Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Old Master »

Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport

Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the GOAT

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Messi has been criticised after a quieter Copa America campaign, although Argentina are into the last four and face their rivals in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday (AEST).
Silva said there was no doubt the Barcelona star, a five-time Ballon d'Or winner, deserved to be considered the best player ever.
"For me, Messi is the greatest player in history, the greatest player I've ever seen," the Paris Saint-Germain defender told a news conference on Saturday.

"But now, it's Brazil and Argentina. We'll leave it to admire him in other games ahead."
Brazil have endured some difficulties as Copa hosts, booed repeatedly by their fans and needing penalties to edge past Paraguay in the quarter-finals, and now they face a Messi-led Argentina side growing in confidence after back-to-back wins.
While Messi has scored just once in four games at the tournament, Silva praised the forward's ability to produce moments of magic.
"Every time we face each other, whether in the national team or in the Champions League, it's very difficult to face him," he said.
"No matter how much you study, you will never understand the quality he has and the difference he can make.
"At certain times, he pulls something else out of the hat that you cannot imagine. That's his difference.
"As a centre-back you have to study all the possibilities. We know he always pulls left, but many times he pulls right."
Source Omnisport

Like many others, I believe Messi is certainly the most talented footballer I've ever seen, he can create goals out of thin air and is very difficult to play against.
I don't, however, believe he is the GOAT, that honour has to go to Christiano Ronaldo, as he is the most influential player there is and has all the same skills that Messi can turn on.
Ronaldo creates goals out of thin air too, he also creates far more assists than Messi and brings the best out of every team he plays for at club and International level.
Look what he's done with Portugal, not the most talented national team around but when Ronaldo fires, which is pretty much every game, they become a class outfit capable of beating anyone.
Messi, however, he rarely plays well at International level and rarely lifts the players around him the way CR does, despite having a more talented pool of players around him.
These are just my observations, so I'd be interested what other forum members feel about the two best players of modern times. OM
Always a subjective topic but I will take you to task re assists because that is the one area that I believe Messi is and has always been better than Ronaldo and the facts seem to back that up
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:Thiago Silva labelled Lionel Messi the greatest player of all-time ahead of Brazil's Copa America semi-final showdown against Argentina.

Source Omnisport

Always a subjective topic but I will take you to task re assists because that is the one area that I believe Messi is and has always been better than Ronaldo and the facts seem to back that up
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Ronaldo >> Messi

Look at what they have won for their country, Ronaldo won a Euro Title with an average Portugal, Messi has won nothing with a good Argentina.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Michael wrote:Ronaldo >> Messi

Look at what they have won for their country, Ronaldo won a Euro Title with an average Portugal, Messi has won nothing with a good Argentina.
Was Djimi Traore better than Luis Suarez?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Source Omnisport

If this website is accurate,you are wrong http://messivsronaldo.net/all-time-stats/

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Messi is not even the best ever player from the Falklands war runner ups.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote:Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Their is no such player called Christian Ronaldo
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Michael wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Christian Ronaldo is not even the best ever player called Ronaldo.

Their is no such player called Christian Ronaldo
O dear

Are you sure? You have been through every player in the world to know that?