Group D: Greece v Sweden

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Group D: Greece v Sweden

Post by King Ledley »

Red Soldier wrote:
King Ledley wrote:
Red Soldier wrote:pathetic kolopaida :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :(
odjebi budalo jedno
Who the shiraz are you calling an ape
LOL not even close
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

medallion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by medallion »

They say history has a habit of repeating itself. So based on this i think you'll find that last time Greece qaulified with a first up win against portugal, a draw against Spain and a loss to Russia. They've got their loss, they'll draw with Spain and they'll beat Russia, to go through. They must lift their game and get a lot more competitive in the midfield, to place pressure on their opponents. Something they didn't do enough of last night and was a featureof their game last tournament. I think you'll find Amanatidis will start next game, and Antzas will be dropped to compensate. That guy was useless.

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

Kyriakos is at fault for the first goal. His job for the night was to look after Zlatan Im. and on that throw in you see he has given him 5 yards and then we he received the ball he still didnt close him which allowed hiom to turn and play that one two with Larson and then take a wonderful shot past the terrible Nicopolidis.

I also think the Greek goalkeeper should have caught the ball rather than fist it away in the lead up to the second goal. From his punch that was semi cleared the Swedes then went forward no one pick up Freddie L was shot was blocked then Kyriakos played for a foul instead of trying to win the ball and copped it. Im getting flash backs of USA 94. I hope this isnt the case but a loss to Russia and I think Spain will spank us for 6. I know a loss to Russia and were out but we need some pride cant do well in one tournament and thats it.

I would like to see Karagounis back in the middle not out wide and he def needs a change in formation. Gekas didnt get the ball so I dont know why he had a bad night, you dont have much chance against 4 defenders and the ball is pelted at you in the air and your no taller than 5 foot ten!

Hillsfootball
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hillsfootball »

I am surprised by the arrogance of some of you in the first few pages of this forum. 3-0, 4-1, 2-1 for Greece and so on. Sweden has always been a decent team and thinking to trash them like some of you did, demonstrate pure arrogance.
You should forget about four years ago and focus on current form.
If you continue to play that brand of "Anti football" like that, you may not even get a point out of your group.
Do not expect any favour from Russia and Spain.

joker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by joker »

no easy teams for sure, even if greece played with 2004 form still would have been struggle.

bradley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by bradley »

King Ledley wrote:Well done Greece, congrats Sweden....what a strike by Zlatan Ibrahimovic :shock:
Turkey lose to Portugal 2-0 and you guys are bagging them now you guys lost to a weaker opponent in Sweden by the same scoreline....you've done well
Your not turkish. Greece pounded you 4-0.

TM87
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by TM87 »

skliro wrote:
King Ledley wrote:Well done Greece, congrats Sweden....what a strike by Zlatan Ibrahimovic :shock:
Turkey lose to Portugal 2-0 and you guys are bagging them now you guys lost to a weaker opponent in Sweden by the same scoreline....you've done well
YEA POUNDED a C TEAM.No where near full strength in that game never lost at that venue until then.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

Interesting stat: The two host nations, the current holders and the World Cup winners all lost their opening game.

bradley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by bradley »

k-man wrote:
skliro wrote:
YEA POUNDED a C TEAM.No where near full strength in that game never lost at that venue until then.
We finished 18 points above you. We beat you home and away. Any 'low punches' you throw against greece on this board holds no credibility.

candyman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by candyman »

I was just reading one of the Greek papers while
i was having a cup of coffee,in the Sport section
was an article on this mornings game between Greece
and Sweden.
The Greek government has offered the Greek National Soccer Team
a KOMBOLOI if they make the final,and a TAVLI SET if they win EURO.
I wish i was in the national team with incentive like that.
AND REMEMBER IF ANYONE CAN-THE CANDYMAN CAN

Robbie Williams
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Robbie Williams »

candyman wrote:I was just reading one of the Greek papers while
i was having a cup of coffee,in the Sport section
was an article on this mornings game between Greece
and Sweden.
The Greek government has offered the Greek National Soccer Team
a KOMBOLOI if they make the final,and a TAVLI SET if they win EURO.
I wish i was in the national team with incentive like that.
You are an :oops: to the greek community.
LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU.

