sunday div 1 goal scoring

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

gunther
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

sunday div 1 goal scoring

Post by gunther »

appears to be much lower than in previous years, and the league leading goal scorer looks like it will be the lowest total in a few years.
why is this?
most teams attack is a lot weaker than in previous years?
or more quality and most competitive league in years dont allow any blow outs?
i tend to go with the 2nd reason....last year sides like royal park and NAB were gettin thumped. 4 games against these sides could result upward of 20 goals....which is a significant difference compared to most 1 and 2 nil results seen so far.
from memory only parafield v fulham, inter v easties and west v somebody have been blow outs this year.
goals are flowin freely in div 3 though :D
thoughts?
wandering in a bolton wonderland

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

yes the quality is alot better
downs beat fulham 1-0 under the pump also for a bit of the game shows not much between top and bottom this yr compared to last yr

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

i have to agree!! Most competative Div 1 league ive played in for a couple years now. the Downs r just about to rap it up but everybody else..!!
Anybody can & has beaten each other & this is a great challenge not only for the players themselves but also the clubs.

I think the standard of players has improved & Div 1 is starting to attract quality players.

RT i think 21?? in 05
MO 21 in 06
both played at Parafield and never won the league :?
dont see the leading scorer comin from the Downs :?

so who will it be this year..??
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

steedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by steedy »

haywood djablowme wrote:i have to agree!! Most competative Div 1 league ive played in for a couple years now. the Downs r just about to rap it up but everybody else..!!
Anybody can & has beaten each other & this is a great challenge not only for the players themselves but also the clubs.

I think the standard of players has improved & Div 1 is starting to attract quality players.

RT i think 21?? in 05
MO 21 in 06

NO LEADING SCORER HERE BECAUSE WE HAVE A TEAM OF GOAL SCORERS.....
THERE ARE NO INDIVIDUALS IN OUR SQUAD..

THATS WHY WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.....06

NULLI SECUNDUS
The PRIDE the PASSION..
We're in the biggest army the league has ever seen
and we are marching as one on the road to a league title...
NULLI SECUNDUS....
2012... year of the DOWNS............U LOOSE TO THE MAROONS :-)

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

Post by To Mati »

steedy wrote:
haywood djablowme wrote:i have to agree!! Most competative Div 1 league ive played in for a couple years now. the Downs r just about to rap it up but everybody else..!!

RT i think 21?? in 05
MO 21 in 06

NO LEADING SCORER HERE BECAUSE WE HAVE A TEAM OF GOAL SCORERS.....
THERE ARE NO INDIVIDUALS IN OUR SQUAD..

THATS WHY WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.....06

NULLI SECUNDUS
Thats what I was thinking before you posted

DOWNS LAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DOWNS LAD »

steedy you said you have no leading goalscorers coz your a team of goalscorers and there are no individuals why did you sign ross taylor? was it because he was top goalscorer the year before? yes i think so. now that he has done S H I R A Z all you want to make excuses.

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

reddevil asked
steedy you said you have no leading goalscorers coz your a team of goalscorers and there are no individuals why did you sign ross taylor? was it because he was top goalscorer the year before? yes i think so. now that he has done S H I R A Z all you want to make excuses.
Ross played in the Downs 7 a side comp in 2005 and found the atmosphere better and more suited to him. He has friends that play here and was made welcome by all at the club, Ross has been out for over a year with knee complications, like anyone that plays here once a Downs boy always a Downs boy.
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

htfc

Post by htfc »

reddevil wrote:steedy you said you have no leading goalscorers coz your a team of goalscorers and there are no individuals why did you sign ross taylor? was it because he was top goalscorer the year before? yes i think so. now that he has done S H I R A Z all you want to make excuses.
Nob. Until he did hid knee he was well on the way to top scorer last year.
How good would you be after a knee reconstruction? Watch out for him next year.
Also whats the good of having someone knock in 2 goals a week to see your defence concede 3? The Downs success has been built on solid defensive work this year. You will never lose a game if you keep a clean sheet. If you can score goals from many positions it makes if very difficult for a team to defend against you. Stop being a bitter toss and acknowledge to win a title take more than one player.

