"GO YOU REDS"

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
Quote:
The release of the 2013/14 National Cricket Census, shows 1.106 million Australians participated in cricket during 2013/14, cementing cricket as the number one participation sport in Australia as measured by independent research firm, Street Ryan.


http://www.glamadelaide.com.au/main/cri ... er-1-spot/

Not sure what the football numbers are now. Not really that surprising to see cricket catching up. Not massively concerning either and most people/kids are able to play both sport.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:53 am 
Offline
Star Player
Star Player

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 4519
Location: Olympic Park
Crazy. I know maybe 3 people that play cricket in the off season who all play Football and AFL during winter. The rest all just play either Football or AFL. Surprising figures. Maybe I need to get out more

_________________
Image

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
MG&Son wrote:
Crazy. I know maybe 3 people that play cricket in the off season who all play Football and AFL during winter. The rest all just play either Football or AFL. Surprising figures. Maybe I need to get out more

I guess its just down to Cricket being the only 'mainstream' sport played during summer. What else is there? Golf, surf lifesaving....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 am 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 979
Location: Adelaide
Stuckey wrote:
MG&Son wrote:
Crazy. I know maybe 3 people that play cricket in the off season who all play Football and AFL during winter. The rest all just play either Football or AFL. Surprising figures. Maybe I need to get out more

I guess its just down to Cricket being the only 'mainstream' sport played during summer. What else is there? Golf, surf lifesaving....


Tennis?

Cricket numbers would also be rising due to recent Indian, Sri Lankan and Pakistani immigrants I assume.

I always see them playing on Greenhill Rd.
It can be pouring with rain and they're still out there playing cricket!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 53175
Location: Between the lake and the beach
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:35 am 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 am
Posts: 867
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.

Exactly.
Depends what figures they are counting...
What does "participating" actually mean!?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
wizard wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
MG&Son wrote:
Crazy. I know maybe 3 people that play cricket in the off season who all play Football and AFL during winter. The rest all just play either Football or AFL. Surprising figures. Maybe I need to get out more

I guess its just down to Cricket being the only 'mainstream' sport played during summer. What else is there? Golf, surf lifesaving....


Tennis?

Cricket numbers would also be rising due to recent Indian, Sri Lankan and Pakistani immigrants I assume.

I always see them playing on Greenhill Rd.
It can be pouring with rain and they're still out there playing cricket!

Oh yeah! :clown:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:40 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Posts: 16587
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Xmas Day Bomber in the back yard?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
Vinnie wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.

Exactly.
Depends what figures they are counting...
What does "participating" actually mean!?

I would imagine it would mean that they are registered participants. They wouldn't be able to make those claims without being able to back them up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:43 am 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 11738
Location: On a freight train to crazy town
Stuckey wrote:
They wouldn't be able to make those claims without being able to back them up.

Image

_________________
Time for some righteous indignation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:07 pm 
Offline
Squad Player
Squad Player

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 pm
Posts: 1573
pretty much every kid in every country town in Australia plays cricket in summer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 1:22 pm
Posts: 979
Location: Adelaide
sephiroth wrote:
pretty much every kid in every country town in Australia plays cricket in summer.


They must get sick of playing against each other every week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:13 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:57 pm
Posts: 872
sephiroth wrote:
pretty much every kid in every country town in Australia plays cricket in summer.

Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world, only 10% of people actually live in rural areas. Who cares what the country kids do? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 pm 
Offline
Squad Player
Squad Player

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:57 pm
Posts: 1573
Old Gregg wrote:
sephiroth wrote:
pretty much every kid in every country town in Australia plays cricket in summer.

Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world, only 10% of people actually live in rural areas. Who cares what the country kids do? :D


I'm sure the ABS does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:21 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 53175
Location: Between the lake and the beach
ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Xmas Day Bomber in the back yard?


Yes, still happens (strong Kiwi influence) :wink:

I think I made 5 runs last time (got run out by partner) but still was third highest scorer in the team!

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 am
Posts: 16587
Bomber wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Xmas Day Bomber in the back yard?


Yes, still happens (strong Kiwi influence) :wink:

I think I made 5 runs last time (got run out by partner) but still was third highest scorer in the team!


