Socceroos plummet to lowest ever world ranking - 94

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Socceroos plummet to lowest ever world ranking - 94

Post by Prestoz »

People should remember/understand that back in the 80s, only 4 or 5 Aussie players were in Europe. Only Craig Johnston (who opted for England anyway) Eddie Krncevic, Mark Bosnich and a few others. At that time the NSL had ALL Australian players at home and also had numerous quality imports from Europe - Crino, Bosinovski, Odzarkov et al. The NSL was at that time very competitive and it was in this context that the golden generation developed. Does this mean the ethnic clubs created better youth players? Maybe. But I would argue that it was not the ethnicity of the clubs per se but the quality and competitiveness of the NSL at that time. Now we have the top 100 playing overseas but they're not even at top clubs but at mediocre clubs overseas and we are #94. I say that if these 100 players played in the HAL it would exponentially increase the quality of our youth players again. FFA has to find a way to get more corporate $ in the game and keep all but the top 10 Aussie footballers in the HAL.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Socceroos plummet to lowest ever world ranking - 94

Post by Socca »

Bosnich played in Europe in the 80s ? His balls hadn't even dropped then

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

So much spent on "dutch system", then "tika-taka" was all the rage. How about getting back to basics and the "Aussie system" and play with heart and just good old fashioned common sense.
Ignore this signature

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

Over the last 4 years the Aussies have played limited competitive ranking matches due to the Asian cup. The Aussies will be back around 40-50 after the Asian cup if they win the tournament. The Aussies problem is they have played a lot of friendlies against top nations, while be shut out of Asian Cup qualification rounds.

Spammer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Spammer »

Googes wrote:Over the last 4 years the Aussies have played limited competitive ranking matches due to the Asian cup. The Aussies will be back around 40-50 after the Asian cup if they win the tournament. The Aussies problem is they have played a lot of friendlies against top nations, while be shut out of Asian Cup qualification rounds.
At least someone is thinking positive.

etpjk5424
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by etpjk5424 »

Googes wrote:Over the last 4 years the Aussies have played limited competitive ranking matches due to the Asian cup. The Aussies will be back around 40-50 after the Asian cup if they win the tournament. The Aussies problem is they have played a lot of friendlies against top nations, while be shut out of Asian Cup qualification rounds.

big IF

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:So much spent on "dutch system", then "tika-taka" was all the rage. How about getting back to basics and the "Aussie system" and play with heart and just good old fashioned common sense.
What is the Aussie system? Bang it in to Timmy and hope he does the rest?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Bomber wrote:So much spent on "dutch system", then "tika-taka" was all the rage. How about getting back to basics and the "Aussie system" and play with heart and just good old fashioned common sense.
that seems to be the system that Ange has implemented.

We don't seem to score many goals any other way that's for sure.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

We didnt play Asian Cup Qualifiers = we didnt gain a whole bunch of points from those matches. The maths is simple, wish the media would actually report properly. Look at Brazil before the World Cup, they dropped from #1 down to the 20s.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

That's why I would rather see Ange play him less. When they have a target man like Juric there is a lot more build up in the play.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote: What is the Aussie system? Bang it in to Timmy and hope he does the rest?

That's why I would rather see Ange play him less. When they have a target man like Juric there is a lot more build up in the play.
So you would rather that we score less goals?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

So you would rather that we score less goals?
No I would rather Ange work on his system properly instead of altering it to fit Cahill in. I understand we're in transition and Cahill is a best source of goals ATM so for the Asian Cup we should use him. But afterwards I would like to see Ange go with other players.

Geo217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Geo217 »

Was interesting to hear viduka comments and how quickly they tried to change the subject when he correctly mentioned the big disconnect between A league and grassroots compared to the old days where clubs in the Nsl had their own juniors and had a pathway to top flight football from within that club.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Geo217 wrote:Was interesting to hear viduka comments and how quickly they tried to change the subject when he correctly mentioned the big disconnect between A league and grassroots compared to the old days where clubs in the Nsl had their own juniors and had a pathway to top flight football from within that club.
Those same clubs are working to hinder the a-league clubs from creating those pathways.

Prestoz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Prestoz »

Socca wrote:Bosnich played in Europe in the 80s ? His balls hadn't even dropped then
Bozza was on Man United's books from 1988-91 - albeit that he only played 3 games and moved to Villa where he was for 7 years before he went back to United.

Geo217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Geo217 »

Black_Panther wrote:
Geo217 wrote:Was interesting to hear viduka comments and how quickly they tried to change the subject when he correctly mentioned the big disconnect between A league and grassroots compared to the old days where clubs in the Nsl had their own juniors and had a pathway to top flight football from within that club.
Those same clubs are working to hinder the a-league clubs from creating those pathways.
Those clubs should be fending for themselves, most npl clubs don't consider themselves feeder teams and have embraced the A league way of doing business by just poaching whoever they can and the same players being recycled every year, already this off season a bunch of queenslanders are moving to the npl Victoria.

It's simple the A league clubs need to create juniors instead of just expecting others to do the work.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Geo217 wrote:
It's simple the A league clubs need to create juniors instead of just expecting others to do the work.
Totally agree. Finally the FFA have stepped in and stopped clubs and local feds getting in the way of this.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Socca »

Prestoz wrote:
Socca wrote:Bosnich played in Europe in the 80s ? His balls hadn't even dropped then
Bozza was on Man United's books from 1988-91 - albeit that he only played 3 games and moved to Villa where he was for 7 years before he went back to United.
89-90

He was still at Syd Croatia in 88

So one year in Europe in 1989 playing 3 games is 'the 80s' ?

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Australia is now #102.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Rob Lozza wrote:Australia is now #102.
102 not out...aiming for a double century.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

General Tony Cash wrote:
May need to organize a friendly or two against Oceania countries again to get the confidence up.
Ignore this signature

robs2107
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by robs2107 »

Bomber wrote:
General Tony Cash wrote:
May need to organize a friendly or two against Oceania countries again to get the confidence up.
Only works if they win.
Ernie Merrick: Of course I am happy when my team scores a goal, it's just that sometimes I forget to tell my face. (On why Ernie doesn't smile on the sideline.)

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Does the ranking of 102 mean that players from Australia without European passports won't be able to get work permits to play in England?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:
General Tony Cash wrote:
Which just goes to show how pointless the rankings are and how little use there is in paying attention to them.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Friendlies against low ranked nations do very little for your ranking, win or not.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Build confidence first, then getback to playing better nations. Brazil used to do it well many years ago. Low on confidence, organize a friendly against Nicaragua or Haiti, smash them 7 or 8-nil and business as usual after a period when back to playing the big guns again. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Juventino wrote:Friendlies against low ranked nations do very little for your ranking, win or not.
They do more for Australia's ranking then making WC's though.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Black_Panther wrote:Does the ranking of 102 mean that players from Australia without European passports won't be able to get work permits to play in England?
Being in the Commonwealth would affect that.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Without playing a game, the Socceroos have risen two spots in football's world rankings to 100.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... d=trending

More evidence the World Rankings system is a big steaming pile of you know what.
According to this if Australia doesn't play a game for a few years we'll be a footballing super power for sure!

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Ange's plan is all coming to fruition, back in the top 100 and the tenth highest ranked Asian side.