Metro United vs Adelaide City

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Metro United vs Adelaide City

Post by United We Stand »

After witnessing the Comets vs West Adelaide final round game and that thrilling finale,it is the turn of the women this weekend. The two powerhouses of the women's league, Metro United and Adelaide City, will battle it out for the championship in what is effectively, a "Grand Final." They are both on the equal amount of points, but Metro has a vastly superior goal difference and have the home ground advantage. Adelaide City need to win to retain the championship for yet another year, but Metro will be determined to finish off a fine season in style in front of their own fans. A tense and engrossing game is in store at Lindblom Park. Fittingly, the two teams will contest the Cup Final a week later. Good luck to both teams and may the best team win!

Journeyman
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Metro United vs Adelaide City

Post by Journeyman »

I think Metro will be too strong for Adelaide City.

Both teams have good depth and play attractive football, but Metro should have the edge with a stronger physical presence and home ground advantage.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Ht
Metro up 3 nill

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

So what happened?

M@rvin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by M@rvin »

Last I heard Metro winning 5-2 and city down to ten players.
The goalkeeper is the jewel in the crown and getting at him should be almost impossible. It's the biggest sin in football to make him do any work.

George Graham

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Game called off with 10 to 15 to go....should be some interesting stories to come out of it....but metro completely dominated the game.... the red was harsh but there...more of a yellow and a half, could have gone either way...

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

As a neutral, I must say that although Metro played very well and that they deserved to win the game, that they definitely did NOT dominate the whole game. I think that the referee was terribly inconsistent and has definitely been a major influence on the result with a number of confusing and erroneous decisions. A couple of these decisions directly led to Metro goals. The Metro No. 9 was extremely lucky to stay on the field after committing a similar foul that the City captain was sent off for, after previously being booked.

The game was abandoned after an incident where a Metro girl blatantly and cowardly kicked a City girl who was lying on the ground, prompting a young female supporter (Family member?) to run on to the ground to remonstrate with the offending Metro player. This led to players from all over the pitch all running in to remonstrate with each other. The referee and assistant referee failed in their duty of care for the players and should have sent the Metro girl off. To abandon the game was certainly an overeaction by the referee who had a shocker and spoilt what was effectively the "Grand Final" between the Premier League's top two teams. Surely FFSA should have appointed its most experienced referee for this clash instead of this young referee who,quite frankly,lost control of the game.
Last edited by United We Stand on Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Not a young referee

Referees senior men's NPL.

Based on men's similar incidents this season, should be at least $2000 fine each for melee

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

BeNatural wrote:Not a young referee

Referees senior men's NPL.

Based on men's similar incidents this season, should be at least $2000 fine each for melee
He is surely not the most experienced referee available was he?

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

United we Stand was at a different game to me..

City defensive error in 1st few mins led to the conceding of the 1st goal and City found it difficult after that -Metro were 3:0 at half time - I'd call that dominating the game.

The sending off - the referee called a penalty for a last man challenge - no choice but a straight red.
Metro #9 booked for a challenge on keeper - maybe a bit harsh , but it's the way he called it.

After the sending off Metro got to 5:0 and then took their foot off the gas
City got a couple back, but City's indiscipline led to several yellow cards for descent.

I did not see the initial challenge that led to the final incident, I was on the opposite side of the field. It was near the City bench, and after the initial challenge/incident between two Metro/City players, a city player (substitute) entered the field of play and got involved, followed by a male City supporter.

After consulting his linesman - The referee abandoned the game due to non players entering the field of play.
City will be in trouble over this - precident has been set from them mens game - future points deduction and heavy fine.

The FFSA are pushing to introduce fenced off pitches and enclosed players race like the men.
Congratulations to the male idiot who entered the field of play - he has probably just given the FFSA the justification to drive this through!

The abandonment was after 70mins - so the result will stand Metro take out the title. The FFSA however decided that they cannot award the trophy until they investigate.

Shame that Metro's celebrations were spoilt by City's supporters - and the FFSA's lack of a backbone to award the trophy- even the reserves trophy was not handed out - a shambles end

Well Done Metro Prems and Reserves - both teams undefeated and worthy champions.

Maybe the FFSA need extra security for the up and coming cup final !

