Maicon - World's best fullback

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Maicon - World's best fullback

Post by Piola »

Go on Maicon

Douglas Maicon was again on target for Inter at the weekend. Scott Fleming hails the best full-back in world football

The summer of 2006 was perhaps the most tumultuous and notorious in the history of calcio, for reasons I need not delve into here. On the transfer front the big news centred on the defection of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Patrick Vieira from Juventus to arch rivals Inter. With that in mind, few noticed Douglas Maicon shuffle through the doors of Appiano Gentile.

A young, unheralded Brazilian full-back, the common consensus was that Roberto Mancini had recruited the former Monaco man as back-up for the incumbent right-back, captain and symbol of the side, Javier Zanetti.

Just over two years later Maicon now stands as the greatest player in the position in world football. Obviously rivals for this accolade could be sought and found, not least in the shape of Spain’s Sergio Ramos.

Nevertheless, it is sheer folly to deny the remarkable ability the Brazilian is displaying each and every matchday. Is there any other defender in top-level football at present that plays such an integral part in his side’s attacking efforts?

Maicon is lightning fast, powerful, creative and an accomplished finisher to boot. From his debut season he has been immense, but this year has truly peaked under the tutelage of Jose Mourinho.

In a recent swipe at Inter, Juventus centre-back Giorgio Chiellini branded the Nerazzurri as over reliant on certain players. There was no mention, however, of striking stars like Adriano or influential midfielders such as Esteban Cambiasso. Instead the Italian international picked out Maicon, alongside Ibrahimovic, as those the champions depend on for success.

In addition the 27-year-old is firmly established as first choice on the right side of Brazil’s defence, a nation which has hardly struggled in bringing through famous flying full-backs.

It is in teammate Zanetti’s situation that Maicon’s talent is demonstrated beyond doubt though. Has the Argentine genuinely been manoeuvred into midfield because of his ball playing abilities? Or is the captain’s presence in the centre of the field simply a compromise, designed not to upset such an important figure as Zanetti, when his worth to the team has been surpassed by the boy from Brazil?

You can make up your own mind, but I know what I think.
This guy is absolute world class. One of the most underrated players in world football.

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Maicon - World's best fullback

Post by adriano10 »

i may be a biased interista, but i've been telling people this for the last year, this guy is the world's best right back... there isn't a better full back in the world imo..
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

adriano10 wrote:i may be a biased interista, but i've been telling people this for the last year, this guy is the world's best right back... there isn't a better full back in the world imo..
as an unbiased laziale, I agree with you :lol:

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

Laziale wrote:
adriano10 wrote:i may be a biased interista, but i've been telling people this for the last year, this guy is the world's best right back... there isn't a better full back in the world imo..
as an unbiased laziale, I agree with you :lol:
goooooooooooooooooooooood :D

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

As a very anti-Inter Juventino I also agree he is the best.

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

corntwaite any day

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Who else could claim the title? Makes sense to find out he is from Brasil, quality with the ball at his feet, strong, fast and skillful from what I have seen lately.

Alves
Rafinha
Sanga
Bosingwa

Others who play well there but out of position
Hargreves
Sergio Ramos - what a gun!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

And he is good defensively as well, which I find more important than the ability to attack.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

of course if he played for Man United or Liverpool, he'd be hailed as the greatest player in the world.

Someone who can defend, then put on a burst of pace, use trickery to beat 2 or 3 players and then unload a 30m bomb into the top corner.

Ramos has nothing on Maicon.

GiveNgog
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by GiveNgog »

Arbeloa is the best fullback in the world................ :wink:

LOL I like Arbeloa a lot, but theres no way I could say that seriously.
Maicon is pretty damn talented, not sure about best fullback in the world though..

sweeps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sweeps »

Agreed!
The Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, and the point of exhaustion, when no one else is around!

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Dani Alves > Maicon.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

Kitchimo wrote:Dani Alves > Maicon.
there's a reason Maicon is Brazil's starting RB, because he's better than Alves...Alves is shifted to accomodate Maicon

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

Just what I like to read.
Lazio defender Stephan Lichtsteiner discussed Lazio's credentials for this season and revealed who he believes are the best players in his right-back position...

Swiss international Stephen Lichtsteiner has certainly been one of the buys of the season so far in Serie A, as he continues to perform well for his club side Lazio.

Lazio started the season firing on all cylinders, but since then have slowed down a bit and Lichtsteiner spoke about what he believes the Biancocelesti are capable of.

"The Scudetto would be the maximum achievement," said the 24-year-old. "It is extremely difficult to compete with the bigger teams, at the very least we need to get into the UEFA Cup."

Lichtsteiner has been a solid performer in the right-back position for Lazio and revealed who he believes are the best players in that position in the modern game.

"Dani Alves (Barcelona) and Maicon (Inter) are the best in my role," claimed the former Lille defender. "They are held in high esteem and have inspired me to improve my game."

Lichtsteiner will likely be in the starting line-up when Lazio host Siena at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday afternoon.
Lichti is one of the finds of the season Europe-wide. Easily better than Valon Behrami, can defend, make surging runs and is a consistent performer. Hasn't had a bad game yet.

The Waterboy
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Waterboy »

pires7 wrote:Who else could claim the title? Makes sense to find out he is from Brasil, quality with the ball at his feet, strong, fast and skillful from what I have seen lately.

Alves
Rafinha
Sanga
Bosingwa

Hargreves

pires7 i think you have missed out a quality fullback in Patrice Evra
week in week out he peforms well.

Now that's what I call high quality H2O.

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

The Waterboy wrote:
pires7 wrote:Who else could claim the title? Makes sense to find out he is from Brasil, quality with the ball at his feet, strong, fast and skillful from what I have seen lately.

Alves
Rafinha
Sanga
Bosingwa

Hargreves

pires7 i think you have missed out a quality fullback in Patrice Evra
week in week out he peforms well.
didn't know that evra was a Right Back??
Sejad Salihovic!!

Salpigidis
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Salpigidis »

Pablo Contreras :wink:

ForzaChievo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by ForzaChievo »

Marco Malago.

reggina
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reggina »

The thing with Maicon is who ever heard of him whilst he was at Monaco??? Inter paid 40 euro's for him .... :wink:

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

reggina wrote:The thing with Maicon is who ever heard of him whilst he was at Monaco??? Inter paid 40 euro's for him .... :wink:
someone dropped him off at the club doorsteps, no one cared who he was (i'll admit to being one of many who was worried about what Ibra and Vieira would do)... but he's done well...love the guy

Ripper
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ripper »

Micah Richards?
more of a CB? i have seen him play RWB though.
Ohhh, I tell you what, that was an absolute RIPPPPEERRRR!!!!