Roma vs CHELSEA

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

chelsea91
Squad Player
Squad Player

Roma vs CHELSEA

Post by chelsea91 »

CL Preview: Roma - Chelsea
What: Champions League Group A, Matchday 4
Who: Roma (3rd, 3pts) v Chelsea (1st, 7pts)
When: Tuesday, 4th November, 2008 - 2045 (CET)
Where: Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Roma host Chelsea in the fourth matchday of the UEFA Champions League this week, in a crucial contest for both sides that will have a big say in the final standings of the group.

The Giallorossi will be desperate to come away with a result from this match, as they can ill afford to lose any further ground on the other two teams in the group, whilst the Blues will be keen to confirm their spot at the top of Group A with victory in Rome this week.

Is There Any Hope For Roma?

Roma have continued their dreadful start to the 2008/09 campaign in recent weeks, as they have dropped three places since these two sides last met. I Lupi are currently in 17th position, and with no real signs of improvement being shown by the Romans, one wonders how they will ever get their season back on track.

As previously mentioned, they are currently in the bottom four of the league, with just seven points to their name, from the opening 10 rounds of football. They do have a match in hand against Sampdoria, which was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch last week; however the Giallorossi would find themselves no higher than 15th, with victory in that match.

They are one point clear of the relegation zone at present, and are desperately in search of some answers in regards to why they are having such a miserable time this season. They once again have to square up against arguably one of the most in-form side in all of Europe in Chelsea, a side that will be confident of taking all three points away from this game.

It’s Roma’s first return to the Olimpico in this competition since the first match day, when they were absolutely humiliated by the Romanian debutants CFR Cluj, as they were defeated 2-1. It was a disastrous start to the competition, and since that performance, things have gone downhill for the capital club.

Spalletti’s men will certainly have to be at their best if they wish to take even a point from this contest, and will need to be firing from the word go. It certainly won’t be easy for a side that has scored just the once in five competitive matches, with that being a consolation penalty against Udinese to Francesco Totti.

The Giallorossi failed to score a single goal in the league throughout the month of October, and will definitely be hoping to put that form behind them, and start fresh in November, a month that they kicked off with a 2-0 defeat away to Juventus.

In addition to this, the Blues have a tremendous defensive record in this competition, as they have failed to concede a single goal thus far, making life for the Romans all the more difficult this week.

Spalletti’s men will undoubtedly be nervous heading into this contest, as another defeat could put their ambitions of progressing through the group stage of this competition in serious jeopardy. Along with this, the Italian club has lost five of their past six matches against English opposition, including their last three, in which they have coincidentally failed to score in.

It’s a crucial match for the Giallorossi in terms of their final position in the standings, as the result of the Bordeaux-Cluj match could make matters worse for their ambitions of qualifying, if they are to go down to Chelsea this week.

As was the case in the first leg, the capital club will go in search of a miracle to emerge victorious in this contest, especially considering their poor form of late, however a draw would be a respectable result from this match, so expect them to approach the clash as they did at Stamford Bridge.

Blues Keen To Confirm Top Spot

The English giants have been simply outstanding this season in all competitions, as they have recently reclaimed top spot in the Premier League, and are three points clear in Group A of the Champions League.

Despite slipping up against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge recently, Chelsea reaffirmed themselves as one of the top clubs in England, with a comprehensive 5-0 demolition of Sunderland at the weekend. In fact, 5-0 was the same score line that the Blues took into their previous encounter with the Giallorossi, following their triumph over Middlesbrough three weeks ago.

Their defensive record in the Premier League has been second to none, as they have conceded just four goals in eleven matches; an incredible record. As well as this, they are one of just two teams who remain undefeated and without a goal conceded in this continental competition.

Scolari’s men have had their problems this season however, mainly on the injury front, with knocks to key players throughout the campaign. Just to name a few, the likes of Deco, Didier Drogba, Petr Cech, Michael Ballack and Michael Essien have all spent significant time on the sidelines, and have just, or will soon make a return to the squad – or in Essien’s case, require up to another six months out on the sidelines.

The English giants have been brilliant nonetheless, and still have managed to play the football required to lead the way in the Premier League and their group in the Champions League, which many expected to be the case anyway. Credit should be given to Luiz Felipe Scolari, who in his first year as coach of Chelsea has been phenomenal for the club.

In the Champions League, they have played just the one game on the road to date, and that was away to CFR Cluj in Romania, a match that ended 0-0. That result proved to be an extremely disappointing outcome for the Blues, who will be desperate to make amends for a poor showing on the road this week in Rome.

As was the case in their previous meeting, the facts and figures generally point towards a Chelsea victory at the Olimpico, as along with their great recent record in the Champions League; the club has lost just the one match in their past 24 outings in all competitions – with that being the recent defeat against Liverpool.

