AUFC-W and Season 2018-19

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

AUFC-W and Season 2018-19

Post by billy the kid »

Obviously the fact that we did not make the finals doesn't sit well with a lot and it should. Especially after a promising start to the season where we were sitting comfortably in the top 4. AUFC-W was talked about in positive terms and the game that we played and the improvement we made. Players both local and overseas were spoken about in glowing terms and so was our game. The heroics of Sarah in goals was brilliant.

It's good to feel disappointed because the drop off in form and the results need to be addressed if we are to move forward. Melbourne Victory bounced back after a couple of lean seasons and finished top.

I cannot question the endeavour of ALL our players or the coaches. You’re on the park and for mine, you are already winners. Thank you for doing what you all did and for entertaining with your exceptional abilities. The roller coaster ride was inevitable but gave us a chance to dream “what if?”.

The model we use in SA is/does cause some issue. What is a better or ideal model is something I am certain Ivan has been dealing with and in a perfect world, the local players and the overseas players would all come together 2 months before the start of the season. This won’t happen. Hopefully AUFC, the players both current and prospective (local) and the WNPL clubs and the FFSA get around the table and star to make decisions on how we can become a real force.

Roll on 2019-2020

Happy to read your views.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AUFC-W and Season 2018-19

Post by eagleboy »

What's happened here. Les Murray would be rolling over.

SBS ditch Brisbane v Sydney match
SBS have ditched coverage of the W-League semi-final between Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC on Sunday evening.
The highly anticipated match will only be shown to Australian residents with access to Foxtel, Kayo Sports and the My Football Live App.
The news came on Friday afternoon when a media release from FFA with the details for both semi-finals was sent out and didn't include SBS Viceland as a channel to cover Roar and Sydney.
The Women's Game contacted SBS to comment but later in the day SBS: The World Game released information on their Twitter about the decision.
Instead of a W-League semi-final, the pre-scheduled program being shown in the slot is Free Money: The Case For Basic Income and Ultimate Airport Dubai.
Obviously, fans were upset with the decision especially when the W-League draw, which was announced in September last year, saw FFA’s Head of A-League & W-League Greg O’Rourke say:
“It’s also fantastic to welcome back SBS for another season of the Westfield W-League on free-to-air TV, with 15 matches as well as the Finals Series."
However, if you are an international fan you can still watch the match via ESPN+ (USA), BT Sports 2 (UK), BT Sport Live (Ireland), SkySports Pop-Up (New Zealand) and countries not covered by right can watch it on YouTube via the official My Football Channel.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

SBS's decision is rubbish. And disrespectful. It's not like there wasn't enough lead time to plan or anything.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

juniorsupporter wrote:SBS's decision is rubbish. And disrespectful. It's not like there wasn't enough lead time to plan or anything.
Disrespectful is an understatement. Publicly funded and replacing a live broadcast with Free Money: The Case For Basic Income and Ultimate Airport Dubai.

They forget they are publicly funded and should be closed down. All they extreme lefties have taken it over.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

eagleboy wrote:
juniorsupporter wrote:SBS's decision is rubbish. And disrespectful. It's not like there wasn't enough lead time to plan or anything.
Disrespectful is an understatement. Publicly funded and replacing a live broadcast with Free Money: The Case For Basic Income and Ultimate Airport Dubai.

They forget they are publicly funded and should be closed down. All they extreme lefties have taken it over.
Firstly, they're broadcasting the first semi final right now.

Secondly, the dates and times of the semis were only set after the final round last weekend.

Thirdly, SBS do not hold the full rights to the W-League, Fox do and are broadcasting it.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I suppose if Greg O’Rourke hadn’t said the Finals Series would be broadcast on SBS, none of us would be disappointed...seemed like a last minute decision. I still think that both semi finals could and should have been broadcast on SBS.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Poor form not to have it on free to air. I was lucky enough to watch both games and they were both sensational. Disgraceful

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

billy the kid wrote:Poor form not to have it on free to air. I was lucky enough to watch both games and they were both sensational. Disgraceful
what was the officiating like in the second game ?

I thought the all the ones involved in the Victory /Glory game were not up to scratch.
Some of the tackles game could've got out of hand, instead of wasting time talking to players just show them a yellow card they will take more notice and most times settle down quicker.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

You get that in finals. Yes there were questionable decisions and non-decisions. Is it acceptable at W League level and in a final? No
The General wrote:
billy the kid wrote:Poor form not to have it on free to air. I was lucky enough to watch both games and they were both sensational. Disgraceful
what was the officiating like in the second game ?

I thought the all the ones involved in the Victory /Glory game were not up to scratch.
Some of the tackles game could've got out of hand, instead of wasting time talking to players just show them a yellow card they will take more notice and most times settle down quicker.