AFC U-23 Championship

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

AFC U-23 Championship

Post by eagleboy »

Australia's U-23 men's national football team take on Iraq U-23 as they begin their AFC U-23 Championship tonight.

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/live ... ampionship

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AFC U-23 Championship

Post by eagleboy »

The game ended 1:1 with Iraq equalising at about 75 minute. Touré played a full game but was poorly serviced. To that point he seems so slow and his positioning is poor. Not the same player as earlier this year. Maybe Arnie can get improvement out of him.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote:The game ended 1:1 with Iraq equalising at about 75 minute. Touré played a full game but was poorly serviced. To that point he seems so slow and his positioning is poor. Not the same player as earlier this year. Maybe Arnie can get improvement out of him.
Scary result. Only 3 Asian Nations qualify for the Olympics in Japan. So important our Country makes it to raise the profile of the sport amongst mainstream (AFL& NRL-supporting) Aussies who have only a passing casual interest. Added bonus is the Olympics Finals are in a viewer-friendly time zone with Japan.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Con M wrote:
eagleboy wrote:The game ended 1:1 with Iraq equalising at about 75 minute. Touré played a full game but was poorly serviced. To that point he seems so slow and his positioning is poor. Not the same player as earlier this year. Maybe Arnie can get improvement out of him.
Scary result. Only 3 Asian Nations qualify for the Olympics in Japan. So important our Country makes it to raise the profile of the sport amongst mainstream (AFL& NRL-supporting) Aussies who have only a passing casual interest. Added bonus is the Olympics Finals are in a viewer-friendly time zone with Japan.
Arent the matildas in the olympics, they get more exposure than the u23s.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The Ollyroos will be very lucky to not to finish bottom of their group considering their best four players are banned for what was nothing more than a stupid bit of sangiovese play. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Thailand won 5:0. They may be our main danger at home.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote:Thailand won 5:0. They may be our main danger at home.
Yep, skilful Thailand are at home and on a high. Lose that and it may be curtains.

Fox showing the game live on Ch 507 @ 11.40pm ADELAIDE time Sat Jan 11.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Phew! Stayin’ alive with a 2-1 win over host nation Thailand.

Now for Bahrain next and hopefully on to a quarter final spot.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:
eagleboy wrote:Thailand won 5:0. They may be our main danger at home.
Yep, skilful Thailand are at home and on a high. Lose that and it may be curtains.

Fox showing the game live on Ch 507 @ 11.40pm ADELAIDE time Sat Jan 11.
Thanks for that. Never realised that Fox were showing it. Readied my computer to watch. Good to have Simon Hill commentate. He's the best.

Aussies on the back foot all 1st half and scored against the run of play. Some massive defensive mistake that should have cost us. Deng as captain included. The second half much better as we got on top and could have scored more. Touré goal disallowed because of handball earlier on VAR. His game when he came on was better than last game. Thought it strange Arnie made 6 changes to side from the previous game but the rotation may prove good in the next match.

https://youtu.be/6A4-EAtL0c8

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bahrain versus Australia on Fox Ch 505 @ 11.30pm, Tuesday 14 Jan 2020.

Current standings are:

OZ 4 points (+1 Goal Diff);

Thailand 3 points (+4);

Iraq 2 points (0);

Bahrain 1 point (-5).

Only 3 Nations out of this 16-Nation series will make it to the 2020 Tokyo/Japan Olympics Tournament. It would have been 4 Nations had Japan qualified but they sit bottom of their Group and are out.

IMO it’s absolutely shocking that the 2020 Olympics host was not given an automatic spot as is done in World Cups! I don’t know which authority is responsible (the IOF or AFC), but it is disgraceful since in many Olympics the Football Tournament sells more tickets than all the other sports.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:Bahrain versus Australia on Fox Ch 505 @ 11.30pm, Tuesday 14 Jan 2020.

Current standings are:

Thailand 3 points (+4);

Iraq 2 points (0);

Bahrain 1 point (-5).

Only 3 Nations out of this 16-Nation series will make it to the 2020 Tokyo/Japan Olympics Tournament. It would have been 4 Nations had Japan qualified but they sit bottom of their Group and are out.

IMO it’s absolutely shocking that the 2020 Olympics host was not given an automatic spot as is done in World Cups! I don’t know which authority is responsible (the IOF or AFC), but it is disgraceful since in many Olympics the Football Tournament sells more tickets than all the other sports.
I think your wrong about Japan. AS host they have automatic qualification. The top 3 sides from this tournament also qualify.
https://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/teams/

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Tonight's match will be tough. I watched the highlights of Bahrain losing big loss against Thailand. FWIW they looked like they dominate and were hit badly on the counter. Against Iraq they were unlucky not to win.

Go Aussie.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

eagleboy wrote:
Con M wrote:Bahrain versus Australia on Fox Ch 505 @ 11.30pm, Tuesday 14 Jan 2020.

Current standings are:

Thailand 3 points (+4);

Iraq 2 points (0);

Bahrain 1 point (-5).

I think your wrong about Japan. AS host they have automatic qualification. The top 3 sides from this tournament also qualify.
https://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/teams/
Hell, thank goodness you’re right. I definitely read a report that said 4 teams from Asia will qualify if Japan is one of them, only 3 if Japan doesn’t.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bahrain v Australia 1-1. Australia topped the Group and a now into the Quarter Finals.

