Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez gets sued by former nanny

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez gets sued by former nanny

Post by Michael »

An English Premier league star who earns $364,000 a week has been labelled a “cheapskate” after stiffing a $21-an-hour nanny.

Football moneybags Riyad Mahrez has been blasted by a judge who has ordered him to pay $6,580 to his children’s nanny.

Filipino Catalina “Cathy” Miraflores, 52, earned $21 an hour. But the $364,000 a-week star, bought by Manchester City for $110 million, withheld promised expenses and overtime cash.

The Algerian star didn’t just lose in court but he was hammered by Miraflores after the ruling as she told of having to give 24-7 service to the football star.

“He’s a cheapskate. I worked hard all hours. I just wanted my money,” Miraflores said.

The winger refused to hand her $6,580 — around an hour’s work for him.

“I worked really, really hard for that money. But he had not paid me. I didn’t know what to do.

“I was at their beck and call 24 hours a day.

“I slept in the same room as the children so if they woke up I had to deal with that.

“I couldn’t go home. I was there in Manchester and had to work all hours.

“There was never any problem with my work. I worked all of those hours and should be paid.”

Cathy first got a job with Mahrez and wife Rita, both 28, through an agency in March last year.

They were living in North London with their two young daughters while he played for Leicester City.

Bank records show Algerian international Mahrez deposited her salary via a bank transfer every two or three weeks.

Cathy said he also agreed to pay overtime and expenses.

Filipino Cathy rented a room in a shared house nearby and managed to send home $1,800 a month to pay for her daughter’s schooling.

“At the beginning there was no problem. When in London they paid. There was never a problem with overtime.”

At the end of the 2018 season Mahrez signed for City in a $110 million deal and the family moved to Manchester.

Cathy stayed at their city centre apartment from Monday to Friday. She said: “It was no longer an 8am until 6pm role.”

She still received her $1,100-a-week wages but ended up being owed for overtime and expenses. In November she finally walked out.

Cathy had billed a total of $13,000 — which included the basic $5,460 for five weeks work.

She had added an extra $7,550 for overtime, which she itemised, and expenses such as food for the children and taxis paid from her own pocket.

Bank records show Mahrez paid $4,374 on November 21, then $1,820 the following day to cover a fifth week of work.

Four days later on November 26 the ace transferred $2,070 for overtime and expenses.

Cathy says that is the last payment she received — leaving her thousands of pounds out of pocket.

Yet in a message sent to Cathy, Rita wrote: “I am shocked at your greed and manipulation.”

Cathy replied: “I only want my wages. Pls.”

In January Cathy decided to take legal action and the case went before the ­Manchester Employment Tribunal. Mahrez and his wife did not attend the ­hearing on June 11.

It is understood he was already with Algeria preparing for the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

This week Judge John Sherratt ruled in Cathy’s favour and ordered Mahrez to hand over the unpaid cash.

The ruling read: “The respondents (Mr Riyad Mahrez and Mrs Rita Mahrez) have made an unauthorised deduction from the claimant’s (Miss Catalina Miraflores) wages and are ordered to pay damages to the claimant the net sum of $6,580.

“The respondents, in breach of contract, have failed to pay certain expenses to the claimant and are ordered to pay damages to the claimant in the sum of £150.”

On Sunday the Algerian skipper scored his side’s second in a 2-0 win over Kenya in the Africa Cup of Nations.

A spokesman for the star did not want to comment on the tribunal ruling.

This article originally appeared in The Sun and is republished with permission

cheapskate lol
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez gets sued by former na

Post by Bomber »

Subsequent/potential "employees" will hardly be in a rush to work for them now. The wage gulf is hard to comprehend in real terms.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:Subsequent/potential "employees" will hardly be in a rush to work for them now. The wage gulf is hard to comprehend in real terms.
Subsequent/potential employers will hardly be in a rush to employ her now.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:Subsequent/potential "employees" will hardly be in a rush to work for them now. The wage gulf is hard to comprehend in real terms.
Did you not seek recompense when a former employer screwed you (unfairly)?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Did you not seek recompense when a former employer screwed you (unfairly)?
Yes, and I am not saying she's wrong in doing it but you open up that possibility when suing an employer. Especially if it puts your name in the papers.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Her name in paper only as who she was suing. Not so sure it will hinder her chances IF it's clear she really did no wrong. Mahrez on the other hand......
Ignore this signature

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Bomber wrote:Her name in paper only as who she was suing. Not so sure it will hinder her chances IF it's clear she really did no wrong. Mahrez on the other hand......
poor woman. she will need mahrez money to pay her lawyers off. after they have finished with her she will be skint. :(

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

THE ORAKLE wrote:
Bomber wrote:Her name in paper only as who she was suing. Not so sure it will hinder her chances IF it's clear she really did no wrong. Mahrez on the other hand......
poor woman. she will need mahrez money to pay her lawyers off. after they have finished with her she will be skint. :(
Who cover court costs and expenses in the UK if you win? I wonder if she re negotiated the deal when circumstances changed. He still comes out looking a tight ar--e.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

THE ORAKLE wrote:

I'm sure she'd have won costs

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

a lawyer once said to me you can have a 100 dollars worth of justice as long as you have a 1000 dollars to pay me for it. my advice is to have as little to do with them as possible. :roll:

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

THE ORAKLE wrote:a lawyer once said to me you can have a 100 dollars worth of justice as long as you have a 1000 dollars to pay me for it. my advice is to have as little to do with them as possible. :roll:

go nanny :wink:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

THE ORAKLE wrote:a lawyer once said to me you can have a 100 dollars worth of justice as long as you have a 1000 dollars to pay me for it. my advice is to have as little to do with them as possible. :roll:
A lawyer said that to you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

eagleboy wrote:
A lawyer said that to you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

honestly.