West Adelaide Hellas SC

National Soccer League Champions 1978

username
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by username »

you all have to understand a few things. Greece had the best record in qualifying going into this tournament. They are the current holders trying to defend their title which noone has successfully done before. They are not in any position to surprise as that element has gone since 2004. If sweden played greece in 04, they would not have implemented the 'flood' so to speak in the first half beating greece at its own game.

I for one am truly angry we lost, we played cabernet. But think about this, greece out of all the teams in this tournament i feel posess the greatest fear of failure, being the defending champions and this presure alone makes players and coaches do strange things. Greece has gone above and beyond in the last 5 years and one could say reached its PEAK as a footballing nation, so the fear of failure has a huge mindset within the team! You could see this in the first half where they lacked that creativity to go forward and looked very very cautious in everything they did, right down to booting the ball out of defense unnecessarily just to prevent any chance of a swedish attack.

if greece do not make it passed the group stage, every greek will be dissapointed but you must factor in, we didnt go into this tournament with nothing to lose like last time, but instead went in with all eyes upon us just to see how we would perform.

having said all that, rehaggel must change his tactics to produce a slightly more attacking team but not go overboard as defense is our strong point. Rehaggel i think was fielding a side which was happy to get a draw and simply play very limited counter attack to maybe grab that odd goal as we play russia next and had we drawn against sweden, a russia win would have put us on 4 points with sweden most likely to lose against spain meaning that on the final day of games, greece would play spain going in on 4 points with russia playing sweden with sweden going in on 1 point putting us a likely chance. This theory is now out the window and we must beat russia and hope for spain and russia to beat sweden to sneak us through, providing we at least get a draw against spain. It is an uphill battle, as long as greece fight to the death with positive play, i think most will be satisfied with that, after the poor display against sweden.

i personally think the second goal was a free kick for greece as the swedish player elevated himself onto the greek defender and made no contact until the ball fell down.

imo, i knew nikopolidis would be greece weakest link, and this was evident from the start when he chose to come out hesitantly putting us in danger. the old fart cannot jump, simple. He is a great shot blocker but, corner kicks, long balls and through balls kill him every time. We almost conceded 2 goals from lob shots, 1 from ibrahimovic in first half and 1 in the second half when he came rushing to the edge of the 18 yard box like a nice person when he was never going to get to it. Even the second goal we conceded, im sure if we had a younger more vibrant goalkeeper, he would have attempted to punch that ball floating in the air instead of rely on his defenders to clear it off the line in that position. He made a great effort to stop the close range shot by ljungberg but once again, the old fart had no spring in his step to jump. MAybe rehaggel knows this, hence his decision to play with 5 in defense and protect nikopolidis as much as possible. Ibrahimovic second goal was classy but if nikopolidis was centered more in his goal area, he would have most likely deflected that ball away. As the ball was struck, nikopolidis was napping more to the left of his goal mouth. Initially, greece fell asleep on the throw in anyway with ibrahimovic able to quickly turn and play a 1-2 combo. Sometimes that all it takes ina sloppy defensive game like this. One moment of brilliance. Greece fell apart after that!

lastly, the idiot who compared our 2-0 loss to sweden with turkey's 2-0 loss to portugal has no soccer brain whatsoever!!!!!! i wont even attempt to explain why that is plainly retarded!
Last edited by username on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TM87
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by TM87 »

We finished 18 points above you. We beat you home and away. Any 'low punches' you throw against greece on this board holds no credibility.[/quote]

