Matildas coach Alen Stajcic stood down months before World C

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Matildas coach Alen Stajcic stood down months before Wor

Post by In the way »

Grosso Mk II wrote:
Michael wrote:FFA deserves the credit for this failure, I wonder whom will fall on their sword.
The matildas deserved more in the world cup, but exiting where they did was a complete failure!
Who says they deserved more? Overrated.
I am thinking meant to say Matildas deserved better
Up until about 4 months ago they were being primed to feature strongly in the World Cup, strong contenders for a semi final place, maybe even bringing the trophy home.
Thanks to the wisdom, or lack of, by someone/ peoples within the FFA that hope was made more difficult with the events of four months ago.
For the media to try and put a positive spin on it saying they all did their best, shows they have no idea how shattered all those girls and ( most of the country ) are feeling, there is no place for mediocrity at this level.
Who within FFA is going to accept responsibilty, or is there blame shifting going on, ( bit like Matildas defenders when they conceded goals - would never happen in Alen's time )
My 5 cents worth on the WWC

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Grosso Mk II wrote:
Michael wrote:FFA deserves the credit for this failure, I wonder whom will fall on their sword.
The matildas deserved more in the world cup, but exiting where they did was a complete failure!
Grosso the self appointed expert on international womens football :wink: :wink:

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

ozzie owl wrote:
Grosso Mk II wrote:
Has to do something since the Italian Men cant even make the cut lol

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Michael wrote:
Grosso Mk II wrote:
Not overrated, the fact they defeated the US just last year in the Tournament of Nations with head coach Stajcic shows that this team deserved more.
FFA should be held accountable
skips and their friendlies successes :lol:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Cooper wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Grosso Mk II wrote:

Yeah I bet with the x4 World cups they have won, they can manage to "miss" The odd one or two - unlike your country.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Michael wrote:
Cooper wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Yeah I bet with the x4 World cups they have won, they can manage to "miss" The odd one or two - unlike your country.
Only as good as your last performance lol

How do you know what country I support?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Comparing Australia and Italy in football terms is like comparing them in Rugby terms albeit the other way round. One has a much bigger history and culture developed over long term.
Italy missing out in football is like England or Brazil missing out - it is a big deal. If Australia did, no-one would blink an eyelid anywhere else.
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote:Comparing Australia and Italy in football terms is like comparing them in Rugby terms albeit the other way round. One has a much bigger history and culture developed over long term.
Italy missing out in football is like England or Brazil missing out - it is a big deal. If Australia did, no-one would blink an eyelid anywhere else.
Very true. Australia missing out on advancing though will do tremendous damage here to the women's game. The women's game like the men's needs a successful winning national team to promote our code. We are not in a position like Rugby or AFL where sponsors and television come knocking at our door. Women's football has lots of competition from AFL,Netball and Rugby.The Stajcic drama and more importantly the timing was only bad publicity at a time when women's football was on a high. The rest of the world probably had a chuckle and were happy at our decision making.

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:Comparing Australia and Italy in football terms is like comparing them in Rugby terms albeit the other way round. One has a much bigger history and culture developed over long term.
Very true. Australia missing out on advancing though will do tremendous damage here to the women's game. The women's game like the men's needs a successful winning national team to promote our code. We are not in a position like Rugby or AFL where sponsors and television come knocking at our door. Women's football has lots of competition from AFL,Netball and Rugby.The Stajcic drama and more importantly the timing was only bad publicity at a time when women's football was on a high. The rest of the world probably had a chuckle and were happy at our decision making.
the rest of the world doesn't even consider Australia

Sushi
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Sushi »

True.
Australia overstates its importance in the world pecking order.
The world doesn't give a fat flick about Australia.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

In the way wrote:
Grosso Mk II wrote:
I am thinking meant to say Matildas deserved better
Up until about 4 months ago they were being primed to feature strongly in the World Cup, strong contenders for a semi final place, maybe even bringing the trophy home.
Thanks to the wisdom, or lack of, by someone/ peoples within the FFA that hope was made more difficult with the events of four months ago.
For the media to try and put a positive spin on it saying they all did their best, shows they have no idea how shattered all those girls and ( most of the country ) are feeling, there is no place for mediocrity at this level.
Who within FFA is going to accept responsibilty, or is there blame shifting going on, ( bit like Matildas defenders when they conceded goals - would never happen in Alen's time )
My 5 cents worth on the WWC

i entirely agree with this post. it says it all. stajcics sacking started the rot. dont blame ante though,he was pitchforked into the job and had a scant 3 months to work with the team. the whole thing became a shambles from then on without the conspiracy theries abounding. but lets face it,the team must spend more time on their penalty taking skills. :roll: