what about the kids that play 19s and reserves on Saturdays?
Depends on what they want for their own future - academic of sporting career.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

johnydep wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

Depends on what they want for their own future - academic of sporting career.
How is playing school soccer an academic future? Why don't these private schools just move their games to wednesday afternoons and everyone is happy.
STAY ON YOUR FEET

Allrise
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Allrise »

don't have a problem with school soccer per se.
but private schools which make it compulsory for kids to play sports, not just soccer need to ensure that the facilities are up to scratch - they owe the kids a duty of care. EG - last sat I was at a school soccer game and the kids had to deal with playing through a cricket pitch covered in sand stretching from the centre to the side line.
hope these schools have a decent public liability policy in place!

cheesecake shop 2
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by cheesecake shop 2 »

SILENT P wrote:
How is playing school soccer an academic future? Why don't these private schools just move their games to wednesday afternoons and everyone is happy.
What happens if you train on Wednesday.
CMON CARLTON
crue head wrote:
looprevil wrote:No. But there is no harm in being positive to AUFC.
Maybe everyone doesn't adore AUFC

Last time I checked it's not an AUFC supporters only forum

So no need to tell them to 'F OFF'

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

cheesecake shop 2 wrote:
SILENT P wrote:
You are a :clown:

They would play their games at 3:30, most trainings for senior tems do not start until 6-6:30.
STAY ON YOUR FEET

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

SILENT P wrote:
cheesecake shop 2 wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

They would play their games at 3:30, most trainings for senior tems do not start until 6-6:30.
Why is he clown? It's a valid question.

Schools have had Saturday soccer longer than most clubs have had or cared about juniors. There will always be pros & cons to every day you mention; Wednesday - get the homework done and off to club training.

Some public schools also have Saturday soccer.

At the end of the day it is the kids and their parents choice - an academic future or a sporting future. Look at the stats, most kids go on to get a job and play soccer in the State/Premier/Super and even Amateur leagues. Only a minority move into professional sports. So at the end of the day who benefits from the kids missing out on Saturday soccer - the club but not most kids.

Let the kids play, they enjoy it, they have fun, they make life long friends that will help them into Uni and adult careers and that's all that counts in the end.

cheesecake shop 2
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by cheesecake shop 2 »

SILENT P wrote:
cheesecake shop 2 wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

So after playing a school game you think they would really like to train????

Are you drunk already???
CMON CARLTON
crue head wrote:
looprevil wrote:No. But there is no harm in being positive to AUFC.
Maybe everyone doesn't adore AUFC

Last time I checked it's not an AUFC supporters only forum

So no need to tell them to 'F OFF'

back of the net
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by back of the net »

I know for my son we had to sign a contract, which to this day is for me a joke...but... if you take the meaning of the contract then his school should supply him with adequate levels of coaching....they do not..like most schools and clubs coaches are people that care.....but i think all schools that play football should follow the NFC that has been released as a minimum requirement....and should be accredited by the league...my opinion...

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Green_Manalishi wrote:I'm usually highly supportive of school soccer, but Son of a Manalishi's schedule for the next week and a half has me a little worried...

Saturday School match
Sunday Club match
Monday School Trial game (Yr 8/9 vs Yr10)
Tuesday Club training
Wednesday Yr 8/9 Knock out Cup (two matches)
Saturday School match
Sunday Club match

I think there's at least one kid in similar circumstances who has State training on top of this schedule. Of course some schools have their internal soccer programs during school hours, but with the exception of the Knock Out cup all the above is 'after hours'

SoM looks forward to schol matches as much as club matches as theye are a good distraction from the 'pressure' of the club matches - he might not be as keen this week.

One thing schools need to sort out are some of the crap pitches they expect their kids to play on (Adelaide High, Blackfriars are you listening?).

I'd be interested to hear what rabbit has to say on this subject.

GM
When I was a kid....soccer was EVERYTHING
When I was a kid....school meant NOTHING
Combining the two was difficult.....
:idea: Simple.....I stopped going to school :lol:

My youngest son was told by his teacher once that school soccer was more important than Club soccer.....that important that week in, week out they only had 8 or 9 players, no refs, unqualified Coaches and crap pitches, leading to injuries.
Before an appearance at Hindmarsh on a Sunday 2 or 3 years ago, I decided to have a light training session on the Saturday before at the Paddocks to go through final instructions for the big game. One teacher said to one of my players................"if you don't turn up for the school this Saturday and go to your Club instead, you'll never play for the school again ":shock: He never played for the school again but has since had UK trials, played for SASI, first team for his Club and trains with Adelaide Utd...
School soccer has its place....but certainly not over Club Soccer.

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

rabbit wrote:When I was a kid....soccer was EVERYTHING
When I was a kid....school meant NOTHING
Combining the two was difficult.....
:idea: Simple.....I stopped going to school :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for nothing! After reading the above, Son of a Manalishi has announced that he will be leaving school the first opportunity he gets!

I think the biggest worry is state of the some of the pitches.
Occasionally available in blue

Black Hawk
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Black Hawk »

SILENT P wrote:

Line ball that one. What do you recon?

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

I don't disagree with kids playing school soccer but for the schools to threaten the kids with suspension is a joke.

If they switched their games to midweek, there would not be a problem.

jonnydep, what has school soccer got to do with having an academic future? Their academic future should not be threatened if they do not want yo play school soccer.
Last edited by SILENT P on Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAY ON YOUR FEET

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

SILENT P wrote:I don't disagree with kids playing school soccer but for the schools to threaten the kids with suspension is a joke.

If they switched their games to midweek, there would not be a problem.

jonnydep, what has school soccer got to do with having an academic future? Their academic future should not be threatened if they do not want yo play school soccer.
Just another "passing" drill maybe :wink: :oops:

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

obviously the better coaches and facilities (mostly, some of the private schools have great facilities) are generally better at club level. clubs also offer a development pathway, it's where you're going to get 'spotted' 'scouted' what ever you want to call it. where do you go if you play for your school once year 12 is over, the old scholars team in div 5 (no offence intended). schools should leave their saturday comps as a social thing, if you've got some good players lucky you, if not, too bad. Sports run knockout comps during the year which are played during school hours, and for those games bring in the big guns.
but.....
at least the schools are having a uniform policy applying to all sports now. when my brother was at school it applied to the aussie rules players but no one else.
Also, do any of the girls schools have the same policy or even the co-eds, does the rule apply to the girls teams too? Doubt it.

prefly
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by prefly »

School sports have more to do with the sporting prestige of the school than any academic or sporting development of the players. The school my kids attend are passionate about the students playing sport but in a community/club setting. They don't apologise for putting the spiritual and academic interests of the student first. They will be participating in the knock-out comps but have a attitude that if the do well that's fantastic but have some fun doing it. This suspending kids from school for not playing in the school teams is just a joke - right I mean what parent would allow that to happen, isn't it the parents and the child that decides what they do? But then maybe that's why my kids school get a number of students transferring from other schools during the football/soccer season. :wink: I'm more interested in what Tertiary Entrance Score my kids get than school trophy's. On a purely soccer angle one, of my lads is a keeper and he already trains 3/4 times a week and a game Sunday he doesn't need any more work than that, let alone the increased chance of injury, I don't think he would mind but I would.