Get past either Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Syria and they’re definitely a chance of being at the main table of the Tokyo/Japan Olympics later this year.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:Bahrain v Australia 1-1. Australia topped the Group and a now into the Quarter Finals.

Get past either Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Syria and they’re definitely a chance of being at the main table of the Tokyo/Japan Olympics later this year.
The standard of play in by all our group was poor. Our defense makes continual mistakes and have been lucky not to get punished. Touré seems to be running on the spot. I'm disappointed how he has progressed.
I hope we can lift our game in the Knock-out stages. Not sure who of Saudi Arabia, Qatar or Syria I would want to play. This looked a tough group with Japan knocked out.

Simon Hill mentioned we play the Knock-out in Bangkok but I notice the AFC website says we stay at the Thammasat Stadium (Pathum Thani). That pitch didn't look to good. They may want Thailand playing in the capital.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Even Arnie said they were inconsistent and outplayed too easily and need to improve to stand a chance of making the Olympics.

I hope he lobbies the FFA to reduce the sentences of the Four, as they rarely looked a consistent team without them.

McGree would have been a sensation in this tournament and they would have qualified much easier with other three lads as well.

Come on FFA - admit you got it wrong by punishing the whole squad for a bit of ji-jinks by the Four - no actual 'crime' was committed after all.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Old Master wrote:Even Arnie said they were inconsistent and outplayed too easily and need to improve to stand a chance of making the Olympics.

I hope he lobbies the FFA to reduce the sentences of the Four, as they rarely looked a consistent team without them.

McGree would have been a sensation in this tournament and they would have qualified much easier with other three lads as well.

Come on FFA - admit you got it wrong by punishing the whole squad for a bit of ji-jinks by the Four - no actual 'crime' was committed after all.

Lesbian Mafia - says NO!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Con M wrote:Bahrain v Australia 1-1. Australia topped the Group and a now into the Quarter Finals.

saw highlights of this game on the news - did anyone see the wall for the Bahrain free kick which they scored from ? our defender on the end who would normally cover the post was poorly positioned - the guy taking the free kick had about half a metre of goal to shoot at, between the defender and the post - is that the keepers fault or did the wall move across too far ?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

In the way wrote:

saw highlights of this game on the news - did anyone see the wall for the Bahrain free kick which they scored from ? our defender on the end who would normally cover the post was poorly positioned - the guy taking the free kick had about half a metre of goal to shoot at, between the defender and the post - is that the keepers fault or did the wall move across too far ?
I thought the same during the game. I would have thought all the players would have been back in defense in the last minute. The GK should have easily seen that gap.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

eagleboy wrote:
In the way wrote:

I thought the same during the game. I would have thought all the players would have been back in defense in the last minute. The GK should have easily seen that gap.
Sometimes that happens when a team panics or is under pressure we overlook the simple basic things, I would've thought even having one of our players standing behind their guy taking the free kick would have seen the gap straight away and alerted his team mates.
I am sure ( would hope ) the aussie players and coaching staff have seen the video and it will be rectified.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Australia v Syria in Quarter Finals.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote:Australia v Syria in Quarter Finals.

I can't really see this squad beating Syria as they have had so much more time together and are almost like a club side, Australia as usual, have hardly any chance to gel as a unit and are without four of their best players.

I hope they do win though as i'd love to see Aus at the Olympics again.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Australia v Syria in Quarter Finals.

I can't really see this squad beating Syria as they have had so much more time together and are almost like a club side, Australia as usual, have hardly any chance to gel as a unit and are without four of their best players.

I hope they do win though as i'd love to see Aus at the Olympics again.
Don't worry if Australia does lose Grosso will on here posting within a nano second of the final whistle.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

This is it! Do or die. Knockout Quarterfinal, Australia versus Syria 11.30pm Saturday 18 January 2020. Will be shown live on Fox Ch 506.

Get through this and Australia is in with a huge chance to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo/Japan Olympic Games.

jimmy2014
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by jimmy2014 »

It's an insipid line-up.
The Jellyroos line-up reflects the problems we have developing Australian talent, with tired Visa players flooding the A league and commentators talking up young players who are awful.
The future is not bright.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

1-0 win to Australia! Toure with the goal during extra time.

Onward to the semis and hopefully another win to get to the 2020 Tokyo/Japan Olympics.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:1-0 win to Australia! Toure with the goal during extra time.

Onward to the semis and hopefully another win to get to the 2020 Tokyo/Japan Olympics.
Great result and good see Toure continuing to score .

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

We probably have the toughest semi final. Australia will face the winner of Sunday's quarter-final between South Korea and Jordan. Lose and we can still get through on 3rd place playoff.
I believe we will win. Touré's goal was class even though he didn't do much while he was on. Our midfield needs to get the ball to the forwards a lot better. The Syrian GK did not have much to do although what he done (apart from goal) was good.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

So its Australia v Korea Republic in SF. Probably the toughest team we have to face. WE can win as long as we stop some of our defensive mistakes.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

eagleboy wrote:We probably have the toughest semi final. Australia will face the winner of Sunday's quarter-final between South Korea and Jordan. Lose and we can still get through on 3rd place playoff.
I believe we will win. Touré's goal was class even though he didn't do much while he was on. Our midfield needs to get the ball to the forwards a lot better. The Syrian GK did not have much to do although what he done (apart from goal) was good.

Toure really needs to be given balls to run on to like Leicester's Vardy, and then he can use his explosive pace and strength to its best advantage.
He's OK with his back to goal in the box but not in the middle of the park - he's front row striker not a midfielder.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details