Former FIFA boss Blatter says money risks ruining the sport

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Former FIFA boss Blatter says money risks ruining the sport

Post by eagleboy »

Almost choked on my cornflakes. Sepp Blatter of all people

VIENNA (Reuters) - Sepp Blatter, the former boss of soccer's world governing body FIFA who was ousted during a corruption scandal, has said money risks ruining the sport.
FIFA's Ethics Committee banned Blatter, who led FIFA for 17 years, from "all football activities" in 2015 after finding him guilty of unethical conduct related to a global corruption scandal which rocked the organisation.
Switzerland's attorney general is still investigating cases of suspected corruption involving FIFA, which is based in Zurich, dating back to 2014 and Blatter's presidency.
"People already pay a lot to get into the stadium. Prices are getting higher and higher, because clubs need more money," Blatter said in an interview with Swiss newspaper Schweiz am Wochenende published on Saturday.
The 83-year-old added his belief that viewer numbers are falling this season in the French, Italian, English, Spanish and German leagues.
"That is a bad sign. Football must remain accessible," he said.
Blatter has told various media that he plans to take legal action against his successor Gianni Infantino over damage done to his reputation by the corruption scandal and information FIFA made public about payments to him that he says was inaccurate.
Blatter told Schweiz am Wochenende that FIFA bodies signed off on all payments made to him, including a bonus of 10 million Swiss francs (7.62 million pounds) he received for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Asked if he would drop his planned lawsuit against Infantino if his collection of luxury watches, which he left at FIFA's offices, were returned to him, he said: "The watches are of lesser importance. What is important to me is my moral rehabilitation."
He also hoped the Swiss attorney general's office will soon decide whether to bring its case to court or drop it.
"When this is done (I) want to write a book - my memoirs, more or less," he added.
(Reporting by Francois Murphy; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Former FIFA boss Blatter says money risks ruining the sp

Post by Bomber »

Whilst I agree money splashed about these days are ridiculous, bit rich from such an advocate to "sell" World Cups to the highest bidders and did little but line his own pockets all those years in charge.
Ignore this signature

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

eagleboy wrote:Almost choked on my cornflakes. Sepp Blatter of all people

VIENNA (Reuters) - Sepp Blatter, the former boss of soccer's world governing body FIFA who was ousted during a corruption scandal, has said money risks ruining the sport.
FIFA's Ethics Committee banned Blatter, who led FIFA for 17 years, from "all football activities" in 2015 after finding him guilty of unethical conduct related to a global corruption scandal which rocked the organisation.
Switzerland's attorney general is still investigating cases of suspected corruption involving FIFA, which is based in Zurich, dating back to 2014 and Blatter's presidency.
"People already pay a lot to get into the stadium. Prices are getting higher and higher, because clubs need more money," Blatter said in an interview with Swiss newspaper Schweiz am Wochenende published on Saturday.
The 83-year-old added his belief that viewer numbers are falling this season in the French, Italian, English, Spanish and German leagues.
"That is a bad sign. Football must remain accessible," he said.
Blatter has told various media that he plans to take legal action against his successor Gianni Infantino over damage done to his reputation by the corruption scandal and information FIFA made public about payments to him that he says was inaccurate.
Blatter told Schweiz am Wochenende that FIFA bodies signed off on all payments made to him, including a bonus of 10 million Swiss francs (7.62 million pounds) he received for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Asked if he would drop his planned lawsuit against Infantino if his collection of luxury watches, which he left at FIFA's offices, were returned to him, he said: "The watches are of lesser importance. What is important to me is my moral rehabilitation."
He also hoped the Swiss attorney general's office will soon decide whether to bring its case to court or drop it.
"When this is done (I) want to write a book - my memoirs, more or less," he added.
(Reporting by Francois Murphy; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

i did choke on my cornflakes. :roll:

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Hypocritical, self serving scumbag.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

B.Toomer wrote:Hypocritical, self serving scumbag.

he should go into politics. he would be in his element. and among his own kind :roll:

Eyas
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Eyas »

B.Toomer wrote:Hypocritical, self serving scumbag.
It's not often I agree with you, but that's him to a tee.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

His greed and corrupt actions created the climate that still exists within FIFA.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Old Master wrote:His greed and corrupt actions created the climate that still exists within FIFA.

we would be in jail for what he did. why isnt he. :?: answer plenty of money,it doesent matter how he got it,as long as you have enough. :wink:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

THE ORAKLE wrote:
Old Master wrote:His greed and corrupt actions created the climate that still exists within FIFA.

we would be in jail for what he did. why isnt he. :?: answer plenty of money,it doesent matter how he got it,as long as you have enough. :wink:

As the old song says:
'It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the Rich who get the pleasure
Ain't it all a bloody shame'
:cry: :cry: :cry:

or words to that effect. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

in actual fact blatter is quite right. it just doesent seen right coming from him does it. :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

football is capitalist, not communist.

blatter is a champagne.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

I still shake my head when I re read this topic. the sanctimonious barsteward. :roll:

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I will believe this tool is for real,the same time i start believing that Iran had anything to do with the gulf of Oman incident this week,which would be never.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

predrag wrote:I will believe this tool is for real,the same time i start believing that Iran had anything to do with the gulf of Oman incident this week,which would be never.

so what do you reckon then :?: the arms dealers need to start another war somewhere,anywhere will do. blame the yanks,iran,n korea china russia any country will do. such a pity they cannot do it without risking the lives of working mens sons. its just business folks. :cry:

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Watch-General Wesley Clark talk about 7 planed wars on you tube,might clarify things for some people,All countries that booted out the US dollar for trade were destroyed so far-ex:Libya,Syria.Iran has a deal with china,Russia to trade in gold or own currencies,with India joining.The USA knows their economy is FKD,the petrodollar is the only thing keeping this it alive.A 22 trillion dollar debt,with a FIAT currency backing the economy is a bad mix.