AUWFC season 2019-2020

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: AUWFC season 2019-2020

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:
KRO wrote:The major downfall of this thread is that assertions have been made by SB regarding the contracting of injured players to the exclusion of presumably fit and otherwise comparable players. In itself this is a reasonable basis for complaint given the short season etc.

What is very unreasonable is the shade that this "opinion" puts on all the squad because of its vagueness.

Hence my question to SB - which will be repeated - who are these injured players that have taken up scarce playing contracts? Put up or...
KRO, I am confused. Some people on this forum attack me for naming players and now you would like me to name them. hmm, you cant win.
What I can tell you it's an interstate defender, GK and a local midfielder. More to come if certain players are given contracts.
One injury prone player who was carrying an injury prior to being contracted for the last two seasons was not offered this coming 2019-2020 season. Two years an injured player has taken up a spot from a fit player. When will he understand that he cannot offer contracts to players suspected of carrying injuries with such a short season.
Injured GK?
Hmmm, keep an eye on this one, I’m sure Ivan will be at fault some how.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

There is a lot of time on between seasons to get things right. So I'd think most of the AUFC-W or detractors do have an expectation that things will change. For the better and results commensurate with good planning. Results (yep. Premiership and finals ARE A GOOD INDICATOR) is indicative of effort + planning = finals/premiership. Lack of = questions need to be asked.

I suspect SB is someone who has observed/followed/supported/been involved in women's football and is frustrated at the collateral damage that ensues from poor player management and preparation (maybe selection) that equates to performance drop off and we miss the finals. Like it or night finals and a premiership (yes we do deserve it more than another state) adds weight to any extra $$$$$$$$$$ you need to improve the resources for a team. Finals = exposure and validates your programme.

Whether SB is on another planet remains to be seen and whilst I think there may be a personal agenda on his/her part, what he/she says in part makes sense and worth thinking about.

I've followed and been involved in the game for a while and I've seen the collateral damage that incompetence can do to a football player's career. SASI destroyed many more careers than it can lay claim to have assisted. Yet the program was allowed to continue until it was disbanded.

Like it or not SB has raised the anger of many but look at it objectively.

Latsko/Checker/Colapricco/Huerta/Norton to name a few have not returned. Many more I'm sure have joined the exit. If we're luck we may entice Adriana Jones back.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Didn’t Latsko have a serious knee injury this year & has barely played a competitive game since so would have been a gamble for Ivan that if went wrong would have tied up a foreign spot?

Pretty sure she was keen to return to Adelaide.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Latsko's transferred to Sydney FC.

The 2 Finnish players and Amber Brooks are not coming back to the W League. That for me is a huge loss and says a lot about the W League???

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Hey Mers, digressing to a relatively minor point - if the A.U. Women are playing home games @ Azzurri’s Marden Stadium why can’t the Portrush Rd sign mention their next home game v ....... with date and time?

You’re a confident person - say something about that sign that has been eternally advertising ABE v Galaxy for the last few seasons.

IMO enough is enough, that sign is an embarrassment to Azzurri themselves, it’s tenants and the sport in general.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

billy the kid wrote:Latsko's transferred to Sydney FC.

The 2 Finnish players and Amber Brooks are not coming back to the W League. That for me is a huge loss and says a lot about the W League???
Has Latsko played since her injury in last seasons W league?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Con M wrote:Hey Mers, digressing to a relatively minor point - if the A.U. Women are playing home games @ Azzurri’s Marden Stadium why can’t the Portrush Rd sign mention their next home game v ....... with date and time?

You’re a confident person - say something about that sign that has been eternally advertising ABE v Galaxy for the last few seasons.

IMO enough is enough, that sign is an embarrassment to Azzurri themselves, it’s tenants and the sport in general.
:lol: somehow I don’t think ABE give a toss about my opinion Con!

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I agree it’s not good for the W league the Finnish girls not returning, but sure Sam Kerr not returning is a bigger concern.
For one, what are Perth going to do now they can’t just play the ‘Kick it to Sam’ game plan.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Billy the Kid, I’m not sure you’re information on returning players is entirely accurate...

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

G'day

Not my information Junior. On the Net under player transfers for W League 2019/2020. Most of the information there has been confirmed so why not the information I provided?
juniorsupporter wrote:Billy the Kid, I’m not sure you’re information on returning players is entirely accurate...

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Veronica Latsko has signed with Sydney FC. What a huge loss to the club. I am very disappointed as Veronica was a standout player that offered us hope in making the finals last season.
Question must be answered as to the reason why Veronica has chosen not to return to Adelaide United. I can assure you it wasn't money or a job in Sydney. Again, something is not right at United when we cannot retain good quality players. I also find it difficult to understand the latest signing of a local player who has not shown consistency in the WNPL. This player has only accumulated 1 vote in the Sharon Brown medal. I also might add that only three players made the top 25 WNPL player of the year who have been signed with United. Maybe I have missed something here.
More local signings to occur but I believe the coaching staff are waiting on certain players to overcome their injuries. Adelaide United need to sign players that are fit and ready to go for the short season.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:Veronica Latsko has signed with Sydney FC. What a huge loss to the club. I am very disappointed as Veronica was a standout player that offered us hope in making the finals last season.
Question must be answered as to the reason why Veronica has chosen not to return to Adelaide United. I can assure you it wasn't money or a job in Sydney. Again, something is not right at United when we cannot retain good quality players. I also find it difficult to understand the latest signing of a local player who has not shown consistency in the WNPL. This player has only accumulated 1 vote in the Sharon Brown medal. I also might add that only three players made the top 25 WNPL player of the year who have been signed with United. Maybe I have missed something here.
More local signings to occur but I believe the coaching staff are waiting on certain players to overcome their injuries. Adelaide United need to sign players that are fit and ready to go for the short season.
How many competitive games has Latsko played since doing her acl??

