AFL 2019

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: AFL 2019

Post by Michael »

@megabonus......

care to ellaborate after the major findings of the Crows review?
The embattled Adelaide Football Club has released the much-anticipated findings of a wide-ranging review, with Head of Football Brett Burton and assistant coach Scott Camporeale axed as a result.

A panel of external experts was appointed to conduct a review last month amid scathing criticism of the club's dispirited end to the season.

In the video above: Adelaide to announce new coach 'within a week'

The club says the review processes found "no single issue" was responsible for the Crows' inconsistent performance, but a number of issues that were "not sufficiently addressed".

The key outcomes, endorsed by the board, are:

A change to the leadership of the football department, with Brett Burton to depart
A change to the coaching structure with Senior Assistant Coach Scott Camporeale also to leave
The creation of a new position, Head of Leadership and Culture, to deliver a new player leadership program across all areas of the football department, including AFL and AFLW
A series of other "minor enhancements"
The club says a series of other minor enhancements will be made across the department consistent with the normal end of year review process.

Crows Chairman Rob Chapman says distractions off and on the field contributed to the club's poor performance and cited Burton and Camporeale's departures as a "great opportunity for change".

“We now have a great opportunity to make new appointments to ensure that we are able to generate the balance and diversity of thought that our players need,” Chapman said.

Chapman also said the club's move toward a younger list was key to the review's findings.

Total revamp
The cuts are the latest in Adelaide's attempt to refresh its underachieving club.

Veterans Richard Douglas and Andy Otten called time last month, shortly before Tex Walker revealed he'd be stepping down as co-captain in 2020.

Defender Alex Keath is seeking a trade to the Bulldogs, while a deal is all-but done for beloved small forward Eddie Betts to return to Carlton.

Midfielder Hugh Greenwood is also set to walk away from West Lakes, while Cam Ellis-Yolmen has signed a three-year deal with the Lions after a mixed eight years in Adelaide.

Upon his exit, Ellis-Yolmen said Adelaide's controversial pre-season camp was just one of a number of factors behind a drop in chemistry and culture at the Crows.

Coach search continues
The club hopes Campeorele's axing will pave the way for a new senior coach following Don Pyke's sensational departure.

The race for the top job has heated up, with three big names in the ring.

Hawthorn assistants Adem Yze and Scott Burns are in hot contention, but former Power assistant Matthew Nicks is being tipped as the favourite.

Crows CEO Andrew Fagan says the club is at the "pointy end" of the process.

"We had some interviews yesterday in Melbourne and we're not too far away from making a decision," he said.
Only positive from all this, you FINALLY got rid of Burton!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

It will be interesting to see how the AFC recruitment department goes now that there are a number of holes to fill.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

A clean out was needed at all levels, simple as that. We will rebuild and be back better than ever. This whole situation is what was needed and is for the greater good.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

@ Michael

nothing changes.....like I said previously
ive never said that everything is hunky dory at the Crows, but to link the leaving of certain players with a perceived cultural problem is ignorant.
and report justifies this with the following observation
"no single issue" was responsible
(even though its referring to on field success as opposed to player departures.

Campo should be remembered fondly for guiding us through the dark period after the death of Walsh
Burton's appointment was always seen as a 'job for the boys' but we did make the GF in his first year.

new start definitely needed and the new coach would want to start with a clean slate, so it can only be a positive.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Cooper wrote:A clean out was needed at all levels, simple as that. We will rebuild and be back better than ever. This whole situation is what was needed and is for the greater good.
What do people think about AFC recruiting in the past? - as this will now be even more crytical from AFC point of view.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Mr Red wrote:
Cooper wrote:A clean out was needed at all levels, simple as that. We will rebuild and be back better than ever. This whole situation is what was needed and is for the greater good.
What do people think about AFC recruiting in the past? - as this will now be even more crytical from AFC point of view.
In general I don't think recruiting has been an issue in the past. I think our issues were much more cultural.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

Cooper wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
In general I don't think recruiting has been an issue in the past. I think our issues were much more cultural.
lol what is their culture exactly ?
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Dave now from No 9 wrote:
Cooper wrote:
Mr Red wrote: What do people think about AFC recruiting in the past? - as this will now be even more crytical from AFC point of view.
lol what is their culture exactly ?
I think its been widely reported that they didn't really have one and that was the main issue. Whatever happened on that camp after the GF loss was the main factor.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Cornes' article regarding the 'camp' suggests (read between the lines) that 3 groups of players weren't happy with the methods employed by the facilitators….