Yea like my stats? Remind me what all you Greeks said how you will thump Sweden LOL. As i said before enjoy yor three games. Sorry two left.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

skliro wrote:
skliro, he is not Turkish, far from it!!! Actually, I don't think he knows what he is :wink: :shock:
STAY ON YOUR FEET

ronnie.Milan
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ronnie.Milan »

The Greeks wouldn't present in midfield too old, too slow hey had a great chance at 0-0 to go 1 up but Karagounis failed then it all went down hill from there you only get once chance the way Greece play and you have to take it.Also Antzas and Torosidis are worst excuse for a player I've ever seen.

username
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by username »

k-man. STFU. I dont know if your bosnian or what, if that is the case, go over to http://www.bosnia-isn't-in-the-euro-lets-all-play-with-our-c-o-c-k.com to spin your cabernet. Your own blood chooses to play for an alternative nation. At least greece fields an all greek side, the same cannot be said for many other european nations!

Also learn how to correctly quote somebody elses posts you incompetent nice person!

Mr.G
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Mr.G »

username wrote:http://www.bosnia-isn't-in-the-euro-lets-all-play-with-our-c-o-c-k.com
I tried to get into this website too :(

joker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by joker »

At least greece fields an all greek side, the same cannot be said for many other european nations!
:roll:
+ german coach :D

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Mr.G wrote:
username wrote:http://www.bosnia-isn't-in-the-euro-lets-all-play-with-our-c-o-c-k.com
I tried to get into this website too :(
How many websites have apostrophés? :D

username
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by username »

hahaha, i thought i would make it easier for the stupid bosnian to read, considering he doesnt even know how to use the simple "quote" feature which is common on all forums.

TM87
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by TM87 »

username wrote:k-man. STFU. I dont know if your bosnian or what, if that is the case, go over to http://www.bosnia-isn't-in-the-euro-lets-all-play-with-our-c-o-c-k.com to spin your cabernet. Your own blood chooses to play for an alternative nation. At least greece fields an all greek side, the same cannot be said for many other european nations!

Also learn how to correctly quote somebody elses posts you incompetent nice person!
Have another :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: All i ever stated was stats and you take it to another level.Greeks arnt that bad. Your just a total wank.

TM87
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by TM87 »

username wrote:you all have to understand a few things. Greece had the best record in qualifying going into this tournament. They are the current holders trying to defend their title which noone has successfully done before. They are not in any position to surprise as that element has gone since 2004. If sweden played greece in 04, they would not have implemented the 'flood' so to speak in the first half beating greece at its own game.

I for one am truly angry we lost, we played cabernet. But think about this, greece out of all the teams in this tournament i feel posess the greatest fear of failure, being the defending champions and this presure alone makes players and coaches do strange things. Greece has gone above and beyond in the last 5 years and one could say reached its PEAK as a footballing nation, so the fear of failure has a huge mindset within the team! You could see this in the first half where they lacked that creativity to go forward and looked very very cautious in everything they did, right down to booting the ball out of defense unnecessarily just to prevent any chance of a swedish attack.

if greece do not make it passed the group stage, every greek will be dissapointed but you must factor in, we didnt go into this tournament with nothing to lose like last time, but instead went in with all eyes upon us just to see how we would perform.

having said all that, rehaggel must change his tactics to produce a slightly more attacking team but not go overboard as defense is our strong point. Rehaggel i think was fielding a side which was happy to get a draw and simply play very limited counter attack to maybe grab that odd goal as we play russia next and had we drawn against sweden, a russia win would have put us on 4 points with sweden most likely to lose against spain meaning that on the final day of games, greece would play spain going in on 4 points with russia playing sweden with sweden going in on 1 point putting us a likely chance. This theory is now out the window and we must beat russia and hope for spain and russia to beat sweden to sneak us through, providing we at least get a draw against spain. It is an uphill battle, as long as greece fight to the death with positive play, i think most will be satisfied with that, after the poor display against sweden.