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Hey Runcorn, your Metro bias is showing with that post. If you read my post carefully, I said that Metro did not dominate the WHOLE game, as a response to someone who wrote that Metro dominated the whole game. City had spells where they were matching Metro, including the early part of the game when they conceded a goal due to a defensive mistake and scoring two goals when they were reduced to ten men. I actually said that Metro deserved to win the game.

The penalty was rightfully given when the City captain's mistimed challenge brought down the Metro number 9. She was beaten by a skilful cutback by the Metro girl, but it was not a "last man" challenge as you put it. That should not have been a send off.

I also disagree with the idea that Metro "took their foot off the gas." As sometimes happens, the team reduced to ten players (Incensed by the send off decision) showed character in fighting back.

I do agree that the City girls were guilty of indiscipline and this led to a number of yellow cards. However, I feel that the referees inconsistent handling of the game led to their frustration. I am not condoning the DISSENT (You got that wrong too!), but the referee's performance was sub-standard to say the least.

I have already explained what happened with that incident. It happened right in front of me. You were on the other side of the ground and didn't see the incident. Yet, you say a City substitute and a male City supporter ran on to the field? Well you got that wrong as well. It was a female supporter and I believe that it was the City TRAINER who went on to treat the girl who was lying on the ground hurt. The City bench, I noticed, were actually pleading for people to stay off the field as they saw that the supporters were incensed that Metro girl was not sent off.

Metro were worthy winners of the title, but not undefeated as you say. I believe that Sturt-Marion beat them earlier in the year which is why both teams ended up on equal points entering into this game.

Finally, it isn't extra security that is needed at next week's Cup Final between these two teams. Just an experienced and COMPETENT referee so that the game doesn't get out of hand. The referee had an absolute shocker and I understand why any team's supporters would be frustrated with a referee who performs like that. There has not been any previous incidents like this between the two arch rivals and it was a pity that the referee's incompetence was directly responsible.
Last edited by United We Stand on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Who was the ref?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

Metro and a few others, rough and brutal in there approach to football and FFSA ref's continue to let bad fouls go! regardless of the gender, two footed tackles and rugby style football is not being brought into line. Last game im going to, when the laws of the game are ignored by the referee's just because its juniors or women's.

metro should be deducted 3 pts for kicking the S%%$# out of player on the ground. lucky it didnt turn into a full scale brawl..

The Baby
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Baby »

Jarrod Muller

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

United We Stand wrote:
The penalty was rightfully given when the City captain's mistimed challenge brought down the Metro number 9. She was beaten by a skilful cutback by the Metro girl, but it was not a "last man" challenge as you put it. That should not have been a send off.
Incident was directly in front of me and was 100% the last defender and a red card.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

nathanburns15 wrote:
United We Stand wrote:
Incident was directly in front of me and was 100% the last defender and a red card.
Don't forget, you're talking to UWS here. He's got a unique way of seeing things, in all aspects of football.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Baby, That's pretty bad form. If you're going to name involved parties on a public forum then all the other parties involved should have the same exposure- players and spectators who entered the field of play. Plenty of blame to go around, looks like to me. With plenty of people who stepped over the line. Ref was just trying to do his job in a hostile, volatile environment. Naming names on here is uncalled for, especially when events are still very fresh. Shame on you.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Why is the refs name taboo?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Obvious why it was posted-

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

juniorsupporter wrote:Obvious why it was posted-
Yeah. Because I asked who was the ref

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

United we stand, you said that the incident whereby a city supporter entered the field of play (totally unacceptable and inexcusable i might add) and 'remonstrated' with a metro field player. You claim that this incident happened right in front of you.

Can you please elaborate what exactly you mean by 'remonstrated' i.e. what exactly occurred.

