Soccer in Queensland

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Fiasco
Squad Player
Squad Player

Soccer in Queensland

Post by Fiasco »

Does anyone know much about soccer in queensland?
About their equivalent of our super-league?? what is the standard like?
how about their lower divisions, like our prem and state league??
Is there much amateur competition?
Does someone play over there now, or have played?
ImageImage

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

The state league gets hilights broadcast on Bris31, the equivalent of channel 31 here (well they did in 1998). Having not seen the state league here I can't compare, but the level there isn't too bad.

devil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by devil »

I spent a couple of years up there,
The Brissy league is about the same standard as the Super League, most clubs are much bigger as they have pokies.

The Gold Coast League is about the standard of the Premier League, with clubs that have a similar set up to here.

Don't know about the rest of Qld.

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 50cent »

I moved back from Brissy earlier this year and was really impressed by the standard and professionalism up there. We were there for a season. My boy was involved with the Brisbane Wolves Youth Team (u/19) in their Premier League (top division). The emphasis is really on skill and the game appeared to be less physical than it can get down here. The standard of coaching was top notch and they really really preached discipline and good football. From what I observed, most other clubs were the same. I refereed some lower division matches too and was amazed when players called me "Sir". There is just about no backchat allowed and offenders are harshly dealt with. Having said that though, there were some pretty bad refs who need to be told. The bigger clubs do tend to have good facilities because of the pokies/bistros etc. but I thought there was a lack of passion and small crowds at a lot of the games as many of the clubs are just social clubs attached to the football and most members really only go there to drink, gamble and watch League on the big screen. There is only the one organisation overseeing the entire Brisbane football scene - Brisbane Men's Football - and it runs Premier League down to about Div 8. There is also a Womens Association and several Junior Associations defined by their geaography to the city (although these are also affiliated and have an overseeing body). When I left, the plan was to bring all of these groups in under the one umbrella. Brisbane Men's Football has clubs as far south as the Gold Coast (PalmBeach - one of the strongest in their PL) and almost as far north as the Sunshine Coast. There are also associations in just about all of the regional areas. It really is massive participation up there and was an eye opener. It was also far less ethnocentric. They do have their Greek, Italian, Croation etc. clubs but they appear to be far less obsessed with perpetuating the cultural aspects of their heritage and just getting on with being Queenslanders and playing football. Their Italian club had one of the trendiest bistros I've been to for ages operating on a match night and it was fantastic. Olympics BBQ Grill was a standout too. If you're heading up there you'll love it. Just enjoy passing the ball and not copping a rap on the ankles two secs later.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

50cent wrote:The bigger clubs do tend to have good facilities because of the pokies/bistros etc. but I thought there was a lack of passion and small crowds at a lot of the games as many of the clubs are just social clubs attached to the football and most members really only go there to drink, gamble and watch League on the big screen.
I noticed that with Capalaba, which was a stone's throw from my house. Many of the people there were there to play pokies and drink, and when I spoke to some of them about the game many had no idea.

Few clubs seemed to be run on ethnic lines as you said, as with with the respect towards officials. The down side was kick off times depended on the home side and could be from anywhere between friday evening and sunday evening, which makes it a bit hard to commit to.

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 50cent »

Yeah, you're right about the kick-off times. I reckon that was half the problem with getting decent crowds. Not knowing from one week to the next what day/time the teams will be playing made it hard. Also, the Reserves and 1st team might be Fri night and the youth team not until Sunday at 4.00. Lots of extra setting up for officials and no reason to just hang around after an earlier game to watch seniors. You must have been living quite close to me if Capalaba was nearby. We were living at Carindale. I thought Capalaba seemed like a friendly club and Redcliffe down the road seemed well organised too. Despite the Brisbane Wolves being a Premier League Club, they still seemed to struggle for volunteers and there was a hard core of half a dozen people doing all the work. In terms of kick off times and structure SA does seem to get some things right.

