Elizabeth Downs?

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Wolfman08
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Elizabeth Downs?

Post by Wolfman08 »

What is going on at the Downs?

Ageing list?

Complacency?

Players leaving, long term injuries?

A stronger, closer league?

If anyone has seen or played for them this year, please shed some light on this situation.

Bodo, I'm looking at you as an objective, un-biased view. I am used of the Downs being a powerhouse.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Re: Elizabeth Downs?

Post by Missing Post Count »

Well, I've only seen the Downs play once, at Usc Lion this year. They were outplayed in the second half but held on thanks to a four goal half time buffer. Someone I spoke on the days said it was an ageing squad and despite success in recent season he had seen much stronger Downs sides in years gone by. As for myself, I've only seen one game so I can't give a fair evaluation.

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Their Over 35s seem to be doing alright! I don't reckon the list gets any more aged than those blokes.......

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

When we played them earlier in the year I thought they were just as good as they had been during the past two years. Their "ageing" players played well so I don't see that as a factor. Losing Matt Blackwood for the season and their keeper has definitely hurt them though.

However, it is probably hard to keep the desire to win at all costs going for an extended period of time. Most great teams have a two to three year window and after that they come back to the pack or a new force emerges.

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Hey farmer joe your windows must be jammed shut :lol:

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

When we played the Downs, they played the best half of football we'd faced this season. Fortunately for us their second half was not so good

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

I dont actually see whats wrong with the Downs? Yes they won the League 2 years in a row BUT every year is a different year. So there not top, doesnt mean theres a problem or anythings wrong with them. And as for loosing a keeper they gained a mighty fine one also. The Downs are like any other club that are playing theve had, Injuries, suspensions and a bit of bad luck. Thats life. You cant win the league every year and you cant expect because they have won 2 on the go the third one would be easy.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Left Right Out wrote:I dont actually see whats wrong with the Downs? Yes they won the League 2 years in a row BUT every year is a different year. So there not top, doesnt mean theres a problem or anythings wrong with them. And as for loosing a keeper they gained a mighty fine one also. The Downs are like any other club that are playing theve had, Injuries, suspensions and a bit of bad luck. Thats life. You cant win the league every year and you cant expect because they have won 2 on the go the third one would be easy.
Well Said Left Right Out, i think this comment is one that should be read by all!

Outlaw
HA'WAY THE LADS

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Well said left right out. I think a lot of the clubs love to try and beat the Downs because they are the reigning champs. The support we generate gets up a few peoples noses which drives them to want to take the piss out of us on the park. I am sure there is nothing better than grabbing a win over the Downs and shutting our supporters up. As a club we are in fantastic shape finacially,support wise, we always pull a crowd where ever we go which can not be said for some 1st div clubs. Over 26 junior sides for our future survival and to prove a point our world famous Downs show sold out in record time with 250 tickets gone. Tickets were 15 bucks each I will let you do the maths. Do not worry we will come back harder ,stronger better and to the teams fighting for top spot how good it will be to dent your title hopes when we come a visiting. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

legga wrote:Well said left right out. I think a lot of the clubs love to try and beat the Downs because they are the reigning champs. The support we generate gets up a few peoples noses which drives them to want to take the piss out of us on the park. I am sure there is nothing better than grabbing a win over the Downs and shutting our supporters up. As a club we are in fantastic shape finacially,support wise, we always pull a crowd where ever we go which can not be said for some 1st div clubs. Over 26 junior sides for our future survival and to prove a point our world famous Downs show sold out in record time with 250 tickets gone. Tickets were 15 bucks each I will let you do the maths. Do not worry we will come back harder ,stronger better and to the teams fighting for top spot how good it will be to dent your title hopes when we come a visiting. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Total 90
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Total 90 »

Jay Walking wrote:
legga wrote:Well said left right out. I think a lot of the clubs love to try and beat the Downs because they are the reigning champs. The support we generate gets up a few peoples noses which drives them to want to take the piss out of us on the park. I am sure there is nothing better than grabbing a win over the Downs and shutting our supporters up. As a club we are in fantastic shape finacially,support wise, we always pull a crowd where ever we go which can not be said for some 1st div clubs. Over 26 junior sides for our future survival and to prove a point our world famous Downs show sold out in record time with 250 tickets gone. Tickets were 15 bucks each I will let you do the maths. Do not worry we will come back harder ,stronger better and to the teams fighting for top spot how good it will be to dent your title hopes when we come a visiting. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:idea: Interesting point Jay Walking however plagerism is highly shunned upon these days :( and for some reason i get the feeling you just copied what legga said :P :!:

It's Football, But Not As You Know It!

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

We are still the team everyone fears, and the team everyone wants to beat. And with 21 points still available the Downs will have a say in who wins the title. 2006 we were like like Vo Rouge we set the pace had a big lead and just got over the line. 2007 we were like Kingston Town we led the field up and stormed away in the straight. 2008 we will have to do a Bernborough and storm down the outside with a flourish. Rest assured the trophy will not be handed over without a fight. You can bet on that.
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

They'll be back..

Should get Blackwood back next season

nugget66
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by nugget66 »

Most clubs who work there butts off get there turn with the silver wear we've had our turn & will again hopeflly soon.....
as will the Downs be back at the pointy end in the not to distant future.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

ROBBO wrote:They'll be back..

Should get Blackwood back next season
from a playing perspective they have missed Matty big time IMO
but the Downs as a club you have to respect what they have achieved over the years like wise Inter, Vale, East & Gardens for what they have achieved in Div 1 in previously years.. i guess thats why these clubs are always there or there about fighting out the championship. Downs are the current back to back league champs in the A's & B's thats a good honour & something most clubs would dream of. This year looks like it could be somebody else opportunity to gain that honour but they will bounce back too much pride in the club not to
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

ausball99
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ausball99 »

couple of things to remember
matt blackwood out for season,burt fuda out for 5 games, tony reeves has trained twice this season and has missed games through injury, backbone gone, downs have had 5 draws, last couple of seasons they would be wins, 6 out of 11 games played with less than 11 players,you need a little luck to win the league, downs have spent there luck, but agree with maroon they will have a say in the outcome

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

Elizabeth Downs P11 W3 D5 L3 F19 A19 D0 PTS14

not bad really considering the above mentioned outs, while at the same time still have enough depth to be
competing for the reserves & c grade titles.

too me their still having a great year as a club just a few hickups in the a grade at present.
LIVERPOOL FC *****

M Andrea
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by M Andrea »

I'm not gonna say what i'm thinking at the moment. I'll wait till after our game :D
Big boutso in golo!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

M Andrea wrote:I'm not gonna say what i'm thinking at the moment. I'll wait till after our game :D
Lucky you didn't ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

M Andrea
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by M Andrea »

Smart muscat :D
Big boutso in golo!

KEANO16
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KEANO16 »

The Downs are having a similar year to 2005, to many drawn games and not converting into wins.
Apart from Agars who has scored a few goals this year, there isn't anyone else who seems to be contributing on the scoresheet on a regular basis.
When u dont score goals it comes back to haunt you in defence where we havent been very good this year!! And yes Blackwood is a huge loss!!

steedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by steedy »

alm01 wrote:Elizabeth Downs P11 W3 D5 L3 F19 A19 D0 PTS14

not bad really considering the above mentioned outs, while at the same time still have enough depth to be
competing for the reserves & c grade titles.

too me their still having a great year as a club just a few hickups in the a grade at present.

spot on ....... trust me,,we are well on the way to fixing the problems...to many draws will kill any team, and lack of disipline makes it hard.

the first team are still in the race.. we will fight till the end.. UUUUUUUUU DOWNS...

go the C grade...
The PRIDE the PASSION..
We're in the biggest army the league has ever seen
and we are marching as one on the road to a league title...
NULLI SECUNDUS....
2012... year of the DOWNS............U LOOSE TO THE MAROONS :-)

cleveland
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cleveland »

downs are still a strong club, and every club has up and down years. and the downs have high expectations and expect sucsess. so sitting mid table for them is a poor year. most clubs would consider it a fairly decent year sitting fifth in div 1. in my opinion, and ive only seen them a couple of times. is that while they still have some quality they have some players who arent up to div 1 standard in there 1st team. bret hain, edgey parisi and truscott. weather its through injury or not, i dont know. but i think ull see them recruit another couple of decent first teamers next year. thats my 2 cents.
cleveland rocks!

M Andrea
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by M Andrea »

bit harsh to name players on this forum and say they are not up to standard in DIV 1 sunday's
Big boutso in golo!

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

yeah most clubs would think sitting mid table would be ok.... But you fools at Downs get on ere early in the piece and tell us how good ya are and how ya gonna win the league again and this and that... So cop it sweet now ya had cabernet season.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Forza Roma wrote:yeah most clubs would think sitting mid table would be ok.... But you fools at Downs get on ere early in the piece and tell us how good ya are and how ya gonna win the league again and this and that... So cop it sweet now ya had cabernet season.
Downs were and have been pretty quiet on here about winning 3 in a row from the season start, but we do shout loud after we have won something (and the previous 2 Championships can't be taken away).
Several players out, several young players lured to Raiders, it was always going to be a challenge.
But it's always expected that other teams and supporters will have a jibe when the Downs aren't leading the pack.
That's the nature of the game.
It's always an honour to be "the team other teams aspire to beat."
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

well said swansong.
florina as club would love to emulate what downs as a club has done. your dominance for the last two years is a credit
to the players and the comittee. the hidings you gave florina in 2006 has helped us grow in 2007 and 2008 to let us know what is required to compete in sunday div 1 and put us where we are today.
LIVERPOOL FC *****

bert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bert »

forza roma name yourself you sound piss weak :?
played4ever

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

how many div 1 titles do they have?

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »