ADL v SYD

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

ADL v SYD

Post by billy the kid »

Big game tomorrow night against the talent heavy ego driven Sydney side.

Any changes or thoughts?

DAWBER in (if fit) Campagnale OUT

ABBEY? Injured or unavailable? If fit, I'd have her in at the expense of I Hodgson.

I'm predicting Adelaide 3 Sydney 3 (sorry but I hope I am wrong).

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: ADL v SYD

Post by Ben Rath »

Always worried that Abbey injured when not picked. Hasn't had much luck.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

I believe match tomorrow night to be shown live on FOX 505 (from 7:00pm ).

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Dawber and Abbey both injured.

I actually think Abbey might not have a contract anymore as they aren't listing her as an OUT or unavailable on the team lists? Not sure though. But they list Dawber and Mullan as injured/unavailable.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks for the update.

Sadly, I think this situation with player's injuries is a serious matter. Hope they all recover quickly and get back onto the park. It's an exciting season for AUFC-W

Rightside wrote:Dawber and Abbey both injured.

I actually think Abbey might not have a contract anymore as they aren't listing her as an OUT or unavailable on the team lists? Not sure though. But they list Dawber and Mullan as injured/unavailable.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

What has happened to Kahlia Hogg also? Assuming injury.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

WOW what a night in Manly and what a game. Result aside, the game had all the drama. We started sensationally with Latsko scoring. Then the weather break. Then AUFC continued to press and create chances. THEN Sydney turn on the afterburners. De Vanna left the pitch. Princess arrived and the game turned in SFC’s favour. Former AUFC players Colaprico and Huerta put on a master class and turned the game on its head as did McCaskill’s blistering mid field defensive cutting runs. Sub were made for AUFC and the cupboard began to look bare.

That saying it was a good game to watch. Think De Vanna may be on the look out for a new club.

Warning signs that could cause AUFC some headaches moving forward.

Thoughts?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I thought the girls did really well- there’s a grit and determination in the squad this year that has been missing in previous years. They fight for each other and don’t give up. Sarah Willacy’s performances have been inspirational. And of course the internationals are all class.

That said, Sydney definitely seems to have found their feet. A statistic flashed last night goes a long way towards telling the story- Between them, the Sydney players have 343 Matilda’s caps from 7 different players, not to mention several caps for the USWNT from Colaprico and Huerta. United has 67 from 3, with 63 of them belong to Heyman. That’s a serious imbalance between the two sides in terms of level of experience throughout the sides . I think it makes our performance all the more remarkable in scoring first, responding to Sydney’s second and holding the Sydney attack for as long as they did. . Well done girls, in spite of the result. Looking forward to some more wins in the coming weeks.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

SAD GAL wrote:Warning signs that could cause AUFC some headaches moving forward.Thoughts?
Firstly well done on a very good effort to match it with Sydney in Sydney for as long as we did given in the past we've been so poor.

I still firmly believe Ivan must immediately address the right fullback position which was even more evident than against Perth Glory.
Emily to her credit does try but unfortunately to me looks like a 'fish out of water'. Gets continually caught out of position so much so
that Checker was playing a double role in the 2nd half (stopper & as a backup right fullback) to cover Emily's deficiencies.
Emily, in all my years of playing/watching I've never witnessed a player taking so many throw-ins & give the ball straight back to the opposition.
Yes it is great to push the youngsters up but at times with opposition like Perth, Sydney & MV we should look to the 'battle hardened'.
Grant another youngster trying to mix it with 'the big girls' was for me also disappointing & a passenger for most of the match.

On top of this unfortunately we were a no show in the midfield & hence we had no answer for Colaprico (my B.O.G.) & McCaskill.

Having said the above, this season the positives far outweigh the negatives & I remain confident we can win vs MV next Friday night.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Lots to like about this team. Scar I agree with your comments and my views are the jump from NTC - WNPL to W League is a HUGE one and that it may be to the detriment of the player. I'm all for development however, not at the expense of a strong team (starting 11) and a equally strong squad/bench. Our bench last week was exposed. Hopefully that will be rectified with a couple to retune form injury. Always a fine line though in new talent to develop an a strong team with hardened bodies ready to take on the game.

For me, the defence is a concern. Take Willacy's exceptional keeping this season and those shots she stopped (defies belief) then the ladder position may alter. I watched the Perth game again and I think we were exposed in defence.

I still think we will make the top 4 and we as a team will rise to the challenge.

LOVE OF FOOTBALL
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by LOVE OF FOOTBALL »

scar wrote:
SAD GAL wrote:Warning signs that could cause AUFC some headaches moving forward.Thoughts?
Firstly well done on a very good effort to match it with Sydney in Sydney for as long as we did given in the past we've been so poor.

I still firmly believe Ivan must immediately address the right fullback position which was even more evident than against Perth Glory.
Emily to her credit does try but unfortunately to me looks like a 'fish out of water'. Gets continually caught out of position so much so
that Checker was playing a double role in the 2nd half (stopper & as a backup right fullback) to cover Emily's deficiencies.
Emily, in all my years of playing/watching I've never witnessed a player taking so many throw-ins & give the ball straight back to the opposition.
Yes it is great to push the youngsters up but at times with opposition like Perth, Sydney & MV we should look to the 'battle hardened'.
Grant another youngster trying to mix it with 'the big girls' was for me also disappointing & a passenger for most of the match.

On top of this unfortunately we were a no show in the midfield & hence we had no answer for Colaprico (my B.O.G.) & McCaskill.

Having said the above, this season the positives far outweigh the negatives & I remain confident we can win vs MV next Friday night.
I also agree with your comments scar. Emily is a lovely player but is still not ready for the W League. Watching several games, I have noticed the opposition teams exposing Emily as the weak link. Our midfield is not as potent as it should be and feel sorry for Michelle Heyman not having to score yet.
Question I would like answered is why is Michelle Heyman playing deep all the time?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Emily I a work in progress of sorts. Has been in the AUFC squad for a few years though and has had a stint in the Matildas youth/young squad. For mine I have always seen the W League as the competition for the best players and not the developing players.

Yes there needs to be a balance however, between the local WNPL and overseas/interstate recruits, we should be putting a mature squad on the pitch.

Heyman is playing deep to get the ball because the centre mid has been a tad off and she needs to sure up the mid defensively and then turn around and head to goals and assist Latsko. Willacy has saved Adelaide with her brilliance and although the defence has been praised we’ve been exposed.

Moving forward something needs to occur with local girls who roll from one season to another without a break. They are not professionals. They do not have the conditioning and down time to recuperate and fatigue will end their campaigns. The depth of the team may be an issue heading to the end of the season though.

That said, I like Ivan’s game style. The energy from the team and we will make the 4.