Season 2020

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Season 2020

Post by Riggles64 »

Good luck to all the teams in the WNPL and all women and girls teams in the re-boot of season 2020. I'm looking forward to seeing the talented players out there week in week out playing the Beautiful Game. May not have the high media profile; the talent and skill on show leaves many sports in their shadow.

Judging by comments around the place, it sounds like the players have done very well to keep their fitness at the appropriate level and are eager to recommence.

As they say in the classics, you don't really appreciate something until it's gone. Bring on season 2020 MKII.

Keep safe.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Season 2020

Post by Mr Red »

Metro have gone backwards and Inter appear to be improving every time I see them play.

Has one of the WNPL coaches pulled the plug?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Yes. A WNPL coach has pulled the plug.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

juniorsupporter wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 pm Yes. A WNPL coach has pulled the plug.
Which club?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Max gone from City. Conflicting reasons

Manton Street Tribe tweet states that the club has cited personal reasons for his resignation. Adelaide now states difference of opinion. Put the two together and you get "Max has resigned from his coaching position citing a difference of opinions that were inconsistent with what the club expects at the senior level"

City would surely have known prior to his appointment that Max's philosophy and training regime differed quite markedly with what the 3 predecessors had installed. Successes to date are the result of the work done post Eduardo. Did City no know Max's track record at Fulham/State and if so, why was he appointed and why therefore, is there a differing viewpoint now? Max does do things his way and maybe that is one reason for the exit.

Friday night's at the games, is always a good place for the latest news about club land. Some fanciful. Some are a result of unfounded rumour. And some close to the mark. Friday night was no exception, some were shocked and some believed that it was inevitable. Max is a no nonsense bloke whom I suspect had more to prove at senior level however, was it his fault City appointed him? Was there no one else that applied to coach City?

For what it’s worth, the seeds of doubt and discontent started right at the time he was appointed. That’s not fair for Max. If player power is to blame then that’s something City needs to address because anyone whom is appointed from here on needs to be endorsed by the playing group. This is dangerous ground.

Irrespective of the truth, a good bloke has left the game.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

Player power is a difficult issue to manage. Sometimes its justified. Often its not. There is always a ringleader and it requires strong leadership to weed them out of the player group.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I agree Brewie. It's all good whilst the team continues to win however, as we have seen in past seasons, all it takes is an event that results in players exiting and it all falls flat. The only constant is the leadership of the club, committee and coaching panel.

If players are the catalyst here then I suspect that they will possibly exert pressure when there is something else that they don't like. City have been fortunate with 3 excellent coaches whom have delivered sustained success and that the team doesn't want to risk this. I would say that they have had the right intentions however, did Max get a fair go.? If the club wants another Pezos or Calderbank they will need to spend big $$$$. From what I hear City's finances for the women has suffered a huge dent and that there isn't the cash to pay big wages for players and coaches.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

the standard has been very average this season I dont know if it is because of the the interrupted season or not, you would think being wnpl players they would step it once it got going.
From the few matches I have watched Adelaide City and West Adelaide have been the best teams, and you are Salis inter trying to buy a premiership ? all the good skill players they have, still resort to play long balls to a striker that opposition teams never mark, why is that ?
From my view for what it worth,
I hope as the season progresses the standard improves and the team playing the better football and not the team who kick it long to the strikers wins .
on good note I am enjoying being able to watch the games on you tube, good initiative - I wonder how many coaches do the same ?

Kranker
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kranker »

billy the kid wrote:From what I hear City's finances for the women has suffered a huge dent and that there isn't the cash to pay big wages for players and coaches.
Are WNPL players paid? Where does the money come from to pay them?

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Many clubs pay players, but not all.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Like all players across NPL and WNPL, the City women have take a drastic pay cut. From what I understand, the men and women had their pay cut by the same percentage.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

As with most things do not always believe what you hear especially on game day. Anyway, it's so good to be discussing payments to players etc. It's come along way and despite what the men's comp is enduring with respect to payments, it is good to read from Junior that there is equity in pay cuts.

The status quo should prevail and payments (in some form) should continue. I will not and have not accepted the argument from those committee bods whom have refused to accept women receiving payments. The aged old argument of "what revenue do they bring in at the gates etc is nonsensical". I have always asked, "do the gate taking, bar, and sausage sizzle on game day cover player payments for the day?" In variably they do not (for some/most clubs). The senior men payments are always propped up by juniors and women/girls. Always. So it is only equitable that the women receive some remuneration.

We had the ludicrous situation a few years ago when AUFC women (most) were receiving little or NIL payments for committing to many hours a week training and playing. Maybe the star visa and interstate players were receiving a decent pay most of the local contingent received zero. Anyone who spoke out about this situation were probably sent packing.

