AFL Returns to Hindmarsh

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AFL Returns to Hindmarsh

Post by kingswood »

Apparently the AFL's new game of "AFL X" is going to be played at Hindmarsh from February next year. Hope it is a complete flop....

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: AFL Returns to Hindmarsh

Post by Slide Tackle »

Will get a bigger crowd than AU

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

Slide Tackle wrote:Will get a bigger crowd than AU
Be interesting to see...

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

Slide Tackle wrote:Will get a bigger crowd than AU
guarantee the local rag and its cousin 5aa will heavily promote this event.
they did the same for the international rules recently....

of course , doesnt help that 5aa is no longer media partner of AUFC

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

The AFL have announced that their answer to Twenty20 cricket, AFLX, will make its public debut the weekend before next year’s JLT Community Series.

The fast-paced and high-scoring version of the game will take place across three nights starting on Thursday February 15 at Adelaide’s Hindmarsh Stadium – a venue traditionally restricted to soccer and rugby matches.

Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, West Coast, Fremantle and Geelong will take on each other at the home of the A-League’s Adelaide United in a round-robin format, with each team to play at least two matches of two 10 minute halves on the night.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Australian football returns to "Hindmarsh Oval", 113 years after the West Torrens Football Club set up its home on Manton Avenue

oneleggedseagull
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by oneleggedseagull »

BeNatural wrote:
Australian football returns to "Hindmarsh Oval", 113 years after the West Torrens Football Club set up its home on Manton Avenue
So what do you mean to highlight?
Is it that there was no Hindmarsh 113 years ago as far as I know, the stand at Hindmarsh was the Bailetti stand, but maybe Manton st was called Hindmarsh? There was certainly not an oval, didn't it get used as cycle velodrome?
Of course it may be AFL that didn't exist 113 years ago.

As long as they don't mess up the surface in their attempt to be relevant I really don't care

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

will Collingwood need a guide to get them there. :?: plus how much rent will they have to pay to play afl there. :?:

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

oneleggedseagull wrote:
BeNatural wrote:
Is it that there was no Hindmarsh 113 years ago as far as I know, the stand at Hindmarsh was the Bailetti stand, but maybe Manton st was called Hindmarsh? There was certainly not an oval, didn't it get used as cycle velodrome?

As long as they don't mess up the surface in their attempt to be relevant I really don't care
Hindmarsh Stadium is situated on exactly the same spot that was occupied by Hindmarsh Oval, which was established on an open area previously known as Lindsay Circus in 1905.

The West Torrens footy club played there from about 1905 to 1923. Of course "AFL" didn't exist back then, but people now just can't get out of the habit of using that mighty brand name for Aussie Rules football :lol:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

AFLX is played on the 15th Feb. I think United have a game 2 days after this match. I hope the pitch does not get cut up.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

eagleboy wrote:AFLX is played on the 15th Feb. I think United have a game 2 days after this match. I hope the pitch does not get cut up.

It is bound to with all those uncordinated louts slipping and sliding all over the ground. :lol:

I wonder what sort of goals they will be using, probably rugby goals with posts for hard luck near by. :?:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Griffin isn’t happy that AFLX being played at Hindmarsh as it’s “soley” a soccer ground he said. Yet the a-league play at Adelaide oval. So I don’t see the issue of them playing at the venue. Etihad can turnaround in 24 hours and host an AFL match after a Football match so shouldn’t be an issue.

Our football doesn’t need to worry about AFL anyways. It will always be the number 1 watched sport in this country. After all it’s the nations sport. But what we have achieved is that it’s by far the most played sport in terms of population than any other sport.

teddles
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by teddles »

It's a positive in that any other users of the ground should, over time, reduce the cost of hiring the place. Having said that, it'd be nice to know how much the AFL are being charged compared to AU and I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL are getting a better deal.

It's a negative in that it's being played only two days before AU play there and there's a good chance the ground will be chopped up. One of Hindmarsh's attractions is the quality of the surface (though it's had it's bad moments).

This new game isn't going to last and I believe the AFL are fools for trying to further dilute the sporting mix of this country. However, they are the only ones who are going to suffer if it goes pear shaped. It can't and won't hurt football or rugby and is unlikely to be any more than a skid mark on the AFL's shorts.