ManUtd23
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ManUtd23 »

I currently play up in North Queensland, league is a good standard. Seen a few teams from Brissie play and i think the standard there is better than back in Adelaide..
Football (and all local sports) is promoted very well up in Queensland, with alot of the local teams getting alot of publicity in the papers and on television. Every Monday/Tuesday night on Win TV (channel 9) they cover all local results, show highlights of games and interview players/coaches..
I think Queensland plays a more aggresive style of football based more on the attacking side of the game, i have noticed a lack of really good, strong, solid defenders (karlovic) in the local leagues..
senior Games are played in the evening, so the atmosphere is always good underlights, and you get a decent amount of people to the games. Every club has an "ethnic background" to it, but quite a few clubs have merged to make the leauge stronger, and taken alot of the bickering out of the comp. Still, alot of rivalries due to some clubs being able to splash the cash and attract the better players to their club..

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

50cent wrote:Yeah, you're right about the kick-off times. I reckon that was half the problem with getting decent crowds. Not knowing from one week to the next what day/time the teams will be playing made it hard. Also, the Reserves and 1st team might be Fri night and the youth team not until Sunday at 4.00. Lots of extra setting up for officials and no reason to just hang around after an earlier game to watch seniors. You must have been living quite close to me if Capalaba was nearby. We were living at Carindale. I thought Capalaba seemed like a friendly club and Redcliffe down the road seemed well organised too. Despite the Brisbane Wolves being a Premier League Club, they still seemed to struggle for volunteers and there was a hard core of half a dozen people doing all the work. In terms of kick off times and structure SA does seem to get some things right.
I lived in Capalaba, then moved to Carina so yeah that's really close.

As for kick off times, I think W.A. do it better than S.A. and you were more likely to get a referee, one thing amatuer clubs in Brisbane never had to worry about.
ManUtd23 wrote:I currently play up in North Queensland, league is a good standard. Seen a few teams from Brissie play and i think the standard there is better than back in Adelaide..
Football (and all local sports) is promoted very well up in Queensland, with alot of the local teams getting alot of publicity in the papers and on television. Every Monday/Tuesday night on Win TV (channel 9) they cover all local results, show highlights of games and interview players/coaches..
I think Queensland plays a more aggresive style of football based more on the attacking side of the game, i have noticed a lack of really good, strong, solid defenders (karlovic) in the local leagues..
senior Games are played in the evening, so the atmosphere is always good underlights, and you get a decent amount of people to the games. Every club has an "ethnic background" to it, but quite a few clubs have merged to make the leauge stronger, and taken alot of the bickering out of the comp. Still, alot of rivalries due to some clubs being able to splash the cash and attract the better players to their club..
Bris 31 used to have a weekly show when I was there and that was good to watch.

the lorax
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by the lorax »

any teams in need of a keeper up that way that any1 knows about.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

All the clubs are listed on this site, and many have email addresses, so you try sending an email and BCC all the clubs and see who responds

http://www.footballbrisbane.com.au/sas/ ... lclubs.asp

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

I know the Western Australian equivalent of this site used to have a link where players and coaches could list their services and club to did the same, but I have yout to find a Queensland site where you can do this. If I do I shall let you know.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

the lorax
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by the lorax »

Bodø Glimt wrote:All the clubs are listed on this site, and many have email addresses, so you try sending an email and BCC all the clubs and see who responds

http://www.footballbrisbane.com.au/sas/ ... lclubs.asp
cheers bodo will give it a shot. Appreciate your response

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Good luck... and if you find a club let me know where you end up

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Did you manage to find a club or at least get a response?

the lorax
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by the lorax »

Bodø Glimt wrote:Did you manage to find a club or at least get a response?
still weighing up my options and deciding whether staying in Melbourne, heading back home to SA or moving nth to Qld

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

its good

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Nice avatar!

pires7
Team Manager