England - 2019-20 Championship (formerly the 18-19 EPL)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: England - 2018-19 EPL (formerly the 2017-18 EPL thread)

Post by Old Master »

eagleboy wrote:Sacking Jose Mourinho before Christmas cost Manchester United £19.6million, the Premier League club has revealed in its second-quarter financial results.
That sum, which is listed under "exceptional items" in the accounts, includes pay-outs for the five members of his staff who left with him on December 18.
It is less than was initially reported in some quarters but four times the amount United had to pay predecessors David Moyes and Louis van Gaal when they were fired in 2014 and 2016, respectively.

Jose certainly is a money machine.

United will have recouped most of that since Solskjar(?) came in and turned things around.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master wrote:
eagleboy wrote:Sacking Jose Mourinho before Christmas cost Manchester United £19.6million, the Premier League club has revealed in its second-quarter financial results.
That sum, which is listed under "exceptional items" in the accounts, includes pay-outs for the five members of his staff who left with him on December 18.
It is less than was initially reported in some quarters but four times the amount United had to pay predecessors David Moyes and Louis van Gaal when they were fired in 2014 and 2016, respectively.

United will have recouped most of that since Solskjar(?) came in and turned things around.
how?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I liked being on top wrote:
Old Master wrote:

how?

Capitalism - when things start to go well supporters buy more merchandise. :idea:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:

Capitalism - when things start to go well supporters buy more merchandise. :idea:
i agree to an extent, but not yet in this case

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

There was an article in the media a couple of months before the change of managers that United's merchandising sales were down considerably and the author of it was wondering how long it would be before Mourinho was sacked.

I can't remember where I saw it but I think it was on SBS.

Last week the BBC sated that their sales were increasing rapidly since the fifth win under Ole Gunnar.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Some truly awful refereeing this morning. I’m no Warnock fan, but he’s right, if you can’t give a pen then you’re in the wrong job.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Odds on next Leicester City permanent manager

11/8 Brendan Rodgers
7/2 David Wagner
5/1 Rafa Benitez
5/1 Mike Stowell
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Michael Appleton
12/1 Nigel Pearson

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:Odds on next Leicester City permanent manager

11/8 Brendan Rodgers
7/2 David Wagner
5/1 Rafa Benitez
5/1 Mike Stowell
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Michael Appleton
12/1 Nigel Pearson
Would be interested to see of Rodgera can make the step up. Back to the premier league and with a club that has actually won it.

Big jump.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:

11/8 Brendan Rodgers
7/2 David Wagner
5/1 Rafa Benitez
5/1 Mike Stowell
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Michael Appleton
12/1 Nigel Pearson
Would be interested to see of Rodgera can make the step up. Back to the premier league and with a club that has actually won it.

Big jump.
Football started before 1992. if it didn't you are not the biggest small club in the world....

poor trolling

and i know you put premier league, but its a name change...nothing more.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

God is an Englishman wrote:

11/8 Brendan Rodgers
7/2 David Wagner
5/1 Rafa Benitez
5/1 Mike Stowell
8/1 Neil Lennon
10/1 Michael Appleton
12/1 Nigel Pearson

Big jump.
Football started before 1992. if it didn't you are not the biggest small club in the world....

poor trolling

and i know you put premier league, but its a name change...nothing more.

What? There was football before 92, I don't believe that for a minute.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Cyril.. Harry to get done for a headbutt and miss the NLD this weekend??
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Two horse race now. C'mon you Reds!
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

5 different scorers for Arsenal this morn and the enigmatic Ozil could have had his second, but for the width of a post.

Now for the derby.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote:Two horse race now. C'mon you Reds!
Does MC play the Reds again this season. If yes, what a match.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:Two horse race now. C'mon you Reds!
Does MC play the Reds again this season. If yes, what a match.
Man City have one 'tough' game, v Man Utd
Liverpool have three, Everton away (Sunday), Chelsea and Spurs at home.

Spurs now fighting to stay in Top 4.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Look the title is still a three horse race…. so obviously totteringham will finish fourth

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Look the title is still a three horse race…. so obviously totteringham will finish fourth
Liverpool or Man City but who is the third?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:Cyril.. Harry to get done for a headbutt and miss the NLD this weekend??
I wouldn’t think so, more of a lean in and there was about zero contact, but it was still uncalled for. Not as stupid as Trippier though!
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I see Chris Sutton has opened his big mouth again.

Rodgers' Leicester move 'stinks' - ex-Celtic star Sutton's latest rant

Former Celtic star Chris Sutton has criticised the timing of Brendan Rodgers' departure and suggested the manager has let fans down.

Celtic announced on Tuesday (AEDT) that they had "very reluctantly" given Rodgers permission to travel to Leicester for talks and he has now sealed a return to the Premier League.

The 46-year-old won all three domestic honours in his first two seasons in charge at Parkhead and appeared on course to repeat that achievement again in a third campaign.

Ex-Celtic striker Sutton therefore questioned Rodgers' decision to move to a mid-table Premier League club at this stage, while he questioned the coach's past comments about his "dream job" in Glasgow.