One is tempted to wonder though, if this new game is so wonderful, why aren't they playing it at AO with all the media promotion they can manage? Scared of it being a dismal flop perhaps?

LonsdaleBologna
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by LonsdaleBologna »

Haha and if it's a roaring success they'll be doing football a favour by helping to justify a new 40k capacity rectangular stadium in the city. That'd be nice of them.
Hugely careless and disrespectful to play this sideshow 2 days before an AU match though. That pitch better be good under foot and that ball better roll true. Completely unessesary short turnaround. Dodgy.

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

They are not playing it at Adelaide Oval because it is a small scaled version of their full sized game. Would look ridiculous at AO.. and even they realise this.

I think they are crazy to further dilute their "great" game in an attempt to upset soccer's popularity. If comments on footy forums are anything to go by, even AFL fans are not exactly enthusiastic about this venture.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

"sellout at hindmarsh" 15k = in media as resounding success.

"half-full adelaide oval" 25k = in media as flop

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

Wouldn't SACA have exclusive use of adelaide oval till maybe beginning of March for the cricket season?

Nice temptation for the footy players to see who can boot the ball over the northern stand at hindmarsh. Free footies for kids waiting on Holden street. What's the length of hindmarsh stadium oval, 100m? So 2 kicks of a football and your at the other end of the ground.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

upsidedown wrote:Wouldn't SACA have exclusive use of adelaide oval till maybe beginning of March for the cricket season?

Nice temptation for the footy players to see who can boot the ball over the northern stand at hindmarsh. Free footies for kids waiting on Holden street. What's the length of hindmarsh stadium oval, 100m? So 2 kicks of a football and your at the other end of the ground.
They had international rules at AO last week. The problem with AO maybe the spectators too far from the pitch. :lol:

midfield
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by midfield »

Sad. Hindmarsh should be sacred territory. Sad to see AFL on it. Hope the concept does not work.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

This game was designed so they can try display it in other countries that don't have ovals and only pitches. Therefore it was designed to fit on a soccer pitch / rugby pitch / NFL pitch.

It's being played at Hindmarsh to demonstrate this although one can only wonder why they're not doing it in their spiritual heartland at AAMI Park.

And to whoever thinks this will reduce the cost of hiring Hindmarsh over time... :lol:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Lucas Leiva wrote:This game was designed so they can try display it in other countries that don't have ovals and only pitches. Therefore it was designed to fit on a soccer pitch / rugby pitch / NFL pitch.

It's being played at Hindmarsh to demonstrate this although one can only wonder why they're not doing it in their spiritual heartland at AAMI Park.

And to whoever thinks this will reduce the cost of hiring Hindmarsh over time... :lol:

They should have their pathetic little competition during their own season, not ours.

It looks like they will play around four of their matches on one day, surely AU should demand they play during a week when AU are playing away to give the ground a chance to recover fro it?

No doubt they'll play in sneakers and rip all the grass off the surface. :x
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Halilović
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Halilović »

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

oneleggedseagull
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by oneleggedseagull »

eagleboy wrote:
They had international rules at AO last week. The problem with AO maybe the spectators too far from the pitch. :lol:
Both them and the Irish want to play it in the USA'
Obviously it'll depend where they have the exhibition game - Boston = sellout, Seattle = watchers who'll laugh and treat it like the Claytons circus it is.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Hindmarsh Oval
circa 1905

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:They should have their pathetic little competition during their own season, not ours.
Anyone else seeing the irony?

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

AFL supporters would flock to see Crows play Port Power if two teams of mice representing those clubs were playing

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

LonsdaleBologna wrote:Haha and if it's a roaring success they'll be doing football a favour by helping to justify a new 40k capacity rectangular stadium in the city. That'd be nice of them.
Hugely careless and disrespectful to play this sideshow 2 days before an AU match though. That pitch better be good under foot and that ball better roll true. Completely unessesary short turnaround. Dodgy.
Or maybe even an upgrade of Hindmarsh
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

AFL been around a tad longer than the A League. Actually a lot lot longer than the A League
oneleggedseagull wrote:
BeNatural wrote:

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:They should have their pathetic little competition during their own season, not ours.
Anyone else seeing the irony?
yes
Im closer than you think

Die Toten Hosen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Die Toten Hosen »

:lol:
Lesbische, schwarze behinderte sind alle furchtbar nett.