We usually stop once the bag of tennis balls have all been belted over the fences.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:34 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:32 pm
Posts: 11777
Location: Retirement home
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 am
Posts: 867
Stuckey wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.

Exactly.
Depends what figures they are counting...
What does "participating" actually mean!?

I would imagine it would mean that they are registered participants. They wouldn't be able to make those claims without being able to back them up.

Registered where?
Indoor cricket centre? School programs? Community programs??

I believe AFL include their AusKick participants in the figures...

So what level are the kids "participating"???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:35 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 53175
Location: Between the lake and the beach
paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.


Not a keeper still I hope. Thats what the nectarine tree is for (auto wicky applies for any snicks behind).

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

What's people's policy on taking catches but spilling beer at the same time?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 pm 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 53175
Location: Between the lake and the beach
Stuckey wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

What's people's policy on taking catches but spilling beer at the same time?


Not out. Its a skill that needs mastering

_________________
Ignore this signature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 pm 
Offline
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:57 pm
Posts: 872
sephiroth wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:
sephiroth wrote:
pretty much every kid in every country town in Australia plays cricket in summer.

Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world, only 10% of people actually live in rural areas. Who cares what the country kids do? :D


I'm sure the ABS does.


Yep, and I'll listen to the ABS rather than Cricket Australia on this stuff - everything I can see points to cricket being down the list of participation sports.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:39 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
Vinnie wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Vinnie wrote:
I would imagine it would mean that they are registered participants. They wouldn't be able to make those claims without being able to back them up.

Registered where?
Indoor cricket centre? School programs? Community programs??

I believe AFL include their AusKick participants in the figures...

So what level are the kids "participating"???

I would say yes to all those things. If they've signed up to kick a ball or swing a bat they would be included in the numbers. Just like football would include as many junior numbers as possible. So its more then likely that a number of people/kids are included in more then one sport's numbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:32 pm
Posts: 11777
Location: Retirement home
Stuckey wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Maybe they count back yard cricket. If so, I'm a participant once a year.


Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

What's people's policy on taking catches but spilling beer at the same time?


Thats their problem.

The big arguement that comes up regularly is the one hand one bounce rule when a fielder goes to catch a ball with his right hand, it pops up and he uses his left to catch it, only using one hand at a time but for me its a no brainer, you've used 2 hands, no catch.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:41 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
paul merson wrote:

Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

What's people's policy on taking catches but spilling beer at the same time?


Not out. Its a skill that needs mastering

Preservation of beer was always my top priority! I guess I'm not the best team player!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am
Posts: 13400
Location: REDelaide
paul merson wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
paul merson wrote:

Yeh I play in a backyard cricket league.

What's people's policy on taking catches but spilling beer at the same time?


Thats their problem.

The big arguement that comes up regularly is the one hand one bounce rule when a fielder goes to catch a ball with his right hand, it pops up and he uses his left to catch it, only using one hand at a time but for me its a no brainer, you've used 2 hands, no catch.

Harsh call. I don't think there's a place for me in your side :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:02 pm 
Offline
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 11738
Location: On a freight train to crazy town
Old Gregg wrote:
Yep, and I'll listen to the ABS rather than Cricket Australia on this stuff - everything I can see points to cricket being down the list of participation sports.

Apparently football has taken a big dive since everyone was encouraged to go to their mate's wedding instead of turning up for the team on a Saturday afternoon.

_________________
Time for some righteous indignation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Football no longer Australia's #1 sport
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 pm 
Online
Club Captain
Club Captain

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm
Posts: 6544
Location: Campbelltown
Stitch This wrote:
Old Gregg wrote:
Yep, and I'll listen to the ABS rather than Cricket Australia on this stuff - everything I can see points to cricket being down the list of participation sports.

Apparently football has taken a big dive since everyone was encouraged to go to their mate's wedding instead of turning up for the team on a Saturday afternoon.


The Private, Independent and Catholic schools nearly always have strong cricket support within them but there is nowhere near the support within the State school system.

The same applies to afl, except for the State schools where it still has a very strong support base.

Football still struggles to be recognised as a priority sport at the same level as afl and cricket in most of the school systems.

_________________
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group