SBS The World Game: SA youth

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: SBS The World Game: SA youth

Post by Jeda »

maximum wrote:Hopefully the days of picking the 6 foot tall at age 13 players, and the win at all costs mentality has gone.

I,d hate to be six foot tall at 13 and talented,I might be stereo typed as technically inept and not worthy of being further developed.
:| I've heard this for the past 2 or 3 years & I'm still scratching my head why I can't see any of these giants :roll: all I see are poorly fed & sleep deprived kids with a few healthy sized kids thrown in :P
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

Future Game
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Future Game »

maximum wrote:Hopefully the days of picking the 6 foot tall at age 13 players, and the win at all costs mentality has gone.

I,d hate to be six foot tall at 13 and talented,I might be stereo typed as technically inept and not worthy of being further developed.

My point being, if you look at SASI players in the last 15 years, name me one of the bigger lads that has gone on to the next level. They always went to the nationals with the biggest kids. The article from the FFA stated this. 'Skillful players left out in favouir of bigger ones.' It does not matter what size they are, if they have the goods pick them, physical development will come later. All the asian youth teams are small, and kicked our ass.
If he is 6 foot tall at 13 and has the talent, yes pick him. But dont just pick him because he can throw his weight around.
'Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.'

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

Hang on a minute, does it mean you aren’t skillful if you are a bigger kid for your age? Rubbish!!!! It seems some comments insinuate the smaller players as having more skill and discriminating against the bigger kid. I’m not denying some coaches do pick the bigger players with the perception it will win them the game and I don’t support this. Does this mean though the bigger player will have to prove themselves more so because of their size? That’s not right either. I have seen some amazing talent and size has had nothing to do with it. I just think it’s time to back off with the big player statements.

Future Game
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Future Game »

Chalky wrote:Hang on a minute, does it mean you aren’t skillful if you are a bigger kid for your age? Rubbish!!!! It seems some comments insinuate the smaller players as having more skill and discriminating against the bigger kid. I’m not denying some coaches do pick the bigger players with the perception it will win them the game and I don’t support this. Does this mean though the bigger player will have to prove themselves more so because of their size? That’s not right either. I have seen some amazing talent and size has had nothing to do with it. I just think it’s time to back off with the big player statements.
Do I have to spell it out. :roll: My initial statement said that I hope the days of picking JUST the bigger players were over. Nothing about bigger players were crap or should not be looked at, at all. Sure if they have the goods, then pick them. But years ago more skillful players were overlooked because they were not physically mature at the same age.
Jesus, have I offended some big prick_s that did not make it. :lol: I also offered 2 players that physically developed later in their teens and went on to make a much highre level.
It was an example to younger guys who thought the final word was final.

Chalky & Maximum cant you read between the lines or understand. Or do you just fly off and assume YOUR point of view.
It was wrongly how it was up until a few years ago, hopefully it will be 'if you are good enough you will be picked'. :roll:

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

Hey Future Game my response wasn’t to you!!!! I understood everything you posted and I wasn’t disagreeing, I think you need to take a chill pill, I never made it personal so I have no idea why you have, this is a public forum isn’t it. My comments were made in general and were supporting the development of ALL players if you read my post correctly, my point was to make publicly aware that the discussions about the size of players was irrelevant. THAT’S IT!!!!!! Geeez.

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

Ohhh ….. Calling me a big prick was off the mark, I would have preferred you left that out.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=horst ... en&tbm=vid

It's a 4 part video. If you don't have the time to watch all of it make sure you get the end 3 - 4 minutes of Pt1 and the beginning of Pt 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lH6qV_rvk&NR=1

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Chalky wrote:Ohhh ….. Calling me a big prick was off the mark, I would have preferred you left that out.
:lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Future Game
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Future Game »

Chalky wrote:Hey Future Game my response wasn’t to you!!!! I understood everything you posted and I wasn’t disagreeing, I think you need to take a chill pill, I never made it personal so I have no idea why you have, this is a public forum isn’t it. My comments were made in general and were supporting the development of ALL players if you read my post correctly, my point was to make publicly aware that the discussions about the size of players was irrelevant. THAT’S IT!!!!!! Geeez.
Good, now we are all on the same page and agree. :D Despite our keyboard differences. :lol: Also the size of our Pricks_s. :lol:

LETHAL
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by LETHAL »

I can see 4 or 5 kids from SASI making it somewhere!
Does anyone know who I am talking about?

