Melissa Barbieri thanks Ross Aloisi for saving her career

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Melissa Barbieri thanks Ross Aloisi for saving her career

Post by M@rvin »

Lady Reds goal keeper Melissa Barbieri thanks coach Ross Aloisi for saving her career by: VAL MIGLIACCIO •From: The Advertiser •April 30, 2014 12:06AM
MELISSA Barbieri has claimed that if it wasn’t for Lady Reds coach Ross Aloisi her career would have been finished.
The former Matildas captain was one of Aloisi’s major signings after she had been on the outer from the national team and the W-League before the birth of daughter Holly last year.But the 34-year-old picked herself up off the canvas during the Lady Reds season was recalled back into Matildas training camps before winning the W-League’s goalkeeper of the year at the Football Federation Australia awards in Sydney on Monday.

“If I don’t play for the Lady Reds I won’t play for anyone else,’’ Barbieri said.“It’s been an emotional roller coaster having nothing and been given an opportunity and coming out here and getting an award it’s really nice.”

Barbieri, however, made sacrifices to play for the Lady Reds.She left her husband Geoff Hudson in Melbourne, packed her car and drove to Adelaide with Holly to fulfil an ambition of returning to the top flight W-League and the Matildas.

The move hit Barbieri financially hard.Last year she was forced to sell her personal memorabilia to make ends meet after Aloisi made her the foundation of the side which had its best ever season.“It probably tested my love for football,’’ Barbieri said after the move to Adelaide re-ignited her career.“It kind of got me down into the place thinking there is no loyalty in football and all the nasty things.“Then the universe gives you the Lady Reds and Ross (Aloisi) and the very essence of what loyalty is.

what he has shown me and what the Lady Reds have in the team environment is just like no other.“I have never had the feeling like being a Lady Red.”

Barbieri is currently in the Matildas final camp on the Gold Coast before interim boss Alen Stajcic names a squad of 23 for the AFC women’s Asian Cup in Vietnam next month.Barbieri is hoping she has the chance to defend the Asian Cup crown after the Matildas claimed the title in 2010.

She also wants to return to the Lady Reds next season.

“I haven’t signed yet my husband is doing the dealing right now with Ross (Aloisi),’’ Barbieri said.“If it doesn’t happen I won’t play it doesn’t have to happen like last season it really took a toll financially on my self and my family.

“If I can raise the funds and get a little bit more and have some help.“It might have to be she (Holly) stays in Melbourne and I do the travelling.“I’ve got a great support network my husband is amazing, my mum (Nori) is a zillion times any human capabilities.”
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Melissa Barbieri thanks Ross Aloisi for saving her caree

Post by juniorsupporter »

Crowd Funding?

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Better yet, FFA should put some of the money the got from Fox Sport into the W-League.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

There has never been any money in womens football in this country, all the girls know that u play because u love and r passionate about soccer if u don't like it change sports x

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Melissa Barbieri is an outstanding professional athlete with a true passion for the game. At the same time, she is a mother and wife- It's not easy to accommodate those commitments without any income. She is one of the best things to ever happen to the Lady Reds- all the players are better because she's there. We (FFSA, FFA, SA women's football community) need to find a way to make it possible for her to play for Adelaide again this year.

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

you cant just single 1 person out, there were lots of good players alot struggle to make ends meet, Babs is a great player but you shouldn't single 1 player out, after all theres no I in team

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I respectfully disagree. I acknowledge that soccer is a team sport and that every player on the pitch has a role to play and is important. I also think that Melissa barbieri would be the first person to agree with the adage about the letter. 'I' and team. But players with Bubs' experience and leadership style are like gold dust. For SA's younger players (goal keepers especially) Melissa barbieri is an invaluable resource and we should do everything we can to enable her and players like her (Kirsty Moore for example) to keep playing here in Adelaide. The future of the Lady Reds depends on it.

Mika Matsudaira
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mika Matsudaira »

gunners01 wrote:after all theres no I in team
There's no paper in the ladies room

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

Love it xx
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

I'm surprised FFSA haven't locked her into some kind of promotional role. She'd be fantastic as the 'face of' womens football in this state and would be a great draw card for promoting all kinds of girls clinics, carnivals, and would be a great mentor for the underage state teams.

Playthewhistle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Playthewhistle »

themagnet wrote:I'm surprised FFSA haven't locked her into some kind of promotional role. She'd be fantastic as the 'face of' womens football in this state and would be a great draw card for promoting all kinds of girls clinics, carnivals, and would be a great mentor for the underage state teams.
100% agree

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Hoefully she wont hang up the gloves now that she did'nt make the Matilda's squad.
Need her back next season.

George Graham

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Will be great if she returns next season and helps the Lady Reds push for a finals finish