Scolari has such a strong squad at his disposal, and this is proven by their great run of results this season, despite the injuries they have had to deal with along the way. There are some fresh injury concerns in the Chelsea camp; however the London based club will remain confident of taking all three points home with them from this contest.

They will be desperate to win this encounter, as a vital three points on the road in Rome, will go a long way to consolidating their position at the top of Group A. If they do win, they will have 10 points from four matches, making top spot in the group a certainty, if it already isn’t...

FORM GUIDE

Roma

November 1 v Juventus (H) LOST 0-2

October 26 v Udinese (H) LOST 1-3

October 22 v Chelsea (A) LOST 0-1 (Champions League)

October 19 v Inter (H) LOST 0-4

October 5 v Siena (A) LOST 0-1

Chelsea

November 1 v Sunderland (H) WON 5-0

October 29 v Hull City (A) WON 3-0

October 26 v Liverpool (H) LOST 0-1

October 22 v Roma (H) WON 1-0 (Champions League)

October 18 v Middlesbrough (A) WON 5-0

TEAM NEWS

Roma:

The major injury concern for the Giallorossi concerns the fitness of Francesco Totti, who was forced to miss the Juventus match a few days ago, with a recurrence of pain in his injured knee. Il Capitano faces a race against time to be fit for this contest; however the early reports suggest that he will be utilized at some stage of the match.

Meanwhile, Marco Cassetti is certain to miss once again, as he continues to struggle to recover from a thigh injury, as is the case for Alberto Aquilani, who will miss another week also due to a thigh injury. Julio Baptista made a successful return to the starting line-up against Juve, and may be used from the start once again this week.

Possible Starting XI: (4-2-3-1) – Doni; Panucci, Juan, Mexes, Riise; De Rossi, Pizarro; Perrotta, Baptista, Vucinic; Totti

Chelsea:

The news off the field for the Blues continues to take a turn for the worse, as Ashley Cole has become the latest casualty for Scolari’s team. According to the latest reports from the Chelsea training ground, Cole picked up a calf strain in the side’s 5-0 win at home against Sunderland on the weekend, and is in serious doubt to take any part in Rome this week.

In addition to this, Chelsea has been rocked by the news that Michael Essien will require another six months on the sidelines, meaning that his season could be all but over, due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury in his knee. He is joined on the sidelines by Michael Ballack, who is out with a foot injury, Joe Cole, who is doubtful with an ankle injury, and also Ricardo Carvalho, who recently returned from a knee injury of his own, only to strain his hamstring in his first match back against Hull City, meaning that he will be out of action for the next three weeks.

Possible Starting XI: (4-4-2) – Cech; Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Bridge; Mikel, Deco, Lampard, Malouda; Drogba, Anelka

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Roma – Daniele De Rossi: The talented Roman midfielder was the only shining light in his side’s disappointing 2-0 defeat in Turin at the weekend. Obviously if the Giallorossi are to have any luck this week against Chelsea, then De Rossi must be supported by his team mates, however he will certainly need to be at his absolute best if this is to be the case. He will be responsible for anchoring the Roman midfield, as well as working hard at both ends of the park, and so his performance will be absolutely critical to the final result on the night.

Chelsea – Nicolas Anelka: The French striker continued his brilliant run of form this season, with a well deserved hat-trick against Sunderland at the weekend. He now has eight goals to his name for the Premier League season, which is not a bad effort in eleven matches. He leads the way in the Premier League scoring charts, alongside Zaki of Wigan, and so he will be keen to continue this form in the Champions League, whilst making a name for himself on the big stage in the process.

PREDICTION

It should be an entertaining battle in Rome this week between two sides desperate for victory, for differing reasons. Roma have it all to play for, as their sixth successive defeat in all competitions will put their ambitions to qualify through the group stage of this competition in serious doubt, and also the future of coach Luciano Spalletti, which will be in hot water if a positive result is not the outcome.

A draw wouldn’t be a bad result for either side, as a point in Rome for Chelsea should still be enough for them to guarantee themselves top spot in the group, with a home fixture against Cluj and a trip to Bordeaux still to come.

It will be a tight affair, solely due to the fact that Roma will play for a draw in this match, as they did in London, and so I’m going to tip the result to be a scoreless, but action packed draw at the Stadio Olimpico.

Roma 0-0 Chelsea

chelsea91
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Roma vs CHELSEA

Post by chelsea91 »

Chelsea to win 1-0 again

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Roma's fans are starting to get 'angry' bout time the team showed a bit more heart

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Roma 1-4 Chelsea

Deco 2, Anelka, Lampard / Bosingwa own goal for Roma

if I'm right, the first person to reply after this post owes me $200

Unknown
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Unknown »

i reckon another smashing by chelsea 4-0
"Fucken Whip It!"

Unknown
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Unknown »

so it on :)
"Fucken Whip It!"

