Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Post Reply
Old Master
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7003
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Old Master »

Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport


Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
The older I get the better I was.


FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

User avatar
Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1453
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport


Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
Always a subjective topic but I will take you to task re assists because that is the one area that I believe Messi is and has always been better than Ronaldo and the facts seem to back that up
Image
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

User avatar
Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1453
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport


Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
Always a subjective topic but I will take you to task re assists because that is the one area that I believe Messi is and has always been better than Ronaldo and the facts seem to back that up
Image
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

User avatar
Michael
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Michael »

Ronaldo >> Messi

Look at what they have won for their country, Ronaldo won a Euro Title with an average Portugal, Messi has won nothing with a good Argentina.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14107
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Champions at last »

Michael wrote:Ronaldo >> Messi

Look at what they have won for their country, Ronaldo won a Euro Title with an average Portugal, Messi has won nothing with a good Argentina.
Was Djimi Traore better than Luis Suarez?

Champions at last
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 14107
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Champions at last »

Old Master wrote:Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport


Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
If this website is accurate,you are wrong http://messivsronaldo.net/all-time-stats/

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45066
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by God is an Englishman »

Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Messi is not even the best ever player from the Falklands war runner ups.
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

User avatar
Michael
Squad Player
Squad Player
Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote:Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Messi is not even the best ever player from the Falklands war runner ups.

Their is no such player called Christian Ronaldo
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

User avatar
God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member
Posts: 45066
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by God is an Englishman »

Michael wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Messi is not even the best ever player from the Falklands war runner ups.

Their is no such player called Christian Ronaldo
O dear


Are you sure? You have been through every player in the world to know that?
West Adelaide Soccer Club president Alex Alexandrou said the club was still in a position to be playing and training at the new ground either by the end of the 2015 season or in 2016.

Post Reply