2018 Women's State League Structure

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

SoccerInSA
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

2018 Women's State League Structure

Post by SoccerInSA »

So this came out today... Thoughts? :D

Dear All

Football Federation SA (FFSA) is pleased to announce that in 2018, the Women’s State League (WSL) will comprise of eight teams. FFSA has been working with a number of clubs that had indicated intent to join the Women’s State League Competition and provide an elite career pathway for their players.

As a consequence the following teams will compete in the WSL for 2018;
1. Adelaide Comets
2. Adelaide Jaguars
3. Campbelltown City
4. Croydon Kings
5. Para Hills Knights
6. Salisbury United
7. South Adelaide
8. Western Strikers

FFSA acknowledges that one of the challenges of the WSL has been to develop a strong and sustainable competition that supports the Women’s National Premier League (WNPL). Eight teams in both of these competitions are pivotal to the development of elite women’s football in South Australia. The focus of FFSA is to work with all clubs in the WSL to develop a long-term sustainable WSL.

The first step to creating a stronger league has been to ensure that all clubs competing have a reserve team, therefore creating an eight team WSL Reserve Competition to support the senior team. In addition, FFSA is strongly advocating for all teams to have juniors, with a specific emphasis on Aldi MiniRoos.

FFSA do not plan to implement any further changes in the WSL for 2018. Any future proposed changes will take into consideration the ongoing sustainability of the League.

Kind Regards

Firas Shahin
Women’s Competition Coordinator

GameOn17
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: 2018 Women's State League Structure

Post by GameOn17 »

Well considering Adelaide Comets beat a WNPL side convincingly last Thursday night, I think the state league will have a huge quality difference between the top team and the bottom team just like last year.
Comets should come out on top and Croydon will be at the bottom with a goal difference of -100+.
FFSA say there are reserves teams for each WSL team but I highly doubt that. They said that last year about Croydon and the poor Croydon players played two 90 minute games every Sunday.
In the end, the players will get sick of it, they’ll leave their respective WSL clubs to go to WNPL and once again there will be no players or teams to maintain the WSL.

Why not make the WNPL a 10 team league (keep Campbelltown in and added another WSL team) and place the other teams in the divisions below WSL?

Another stupid move by FFSA.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Excellent move and one that will give rise to a proper relegation and promotion structure.

The State League isn't an inferior league. The teams in there will do well. Yes it may well be Comets top an Croydon bottom.

The Comets are slowly building a solid women's team structure and by mere misfortune aren't in the WNPL this season. Had a play off against Cumby and lost. Be afraid of this Giant. It'll be another Salisbury Inter MKII.

The WNPL need this pressure and we saw it 2017 with many teams who didn't make the playoffs fight until the end to remain in the WNPL and avoid relegation or go into a playoff with a State League team.

Teams like Fulham and Cumby need to be at their best OR else they'll be out of WNPL. Salisbury will have no problems remaining in the WNPL.

All in all Firas...Good move.

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

SAD GAL how can you say is this a good move?

Yes, the structure is correct (with all teams having a reserve) but the teams that have been included is a joke. Clearly, the FFSA did not learn anything from the Croydon fiasco last year…..

State League is the second highest tier in our competition and it should be for teams that are knocking on WNPL’s door, not newly formed teams. The rules state that new teams must be comprised of 50% new previously unregistered players, so we will once again have Div 5 players playing in our second highest tier!!!! How is this good for the game or the girls???

How is it good for the teams that are at the playing calibre that is required of SL, playing teams that are at a playing level of Div 4/5? How do these teams use their games to improve and challenge their players? I know that players didn’t enjoy playing Croydon this year for that reason, and would have forfeited games against them if it wasn’t for the fine. NTC used these games as a training session and would practice different set drills…….The FFSA know this and yet are letting it occur again.

State League is like the old one way Southern Expressway! Everyone else can see it’s a joke but the designers think its awesome!!!

ajfc
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ajfc »

Clearly there are teams that have been included this year that are yet to be seen.
Lets see what the standard is like , and then make comment.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Rascal21 It is my opinion. Agree or not, that's how I see it. However, you have a lot to offer in the argument and I can see why you believe that the SL should be rationed for the best (as the lead in to the WNPL). I agree however, sometimes you need to set the bar high and give the lesser teams a crack at WNPL and if they follow the Comets or Salisbury Inter models, they will get a crack at the WNPL. To dumb it down because of Croydon isn't the answer.