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Chelsea 2-0

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

come on chelski !!

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

forza roma

1-0 roma

a1079978
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by a1079978 »

Roma will win this one 2-1 in front of 60 000 nut cases. Too much to lose and i feel this Roma side will perform well with their backs up against the wall. Forza Roma

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

what the security situation. Hit an englishman with a baton?

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

60,000 nutcases?? you're having a laugh. How are Roma, who are 17th and pissed off their tifosi to the max, gonna pull 60k on a Tuesday night??? Italians have a notoriously poor record at turning up to midweek CL games. Although given the low level of employment amongst the romanista faithful, maybe there will be 60k.

I could be wrong, but I'd say there will be just over 40k nutcases.

Chelsea hardcores, (real fans you know, not the internet fans like we have here), have a "friendship" with Lazio. There is always a Chelsea flag present in the Curva Nord on matchday, so dont know whether to expect trouble, but its a possibility.

there is no love for the english in Italy, and the city of Rome has been warned by UEFA that it could have the CL final stripped if there are any outbreaks. To the ultras, this is no real deterrent at all, because having the final at the Olimpico means nothing to them.

trouble?? I'd say there will be.
Forza Roma??? ma vaffanculo

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

why is chelsea in capitals? i have a feeling that roma will get something here. far too much to lose from this and infront of angry fans they will win 2-1. later winner to be scored

Heaven Up Here
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Heaven Up Here »

totsreds08 wrote:why is chelsea in capitals?
thought same thing as both chelsea and roma play in the capital
Set sails in those turquoise days

hellas_08
Star Player
Star Player

Post by hellas_08 »

1-0 roma

34" panucci

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

3-0 ROMA!!!

Panucci
Vucinic x2

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sweeps »

redders wrote:3-0 ROMA!!!

Panucci
Vucinic x2

:x
The Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and the point of exhaustion, when no one else is around!

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

:wink:

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

3-1

Panucci
Vucinic x2

Terry
Deco - Red Card

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Vucinic gun player!

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

I just read that Deco recieved a second yellow and got sent off for trying to take a free kick to quickly.
WTF abit harsh

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sweeps »

BAGGIO 15 wrote:I just read that Deco recieved a second yellow and got sent off for trying to take a free kick to quickly.
WTF abit harsh
Shocking decision!!!!
The Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and the point of exhaustion, when no one else is around!

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

pires7 wrote:Vucinic gun player!

been silent against manutd last season :wink:

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

WTF???
Roma beat Chelski, Anorthosis almost beat Inter.
what a morning of Champions League!

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

btw should add that after those 5 or 6 straight losses, Spalletti finally changed his system and I guess it paid off.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

watch in january, Vucinic to chelsea, they do need another striker
ImageImage

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

forza romale

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

first of all, I'm a Chelsea fan - but seriously... where are all those grenache who claimed Spuds proved the superiority of the EPL by thrashing Roma in pre-season?

Tonight, Roma (17th in Serie A) just beat Chelsea (1st in EPL)....so i guess their argument goes down the drain...

well, I said it yesterday... a mate was about to chuck Chelsea in a multi-bet and I made sure he didnt... this pisses me off, I was waiting for a big Roma performance... but i didn't want it now... they'll start to climb the table if Totti remains half-fit...and they may well still be in the last 16 of the UCL, so it may not be a complete waste of the season just yet for Romerda
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

adriano10 wrote:first of all, I'm a Chelsea fan - but seriously... where are all those grenache who claimed Spuds proved the superiority of the EPL by thrashing Roma in pre-season?

Tonight, Roma (17th in Serie A) just beat Chelsea (1st in EPL)....so i guess their argument goes down the drain...

well, I said it yesterday... a mate was about to chuck Chelsea in a multi-bet and I made sure he didnt... this pisses me off, I was waiting for a big Roma performance... but i didn't want it now... they'll start to climb the table if Totti remains half-fit...and they may well still be in the last 16 of the UCL, so it may not be a complete waste of the season just yet for Romerda
love it, chelski could still not make it :P hahaha

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Thinking about it, I'm slightly glad they won.

If anything, it means we dont have to face a Roma side that has 2 months of pain bottled up in the derby.
adriano10 wrote:Tonight, Roma (17th in Serie A) just beat Chelsea (1st in EPL)....so i guess their argument goes down the drain...
there is no argument. You can't compare leagues this way. If you could, then one could make a claim for the Cypriot league to be the best in the world. Just doesn't work out.

One thing's for sure (IMO). There will be 4 EPL clubs in the knockout phase, but there probably won't be 4 Italian clubs.

A shame, but that's what not having a top 4 does. Napoli, Milan, Lazio and Udinese, could all make claims to be better than Roma and Fiorentina, currently competing.

Its an argument that leads to no conclusions.