1 - the indigenous players; even though that part of the program was developed by an indigenous person
2 - senior leaders; to help build resilience, they were confronted with personal details of their lives....they assumed that it was the coaches who handed this info to the facilitators thus felt betrayed
3 - the younger ones; maybe because they weren't allowed to use technology and social media

essentially he was having a crack at 'millennials'....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

MegaBonus wrote:Cornes' article regarding the 'camp' suggests (read between the lines) that 3 groups of players weren't happy with the methods employed by the facilitators….

1 - the indigenous players; even though that part of the program was developed by an indigenous person
2 - senior leaders; to help build resilience, they were confronted with personal details of their lives....they assumed that it was the coaches who handed this info to the facilitators thus felt betrayed
3 - the younger ones; maybe because they weren't allowed to use technology and social media

essentially he was having a crack at 'millennials'....

What I am hearing, if true, is absolutely disgusting what "some" indigenous players were put through.
Just wait till it all is leaked to the public.

But your correct about Millenials..... they will ruin this world!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

ASADA responds to reports on Essendon's doping ban
AAP, with Dinny Navaratnam
Oct 16, 2019 1:23PM

News Corp reported on Wednesday that the drug Thymosin Beta-4, which was administered to Essendon players ahead of their AFL suspension in 2016, was only listed as a banned substance several months after the injections to players had stopped.

But ASADA said the timing of the logging of the drug on its former checking tool known as 'Check Your Substance' was irrelevant.

"ASADA strongly denies allegations of evidence manipulation reported in the media," the organisation said in a statement.

"The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has sole responsibility for setting and determining prohibited substances. It is not possible to manipulate whether or not substances are prohibited.

"Thymosin Beta 4 was included on the 2010 prohibited list by WADA … Thymosin Beta 4 has never been approved for human use.

"Whether a substance was on ASADA's former 'Check Your Substances' tool has no bearing on its status as a prohibited substance on WADA's prohibited list.

"It is impossible to list every substance that may be used for performance enhancement in such a tool, particularly those not approved for use by humans.

"In 2011-2013, for this reason, any person who searched for a substance on the ASADA website that was not contained in the 'Check Your Substance' tool would have received the following instruction: IMPORTANT: If you cannot find your search term on 'Check Your Substances' that does NOT mean that it is permitted in sport. Please check the list below for an exact match to your search term. If you cannot find an exact match for your search, please contact ASADA immediately."

There were 34 Bombers players who were banned for 12 months after a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled the players were injected several times with Thymosin Beta-4.

The AFL has backed ASADA's handling of the matter.
Mind you, AFL also ticked off on the Crows "controversial" camp last year....

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Cooper wrote:
Mr Red wrote:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 1d4291601d

Well they better start improving their recruiting if they are going to get better than a D.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Mr Red wrote:
Cooper wrote:
Mr Red wrote:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 1d4291601d

Well they better start improving their recruiting if they are going to get better than a D.
I cant disagree with that but now the trade period is over they have one picked up 1 player.
Its going to be a hard year that's for sure. Hopefully they can get a few good young guys in the draft.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/all-t ... 2ab0002d90
After the departure of coach Don Pyke, the stepping down of skipper Tayor Walker and the sacking of footy boss Brett Burton and senior assistant Scott Camporeale, the Crows cleared six veterans as they look to embark on a new era under new coach Matthew Nicks.
Eddie Betts (Carlton), Alex Keath (Western Bulldogs), Josh Jenkins (Geelong), Hugh Greenwood (Gold Coast), Cam Ellis-Yolmen (Brisbane) and Sam Jacobs (GWS) are all now ex-Adelaide players and it spells danger for Nicks’ first year in the eyes of ex-Port Adelaide player Kane Cornes.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Cooper wrote: .
I cant disagree with that but now the trade period is over they have one picked up 1 player.
Its going to be a hard year that's for sure. Hopefully they can get a few good young guys in the draft.

Hard to see them making the eight in fact they may not even come close.

A few crows people I know dont think much of Reid junior, from a past recruiting point of view - time will tell, now there is more focus in that area for the crows.
Last edited by Mr Red on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eyas
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Eyas »

Mr Red wrote:
I cant disagree with that.
Brief and to to the point.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Eyjafjallajökull wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
I cant disagree with that.
Brief and to to the point.

my I.T. skills arent the best :lol:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Mr Red wrote:

Hard to see them making the eight in fact they may not even come close.

A few crows people I know dont think much of Reid junior, from a past recruiting point of view - time will tell, now there is more focus in that area for the crows.
Reid is a father/son appointment. His father caused havoc in 2012 and the son is following in his footsteps,

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

eagleboy wrote:
Mr Red wrote:
[/b]
Reid is a father/son appointment. His father caused havoc in 2012 and the son is following in his footsteps,
Thats what I am hearing also.