Pim Verbeek passes away, aged 63

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Pim Verbeek passes away, aged 63

Post by Michael »

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... 53296ee2e2
Former Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek sadly lost his battle with cancer and died on Thursday at the age of 63.

News of his death rocked the Australian football community with many left unable to comprehend how he could be taken so soon.

Verbeek took over the helm of the Socceroos in December, 2007 and lead the squad into the 2010 World Cup, becoming the second country to qualify for the tournament (behind the host nation).

Australia finished the group stage under Verbeek on four points, but failed to progress and Verbeek’s time in charge came to an end shortly after.

The reaction to his passing left those who had met him with heavy hearts, saddened over the passing of a great man.

Mark Schwarzer, who played in every game of the 2010 World Cup under Verbeek posted a heartfelt tribute on Twitter to mark the passing of the Dutchman. “Very sad and heartbreaking news today of Pim Verbeek’s passing,” Schwarzer wrote.

“He was an amazing human being, a true gentleman with an infectious smile. Someone I have had the privilege to call a friend. You will never be forgotten. My condolences to the Verbeek family.”

Verbeek began his coaching career with Dutch giants Feyenoord in 1989, followed by spells with Groningen and Fortuna Sittard.

He then moved to Japan to become head coach of Omiya Ardija before linking up with Hiddink in South Korea.

Verbeek returned to Seoul after the 2006 World Cup to become head coach, and led South Korea to third place at the Asian Cup in 2007 before stepping down. After leaving the Socceroos Verbeek spent the next four years managing Morocco’s Under-23 team.

His final job in the game came in 2016 as the coach of Oman. Verbeek picked up his first trophy as a coach, winning the 2017-18 Gulf Cup title.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Pim Verbeek passes away, aged 63

Post by ozzie owl »

Very sad news RIP.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Lost his battle with cancer, sadly RIP

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Very sad news, the press here never gave him a fair go, as can be seen by the tributes flowing in from Arnold, Holland & Co..
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details