Head of Women's Football

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Head of Women's Football

Post by sportsbird »

I saw Ivan's interview and i cannot fathom that he was given the Head of Women's Football after all the issues within the Adelaide United Women's camp. May be again a job for the boys.
Ivan talks about the development program that was discussed 12 to 18 months ago. What program. No one has heard about it. None of the WNPL coaches or clubs know about it.
He talks about developing the program that will put SA in the forefront of women's football. Firstly we need good mangers not coaches who are able to manage female athletes and secondly money. Where is the money coming from. Adelaide united were so tight prior to Covid-19 that players were flying in and out on the same game day because they could not afford accommodation.
Ivan's talks about focusing on the women's football. He hardly came out to WNPL games in the last three years. Ivan only went to certain games involving his favorite Fab 5.
Ivan talks about supporting Adrian in his new role as head coach, by the way congratulations to Adrian. The feedback I am receiving he is a great person and that he will do a fantastic job. But I have reservation, as Adrian will be a puppet on a string and he will do as Ivan says. Guarantee that nothing will change from the last season playing personnel because that is what Ivan wants.
Ivan talks about AU heading in the right direction, not bad considering 2018-2019 we finished 6th and 2019-2020 we finished equal last.
One thing I agree with him is finding a home base and utilising those facilities throughout the season. It appears the squad may be taken away from the WNPL clubs. Don't think the clubs will be happy, but it is a good thing.
Ivan got that right when he said the players respect him because they didn't respect Ivan.
Ivan talks about talking to WNPL coaches at looking at the development pathways and align the clubs with AU. Ivan could not care less about the WNPL clubs, he is only concerned about his current AU players. Ivan says a lot of the AU players play for the WNPL. AC have 5 of them.
I wont hold my breath for this program that will place SA in the forefront of women's football.
Good luck Adrian. Make sure you coach your way and don't let anyone tell you how to coach or what to do otherwise its your head on the line. It's a ruthless soccer world out there.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Head of Women's Football

Post by Riggles64 »

Whilst I may not always agree with everything you've submitted in this post and others, I welcome the time you have taken to write it up. From what you have written I suspect you beyond a mere parent like me and may be someone whom has a foot in parent/coach/learned observer.

Anyway, unless we work within the confines of AUFC it's hard for me to comment however, my only indicator of the "system" and "competency" of coaches and others associated with aufc women's program are the results. Over a decade or so we've not been where we would like our national team to be. We've had some almost years and in one season we had some brilliant players playing: Brazil, USA, interstate and we produced some excellent games and the vibe amongst those at Valo was was really energised. Many people whom had never seen women's football and would come back to watch.

Since then we've left Valo (for reasons known) and the results have been very concerning. Is it the coaching? The women's football department/structure? Lack of quality players? Or a lack of vision of the long term (based on drip fed funding)? I think a combination of all 4. I have no doubt the coaches are committed and dedicated to their craft and to the team. Otherwise why would they be there. I believe the set up and the 12 month program was looked at by a previous coach (sadly left after his first year) however, I suspect the hierarchy at aufc land delivered a resolute NO to his plan.

The performance of the team can only improve if there is a 12 month program. We need to look at comparative programmes across Australia and build one here that is player focused. The roll on from one season to another season ie WNPL to W-League where a player has a small break at the end of both season and then gets in to the next W League or WNPL season can not be beneficial (mentally and physically) to the players.

I agree with Sportsbird that players ID for W League will need to spend time with the aufc team so that there is a proper pre-season and conditioning program. Will clubs agree? May be some rumblings but which club would sanction or penalise a w league player in their squad? It happened with the SASI/NSL squads albeit some old enough may say than the SASI program did not deliver what a national programme was required to provide. Nevertheless, the players whom elected to play with they clubs on Sunday's could do so.

Moral of the story is that the blame for a lack of success can be laid at the feet of many people however, the conversations about a sound and successful W League programme ought to occur between all parties and with input from the players (potential or current). It's good to see that after al these years Adelaide City (through its players) is supporting the aufc W League team.

Let's hope this is sorted without vilifying people.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Having spoken to a very experienced womens coach (and also having beem a previous team mate of Adrian Stenta), he is absolutely flabbergasted that he got the role.

Minimal (If any) experience in women's football. Did he get the job because he's mates with the boss?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Well, looking at the re-signing of players, it seems nothing has changed. It's true, as much as I thought Adrian Stenta would be his own coach in his own right, he is just a puppet on a string. Same player signings from last season. The only players that stood out this season in the WNPL was Holmes by a mile, Dawber, Hodgson, Condon and maybe McNamara. The remaining signers were not even standouts in the WNPL. What is AU criteria to become an elite player? as I am baffled. Yes, we will be more competitive in 2021, but this is the result of elite players from other W League clubs gone overseas. So don't be fooled should we climb the ladder. The W League will not be same standard as in previous years. The only positive thing that will come out of this is young players getting an opportunity more so than previous years. But this is not the case at AU.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

No. W-league won’t be the same standard as in previous years. But united’s core will be the same. And we will be more competitive. Which is exciting. It’s not about “being fooled”. It’s about an opportunity for these girls to show the other states that they’re competitive when the financials are all on the same level. The clubs are all on pretty equal footing in funding their women’s teams, with limited access to internationals. I call that exciting.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Interesting adjectives used to describe people. Puppets

My 2 dollars worth, I never blame the people in charge of AUFC W teams. They can only do what they can, They are restricted by money the AUFC sends their way. Over the most few years I have observed the AUFC W and whilst the pay equity, raised a while back by a brave person, was an issue this has somewhat been rectified. Thank you to whom, spoke up.

