AUWFC season 2019-2020

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUWFC season 2019-2020

Post by sportsbird »

The talk has it that there will be a significant player movement within the Adelaide United Women's Team.
It has been rumored that Ivan was not happy with some of the local players last season and will be introducing several new players.
At this stage, contracts will be offered to 6-7 local players from last season. Chelsie Dawber, Emily Hodgson, Emily Condon, Emma Checker, Laura Johns, Charlotte Grant and Sarah Willacy.
The rest will miss out. It will be interesting who the new players will be.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: AUWFC season 2019-2020

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:The talk has it that there will be a significant player movement within the Adelaide United Women's Team.
It has been rumored that Ivan was not happy with some of the local players last season and will be introducing several new players.
At this stage, contracts will be offered to 6-7 local players from last season. Chelsie Dawber, Emily Hodgson, Emily Condon, Emma Checker, Laura Johns, Charlotte Grant and Sarah Willacy.
You are JOKing

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Ben Rath wrote:
sportsbird wrote:The talk has it that there will be a significant player movement within the Adelaide United Women's Team.
You are JOKing
Watch this space

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Out of interest, which locals missing out would you keep in?

By the way I only speak GK's with Ivan so I'm not sure who's going if any.

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

SO CANT IMPROVE LOCAL, GET IMPORTS? MMMH WHERE HAVE I SEEN THAT BEFORE?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

paul merson wrote:Out of interest, which locals missing out would you keep in?

Paul Merson,
I get the impression from your comment, "which locals missing out would you keep in?? is basically telling me that the players not listed are not worthy of a contract for season 2019-2020.
If this is the case, the only issue I have is how did Ivan get the selection so wrong. with approx 7 local players to be given the flick from last season.
Hopefully, the coaching panel will have a far superior selection process and that he selects in-form players who are fully fit and ready to challenge the W League season, and in addition, he does not offer contracts to players who are injured like he did last season. That was incomprehensible.
Finally, should be interesting to see how many NTC players be offered contracts considering they finished the WNPL season in last position and there were no standout players like the previous WNPL player of the year, Charlotte Grant.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:

Paul Merson,
I get the impression from your comment, "which locals missing out would you keep in?? is basically telling me that the players not listed are not worthy of a contract for season 2019-2020.
If this is the case, the only issue I have is how did Ivan get the selection so wrong. with approx 7 local players to be given the flick from last season.
Hopefully, the coaching panel will have a far superior selection process and that he selects in-form players who are fully fit and ready to challenge the W League season, and in addition, he does not offer contracts to players who are injured like he did last season. That was incomprehensible.
Finally, should be interesting to see how many NTC players be offered contracts considering they finished the WNPL season in last position and there were no standout players like the previous WNPL player of the year, Charlotte Grant.
Umm no, I simply asked who do you think they should keep, I’m not sure who is going or if they even are, you have come out with the statement that this is what’s happening, I just asked for discussion sake who you’d keep but you have then gone on to completely avoid the question so you can take a few shots at Ivan as you do, what players would you keep & why?
That’s all I asked.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:
Ben Rath wrote:
You are JOKing
Watch this space
No.. I won't be. Better sources out there given wht you've written here.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

paul merson wrote:
sportsbird wrote:

Paul Merson,
Umm no, I simply asked who do you think they should keep, I’m not sure who is going or if they even are, you have come out with the statement that this is what’s happening, I just asked for discussion sake who you’d keep but you have then gone on to completely avoid the question so you can take a few shots at Ivan as you do, what players would you keep & why?
That’s all I asked.
Not the first time this person has taken pot shots at Ivan.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Well aware of that, I just tried to turn it into a football discussion but clearly from the response Sportsbird has no interest in that.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

paul merson wrote:Well aware of that, I just tried to turn it into a football discussion but clearly from the response Sportsbird has no interest in that.
Of course I am interest in discussions regarding WNPL and W League. I'm passionate about the women's game, played it, loved it. However, I am highlighting the fact that Adelaide United continue to appoint coaches with no experience in managing female athletes. This has been evident last season with the local players including a well respected and star interstate player who was extremely unhappy with the coach. It was pointed out that the coach was only interested in the overseas players while the other low status local players were treated as fill ins. If you think this is made up, just talk to the players who were involved last season. Now that Ivan is once again the head coach for season 2019-2020, I would like to see that he treats all players with respect and to treat everyone the same regardless of status. I would really love to see he recruit local players that actually earn their selection, identify their best positions while recruiting overseas/interstate players around the local players, not the other way round.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:
paul merson wrote:Well aware of that, I just tried to turn it into a football discussion but clearly from the response Sportsbird has no interest in that.
Of course I am interest in discussions regarding WNPL and W League. I'm passionate about the women's game, played it, loved it. However, I am highlighting the fact that Adelaide United continue to appoint coaches with no experience in managing female athletes. This has been evident last season with the local players including a well respected and star interstate player who was extremely unhappy with the coach. It was pointed out that the coach was only interested in the overseas players while the other low status local players were treated as fill ins. If you think this is made up, just talk to the players who were involved last season. Now that Ivan is once again the head coach for season 2019-2020, I would like to see that he treats all players with respect and to treat everyone the same regardless of status. I would really love to see he recruit local players that actually earn their selection, identify their best positions while recruiting overseas/interstate players around the local players, not the other way round.
Im not sure how it went, but from my experience in football, Zoran Matic didn't speak to me in the same light as Claudio Pelosi or Aurellio Vidmar, get on with it.
It is a result based league, players are paid well, its not community league, having been in pro environments this is normal, they are there for results, you want your coaches full attention get out there and get it, don't just expect it.
I know that some will say you cant treat women the same as men, but on a gk level I do & I have plenty of female (wnpl) GKs wanting to join our sessions.

Knowing Ivan, his decisions and behaviors are based around winning, I found him as a player & coach to be a pretty calculated person, he doesn't just do things ad hock.

Now back to my question, which players do you think should stay/go & why?
(The question is about the players not Ivan)

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Very surprised he wouldn't want Dylan Homes returning?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote:

I had a very good conversation with him not too long ago about the differences between coaching men and women, I think you'd be surprised how far off the mark you are with him. I'm pretty sure this is now Ivan's 4th or 5th season involved in the women's setup. How much more experience would you like him to have?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Rightside wrote:Very surprised he wouldn't want Dylan Homes returning?
Where have you heard that she isn't?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

@ Mers.... 2 things...

1 - millennials
2 - females

case shut....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Paul Merson,

The players to be re-contracted as follows;
Chelsie Dawber - had a great year in WNPL winning the golden boot and should go on with her form in the W League
Emily Condon - Finished well in the last part of the W League last Season and has continued her form in the WNPL this year.
Laura Johns - Great season in the 2018-2019 W League and in the WNPL
Sarah Willacy - Great Goalkeeper, say no more.
Emma Checker - Not an attacking player, continues to play backwards in defence. Like to see her take on attacking players a lot more. Still a valuable player and captain.
Charlotte Grant - Future long term & exciting player
Evelyn Goldsmith - Young goalkeeper with a great future.
All overseas player were great and should be retained.

Players to be delisted;
Emily Hodgson - has been exposed in defence on numerous occasions and opposition teams have taken advantage of it
Dylon Holmes - Had a good start to the season but fell away at the half way mark. May get another chance.
Georgia Campagnale - Has not continued her form since season 2017-2018 starting all 12 games to 6 starts in 2018-2019.
Georgia Ianella - Injury prone and don't believe she is capable of playing at the W League level. Also easy to bump off the ball, this was displayed this season in the WNPL season.
Grace Abbey - Injury prone and has had two years with the lady reds with no real outcome. Played 1 game and no start.
Meleri Mullan - Injury prone also and I dont believe she should be retained.
Sian McLaren - Hasnt cemented her place in the W League.
Isabel Hodgson - Not fully committed to Adelaide United. Played 7 games with only 1 start.
However Michelle Heyman was a disappointment but that could be the way she was told to play.
None of the above players have been exciting or challenged opposition teams. Have not seen any of these players stood out.

Future players to be looked at as follows;
Adelaide City - Matilda Mcnamara, Daniela Di Bartolo
Adelaide Comets - Victoria Mansueto
NTC - Nil
Salisbury Inter - Chantal Ryder
Fulham - Jenna McCormack
Metro - Chrissy Panagaris, Isabella Scalzi,
West Adelaide - Abby Touche, Nicole Tilley and Elena Psaroulis
Adelaide Uni - Nil

This is my opinion and I am not sure if I missed out anyone.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Nice wrap, that’s the sort of thing this forum needs.

From a GK perspective Sian still has experience to offer especially if Ev comes in at #2, Sarah needs to worry about Sarah so to have a mentor for a young GK like Sian would be fantastic.

Like the men’s team, everybody would love to see an all SA team but we also want to have a successful team so for me I’d like to see the best team available, any imports or interstaters need to be better than what we have here, if IK can get some top quality imports then build the team around them.

I’ve only seen snippets of Dawbs this season, from what I saw of her during my time there if she can deliver some explosiveness & aggression towards winning the ball AU are sitting on a diamond, creative, talented, just needs that desperation, look forward to seeing her this season.

As for sportsbird, this sort of opinion piece is pro active & respected.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Much appreciated Paul.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
Sportsbird didn't name her as a local player
The rest will miss out.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

sportsbird wrote:Paul Merson,

The players to be re-contracted as follows;
Chelsie Dawber - had a great year in WNPL winning the golden boot and should go on with her form in the W League
Emily Condon - Finished well in the last part of the W League last Season and has continued her form in the WNPL this year.
Laura Johns - Great season in the 2018-2019 W League and in the WNPL
Sarah Willacy - Great Goalkeeper, say no more.
Emma Checker - Not an attacking player, continues to play backwards in defence. Like to see her take on attacking players a lot more. Still a valuable player and captain.
Charlotte Grant - Future long term & exciting player
Evelyn Goldsmith - Young goalkeeper with a great future.
All overseas player were great and should be retained.

Players to be delisted;
Emily Hodgson - has been exposed in defence on numerous occasions and opposition teams have taken advantage of it
Dylon Holmes - Had a good start to the season but fell away at the half way mark. May get another chance.
Georgia Campagnale - Has not continued her form since season 2017-2018 starting all 12 games to 6 starts in 2018-2019.
Georgia Ianella - Injury prone and don't believe she is capable of playing at the W League level. Also easy to bump off the ball, this was displayed this season in the WNPL season.
Grace Abbey - Injury prone and has had two years with the lady reds with no real outcome. Played 1 game and no start.
Meleri Mullan - Injury prone also and I dont believe she should be retained.
Sian McLaren - Hasnt cemented her place in the W League.
Isabel Hodgson - Not fully committed to Adelaide United. Played 7 games with only 1 start.
However Michelle Heyman was a disappointment but that could be the way she was told to play.
None of the above players have been exciting or challenged opposition teams. Have not seen any of these players stood out.

Future players to be looked at as follows;
Adelaide City - Matilda Mcnamara, Daniela Di Bartolo
Adelaide Comets - Victoria Mansueto
NTC - Nil
Salisbury Inter - Chantal Ryder
Fulham - Jenna McCormack
Metro - Chrissy Panagaris, Isabella Scalzi,
West Adelaide - Abby Touche, Nicole Tilley and Elena Psaroulis
Adelaide Uni - Nil

This is my opinion and I am not sure if I missed out anyone.
Sportsbird Sarah Willacy is injured, thought you said no one injured should get a contract? she is the exception?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Sportsbird Sarah Willacy is injured, thought you said no one injured should get a contract? she is the exception?

Rightside, if she is injured then you are quite right to say that she should not obtain a contract. Because it is such a short season, the club cannot afford to carry injured players.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

Rightside wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:
Sportsbird didn't name her as a local player
The rest will miss out.
#FakeNewsSportsbird

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Emma C has jumped the AUFC-W ship.

Any word on what's the plan for this team in 2019-20. Constructive comments please and be mindful we're talking about people we may know of locally.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Congratulation to Adelaide United in recruiting Mary & Ciara Fowler. They are certainly quality players to have on board. I just hope that the club does not rely on these two individuals to be a powerhouse in the W League. The Fowler sisters are young and need time to establish themselves in the W league.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Two good recruits.

The others from our local scene will make an initial impact but then fall away when the finals beckon. Inadequate pre-season and conditioning program. AUFC relying on the flow on from a long year in the wnpl and rolling from W league to wnpl to w league to wnpl.

sportsbird wrote:Congratulation to Adelaide United in recruiting Mary & Ciara Fowler. They are certainly quality players to have on board. I just hope that the club does not rely on these two individuals to be a powerhouse in the W League. The Fowler sisters are young and need time to establish themselves in the W league.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Congrats to Jenna McCormick for joining Melbourne Victory. Well it seems we continue to see great SA players play for other teams.
I know why she did not want to play for lady reds but some people will think I am making it up, maybe I will explain it next time.
However, it is a real shame that we cannot retain our great grassroot players.
All the best Jenna.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

sportsbird wrote:Congrats to Jenna McCormick for joining Melbourne Victory. Well it seems we continue to see great SA players play for other teams.
I know why she did not want to play for lady reds but some people will think I am making it up, maybe I will explain it next time.
However, it is a real shame that we cannot retain our great grassroot players.
All the best Jenna.
I’m going to list everything you know after this sentence.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

does it have anything to do with having more chance of being noticed for National team selection if you play for a club in the Eastern states ?

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

In the way wrote:does it have anything to do with having more chance of being noticed for National team selection if you play for a club in the Eastern states ?
She didnt want to play the full WL season last season so she could play for the Crows in AFLW. Adelaide weren’t ok with that but Brisbane were. I reckon the real question is why she hasn’t stayed at Brisbane.