You want to see people playing for the love of the game? Well some. Then get to the WNPL matches.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Why do people think they should be paid for doing something that generates no income nor provides a service and even paid in excess of the little revenue they do generate.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

The men also get paid in excess of the revenue they generate. The men and the women are performing the same job, putting in the same hours and commitment. They should be paid.

I can't believe someone even thinks this is debatable.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

N5 1BH wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 am Why do people think they should be paid for doing something that generates no income nor provides a service and even paid in excess of the little revenue they do generate.
Income, revenue...which is it? You're confusing me and probably yourself.

Income
- Gate receipts (yes shock horror the women's game generates good takings)
- Bar & food takings (which unfortunately go to FSA who have centralised the venue)
- Female-specific sponsorship (because some sponsors prefer their funding going specifically to one side of the game, much like you and your views)
- Broadcast rights (WNPL games are viewed internationally for gambling and scouting purposes but again FSA have not shared with any club the income from the asset)

Service
- every player plays a game weekly that goes for 90 mins (that seems equitable to me)
- each WNPL club has players that coach within their junior structure and school holiday clinics
- each WNPL club has players that are required to promote the game at FSA / community events
- by virtue of these players sacrificing other work & activities, it allows their club to sustain a WNPL profile and attract juniors to their club which in turn allows them to generate reg fees that are on average higher than non-WNPL clubs

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Lucas Leiva wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm
N5 1BH wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 am Why do people think they should be paid for doing something that generates no income nor provides a service and even paid in excess of the little revenue they do generate.
Income, revenue...which is it? You're confusing me and probably yourself.

Income (I think you mean revenue)
- Gate receipts (yes shock horror the women's game generates good takings)
- Bar & food takings (which unfortunately go to FSA who have centralised the venue)
- Female-specific sponsorship (because some sponsors prefer their funding going specifically to one side of the game, much like you and your views)(I haven’t expressed a view never mind a female-specific view)
- Broadcast rights (WNPL games are viewed internationally for gambling and scouting purposes but again FSA have not shared with any club the income from the asset)

Service
- every player plays a game weekly that goes for 90 mins (that seems equitable to me)
- each WNPL club has players that coach within their junior structure and school holiday clinics
- each WNPL club has players that are required to promote the game at FSA / community events
- by virtue of these players sacrificing other work & activities, it allows their club to sustain a WNPL profile and attract juniors to their club which in turn allows them to generate reg fees that are on average higher than non-WNPL clubs
So you can confirm that the WNPL comp generates enough revenue to cover all player payments ? and may I ask, do the clubs invest the remaining income into junior development ?

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Would there be one club where the wnpl team get paid more than the men's team ?

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

There seems to be the assumption that teams who don't pay do this due to some inequity or sexism.

The reality is one WNPL club which also has a senior means teams pay neither team.
This is due to their constitution not allowing for this to occur.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Baggio I think you've supported the argument in the question you ask: Inequity and sexism. To remunerate and not the other is inequitable.

The other long standing and stupid discussion is about self sufficiency (gate takings etc). no one team gets enough through those means to pay its over paid npl (all divisions) players.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

billy the kid wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 am Baggio I think you've supported the argument in the question you ask: Inequity and sexism. To remunerate and not the other is inequitable.

The other long standing and stupid discussion is about self sufficiency (gate takings etc). no one team gets enough through those means to pay its over paid npl (all divisions) players.
I'm not making an argument, just stating that a WNPL club doesn't pay their team, nor do they pay their men's equivalent.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ok, so how many clubs have been set up (as in originated) and funded by women in the NPL?

I'd suggest none.

Yes plenty are involved, do great work in admin, running clubs and all sorts of duties needed to run clubs, but how many actually started up their own football club with all that goes with it?

So here's what you can do if the pay is not good or "equitable" enough.

Set up and run a club on your own merits. Get a ground, get adequate facilities, set up a constitution, put together a senior squad, run juniors from Miniroos through to U/17's, get sponsors, get volunteers to run things (unless you are rich and lucky enough to pay some), organize functions and fundraisers, charge what you think is a fair price for spectators to come and watch, and feel free to invite boys/men's teams to the club later on.

Then you, as a club, can determine what wages are available to pay the players, but let me warn you about expenditure such as cost to maintain facilities, register players, insurance, utilities, fines, pay refs, update equipment, kits etc etc.

What you have in the bank is what you can distribute to the players in payments.

I'd suggest it might be better to work with what you have and understand that the woman's game is still very much in development stage and still needs mountains to climb to command some of the "wages" available to the men's senior leagues which has been around for donkey's years.

A lot pf progress is being made by many, and FSA have done a great job in this area when promoting the women's game, but we need some perspective about where its at at this point in time. Work together and slowly you'll get better outcomes. Demand too soon, and you only put things at greater risk.
Ignore this signature

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Bomber wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 pm Ok, so how many clubs have been set up (as in originated) and funded by women in the NPL?