"It looks like Brendan Rodgers is off to Leicester City and, quite frankly, it stinks," Sutton said in a video posted to BT Sport's Twitter page before Rodgers' move to Leicester was confirmed.

"The timing of it stinks. He's going to a club who are playing for absolutely nothing. They're not going to get relegated, not going to get into Europe, and I am really disappointed.

"I think there are a lot of Celtic fans out there who will feel let down. This was the job which Brendan said was his 'dream job'. Why is he going now to a club who have nothing to play for?
"It looks like Neil Lennon will get the opportunity [to manage Celtic] and I wish him well.
"In terms of how Brendan has left the club, I think he's left the club in a tough situation. [They have had] short-term loans and losing the centre-half pairing and the right-back in the summer.
"There's a big overhaul which needs doing but, at the moment, it's about the here and now."
Providing a review of Rodgers' time in charge at Celtic, Sutton praised his domestic exploits but said the former Liverpool boss found life in European competition "too tough".
He also offered a potential reason for Rodgers' departure, suggesting his relationship with chief executive Peter Lawwell may never have recovered from a tough close-season transfer market.
"Domestically, Brendan has clean-sweeped and it's been fantastic," he said.
"Europe has been too tough for Brendan, as it has been for a lot of Celtic managers.
"He's been very negative of late. There has been a breakdown in the relationship with Peter Lawwell - Brendan threw him under the bus earlier in the season and, from that moment you're thinking, 'This isn't going to last'.
"The bottom line is the timing of this absolutely stinks. Brendan Rodgers is a top coach and I certainly wish him well. But come on, Brendan, the timing is poor."
Source Omnisport

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:I see Chris Sutton has opened his big mouth again.

Former Celtic star Chris Sutton has criticised the timing of Brendan Rodgers' departure and suggested the manager has let fans down.

Celtic announced on Tuesday (AEDT) that they had "very reluctantly" given Rodgers permission to travel to Leicester for talks and he has now sealed a return to the Premier League.

The 46-year-old won all three domestic honours in his first two seasons in charge at Parkhead and appeared on course to repeat that achievement again in a third campaign.

Ex-Celtic striker Sutton therefore questioned Rodgers' decision to move to a mid-table Premier League club at this stage, while he questioned the coach's past comments about his "dream job" in Glasgow.

"It looks like Brendan Rodgers is off to Leicester City and, quite frankly, it stinks," Sutton said in a video posted to BT Sport's Twitter page before Rodgers' move to Leicester was confirmed.

"The timing of it stinks. He's going to a club who are playing for absolutely nothing. They're not going to get relegated, not going to get into Europe, and I am really disappointed.

"I think there are a lot of Celtic fans out there who will feel let down. This was the job which Brendan said was his 'dream job'. Why is he going now to a club who have nothing to play for?
"It looks like Neil Lennon will get the opportunity [to manage Celtic] and I wish him well.
"In terms of how Brendan has left the club, I think he's left the club in a tough situation. [They have had] short-term loans and losing the centre-half pairing and the right-back in the summer.
"There's a big overhaul which needs doing but, at the moment, it's about the here and now."
Providing a review of Rodgers' time in charge at Celtic, Sutton praised his domestic exploits but said the former Liverpool boss found life in European competition "too tough".
He also offered a potential reason for Rodgers' departure, suggesting his relationship with chief executive Peter Lawwell may never have recovered from a tough close-season transfer market.
"Europe has been too tough for Brendan, as it has been for a lot of Celtic managers.
"He's been very negative of late. There has been a breakdown in the relationship with Peter Lawwell - Brendan threw him under the bus earlier in the season and, from that moment you're thinking, 'This isn't going to last'.
"The bottom line is the timing of this absolutely stinks. Brendan Rodgers is a top coach and I certainly wish him well. But come on, Brendan, the timing is poor."
Source Omnisport
He is paid to be a pundit, why is it his big mouth?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Sounds like Chris Sutton is right AGAIN.

He has let fans down.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Kane offside in the leadup to his equalising penalty. Absorbing & tense derby @ Wembley.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Old Master wrote:I see Chris Sutton has opened his big mouth again.

Source Omnisport
He is paid to be a pundit, why is it his big mouth?

Sounds like Sutton is 100% correct.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Kane offside in the leadup to his equalising penalty. Absorbing & tense derby @ Wembley.
Surely you don’t begrudge Spurs a little bit of good fortune after all the luck Arsenal have had down the years :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Was kane technically offside? He was fouled before he could actually challenge for the ball.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:Was kane technically offside? He was fouled before he could actually challenge for the ball.

Interesting.

I would say he's gained an advantage by being in an offside position, therefore - offside.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Arsenal with a gritty 2-0 win against a strong ManU.

Into fourth position and now only 1 point behind Tottering and effectively two games clear of Chelski because of goal difference.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Back down we go...can someone please hand us a parachute ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

swannsong wrote:Back down we go...can someone please hand us a parachute ?
You get about $60m, what more do you want?
Danny Blanchflower