The results and performances are a concern and we seem to be replicating what has occurred year after year and expecting a different result. IS this because of a lack of $$$ or a reluctance by AUFC to approve what the coaches/manager of the W League team require to revamp the program. I do know someone tried but it was knocked on the head. The person examined what the better states were doing (apart from recruiting stars) and knew that a revamp was required. Good foresight however, it lasted all but one or two weeks. To me, at that time the focus was for the Y and A league teams. Nothing then and since has convinced me otherwise.

As a former team manager, I saw at close hand the hard work the players at WNPL put in. I saw at close hand what a W league player had to sacrifice and endure to get on the pitch. Sacrifices is not a too dramatic word to sue. Sacrifice for little $$ however, the level of commitment was extraordinary. I would say each and every player on the list gave a lot. Especially our local layers.

All I ask is that our W League team is afforded the respect and commitment towards building a centre of excellence. That consideration is given to planning a 12 month program (with WNPL support) for our local players. Consideration needs to be given to managing our players to ensure they deliver peak performance. The 12 month rolling WNPL W League season is not sustainable for our local players and will result in fatigue and injuries and over use. It is inevitable.

That's my considered over view

Thank you

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

juniorsupporter wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm No. W-league won’t be the same standard as in previous years. But united’s core will be the same. And we will be more competitive. Which is exciting. It’s not about “being fooled”. It’s about an opportunity for these girls to show the other states that they’re competitive when the financials are all on the same level. The clubs are all on pretty equal footing in funding their women’s teams, with limited access to internationals. I call that exciting.
Junior Supporter
How can you say the standard will be the same when you have the following players overseas or injured as per below.
Emma checker
Alex Chidiak
Jenna McCormick
Kyah Simon
Mary Fowler
Ellie Carpenter
Katrina Gorry
Clare Polkinhorne
Mackenzie Arnold
Hayley Raso
Caitland Ford
Lydia Williams
Steph Catley
Chloe Logarzo
Sam Kerr
Amy Harrison
Kyah Simon
Emily Gielnik
Elise Kellond Knight
Tameka Butt
Aivi Luik
Alana Kennedy
Emily Van Egmond
Lisa De Vanna
Jacynta Galabadaarachichi
Karly Roestbakken
Isobel Dalton
Ella Mastrantonio
Nikola Orgill
Teagan Micah
Tameka Yallop
Do not understand your theory especially to say the clubs are on equal funding. One thing I do agree is that it will be exciting for the new players getting an opportunity than previously.
In conclusion, I believe the W League will be significantly affected by the Australians abroad and it will lower the standard.
If I was playing right now in the W League, I would want to play against the best players in the competition. At the moment that will not exist in 2021 until they return.
Therefore, the FFA should consider changing the W League competition to accommodate the players overseas.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I believe I said that it wouldn’t be the same. It will be different. I think it will be more competitive as a competition. I see that as an opportunity for Adelaide United.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

We can’t even get a full home/away schedule. Players won’t come back until the WLeague is fully professional. I don’t see that happening for a long time, if ever.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Riggles64 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 pm Interesting adjectives used to describe people. Puppets

My 2 dollars worth, I never blame the people in charge of AUFC W teams. They can only do what they can, They are restricted by money the AUFC sends their way. Over the most few years I have observed the AUFC W and whilst the pay equity, raised a while back by a brave person, was an issue this has somewhat been rectified. Thank you to whom, spoke up.

The results and performances are a concern and we seem to be replicating what has occurred year after year and expecting a different result. IS this because of a lack of $$$ or a reluctance by AUFC to approve what the coaches/manager of the W League team require to revamp the program. I do know someone tried but it was knocked on the head. The person examined what the better states were doing (apart from recruiting stars) and knew that a revamp was required. Good foresight however, it lasted all but one or two weeks. To me, at that time the focus was for the Y and A league teams. Nothing then and since has convinced me otherwise.

As a former team manager, I saw at close hand the hard work the players at WNPL put in. I saw at close hand what a W league player had to sacrifice and endure to get on the pitch. Sacrifices is not a too dramatic word to sue. Sacrifice for little $$ however, the level of commitment was extraordinary. I would say each and every player on the list gave a lot. Especially our local layers.

All I ask is that our W League team is afforded the respect and commitment towards building a centre of excellence. That consideration is given to planning a 12 month program (with WNPL support) for our local players. Consideration needs to be given to managing our players to ensure they deliver peak performance. The 12 month rolling WNPL W League season is not sustainable for our local players and will result in fatigue and injuries and over use. It is inevitable.

That's my considered over view

Thank you
As per your comment on pay equity. Are you suggesting that AU W players should be on the same money as AU players?