Like the AFL-W, there is only so much top end talent to go around in SL and WNPL.

I agree it's worth a go and thereafter review whether or not it was a success or a fizzer. Something needs to happen though.

rr3174376
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by rr3174376 »

Not the best start....South Adelaide have withdrawn from the State League

True?

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

rr3174376 wrote:Not the best start....South Adelaide have withdrawn from the State League

True?

Must be true, P H Knights now have a bye in Round 1 fixtures - opportunity for someone in Division 1 to step up take the vacant spot ?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Not going to happen General- I think you’ll find that the better sides in div I are from clubs with WNPL sides, so they can’t be in State League. Exception is Flinders, but they don’t have juniors and so can’t meet criteria. Other clubs in Div I would need enough players to field a first and second team, plus required junior teams. They are not able to do it.

It is an opportunity but nobody is in a position to take advantage of it.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

A few clubs in State League without juniors though - Salisbury United, Para Hills Knights and Western Strikers, so Flinders could definetly jump into State League and build junior girls just as quickly as the other clubs in there if they wanted to. Flinders are in a better position then SU, PHK and WS in my opinion because they have other social teams with players they can lean on for first team and reserves when numbers get lean during the season.

For me, flinders should be moving in.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Juniors is a requirement for WNPL, it only really becomes an issue if they win promotion. Although those SL clubs should be working towards having junior teams in the future. Croydon haven't brought in any junior girls teams this year either which is a little surprising.
Last edited by themagnet on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Wasn’t aware those teams have no juniors. Clearly criteria have gone out the window where state league is concerned. FFSA just doing what they need to to keep it afloat. Let’s hope things don’t deteriorate any further.

Captn birdseye
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Captn birdseye »

Rightside wrote:A few clubs in State League without juniors though - Salisbury United, Para Hills Knights and Western Strikers, so Flinders could definetly jump into State League and build junior girls just as quickly as the other clubs in there if they wanted to. Flinders are in a better position then SU, PHK and WS in my opinion because they have other social teams with players they can lean on for first team and reserves when numbers get lean during the season.

Flinders Div 1 could jump in, however, they don't have a reserves team or "players they can lean on", the next Div down is 4. It would be wrong to ask a Div 4 team to go into reserves. I know their Div 1 team struggled for numbers most of last year as a result of the difference in skill levels. Hopefully, they have been able to recruit some extra players after their success the last few years. But then again, with the State Government building a train station and shopping complex on their grounds, i think going into SL is the least of their concerns.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Captn birdseye wrote:
Rightside wrote:A few clubs in State League without juniors though - Salisbury United, Para Hills Knights and Western Strikers, so Flinders could definetly jump into State League and build junior girls just as quickly as the other clubs in there if they wanted to. Flinders are in a better position then SU, PHK and WS in my opinion because they have other social teams with players they can lean on for first team and reserves when numbers get lean during the season.

Flinders Div 1 could jump in, however, they don't have a reserves team or "players they can lean on", the next Div down is 4. It would be wrong to ask a Div 4 team to go into reserves. I know their Div 1 team struggled for numbers most of last year as a result of the difference in skill levels. Hopefully, they have been able to recruit some extra players after their success the last few years. But then again, with the State Government building a train station and shopping complex on their grounds, i think going into SL is the least of their concerns.
Didn't Flinders pick up the senior players from Cove who were going to nominate Div 1 ? Just seems crazy to have a bye in the State league.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The General wrote:
Captn birdseye wrote:

Didn't Flinders pick up the senior players from Cove who were going to nominate Div 1 ? Just seems crazy to have a bye in the State league.
There has been a bye in Division 1 for the last four years form teams pulling out either a fortnight prior to kickoff or after Round 1.

The responsibility shouldn't fall on the shoulders of clubs to "step up", it should be placed back on the clubs pulling out who fail to engage players early enough in pre-season or want to avoid "getting smashed".