Zurawski
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Zurawski »

LETHAL wrote:I can see 4 or 5 kids from SASI making it somewhere!
let's hope baggio, but every year there are a few kid's that were supposed to 'make it.' the state team born in '89 had guys who went on to the AIS and Joeys and most of them are doing nothing now.

Soap Box
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Soap Box »

Jeda wrote:

:| I've heard this for the past 2 or 3 years & I'm still scratching my head why I can't see any of these giants :roll: all I see are poorly fed & sleep deprived kids with a few healthy sized kids thrown in :P
I heard they take bone measurements at about age 14 to determine how tall a goal keeper is likely to grow to and if they don't measure up, then they are not looked at for state selection. Is this true?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Zurawski wrote:
let's hope baggio, but every year there are a few kid's that were supposed to 'make it.' the state team born in '89 had guys who went on to the AIS and Joeys and most of them are doing nothing now.
Talent and skills are not enough, players need to have the right mentality and attitude to want to, and be able to, give what it takes to become a professional. At 15, 16, 17, 18 there are too many new experiences opening up to them; girls, cars, alcohol, parties. And on top of that is high school, University, work.

The biggest killer of a future star is alcohol and late nights. It's hard when all your mates are going out on a Saturday night, and their calling you to come out. Read a few of the great players autobiographies and you'll see that all have had this challenge, and all the great ones have resisted the temptation to go out and party. They know that once they make it they'll have their time to party.

We need to keep reminding players about this, at training, at the elite levels, as parents. But at the end of the day it's their choice and we can't fault them for that.

Future Game
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Future Game »

johnydep wrote:
Zurawski wrote:
Talent and skills are not enough, players need to have the right mentality and attitude to want to, and be able to, give what it takes to become a professional. At 15, 16, 17, 18 there are too many new experiences opening up to them; girls, cars, alcohol, parties. And on top of that is high school, University, work.

The biggest killer of a future star is alcohol and late nights. It's hard when all your mates are going out on a Saturday night, and their calling you to come out. Read a few of the great players autobiographies and you'll see that all have had this challenge, and all the great ones have resisted the temptation to go out and party. They know that once they make it they'll have their time to party.

Spot on johnydep

We need to keep reminding players about this, at training, at the elite levels, as parents. But at the end of the day it's their choice and we can't fault them for that.
Spot on johnydep. As I mentioned earlier if you really want it, the sacrifices are big but worth it if you succeed. I have seen a video on Manu U players and the sacrifices that Rooney and Ferdinand made were huge. Even being called all sorts of things by their mates. I used Groves and Goodwin as examples as they have had knock backs and did not make SASI but believed in themselves and have been rewarded with their work ethic and sacrifices.
There have been heaps of talented kids come through SASI and AIS and have done the party scene and booze and are back to square one. You cant have both, you have to be strong enough to say NO, if you really want it.

bestofbothworlds17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by bestofbothworlds17 »

No, but why dont you tell us?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

bestofbothworlds17 wrote:
No, but why dont you tell us?
:lol: He wants to see him own name appear perhaps? I just hope all the boys from SASI carry on playing at whatever level suits their talent and lifestyle. Can't all be George Best.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

fernet
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by fernet »

I heard they take bone measurements at about age 14 to determine how tall a goal keeper is likely to grow to and if they don't measure up, then they are not looked at for state selection. Is this true?
Not true. Know for a fact. Since the introduction of Vidmar at SASI, we have 7 kids at the AIS and in the Joey's squad for world cup this year, with another 2-3 possibly getting a call up soon, a number of kids on AU's radar as well. Think SA is heading in the right direction.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

not sure what the fuss is about, had 5 players in the joeys squad, with 2 already snapped by united, and griffen expressing his desire to keep all 5 in the state...

just above them you have troisi and the mcgowans looking good, plus many others around the mark, with rini to at least sign 1 local player to united i think things are looking good

2 sa players were just signed in korea too in flakes and fyfie

if you look at how ajax base their system, they plan for 1 player out of every team to be a first team player at ajax, so of course there are going to be people that dont make it in every team
ImageImage