Ashwin and the Mankad controversy...

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Ashwin and the Mankad controversy...

Post by Michael »

Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Ashwin and the Mankad controversy...

Post by Michael »

Ravi Ashwin’s controversial Mankad dismissal of Jos Buttler in the Indian Premier League should have been ruled not out.

That’s the opinion shared among a number of cricketers, fans and pundits after footage was analysed from start to finish on Tuesday.

Sensing that Kings XI Punjab would not win their clash with Rajasthan Royals if Buttler remained out there, Ashwin – the team’s captain – took his chance.

He knocked the bails off at the non-striker’s end to send the English batsman back to the dressing room on 69 runs, and the ploy worked as Kings XI won by 14 runs.

But when the umpire sent the appeal upstairs to check if Buttler was out of his crease, a particular portion of the rules was ignored.

Ravi Ashwin shaped to bowl before his unexpected Mankad. Pic: BCCI
More
A 2017 update to law 41.16 reads: “If the non-striker is out of his/her ground from the moment the ball comes into play to the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the bowler is permitted to attempt to run him/her out.”

Note the key words ‘would normally have been expected to release the ball’.

Former Australian cricket stars Shane Warne and Lisa Sthalekar were among those to point out the discrepancy between the rulebook and what happened on the field.

Warne wrote: “(Ashwin) had no intention of delivering the ball – so it should have been called a dead ball.”

Shane Warne

@ShaneWarne
So disappointed in @ashwinravi99 as a Captain & as a person. All captains sign the #IPL wall & agree to play in the spirit of the game. RA had no intention of delivering the ball - so it should have been called a dead ball. Over to u BCCI - this a not a good look for the #IPL

5:36 AM - Mar 26, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
5,658 people are talking about this

Sthalekar added: “(It) should have been called dead ball because at the point of release Buttler is in, but Ashwin waits until his momentum of ‘backing up’ takes him out of the crease’.”

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Lisa Sthalekar

@sthalekar93
Here’s my 2 cents worth on THE run out. Should have been called dead ball cause at the point of release ⬇️ Buttler is in, but Ashwin waits until his momentum of “backing up” takes him out of the crease. Butler’s technique could be improved to limit this by being side-on = power

10:52 AM - Mar 26, 2019
120 people are talking about this

The argument boils down to Ashwin’s desperation to dismiss Buttler, having hesitated on his action to enact the Mankad.

The bowler stopped in his tracks, kept his bowling arm down, looked at Buttler and removed the bails.

Scott Styris

@scottbstyris
My opinion on the Buttler/Ashwin controversy is that its NOT Buttlers fault and its NOT Ashwins fault either

Ashwin is entitled to appeal

I thought the TV umpire made the incorrect decision

Shouldve been dead ball..... play on

4:43 AM - Mar 26, 2019
1,059 people are talking about this

Rick Eyre on cricket

@rickeyrecricket
· Mar 26, 2019
Replying to @Cricket_Ali
I could also argue that Buttler was out of his ground when Ashwin "would normally have been expected to release the ball". It's almost as if 41.16 was written for this situation. Never mind third umpires or DRS I want a barrister for this!

Ali Martin

@Cricket_Ali
sorry, just to clarify I’m not saying dead ball because Buttler was in when run up was balked.

I’m saying dead ball because Buttler is in (or at least not definitively out of) his ground when Ashwin "would normally have been expected to release the ball"

9:21 AM - Mar 26, 2019
See Ali Martin's other Tweets

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Matt Balmer
@MattBalmer7
This is an appalling mankad by Ravi Ashwin. Jos Buttler is still in his crease when he lands, so Ashwin should be expected to deliver the ball. Pretty poor effort from the captain. Certainly ain’t winning any ‘spirit of cricket’ awards. #VIVOIPL

6:36 AM - Mar 26, 2019
See Matt Balmer's other Tweets

Kartik Dayanand

@KartikDayanand
That's a dead ball.#Ashwin

7:39 AM - Mar 26, 2019
See Kartik Dayanand's other Tweets

Citizen/नागरिक/Dost Rajdeep

@sardesairajdeep
Just watched the Ashwin replay for the umpteenth time.. he wasn’t even in full delivery stride when he runs Butler out. Instead, he pauses and waits for Butler to leave the crease! NOT OUT even by LAW and Common sense dictates umpire should have called dead ball!

7:05 AM - Mar 26, 2019 · New Delhi, India
283 people are talking about this

robert askew
@chel4sea
· Mar 26, 2019
Replying to @AlisonMitchell
This incident Alison, I think you are sitting on the fence!