I found it hard to believe that a referee would just abandon the game just because a single supporter illegally entered the pitch.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

i only said metro dominated because i don't really ever see a shot on goal by Adelaide city or string more than 3 passes to feet together up until i left and that was about 5 minutes after the fifth goal...so i apologise for saying they dominated because obviously it was different after i left and City scored 2 goals...

i didn't see the incident so can't comment...

but metro looked like a team that wanted to win and wanted the title they came out controlled the game and set the tone early with there physical play and if that was there tactic to push around and intimidate a much smaller and inexperienced city side then so be it...it worked and fair play to them but it really did look like girls playing women out there today...metro came to play and city couldn't compete...

yes the ref wasn't the best....but the 1st goal was no issue in the build up or finish....the 2nd goal i also believe no issue again...the 3rd from a corner once again no issue....the 4th a penalty that was there all day long....the 5th ( i don't remember, but if there was an issue so be it...) so maybe ill discipline and letting the poor decisions impacted on city mentally...but I'am sure as hell every team out there has had times where decisions haven't gone there way so move on and come back bigger and better next year City you can't blame the ref today i'am afraid....

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

United we Stand - I never claimed to be a anything but a Metro supporter..
I stand corrected on the defeat by Marion
I also stand corrected on a spelling mistake from editing on my phone.

I stand by the rest of my comments.
The referee was no worse than any I have seen all season in both the mens & women's game, but how you can lay the blame for this performance at the hands of the officials is beyond me.

Worthless Gobemouche
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Worthless Gobemouche »

Grabs popcorn and pulls up a deck chair...looking for to round 2 next weekend

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

El Paso del Norte wrote:
nathanburns15 wrote:
United We Stand wrote:
Don't forget, you're talking to UWS here. He's got a unique way of seeing things, in all aspects of football.

If being strictly fair, unbiased and knowledgeable is "unique," then I am guilty as charged. As for you El Paso, you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

runcorn2adelaide wrote:United we Stand - I never claimed to be a anything but a Metro supporter..
I stand corrected on the defeat by Marion
I also stand corrected on a spelling mistake from editing on my phone.

I stand by the rest of my comments.
The referee was no worse than any I have seen all season in both the mens & women's game, but how you can lay the blame for this performance at the hands of the officials is beyond me.
" No worse than any I have seen all season.........." That doesn't make his performance excusable. I too, have seen poor refereeing performances this season. I agree with the comment made about referees letting too much go just because it's the women's or juniors game. However, today the referee did not send off a girl that lashed out and kicked a girl lying on the ground and was terribly inconsistent all day. His decisions influenced the scoring of two Metro goals. I wonder if it was a Metro girl that got kicked whilst lying on the ground. How would you feel if the City girl was not sent off? This is especially so if you felt aggrieved that Ebony W was sent off unjustly earlier in the game. That refereeing performance WAS NOT good enough. They have a duty of care to protect players from two footed tackles and rugby style challenges. I would feel the same if it was Metro that suffered at the hands of the referee.

P.S I asked why City's dangerous striker (D. Di Bartolo) wasn't playing and was told that she was injured by THREE brutal tackles in a previous game which only incurred ONE yellow. It's no wonder the City supporters were screaming at the ref. Lucky there wasn't a full scale brawl.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

snow white wrote:United we stand, you said that the incident whereby a city supporter entered the field of play (totally unacceptable and inexcusable i might add) and 'remonstrated' with a metro field player. You claim that this incident happened right in front of you.

Can you please elaborate what exactly you mean by 'remonstrated' i.e. what exactly occurred.

I found it hard to believe that a referee would just abandon the game just because a single supporter illegally entered the pitch.
BUMP

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

snow white wrote:United we stand, you said that the incident whereby a city supporter entered the field of play (totally unacceptable and inexcusable i might add) and 'remonstrated' with a metro field player. You claim that this incident happened right in front of you.

Read my account of the incident carefully.It started when a female supporter also joined the few players remonstrating (Arguing) with the Metro girl and then players came from all over the field. The abandonment was not because of a single supporter at all.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

United We Stand wrote:

Read my account of the incident carefully.It started when a female supporter also joined the few players remonstrating (Arguing) with the Metro girl and then players came from all over the field. The abandonment was not because of a single supporter at all.
'Female supporter ... Joined the players remonstrating' ...

Just so we are clear, are you stating that all you witnessed was a city supporter illegally enter the field of play and just verbally 'argue' with a metro player?

Can you rule out any physical contact made by that city supporter who entered the field?

I missed the game and obviously didn't see the incident, but keen to understand what happened by someone who claims to be 'neutral'

AWA
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by AWA »

United We Stand wrote:As a neutral....
. :shock: :lol: