Goal Nets....Are they really a requirement?

This forum is for the discussion of other football topics including Futsal, Indoor Soccer, 7-a-side, Referees and Rules of the Game

Moderator: Forum Admins

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Goal Nets....Are they really a requirement?

Post by kramerica »

Was reading 2010 rule book and it says the following in LAW 1-THE FIELD OF PLAY:

"Corner flags....... must be placed at each corner" (requirement)

"Flagposts may.......at each end of the halfway line" (not a requirement)

"Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal, provided that they are properly supported and do not interfere with the goalkeeper."

Even though, I have never seen an official game, without Nets on the goals, by the LOTG, a game should and can be played without goal nets!

My next question is, why then does the referee when inspecting the pitch (in amateurs), ask the nets to be completely sealed at the bottom, providing that they are fixed properly and are not dangerous (two pegs, one for each corner) should be sufficient?

I am interested in peoples thoughts on this one, and hopefully it has not been posted before.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Goal Nets....Are they really a requirement?

Post by Bomber »

It has been mentioned before and I think swanny hit the nail on the head when he suggested that FIFA make laws to cater for all countries/conditions etc - some of the poorer nations they play on dust bowls and may not necessarily have the proper equipment or afford decent nets.
Ignore this signature

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

dont need nets but they definitely make it a hell of a lot easier to tell if the ball went in (assuming the nets are hooked on to the posts properly :P )

I remember playing junior games for primary school and there werent any nets

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Power04 wrote:My next question is, why then does the referee when inspecting the pitch (in amateurs), ask the nets to be completely sealed at the bottom, providing that they are fixed properly and are not dangerous (two pegs, one for each corner) should be sufficient?
Because of this:
Power04 wrote: "Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal, provided that they are properly supported and do not interfere with the goalkeeper."

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

Bacon888 wrote:
Power04 wrote:My next question is, why then does the referee when inspecting the pitch (in amateurs), ask the nets to be completely sealed at the bottom, providing that they are fixed properly and are not dangerous (two pegs, one for each corner) should be sufficient?
Because of this:
Power04 wrote: "Nets may be attached to the goals and the ground behind the goal, provided that they are properly supported and do not interfere with the goalkeeper."
Read my post again, assuming they are supported well, why do referees insist to peg the net down to the ground all the way around. I am guessing pegs don't support the net, just stop ball coming out of the net.

I remember referees in the past isisting that the nets be pegged completly, before the game could start.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

If not pegged down properly could be potentially dangerous.
Ignore this signature

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Corner flags are the only requirement to start a match. Amusingly, a referee at a recent match OISC were involved in started the match without them.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Kitchimo wrote:Corner flags are the only requirement to start a match. Amusingly, a referee at a recent match OISC were involved in started the match without them.
Surely two teams, a ball, a pitch with line marking would be of value too? :wink:
Ignore this signature

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

Bomber wrote:If not pegged down properly could be potentially dangerous.
Lets say its fixed to the goal posts and you peg it in the two far corners. This seems relatively safe to me, what would not be safe about that.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Power04 wrote:
Lets say its fixed to the goal posts and you peg it in the two far corners. This seems relatively safe to me, what would not be safe about that.
What I meant was not sticking out of the turf (ie metal pegs not hammered in all the way). Regarding just a couple pegs in each corner, it sort of defeats the purpose somewhat. If you are going to have nets, have them them used to full effect (ie not flimsily hanging there in some parts). Just common sense.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Power04 wrote:
What I meant was not sticking out of the turf (ie metal pegs not hammered in all the way). Regarding just a couple pegs in each corner, it sort of defeats the purpose somewhat. If you are going to have nets, have them them used to full effect (ie not flimsily hanging there in some parts). Just common sense.
You're going to get a bad rep on here if you keep on using that 'common sense' thing :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Evergreen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Evergreen »

Bomber wrote:It has been mentioned before and I think swanny hit the nail on the head when he suggested that FIFA make laws to cater for all countries/conditions etc - some of the poorer nations they play on dust bowls and may not necessarily have the proper equipment or afford decent nets.
It was Bodø.
Nothing ever lasts for ever

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Evergreen wrote:
Bomber wrote:It has been mentioned before and I think swanny hit the nail on the head when he suggested that FIFA make laws to cater for all countries/conditions etc - some of the poorer nations they play on dust bowls and may not necessarily have the proper equipment or afford decent nets.
It was Bodø.
I do a lot of home handyman work around home and I often hit the nail on the head...but in this instance I had neither the hammer or the nail !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
It was [url=http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... 44#p763344]Bodø[/url].
I do a lot of home handyman work around home and I often hit the nail on the head...but in this instance I had neither the hammer or the nail !

That's why I said "I think" not "it was." :wink:
Ignore this signature

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

It is my understanding,that according to the laws of the game,nets are not compulsory. If an official referee rocks up to do a game,he will not postpone the game because it has no nets. I think you will find that it is usually the Associations that are suppose to enforce that the ruling that a club must have nets.
The side of the goal nets need to be pegged down properly,i have seen more then once where a goal has been scored when the ball has gone along the ground past the outside of the post,and underneath the side of the net,and a goal has been awarded.
I am sure we have all seen some "unusual ways " of " securing" the net,including using long metal bars at the back of the net.
One match official many years ago,wanted us to pull the pegs out,and turn them around the other way,so they are knocked into the ground outside the net,not inside like everybody ? does. We pretended that they were too hard to pull out,referee said dont worry about it , as we were going to be late kicking off.
He wasnt too impressed when at the end of the game and all of a sudden and the pegs were very easy to pull out...oops.

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

The General wrote:It is my understanding,that according to the laws of the game,nets are not compulsory. If an official referee rocks up to do a game,he will not postpone the game because it has no nets. I think you will find that it is usually the Associations that are suppose to enforce that the ruling that a club must have nets.
The side of the goal nets need to be pegged down properly,i have seen more then once where a goal has been scored when the ball has gone along the ground past the outside of the post,and underneath the side of the net,and a goal has been awarded.
I am sure we have all seen some "unusual ways " of " securing" the net,including using long metal bars at the back of the net.
One match official many years ago,wanted us to pull the pegs out,and turn them around the other way,so they are knocked into the ground outside the net,not inside like everybody ? does. We pretended that they were too hard to pull out,referee said dont worry about it , as we were going to be late kicking off.
He wasnt too impressed when at the end of the game and all of a sudden and the pegs were very easy to pull out...oops.
:lol: :lol:

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

So if you have nets securly and safely fixed to the goals, then they have to be pegged, so that the ball cannot pass through it either from the outside or the inside?

Does it say that in the LOTG?

I think that there might be an addendum in the future LOTG.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

I'm pretty sure it says this in the SAASL League Rules actually.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

kiddyball
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by kiddyball »

sure goal nets might not be compulsory, but can you imagine playing without them in an official game? it would be weird coz were not used to it. you know what i mean?

Dr Feelgood
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Dr Feelgood »

The General wrote:The side of the goal nets need to be pegged down properly,i have seen more then once where a goal has been scored when the ball has gone along the ground past the outside of the post,and underneath the side of the net,and a goal has been awarded.
Metrostars vs Enfield City U11s, April 2006 - a game that will go down in infamy :lol:

It's not that I'm old - your music really does SUCK