AlisonMitchell

@AlisonMitchell
My interpretation of the Law results in not out. Slow mo doesn’t look to me like Buttler was out of his ground at instant Ashwin would “normally have been expected to release the ball”. So dead ball. Difficulty is, Law relies on judging timing of s’thing that hasn’t happened

6:49 AM - Mar 26, 2019
See AlisonMitchell's other Tweets

Ashwin defended his actions after the match, saying his play was “very instinctive”.

“I didn’t even load and he left the crease,” he said.

“It’s always been my take on it, because it’s my half of the crease. We ended on the right side of it but those things are game-changers and batsmen need to be wary of it.”
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

My two cents. Give him one friendly warning IF he continually tries to "cheat" by running prior to delivery. After that, you're fair game. Pity in this instance Buttler was in his crease at time of intended delivery.
Ignore this signature

Hirohito
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hirohito »

If you can score runs from leg byes then I have no problems with getting out in this fashion.
POLONIAROCS wrote:Yes SAASL is so much greater than NPL.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

Hirohito wrote:If you can score runs from leg byes then I have no problems with getting out in this fashion.
yes and a bowler can be one centimetre over the bowling crease and he can miss out on a wicket but the precious batsman seem to get away with everything these days
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Dave from Number 12 wrote:
Hirohito wrote:If you can score runs from leg byes then I have no problems with getting out in this fashion.
yes and a bowler can be one centimetre over the bowling crease and he can miss out on a wicket but the precious batsman seem to get away with everything these days
And they already have bigger bats, shorter boundaries. Not sure why this doesn't get more attention (mode of dismissal) as it is a form of cheating by the runner/batsman, yet the "fed up" bowler gets all the howls and jeers.
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

I think its ridiculous the criticism he has been facing over this.

It a legitimate within the rules way to get someone out, why not use it to your advantage with slack runners.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Cooper wrote:I think its ridiculous the criticism he has been facing over this.

It a legitimate within the rules way to get someone out, why not use it to your advantage with slack runners.

1. It's customary to give a warning.

2. Buttler didn't leave his crease until after the bowler should have released the ball.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

God is an Englishman wrote:

2. Buttler didn't leave his crease until after the bowler should have released the ball.
I heard that he did, but customary doesn't mean its required by the laws (unless it is written in the laws I don't know).

As for if he was out or not I have not commented, from the replays it suggests he wasn't but that doesn't change my point that it is a legitimate way to get someone out in cricket.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Cooper wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:

I heard that he did, but customary doesn't mean its required by the laws (unless it is written in the laws I don't know).

As for if he was out or not I have not commented, from the replays it suggests he wasn't but that doesn't change my point that it is a legitimate way to get someone out in cricket.
It is not written in the laws.

Correct.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

It's not written in the laws in football that a player kicks the ball out when an opponent is down clearly injured. You sometimes cannot legislate for "spirit" of sportsmanship, but I do side with the bowler here provided he did give a soft warning beforehand.
Ignore this signature

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Bomber wrote:It's not written in the laws in football that a player kicks the ball out when an opponent is down clearly injured. You sometimes cannot legislate for "spirit" of sportsmanship, but I do side with the bowler here provided he did give a soft warning beforehand.
I tend to believe it is the refs decision to stop play when a player is injured. Seen to many players go down like a sack of shite, ball kicked out and they get up and play on.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Raich Carter wrote:
Bomber wrote:It's not written in the laws in football that a player kicks the ball out when an opponent is down clearly injured. You sometimes cannot legislate for "spirit" of sportsmanship, but I do side with the bowler here provided he did give a soft warning beforehand.
I tend to believe it is the refs decision to stop play when a player is injured. Seen to many players go down like a sack of shite, ball kicked out and they get up and play on.
That is the current law, hence the illustration that sometimes you do things "in the spirit of the game".

If treatment is required, then they have to go off (unless a yellow or red card offence) but for me, they should go off for (at least) the same amount of time they held up play.
Ignore this signature

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fountains Of Wayne »

Bomber wrote:It's not written in the laws in football that a player kicks the ball out when an opponent is down clearly injured.
I never kicked the ball out of play. The referee has a whistle, he can stop play if he feels it is warranted.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Fountains Of Wayne wrote:
Bomber wrote:It's not written in the laws in football that a player kicks the ball out when an opponent is down clearly injured.
I never kicked the ball out of play. The referee has a whistle, he can stop play if he feels it is warranted.
I never had to. When I played, for some reason it was rare for players to roll around on the ground injured during play.
Ignore this signature

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fountains Of Wayne »

Never did in my ealy days either, but I looked after myself so got to play a lot longer. :D

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:
Fountains Of Wayne wrote:
I never had to. When I played, for some reason it was rare for players to roll around on the ground injured during play.

The good old days, when MEN played sport!