i personally think the second goal was a free kick for greece as the swedish player elevated himself onto the greek defender and made no contact until the ball fell down.

imo, i knew nikopolidis would be greece weakest link, and this was evident from the start when he chose to come out hesitantly putting us in danger. the old fart cannot jump, simple. He is a great shot blocker but, corner kicks, long balls and through balls kill him every time. We almost conceded 2 goals from lob shots, 1 from ibrahimovic in first half and 1 in the second half when he came rushing to the edge of the 18 yard box like a nice person when he was never going to get to it. Even the second goal we conceded, im sure if we had a younger more vibrant goalkeeper, he would have attempted to punch that ball floating in the air instead of rely on his defenders to clear it off the line in that position. He made a great effort to stop the close range shot by ljungberg but once again, the old fart had no spring in his step to jump. MAybe rehaggel knows this, hence his decision to play with 5 in defense and protect nikopolidis as much as possible. Ibrahimovic second goal was classy but if nikopolidis was centered more in his goal area, he would have most likely deflected that ball away. As the ball was struck, nikopolidis was napping more to the left of his goal mouth. Initially, greece fell asleep on the throw in anyway with ibrahimovic able to quickly turn and play a 1-2 combo. Sometimes that all it takes ina sloppy defensive game like this. One moment of brilliance. Greece fell apart after that!

lastly, the idiot who compared our 2-0 loss to sweden with turkey's 2-0 loss to portugal has no soccer brain whatsoever!!!!!! i wont even attempt to explain why that is plainly retarded!
Funny how things pan out sounds like your looking for excuses for your lost. Sweden were better than you.

bradley
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by bradley »

k-man wrote:
username wrote:you all have to understand a few things. Greece had the best record in qualifying going into this tournament. They are the current holders trying to defend their title which noone has successfully done before. They are not in any position to surprise as that element has gone since 2004. If sweden played greece in 04, they would not have implemented the 'flood' so to speak in the first half beating greece at its own game.

Funny how things pan out sounds like your looking for excuses for your lost. Sweden were better than you.
I would call it a thorough observation of the game as opposed to an excuse.

username
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by username »

k-man wrote:
username wrote:k-man. STFU. I dont know if your bosnian or what, if that is the case, go over to http://www.bosnia-isn't-in-the-euro-lets-all-play-with-our-c-o-c-k.com to spin your cabernet. Your own blood chooses to play for an alternative nation. At least greece fields an all greek side, the same cannot be said for many other european nations!

Have another :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: All i ever stated was stats and you take it to another level.Greeks arnt that bad. Your just a total wank.

Very good little man, it only took you 10 months to learn how to use the quote feature on this forum. Your a quick learner, congrats!

barbarez01
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by barbarez01 »

HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS HELLAS
Sejad Salihovic!!

Ignite_10
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ignite_10 »

#10 Shqiptar wrote:close call this one but i think sweden might get up 2-1 or 2-0.... i think it will be an open game with plenty of chances...
SEE...what did i say :wink:

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

an open game with plenty of chances...

Ignite_10
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ignite_10 »

could of gone either way, needed sumthin special to break the deadlock and ibrahimovic did that, the 2nd goal was jus scruffy so dont count that lol

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

lol @ Skirlo, you morons were pounding Turkey after they lost 2-0 to Portugal, sure Turkey didn't play well but your supposed to wait to see how Greece goes before commenting....you guys lost 2-0 and played something i wouldn't even call football, your three CB's were just playing each other while your own crowd were whistling to get you to start playing.... :clown: :clown: :clown:

What a joke...the commentator was right though, Greece capable of a lot more but decided to sit back and do shiraz all and once you did start something it ended up back to Nikoplidis who ended up booting the ball straight back to Sweden
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

King Ledley wrote:your supposed to wait to see how Greece goes before commenting.
doesnt apply to the Greeks on this forum, but I did warn the Greeks who had a good laugh at Italia yesterday to save it til after Greece got a result