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

None. She’s at the end stages of her rehab.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

juniorsupporter wrote:None. She’s at the end stages of her rehab.
Hence AU didn’t take a punt on her, Sydney have.
Criticizing IK for signing ‘injured’ players (one being just called up to the Matilda’s) but then shooting him down for not signing a player that hasn’t played since an act injury 6 months ago on a contract that would include having to pay accommodation ect and tie up a foreign spot shows that Sportsbird has an agenda against Ivan.

What I’d ask is what would she do?
Keep what players, bin what players & bring in what coach?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

well said Paul Merson.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I’m all for different opinions JS, it’s what makes us all love the game, but this is an obvious campaign to discrete Ivan.

Let’s remember, it’s coming from someone hiding behind anonymity too, it takes a lot more courage to put your head on a chopping block than fire shots from the safety of your couch.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Indeed. Veronica didn't choose not to return, she was not resigned because she's still rehabbing an injury. And in the US, they bring players back more quickly, possibly increasing the likelihood if re-injury. So United gave it a pass. And given the signings they've made, I reckon it was a good decision, as wonderful a person and player Veronica is.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I haven’t responded yet, but I will when it is appropriate to do so. All will be revealed. I don’t post rumours.

And Gunny and Fandis are Icelandic, not Finnish.
Last edited by juniorsupporter on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

juniorsupporter wrote:

I haven’t responded yet, but I will when it is appropriate to do so. All will be revealed. I don’t post rumours.
It was confirmed in an Advertiser article on Thursday that Mallory Weber (Utah Royals) has taken the first visa spot.

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
juniorsupporter wrote:

It was confirmed in an Advertiser article on Thursday that Mallory Weber (Utah Royals) has taken the first visa spot.
Anyone know much about Mallory Weber? Wikipedia has her as a forward who has played 55 games since 2016 for the grand total of 1 goal in that time.

I know Wikipedia can be unreliable, but does anyone have insight into the type of player she is. Maybe not a striker as listed?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Brooks back with Reds for 2019/20

Adelaide United is thrilled to announce American defender, Amber Brooks, has re-signed with the Club for the Westfield W-League 2019/20 season.

Brooks will re-join the Club from National Women’s Soccer League outfit, Houston Dash, following an outstanding first season anchoring United’s defence last year.

In her first season in Australia, the 28-year-old was a resolute presence which culminated in her winning the Red’s Westfield W-League 2018/19 Player of the Year award.

The centre-back, who has amassed more than 120 appearances in the American top-flight and received one senior cap for her country, notched three assists while boasting a 75% tackle success rate with Adelaide.

The former Portland Thorns and Seattle Reign defender has also had two separate spells in Germany with Bayern Munich.

Head Coach, Ivan Karlović, was delighted Brooks was back for another season, hailing her experience and leadership qualities.

“From Amber’s first training session with us last season, it was clear that her experience and quality was going to benefit us majorly,” Karlović explained.

“We are delighted that she will be returning to our squad for the new season and I’m certain she will again be a key component to our successes.

“Amber’s ability to help improve those around her cannot be understated and to retain her outstanding leadership both on and off the field is fantastic.”

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Two out of three aint bad. :lol:

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Ben Rath wrote:

Two out of three aint bad. :lol:
Given one of the Icelandics also suffered an ACL post W-League season, it's really only 1 prediction that's correct.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Looking at all the squad lists that appeared on the facebook page recently, I am guessing there will be some last minute inclusions, most teams have only named 13/14 players, surely there is more than that ?
From that list is a few key names missing for different reasons ( Heymann, Kerr, Jones, Chidiac,De Vanna, Fishlock just to name a few )

Looking at the player lists from other clubs, a lot of names I do not recognize, if they are overseas players, or from local WNPL leagues?
Going by that, in this coming season if Adelaide dont make the top 4, they never will, my guess you will have Melb City, Sydney and Melb Vic in the top 3 mix.
Looking at the remaining 4 clubs, WSW, Perth, Canberra, Jets, some of you may have more knowledge than me, i dont recognise any marquee type players in these 4 teams ?
Every pre season we have the same positive hype from all the coaches, either it is, "we are very excited with the players we have recruited', or, "we have some good young players coming through" nothing wrong with those comments. reality is always will be teams who will struggle.
Feel free to add your predictions.

My wish is that all teams continue to play the attractive style that has made W league better to watch than the A league most matches, and that the competition unearths another two or three exciting young local Australian players, otherwise questions will need to be asked.
Enough said :)