Laws-of-the-Game Board (I.F.A.B.) 29 Feb 2020 AGM

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Laws-of-the-Game Board (I.F.A.B.) 29 Feb 2020 AGM

Post by Con M »

Interesting topics to be discussed by the Laws Board on Sat 29 Feb in N.Ireland include:

* allowing concussion subs during the 3-minute assessment period and even after if a player is affected and cannot carry on. This will be beyond the 3 subs currently allowed. A trial is being proposed to be carried out in England;

* Tweaking of VAR (of course) and discussion of whether refs should have the final say;

* play fair initiative to further improve player behaviour & increase respect;

* work to improve public understanding of the Laws.

Nice One Cyril Knowles, I wonder what your thoughts are on Arsenal Wenger being on IFAB’s football and technical advisory panels. And your thoughts on him wanting to see the Premier League end its resistance to the use of pitchside VAR monitors.

BTW, unfortunately for me I expect The Normal One to sneer “interesting to you and nobody else” like he did a year ago when I put the 133rd IFAB AGM up for discussion. He then had to embarrassingly back down after quite a few forumites gave their thoughts on the changes.

He even contributed himself with a valid view on substituted players leaving at the nearest touchline. That showed he can discuss issues occasionally rather than revert to his default position firstly of personal jibes at forumites. More’s the pity that default position persists.
Last edited by Con M on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Laws-of-the-Game Board (I.F.A.B.) 29 Feb 2020 AGM

Post by Inoue Waka »

Still no more discussion on four points for a win?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:Interesting topics to be discussed by the Laws Board on Sat 29 Feb in N.Ireland include:

* allowing concussion subs during the 3-minute assessment period and even after if a player is affected and cannot carry on. This will be beyond the 3 subs currently allowed. A trial is being proposed to be carried out in England;

* Tweaking of VAR (of course) and discussion of whether refs should have the final say;

Nice One Cyril Knowles, I wonder what your thoughts are on Arsenal Wenger being on IFAB’s football and technical advisory panels. And your thoughts on him wanting to see the Premier League end its resistance to the use of pitchside VAR monitors.

BTW, unfortunately for me I expect The Normal One to sneer “interesting to you and nobody else” like he did a year ago when I put the 133rd IFAB AGM up for discussion. He then had to embarrassingly back down after quite a few forumites gave their thoughts on the changes.

He even contributed himself with a valid view on substituted players leaving at the nearest touchline. That showed he can discuss issues occasionally rather than revert to his default position firstly of personal jibes at forumites. More’s the pity that default position persists.

Con I think the issue of players behaviour is a big one , as football sadly lags behind a number of codes in the respect showed towards officials . I believe that FIFA has failed badly in this area . I hate the when players surround the ref attempt to pressure the referee . Plus when players get in the referees face brandishing imaginary cards , wen an incident occurs.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:
Con M wrote:Interesting topics to be discussed by the Laws Board on Sat 29 Feb in N.Ireland include:

Con I think the issue of players behaviour is a big one , as football sadly lags behind a number of codes in the respect showed towards officials . I believe that FIFA has failed badly in this area . I hate the when players surround the ref attempt to pressure the referee . Plus when players get in the referees face brandishing imaginary cards , wen an incident occurs.
When did players last surround a ref?
It may happen, it is rare and not an issue anymore.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The Normal One. wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

When did players last surround a ref?
It may happen, it is rare and not an issue anymore.
You got to be joking player behaviour towards officials is still not acceptable .

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
You got to be joking player behaviour towards officials is still not acceptable .
As I said, do players often surround the ref anymore?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The Normal One. wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Yes .

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

ozzie owl wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Yes .
serie a happens all the time
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Yes .

Your own club did it just a few weeks ago.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:

You are always right, but when - I have a failing memory and don't recall it?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The Normal One. wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Not sure when but I think it was against Newcastle. :?:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Not sure when but I think it was against Newcastle. :?:
I went to that game in Septmber and it certainly didn't happen then - even when we were denied a clear cut penalty.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M one for you to consider.

Wenger has come up with an idea to overcome the VAR off-side debate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... chaos.html

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Will it remove the problem or will it just move it back to the other side of the body. May even make it worse with line of sight being more obscured. The problem, which will remain is var has made the margin for error ridiculously small for real time sport.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Concussion subs - sensible idea but would need to be strictly controlled or some teams will abuse it.

VAR - it's here, get over it, but there should only ever be one referee for the subjective decisions and I hate the re-refereeing of games. I'm happy for VAR to rule on offside (although I'd like it simplified to speed decisions up), but for everything else the ref should be looking at the monitor and making his own mind up.

I really don't understand why the leagues don't adopt the rugby attitude to players abusing them. Only the captain is allowed to ask politely and he must accept the ref's explanation. It's been said many a time, but if refs booked players instantly for abuse, it would stop very quickly.

If Joe Public cannot work out the LOTG for himself, he's almost certainly one of the Man United or Chelsea plastics. shiraz 'em.

And, regarding Wenger, I only disliked him when he was working at the Library. He's a good manager and rather more cerebral than the average football manager but, just for clarification, I still hate the Goons : :lol: wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

I agree NOC on the concussion sub, could be open to abuse.