I'd suggest none.

Yes plenty are involved, do great work in admin, running clubs and all sorts of duties needed to run clubs, but how many actually started up their own football club with all that goes with it?

Set up and run a club on your own merits. Get a ground, get adequate facilities, set up a constitution, put together a senior squad, run juniors from Miniroos through to U/17's, get sponsors, get volunteers to run things (unless you are rich and lucky enough to pay some), organize functions and fundraisers, charge what you think is a fair price for spectators to come and watch, and feel free to invite boys/men's teams to the club later on.

Then you, as a club, can determine what wages are available to pay the players, but let me warn you about expenditure such as cost to maintain facilities, register players, insurance, utilities, fines, pay refs, update equipment, kits etc etc.

What you have in the bank is what you can distribute to the players in payments.

I'd suggest it might be better to work with what you have and understand that the woman's game is still very much in development stage and still needs mountains to climb to command some of the "wages" available to the men's senior leagues which has been around for donkey's years.

A lot pf progress is being made by many, and FSA have done a great job in this area when promoting the women's game, but we need some perspective about where its at at this point in time. Work together and slowly you'll get better outcomes. Demand too soon, and you only put things at greater risk.
You've pretty much just described Metro United

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

nathanburns15 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Bomber wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 pm Ok, so how many clubs have been set up (as in originated) and funded by women in the NPL?

I'd suggest none.

If that's the case, then let them be the test case or role model to base things on. Do they get paid well?
Ignore this signature

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Bomber wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:42 pm
nathanburns15 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I'd suggest none.

If that's the case, then let them be the test case or role model to base things on. Do they get paid well?
Truthfully I'm not sure. But the gap financially is starting to widen from clubs who are supported financially by the team's that have men's team's.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

billy the kid wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:20 am Max gone from City. Conflicting reasons

Manton Street Tribe tweet states that the club has cited personal reasons for his resignation. Adelaide now states difference of opinion. Put the two together and you get "Max has resigned from his coaching position citing a difference of opinions that were inconsistent with what the club expects at the senior level"

City would surely have known prior to his appointment that Max's philosophy and training regime differed quite markedly with what the 3 predecessors had installed. Successes to date are the result of the work done post Eduardo. Did City no know Max's track record at Fulham/State and if so, why was he appointed and why therefore, is there a differing viewpoint now? Max does do things his way and maybe that is one reason for the exit.

Friday night's at the games, is always a good place for the latest news about club land. Some fanciful. Some are a result of unfounded rumour. And some close to the mark. Friday night was no exception, some were shocked and some believed that it was inevitable. Max is a no nonsense bloke whom I suspect had more to prove at senior level however, was it his fault City appointed him? Was there no one else that applied to coach City?

For what it’s worth, the seeds of doubt and discontent started right at the time he was appointed. That’s not fair for Max. If player power is to blame then that’s something City needs to address because anyone whom is appointed from here on needs to be endorsed by the playing group. This is dangerous ground.

Max had no choice but to resign because of certain players currently playing at Adelaide united forced him out with the help of outsiders. These players should be ashamed of themselves and the committee of Adel City involved in the resignation of Max should be held accountable for their ridiculous decision. Currently these players are allegedly being coached, instructed, advised call it what you like by the now so called head of women's football during the WNPL season. The AU head coach was not happy with Max's style of coaching and allegedly planted the seed to have him ousted.
Well, whoever takes over the role of Adel City head coach, be prepared to be a puppet on a string. Adel United will be making the decisions for you.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I've heard the same thing. I believe the discontent started right from when he was appointed. If the standard has been set and player power prevails then you've got to be prepared for what comes next. The anger or disapproval should not be directed at Max. He didn't appoint himself to the job.

Interesting comment about AUFC. City have never supported SASI or state as they believed that they (as a whole club) were destined to go back into the NSL. They then held that any national aspiration should be satisfied from within. They were never a friend of AUFC. Just show you never believe what you see or hear.

Good luck to Max. A dose of humility at City may go a long was.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:23 am
billy the kid wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:20 am Max gone from City. Conflicting reasons

Max had no choice but to resign because of certain players currently playing at Adelaide united forced him out with the help of outsiders. These players should be ashamed of themselves and the committee of Adel City involved in the resignation of Max should be held accountable for their ridiculous decision. Currently these players are allegedly being coached, instructed, advised call it what you like by the now so called head of women's football during the WNPL season. The AU head coach was not happy with Max's style of coaching and allegedly planted the seed to have him ousted.
Well, whoever takes over the role of Adel City head coach, be prepared to be a puppet on a string. Adel United will be making the decisions for you.
Here we go...

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Please enlighten us Nathan?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Another Sportsbird post about Ivan. Impressive he/she managed to blame him for this one though

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Old news. Time to move on.