DOWNS LAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DOWNS LAD »

hey marooned ask ross if he thinks that once a downs boy always a downs boy. ive heard rumors that hes coming back to the gardens next year. strong rumors at that

Chopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Chopper »

[quote="marooned"]reddevil asked[quote]steedy you said you have no leading goalscorers coz your a team of goalscorers and there are no individuals why did you sign ross taylor? was it because he was top goalscorer the year before? yes i think so. now that he has done S H I R A Z all you want to make excuses.[/quote]

Ross played in the Downs 7 a side comp in 2005 and found the atmosphere better and more suited to him. He has friends that play here and was made welcome by all at the club, Ross has been out for over a year with knee complications, like anyone that plays here once a Downs boy always a Downs boy.[/quote]

Is Matt Peace still a Downs boy :?: :twisted:

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

PC will always be a Downs boy he started here and will always be welcomed here. Ross going back to the Gardens, well in the famous words of John Elliot PIGS ARS E.
Last edited by marooned on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KEANO16
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KEANO16 »

[quote="reddevil"]hey marooned ask ross if he thinks that once a downs boy always a downs boy. ive heard rumors that hes coming back to the gardens next year. strong rumors at that[/quote]

Youre havin a laugh mate!

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

i think everyones getting a bit off the topic here, its not a downs wank forum,

the quality of soccer is very good this year and defences have been playing well and marking the forwards pretty tight, alot of midfielders and defenders have been chipping in with goals, just one of them years, wont be long til a striker has a big year again

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

ross good striker doubt he will be goin back to the gardens next yr altho i hear there is a rumour a gardens lad might be thinkin of joinin the downs next yr :D

downsboynow
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by downsboynow »

RT here - I've been slack in the last few weeks cos the lads have been doing so well - back to back winners is on the cards. The downs have been by my side through the injury & I'm getting close to be fully fit now but there's no point playing this year when the squad is close to winning the league...so with a strong pre-season, next year will be back to normal.

p.s. Put the rumour to bed, the Downs are a great club & I can see myself playing there next year.

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

downsboynow wrote:RT here - I've been slack in the last few weeks cos the lads have been doing so well - back to back winners is on the cards. The downs have been by my side through the injury & I'm getting close to be fully fit now but there's no point playing this year when the squad is close to winning the league...so with a strong pre-season, next year will be back to normal.

p.s. Put the rumour to bed, the Downs are a great club & I can see myself playing there next year.
Very uncommittal - "can" or "DO" ??

downsboynow
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by downsboynow »

I thought it was clear, sorry mate. Not used to playing with words :o)

I will be at the Downs next year!

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

thats wat i like to hear mate

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

Big call Ross playing at the Downs next year, ever been coached by Bert Fuda??

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

Has bert definately got the Downs job?

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

is motts retiring ?

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Mr X wrote:Has bert definately got the Downs job?
All speculation at the moment with the whole club concentrating on securing the league and cup double.
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

Hey Legga, your having a laugh now. Bert is telling people he is coaching there next year and then theres the players hes brining to the Downs
Joey Allwright was one.

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

Well thats early preparation at its finest. maybe your club should start planning next season too, rather than ask and pry into what our club is doing. a well run business dosnt sell out its stock and wait till the next customer comes in to restock. It prepares the store months in advance if not years. And looking after your shop is vital. Talking about a competitors business and what they are doing is a waste of time and effort dont you think. The people that need to know are in the know. We stick to our business plan and it takes care of us. Take a leaf.

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

Hey Marooned you have made me laugh so much with your reply! The Downs are a business now and run efficiently, I love it mate. You are the chairman of a first division amatuer side who has won a league title and are well on your way to a 2nd one BUT MATE... Its the Downs not Manchester United.

Everyone in the Amatuer league wants Burt to coach the downs next year.

Im not prying into what your club does or how it works, I heard it the other day and thought Id ask.

Just wonder how Kleiny feels being a successful coach and then doing 2 or 3 (Not sure) years at the Downs Ressies to be overlooked when the main job is up for grabs!

Motts should do it again!

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

Two points left right out, I am no longer chairman i stepped down a couple of months ago, but I am still involved with the club and always will be. I started here when I was 6 and am 47 now, apart from a couple of years at Mod Vista (lived a hundred yards from the club) there has and will never be another club for me.

Secondly the Downs have had a business plan in action for around 7 years now and is just recently reflecting the value of that plan. We dont pretend to be Man U. But we certainly wont treat it as a day to day proposition it too important to too many people to do that.

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

You could stuff your club if it was to turn into United marooned!

.........and another thing, why would Ross want to go anywhere else when he is a) surrounded by a club that has looked after him and wants him to play, and, more importantly, enjoy his football b) surrounded by a bunch of top blokes that includes the aforementioned and ALL the playing, coaching and backroom staff c) able to get the honour of training and playing some of the greatest exponents of the game (the fossils - you only get one crack at it though Ross - shame you struggled to keep up!) and d) given the opportunity every once in a while to buy me beer and give me a lift home when I have reached an advanced state of refreshment.

Thank you m'lud I rest my case.

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

fair call there mate :D

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

...........Even the first bit mate?

CR7